Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The thing is, if you get a camera with decent manual controls you don't really need to to do AEB. You can just set it to manual and move the shutter speed up and down as many stops as you like. Sure AEB do it in one button press but if you are gonna put it on a tripod anyways it's no big deal .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Well, if you think about it, it's just what the lens normally does, but backwards. The light rays bend the same way.

Works with any normal lens, you can do it with medium format too. My loupe is a Pentax 67 105/2.4 :getin:

I actually have and tried that lens, but the cheapo canon 50mm seemed to work the best out of what I own.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

akadajet posted:

I actually have and tried that lens, but the cheapo canon 50mm seemed to work the best out of what I own.

Time to take my pixel peeping to a whole new level.

:getin:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Best tripod I can get via amazon prime for <$250? Weight doesn’t matter.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.
Are any of the phone lenses actually worth getting?

Kilometers Davis posted:

Best tripod I can get via amazon prime for <$250? Weight doesn’t matter.
With a head or without a head?
If you want one with a head, people seem to like the Mefoto Globetrotter which is currently 200 on Amazon for most colors. Don't have any experience with it but apparently it's a bit beefier than the Manfrotto BeFree.

I've never owned a tripod nice enough to come headless so someone else will have to answer that.
e: maybe this? https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MT190XPRO4-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B00G36G9Q4

Moatman fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Dec 13, 2017

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I have an older, carbon fiber version of that Manfrotto 190. 3 section not 4. I think I paid $200 for it on eBay, then added an Inturo ballhead from Adorama that was on sale for $99. Always been happy with both, personally.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Moatman posted:

You mean like the wide angle/zoom/fisheye/macro ones you can get that clip onto a phone? I have a set and they're fun.

Wide angle:

Zoom:

Fisheye was worth every penny for this sort of image, which isn't exactly high photography but still fun:

I dunno if there exists a higher grade of the things than what I bought, but for the collective $18 or whatever I paid for the two kits was totally worth it.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Cross-posting from the mirrorless thread because I just realized this thread exists!

dy. posted:

Not sure if there is a "recommend me a camera" thread or what so starting here. I'm in the market for my first "real" camera and would like to go mirrorless for the portability. I don't need something that's going to fit entirely in my jeans pocket but I would like to be able to throw it into a small backpack when traveling. I don't have anything super-specific that I'm looking for, but I always love pictures with sharp, vibrant colors. I enjoy landscape and nature photography. I don't feel like I'm going to need to shoot a lot of moving subjects. I would love to get into something that is reasonably weather-sealed if possible just so I can take it camping or hiking without worry too much about the conditions.

I was leaning towards something like a a6000 or a6300 but have been scared off recently by the e-mount lens system (very expensive and possibly dead?)

My budget is anywhere between $500-1000, I don't really know how to split that up between camera and lenses. Please recommend a good starter package!

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

I have a tiny cavalcade of cameras:

Sony Alpha NEX-5N (2011) with an E-mount 16 mm F2.8 Wide Angle lens
Sony Cybershot TX-10 (2011) [sadly there's a little chip in the bottom of the body next to the camera compartment so I don't think it's as waterproof anymore]
Canon PowerShot A60 (2004)
35mm Nikon EM (1981 or 80, according to my dad) with a 28 mm Rokinon lens
and a 35mm Smena Symbol (it has a little made in USSR mark on the bottom of it and I have no idea what year it was made but it's still light tight and that's all I care about)

I've been eyeing bridge camera bundles in the sub-$400 range to maybe replace my TX-10 as a travel camera when I'm in the middle of nowhere.. is this the wrong tree to be going up? Should I be braver about where I take my NEX? It takes lovely pictures but I've never really shopped around for other lenses since they seem to cost so much and I like the idea of a big zoom; the one I have on it now only does digital zoom to middling results.

Something like the Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-HX400V seems really neat (and relatively cheap) since it has built in GPS, but as far as I can tell it isn't weatherproofed.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rincewind101 posted:

I've been eyeing bridge camera bundles in the sub-$400 range to maybe replace my TX-10 as a travel camera when I'm in the middle of nowhere.. is this the wrong tree to be going up? Should I be braver about where I take my NEX? It takes lovely pictures but I've never really shopped around for other lenses since they seem to cost so much and I like the idea of a big zoom; the one I have on it now only does digital zoom to middling results.

The problem with superzoom (ultrawide to ultra-long) is that the quality tends to suck, and they tend to have a slow aperture that requires good lighting. You really should have a kit lens for your camera (the 18-55 OSS), and Sigma makes a couple nice pancake primes (the 30/2.8 and 19/2.8). You can also adapt a wide variety of cheap telephoto lenses (eg Nikkor 105/2.5, Pentax 135/2.5, or Samyang 135/2) if you are OK with manual-focus.

What is your concern about bringing your NEX? The 5N is dirt-cheap at this point, it's like a $150 camera. You're not going to find anything much more disposable than that.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Moatman posted:

With a head or without a head?
If you want one with a head, people seem to like the Mefoto Globetrotter which is currently 200 on Amazon for most colors. Don't have any experience with it but apparently it's a bit beefier than the Manfrotto BeFree.

I've never owned a tripod nice enough to come headless so someone else will have to answer that.
e: maybe this? https://www.amazon.com/Manfrotto-MT190XPRO4-Section-Aluminum-Tripod/dp/B00G36G9Q4

I started to spend a million hours researching tripods and ab testing until my eyes started bleeding but I said gently caress option paralysis and went with a globetrotter. Thanks for the recommendation! It seems like exactly what I want.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Paul MaudDib posted:

The 5N is dirt-cheap at this point, it's like a $150 camera.

wait what
poo poo
I never realized it got so cheap - I remember paying $600 for it years ago. It goes for $150 on ebay, or...?
Could I get the next step or two up in the NEX line for 300? whatever that is

I've never tried adapting a lens before

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Reading up, that sounds like it'd do what I need, too, where exactly is that a $150 buy?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rincewind101 posted:

wait what
poo poo
I never realized it got so cheap - I remember paying $600 for it years ago. It goes for $150 on ebay, or...?
Could I get the next step or two up in the NEX line for 300? whatever that is

I've never tried adapting a lens before

Javid posted:

Reading up, that sounds like it'd do what I need, too, where exactly is that a $150 buy?

Yup, ebay or at KEH or whatever (none in stock at the moment).

If you are buying a camera I would go for a 5R or 5T, they are pretty close to the same price but they have the phase-detect sensor which drastically improves autofocus speed/accuracy on moving targets. The 5T model adds wifi, which is dumb and useless, but whatever. The A6000 is a little more expensive but has the PDAF sensor and also an electronic viewfinder too, which is nice. I think it might focus a bit faster too, it's an overall better camera. If you have a $300 budget that's not a bad option.

Sony's low-end E-mount cameras are super cheap and super good. They are far and away the best bang for your buck IMO.

Adapting lenses is easy, buy Fotodiox adapters off Amazon (there are cheaper options but quality can be a bit hit-or-miss), then you just put it on the lens and then mount it normally. In your settings, turn on focus peaking and whatever's in focus will sparkle. It makes manual-focusing piss-easy.

Then, if you ever want to shoot film, you can get a cheap body like a Pentax MX or Nikon FM and get even more use out of your lens kit.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Dec 17, 2017

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Javid posted:

I can confirm that the Nex-5N is a nice camera in a pretty wide variety of situations - even in my amateurish hands.

Paul MaudDib posted:

The A6000 is a little more expensive but has the PDAF sensor and also an electronic viewfinder too, which is nice. I think it might focus a bit faster too, it's an overall better camera. If you have a $300 budget that's not a bad option.

What are the odds the A6000 goes down another hundred next year? Amazon's got it at $448.
I guess I was just wary of rain damaging my old NEX but if they're so replaceable I have no excuse.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rincewind101 posted:

What are the odds the A6000 goes down another hundred next year? Amazon's got it at $448.
I guess I was just wary of rain damaging my old NEX but if they're so replaceable I have no excuse.

There's nothing wrong with used MILCs/DSLRs, especially if you are buying from a camera store that gives you a bit of a warranty. Unlike P+S cameras they usually don't crap out for no reason.

wolfs
Jul 17, 2001

posted by squid gang

Where do you shop for cheap old manual telephoto lenses?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

rincewind101 posted:

Where do you shop for cheap old manual telephoto lenses?

Wherever. KEH, PentaxForums, APUG, ebay, etc. Or your local thrift shops, although you will have to take what you can get (it's a cheap way to try new lenses).

The ones I named are the ones I think are the best value - in rough order of cost, the Nikkor 105/2.5 (particularly AI-S since it has a built-in hood), the Pentax 135/2.5, and the Samyang 135/2 (often rebadged as Rokinon/Bower as well).

For Samyang, prefer either Pentax or Nikon mounts and buy an adapter for future flexibility - there is no reason to buy an E-mount lens even if it is available since they're full-manual anyway.

The Samyang 35/1.4 is also fantastic, as is pretty much everything except their 85/1.4, which is a touch soft (for portraits) but dirt cheap. They are really shaking up the manual-focus lens market, they are as good or better than the name-brand lenses at a fraction of the price.

eBay likes to run 8-10% eBay Bucks promos at least once a month, there was one last night. A lot of stores have eBay storefronts now and that can be a good value (check your CC for bonus cashback as well, or use eBates). The only downside to eBay bucks is they redeem once a quarter and you have to use them within a month.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 17, 2017

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Hello goon friends... I am looking to take a journey into some basic studio lighting to start doing photos of my son. I've done paid gigs before but all of them were outdoors or instances where on-camera 580EX II was enough.

What's the best approach to get started? For this year I'd like to do some great Christmas tree photos with my 1 year old in front of the tree. I am thinking of getting a nice umbrella + tripod for my 580EXII. I assume I need to invest in a radio transmitter as well? I have an off-camera cord that I've used as well which could suffice. (looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Camer...+cord+speedlite). Do I go umbrella, soft box, or a continuous light system?

I've got a 7D, a couple L lenses, but I'd probably just be using my Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 30m.. 1.2 since it will be close range.

I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-P...ASIN=B00E4YS2XU Or https://www.amazon.com/Photography-...ds=lighting+kit ... However they wouldnt make use of my 580 EXII.

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 18, 2017

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Took my 5D2 out for some portrait shooting at a friend's request. Things came out OK, but it couldn't have been a paid job. That camera has been used & abused so much, I'm remembering why I relegated it to digitizing film with a 100mm macro. Any situation more active/less controlled than that is too much for it. I don't think the performance reaches specification anymore; it feels worn out, inaccurate, and vibration-prone. I switched to my E-M10 whenever I didn't need the dof of the 100mm, and it was an all-around better performer.

But the shoot was fun. I'm thinking about upgrading to a consistently usable, new mid-tier camera. $2000 is the ceiling, and I think I've narrowed it down to two options: Fuji X-T2 or Nikon D750.

They're about as different as two ILCs can get and still be usable for my purposes: portrait and landscape. But they have different secondary uses that would be appealing to me.

D750: Full frame; all-around greater RAW flexibility.
24-120/4 kit lens is more usable for portraits and landscapes out of the box, with decent subject separation at the long end and 24mm vs 28mm(equivalent, on the Fuji kit) at the wide end.
Decent 1080p video with video-friendly features.
200-500/5.6 ED VR lens is about $400 cheaper than the Fuji, making the Nikon a better choice for my secondary objective of getting a good wildlife photography lens.

X-T2: APS X-Trans & Fuji JPEG engine; less RAW flexibility, but capable, and with great color rendition out of camera. If there's a chance I could shoot deliverable OOC JPEGS even sometimes, that's a big incentive. Some reviewers say that the Fuji sensors aren't great for landscapes, but there are some things out there that I really like (these big white borders notwithstanding).
18-55/2.8-4 kit lens is great by all accounts, but I would need to find another solution for big bokeh hunter portraits. Even adding the 55-200 would push me over the $2K limit, so I might have to adapt an MF tele for now, which would be a big compromise.
4K video capability and video features make it superior for my secondary objective of having a truly decent video camera. 100-400/45-5.6 is more expensive than the Nikon 200-500, pricing me out of a wildlife photography upgrade for a while, especially if I need to get an XF portrait lens first.

So, all-in-all, even though the D750 kit is $200 more, it's more capable out of the box. The X-T2 is a slicker overall package and has better video. It's also smaller and (in theory) not as tied to post-processing on a computer, which are both features that would make it more usable day-to-day. I have my 35mm film camera that kind of addresses those issues already, though.

Right now I'm leaning toward the D750. It seems like a better value. But I've used my coworker's X-T2, and I know it's siren song. Maybe there are some factors I've missed, or certain other ineffable qualities that you think either camera has. I need some camera counseling.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Munkaboo posted:

Hello goon friends... I am looking to take a journey into some basic studio lighting to start doing photos of my son. I've done paid gigs before but all of them were outdoors or instances where on-camera 580EX II was enough.

What's the best approach to get started? For this year I'd like to do some great Christmas tree photos with my 1 year old in front of the tree. I am thinking of getting a nice umbrella + tripod for my 580EXII. I assume I need to invest in a radio transmitter as well? I have an off-camera cord that I've used as well which could suffice. (looks like this: https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Camer...+cord+speedlite). Do I go umbrella, soft box, or a continuous light system?

I've got a 7D, a couple L lenses, but I'd probably just be using my Tamron 17-50 or Sigma 30m.. 1.2 since it will be close range.

I was looking at something like this: https://www.amazon.com/LimoStudio-P...ASIN=B00E4YS2XU Or https://www.amazon.com/Photography-...ds=lighting+kit ... However they wouldnt make use of my 580 EXII.

Get an umbrella, a cheap stand, and some radio slaves. Also read strobists 101 articles, they are a legitimately good source of info as long as you ignore the weirdo DIY stuff.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

D750: Full frame; all-around greater RAW flexibility.
24-120/4 kit lens is more usable for portraits and landscapes out of the box, with decent subject separation at the long end and 24mm vs 28mm(equivalent, on the Fuji kit) at the wide end.
Decent 1080p video with video-friendly features.
200-500/5.6 ED VR lens is about $400 cheaper than the Fuji, making the Nikon a better choice for my secondary objective of getting a good wildlife photography lens.

If you do go Nikon I would get the new Tamron or sigma 24-70s rather than the 24-120 nikon. Or if you do want the 24-120 pick it up used—you can usually find it pretty cheap.

You could adapt your Canon 100mm to the Fuji which could be a point towards it. Really I think you should try to get some time on both cameras as they’re pretty different in feel. I’d way rather have the D750 myself but I don’t know that there’s a perfect argument for one vs. the other in your case.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

8th-snype posted:

Get an umbrella, a cheap stand, and some radio slaves. Also read strobists 101 articles, they are a legitimately good source of info as long as you ignore the weirdo DIY stuff.

Thanks.... Any recs for a cheap radio?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Munkaboo posted:

Thanks.... Any recs for a cheap radio?

I personally use Godox flashes and triggers but if you aren't super concerned about off camera TTL you could pick up a cheap Neewer or Cowbody studio set of dumb triggers.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I've heard good things about the Godox triggers. I've personally had great success with cactus triggers for cheaper options. v5 are great dumb triggers (transceivers) and v6 are TTL (also transceivers) if I remember correctly.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

powderific posted:

If you do go Nikon I would get the new Tamron or sigma 24-70s rather than the 24-120 nikon. Or if you do want the 24-120 pick it up used—you can usually find it pretty cheap.

You could adapt your Canon 100mm to the Fuji which could be a point towards it. Really I think you should try to get some time on both cameras as they’re pretty different in feel. I’d way rather have the D750 myself but I don’t know that there’s a perfect argument for one vs. the other in your case.

I'd heard that the 24-120 was good, but since you mentioned it I dug a little deeper and found some decidedly mixed reviews for it. Good to know. I thought that its main compromise was in the level of distortion (which alone is kind of a bummer since I would've liked to use it with my Nikon film camera), but yeah it also seems to not be that sharp. One pretty objective review called it 'seemingly designed for no more than 12MP sensors' - sounds like a bad investment for the future.

With the 24-120 being less good, the value proposition for the D750 is evening out with the X-T2. Unless the pre-ART (DG EX) Sigma 24-70/2.8 or older Tamron version are any better than the Nikon 24-120.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Verman posted:

I've heard good things about the Godox triggers. I've personally had great success with cactus triggers for cheaper options. v5 are great dumb triggers (transceivers) and v6 are TTL (also transceivers) if I remember correctly.

Yeah I had v2 cactus triggers for almost a decade.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Thinking of getting this stuff:

Godox XPRO Transmitter: https://www.amazon.com/Godox-TTL-Co...+triggers&psc=1

Godox X1R-C Receiver: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B016QAK3TU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=AMIHU7JS0U6DA&psc=1

Godox S-type Bracket Bowens Mount Holder for Speedlite: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JS3MINC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A11SIRN2SMBLGK&psc=1

StudioPRO 43 Inch Photography Black/White Umbrella Reflector: https://www.amazon.com/StudioPRO-Photography-Black-Umbrella-Reflector/dp/B00FJ1JJRA/ref=sr_1_12?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1513651732

Is this everything I need?

Munkaboo fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 19, 2017

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'd heard that the 24-120 was good, but since you mentioned it I dug a little deeper and found some decidedly mixed reviews for it. Good to know. I thought that its main compromise was in the level of distortion (which alone is kind of a bummer since I would've liked to use it with my Nikon film camera), but yeah it also seems to not be that sharp. One pretty objective review called it 'seemingly designed for no more than 12MP sensors' - sounds like a bad investment for the future.

With the 24-120 being less good, the value proposition for the D750 is evening out with the X-T2. Unless the pre-ART (DG EX) Sigma 24-70/2.8 or older Tamron version are any better than the Nikon 24-120.

Replied in the Nikon thread too but the 24-120 was my main zoom when I had a D800 so it's not like it only works with 12 mp or something. And the range on it is really convenient.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Pretty much. Consider getting a shoot through umbrella as well, or a convertible one. They lose lots of light but can give you a very soft source especially in a room with low ceilings.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
Also consider a full set of these versatile modifiers.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Holy poo poo finally TCM is coming to Godox

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

I'd say get a convertible umbrella instead so you can also use it to shoot through. You'll also want a light stand if you don't have one.

And that trigger and receiver will serve you well -- down the line if you decide to add more flashes, you can go the Godox / Flashpoint route and buy into a system that have Godox X receivers built in.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any thoughts on walkaround lenses for my D850? The 50 1.8g is about the perfect size but I'd rather have a 28 or 35 and none of the options seem ideal. I'd really like to have autofocus or the Voigtlander 28mm would be perfect.

Options I see:
  • Nikon 28mm 1.8G. My preferred focal length, but some people report bad focus shift at f4 and f5.6. Other people haven't had an issue, so maybe there's some sample variation issues?
  • Nikon 35mm 1.8G. If this is better than the 28 I'd consider it, but otherwise I'd rather have the slightly wider frame
  • Tamron 35mm 1.8 VC. Little bigger and heavier than the other two; haven't heard many impressions of it. I like that it focuses extra close.

Did I miss anything? I really wish Nikon had some pancakes like Pentax.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If it were my money it’d be the tamron or the 35/1.8. I’ve liked every tamron lens I’ve used. The Nikon is just passable, but cheap and light.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

I'm a huge Tamron fanboy. Of my lenses, I've bought more Tamron than any other company, with a close second of Sigma.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

I'm a huge Tamron fanboy. Of my lenses, I've bought more Tamron than any other company, with a close second of Sigma.

I bought some Sigma lenses when starting out and they couldn't autofocus for poo poo.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The focus ring rubber on my 24-70 G2 tamron fell off in the first week so I'm a little wary of their finish quality, but could have been a fluke. Their parts department is completely out of replacements though so I wonder if it's a design flaw.

edit: I've always had better AF experiences with first party lenses, but I don't remember the Sigma 35 1.4 I rented being too bad on focus. Don't want one for this cause they're heavy and expensive though.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

akadajet posted:

I bought some Sigma lenses when starting out and they couldn't autofocus for poo poo.

Dunno what to tell you. I've never had a problem with that, so maybe I just got lucky. It's entirely possible that my experiences aren't representative of the greater whole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Dunno what to tell you. I've never had a problem with that, so maybe I just got lucky. It's entirely possible that my experiences aren't representative of the greater whole

Same, but I got twice burned on them. Which is a shame because the optics were fabulous.