Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Henckels International knives - is an 17-piece set (of which 8 are steak knives) worth 250 CAD if I can get it on clearance at Canadian Tire? They're forged rather than stamped, at least.

Knife sets usually include a bunch of stuff you don't actually want or need and are of low quality in general. I'd get a good Chef's Knife & paring knife and expand from there based on your needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I just got a Bosch Universal mixer. I've made triple and quadruple batches of everything and it's amazing :kimchi:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
So I picked up a sifter this year and I love it. But I’m an idiot would add my salt to my spices/soda/powder etc and sift it with flour. It’s clear to me that it’s rubbed off some of the coating and there’s rust...

I assume I should just pick up another sifter?

Canuck-Errant
Oct 28, 2003

MOOD: BURNING - MUSIC: DISCO INFERNO BY THE TRAMMPS
Grimey Drawer
Foley make some aluminum flour sifters if you want something that won't rust.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Happiness Commando posted:

I just got a Bosch Universal mixer. I've made triple and quadruple batches of everything and it's amazing :kimchi:

I got one last year and haven't made any doughs in my kitchenaid since.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Canuck-Errant posted:

Foley make some aluminum flour sifters if you want something that won't rust.

I’m finding conflicting care instructions for sifters, who could imagine people can’t agree on something like that on the Internet?

What do y’all do w your sifters? I like the one I have now, it’s basic and effective, and was really well rated but I’m not sure if I wanna get another if it’s gonna do this again, etc.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Did you put it in the dishwasher

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

There's no reason to ever really need to wash a sifter if you're just using it for flour.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
INSTANT POT Question:

We are a family of 4. Is an 8qt overkill? I mean, most of the times, it will not be. But do Instant Pots work in a way where you HAVE to fill them a certain amount or whatever?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Feenix posted:

INSTANT POT Question:

We are a family of 4. Is an 8qt overkill? I mean, most of the times, it will not be. But do Instant Pots work in a way where you HAVE to fill them a certain amount or whatever?

I have often wanted a larger pressure cooker. I have never wanted a smaller pressure cooker. Get the 8qt. There's effectively no minimum fill, and you're only going to get 6qt of actual fill out of the 8qt anyway.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I have often wanted a larger pressure cooker. I have never wanted a smaller pressure cooker. Get the 8qt. There's effectively no minimum fill, and you're only going to get 6qt of actual fill out of the 8qt anyway.

Thanks. It's been sold out everywhere and even yesterday at Target there was none and I walked in (for something else) and was like, "I should check" and there was one 8qt left.Woop!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
8qt is definitely the way to go. I got the 6 quart on a Cyber Monday deal and while it is great, I was right at max fill to make ~3qt of chicken stock. Not having to babysit a pot for half a day is nice though.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

My recent kitchen jobs have introduced me to the wonder of immersion/stick blenders, as I regularly blend soups/eggs in 5 gallon buckets with this loving monster that weighs as much as I do. What's a recommendation for a good home model? I'm making potato leek soup right now and thinking, "gently caress, I wish I had one."

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

JacquelineDempsey posted:

My recent kitchen jobs have introduced me to the wonder of immersion/stick blenders, as I regularly blend soups/eggs in 5 gallon buckets with this loving monster that weighs as much as I do. What's a recommendation for a good home model? I'm making potato leek soup right now and thinking, "gently caress, I wish I had one."

I have a Cuisinart one, it works fine.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I think I've had this one for a few years now and it's pretty decent for home use.

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

Does Cuisinart still make one without the annoying safety button on top? Mine doesn't have it, but I used a new one recently and found it to be a pain. If they make ones without it, buy that one.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I have the basic $30 Cuisinart one with the white plastic body and it's been up to any task I've thrown at it (soups, mayo, turning dried chiles into paste). However it's at least 6-7 years old and doesn't have that safety button. Looks like the new ones do? I googled it and that looks really annoying.

If I was going to do it all over again I'd probably get one of the ones that can double as a mini food processor (instead of having two separate things).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Thanks for the replies! And good looking out, reminding me to check about whether it has the safety. My first encounter with a commercial size stick, that one didn't have a safety. My current kitchen's does, and it's a pain, especially when I'm already struggling to hold this 11 pound beast above chest level in 5 gallon buckets and trying not to create an eggnado (god help you if you touch the bottom of the bucket, it'll suction right on and then create a vortex strong enough to alert the National Weather Service)

quote:

If I was going to do it all over again I'd probably get one of the ones that can double as a mini food processor (instead of having two separate things).

This sounds intriguing, as I could also use a mini chop-chop. Got a link you could throw me?

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Dec 19, 2017

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
hay guise check out these knives wot do you think

125 bucks!

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

This sounds intriguing, as I could also use a mini chop-chop. Got a link you could throw me?

https://www.cuisinart.com/products/hand_blenders/csb-79.html

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MCIXO60/ref=pd_aw_fbt_79_img_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EHD89X778BA15F446VP3

I take that back, I guess. The first has that dumb button and for the second one you also need the All Clad stick, which brings the total cost to almost $150. Maybe try to find a cheap, old, :derp: UNSAFE :derp: Cuisinart on eBay? I tend to pulse a lot and having to dick with a second button would drive me nuts.

Maybe I won the cheap equipment lottery, but I think this is one area where the extra bucks don't buy you much. I have a cheap, crappy mini processor (Hamilton Beach, probably about 10 years old) to match my cheap stick blender and no complaints so far. My expensive full size versions mostly sulk in a cabinet, making me feel guilty about putting them on the wedding registry because OF COURSE I'll use that 14 cup Cuisinart all the time! :byodood:

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've used a few immersion blenders, and the nicer ones certainly felt more powerful. I don't think they actually did a better job, except for whipping cream or egg whites (because of the higher rpm). I use my Magimix for that, though, because it takes literal seconds.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
I bought an immersion blender at ALDI for $20. It has one button operation and has done exactly what I need it to for a few months now. I’m skeptical of its long-term vitality but I like it for now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have an Instant Pot 8 qt. Not opening it until after xmas, but I read extra seals were good because of flavor/aroma absorption. I go looking on Amazon and I mostly see 5 and 6qt seals. Anyone have any good recommendations for the 8 qt seals?

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have an electric stove that I can't replace, so I'm looking into getting a powerful portable gas stove that I can just put on one of the burners and never move as a compromise (also want to get into wok cooking finally with this). Any recommendations?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Any concerns with getting a certified refurb Kitchenaid mixer? I was looking at getting the 600 Pro and a refurb is as low as $250 vs a new one at $350. Not sure how good the refurbs are, or how easy/hard they are to service if something wears out.

This is mainly for cookies and other desserts, and pizza dough once a week, I'm getting that this model will do totally fine for that?

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Any concerns with getting a certified refurb Kitchenaid mixer? I was looking at getting the 600 Pro and a refurb is as low as $250 vs a new one at $350. Not sure how good the refurbs are, or how easy/hard they are to service if something wears out.

This is mainly for cookies and other desserts, and pizza dough once a week, I'm getting that this model will do totally fine for that?

I got my refurb Pro 6000 HD on that occasional Amazon sale for less than $200 years ago and it's been a champ of a mixer, still going strong and no problems.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My wife is starting to do a lot of baking these days, and has been looking at those Kitchenaid mixers. For someone who is just learning and mucking about in the kitchen, are one of those Artisan Ultra 450w models alright? They're less than half the price of the 600 Pros, even on sale, around us at this time of year. Plus the "pretty colours" are on sale vs. not with the 600 Pro models (only grey and red).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I don't know what constitutes "a lot" or what type of baking, but if it's bread you don't want to skimp. Link the mixer too, I can't find reference to a 450 watt which is less dramatic than the regular artisan v pro.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

The Gvode Flex Edge Beater for KitchenAid Tilt-Head Stand Mixer 4.5 and 5 Quart (White) is on sale for $13.35 for the next hour and 20 minutes.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Which sous vide immersion circulator do we like these days? There are so many. I don’t really care about WiFi, FWIW.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
What are you guys’ thoughts on Woll Diamond Plus pans and such? My mom just told me she got one and it has diamond stuff in it or whatever and for the first time she’s ever witnessed a truth to the claim of an egg sliding off with no oil.

She’s not usually one for hype. (Quite the opposite, actually...) so now I’m curious. What’s your take, if anyone knows?

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Lawnie posted:

Which sous vide immersion circulator do we like these days? There are so many. I don’t really care about WiFi, FWIW.

I have this Anova and it works fine.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arcsech posted:

I have this Anova and it works fine.

Does anyone think the extra 100 watts are worth the $30 bucks to go up to the WiFi model?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Lawnie posted:

Does anyone think the extra 100 watts are worth the $30 bucks to go up to the WiFi model?

I think so. WiFi is occasionally convenient and extra power is nice insurance.... if you plan to use it a lot, amortize 30 bucks over the number of uses and it becomes a no brainer.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I think an extra 100w is actually waaaay worth $30, whereas wireless can go suck itself.

:v:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I don't know what constitutes "a lot" or what type of baking, but if it's bread you don't want to skimp. Link the mixer too, I can't find reference to a 450 watt which is less dramatic than the regular artisan v pro.

Sorry, I got confused with all of Kitchenaid's models, it appears that some that look just like the Artisan aren't actually Artisans and there are multiple models that all look the same but are apparently vastly different?

This is the main one I'm asking about specifically: https://goo.gl/13ejgr

She'd never be doing bread, mostly cookies and that kind of stuff.

{edit} holy poo poo theres 15 different models of these things

VERTiG0 fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 26, 2017

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

MrYenko posted:

I think an extra 100w is actually waaaay worth $30, whereas wireless can go suck itself.

:v:

I paid more for the 800w a couple years ago than the 900w is today!

The BT feature is mostly useless when I can just look across the room, but the extra 100w seems like the kind of thing you could only regret by not having.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

VERTiG0 posted:

This is the main one I'm asking about specifically: https://goo.gl/13ejgr

I have this one:

KitchenAid KSM150PSES Artisan Series 5-Qt. Stand Mixer with Pouring Shield - Espresso https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BHGSZI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_1xQqAbK5QM6XS

It's got a handle on the bowl, a larger bowl and a 325 watt motor and it's only $20 more in some of the colors. I used it to bake cookies last week, and it handles double batches just fine (think like 5-6 dozen decently sized cookies).

I wouldn't make bread in it, but it handles everything up to tough Oatmeal Raisin cookie dough just fine.

Disclaimer: I didn't research this purchase, it was given to me as a gift.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 26, 2017

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
It is indeed only $20 more. I think I'll be looking at those. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Thanks all, I ordered the one with WiFi for the extra power. The first time I put too much product in the bag, I’m sure I’ll appreciate having the extra power.