Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Bongo Bill posted:

When you have few badges, strong wild pokemon can sense you are weak, and contemptuously ignore you, but perhaps you're an appropriate challenge for the weak babies.

When you have many, strong wild pokemon can sense you are strong, and they want to challenge themselves against your strength.

The badges themselves just mean your power is acknowledged by humans.

That could be halfway plausible. I mean, that's pretty much Tapu Koko's whole thing: Get strong enough that wrasslin' you is worth my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

The Shiny Charm just rolls the personality value 3 times instead of 1 to determine if a Pokemon is Shiny, so it doesn't care about anything else, so get it and go nuts.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i have the shiny charm i think, but i have all the pokemon in the dex so like....whatever thanks for the worthless trinket

now the pokemon nurse outfit on the other hand, that was a much better gift

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

I mean it'd work if someone lent me a poipole for the pokedex data and then a naganadel for the pokedex data but that'd be a dumb thing to ask of someone. I'll just rough it.

Used my Love Ball on a ralts (worth it for breeding purposes) but now I'm slightly regretting not snagging a jangmo-o with it, since shiny jangmo-o even has a pink heart motif. Ah well. Does anyone else refuse to evolve certain shinies for aesthetics? I've got a shiny wooper named Axolottie that I'm going to raise to level 100 without evolving. For... the joke...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
so bulbapedia mentioned deerling is catchable in gen 6, but it didnt really explain how its gimmick is presented. does it still determine season by month despite not being a feature or is the form random?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

mandatory lesbian posted:

so bulbapedia mentioned deerling is catchable in gen 6, but it didnt really explain how its gimmick is presented. does it still determine season by month despite not being a feature or is the form random?

If I remember, Deerling and Sawsbuck are only available in its Spring form in Gen 6 (both as Sawsbuck from the Friend Safari and as Deerling from Dexnav). The other forms (Summer, Autumn and Winter) are only available from the Gen 5 games. When transferred to Gen 6, they'll be locked into whichever form they were in. The form is passed down by breeding though, so a Summer Form Sawsbuck will produce Summer form Deerling.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Borsche69 posted:

It makes no thematic sense why all the strong pokemon are on one route and not another. Each route should really have a mix of level 2 babies and level 40 fearows
Perhaps the level 40 fearows have already eaten all the tiny, nutritious baby pokemon

i have the shiny charm i think, but i have all the pokemon in the dex so like....whatever thanks for the worthless trinket

now the pokemon nurse outfit on the other hand, that was a much better gift
wait nurse outfit what

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

Perhaps the level 40 fearows have already eaten all the tiny, nutritious baby pokemon

wait nurse outfit what

go to gamefreak and talk to the guy who gives you the charm

if youre a guy you get something inferior i think, bc pokemon wont get with the times and let guys wear skirts in game

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

go to gamefreak and talk to the guy who gives you the charm

if youre a guy you get something inferior i think, bc pokemon wont get with the times and let guys wear skirts in game
Guys get a karate outfit. Clearly inferior to the stylish 3-piece mix and matchable nurse outfit.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

The White Dragon posted:

>GYM LEADER CLAIR sent out DRATINI
>DRATINI used GROWL

Except it would actually be:

DRATINI used DRAGON RAGE!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

People keep saying that a more open game wouldn't work without giving any kind of reason for why. I don't really get it. Pokemon isn't the world's most complex game - the ability to travel to basically any area (barring some post-game stuff or the E4) isn't going to break it.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Borsche69 posted:

People keep saying that a more open game wouldn't work without giving any kind of reason for why. I don't really get it. Pokemon isn't the world's most complex game - the ability to travel to basically any area (barring some post-game stuff or the E4) isn't going to break it.

There were many reasons given why, and here's two off the top of my head:

1. It's a kid's game. It's been shown in the past that if you give them a choice of where to go they can get lost.
2. Level scaling. How would you scale the levels in an area, would it be based on your party, your average box level, etc.

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
If you'd told me the next Zelda was gonna be an open-world game I'd have screwed up my nose like a five-year-old at peas, but here we are with BotW in my top 5 games of all time.

I think you could do a massive, seismic shakeup of Pokemon in a similar vein and have it be incredible, but it'd be a monstrous undertaking and I'm not sure GF is gonna shake the formula up two generations in a row.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

To be fair, Zelda has been "psudo-open" for a while now. Yeah it railroads you but it's not going to stop you if you want to do fire temple before forest in OoT.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

iospace posted:

There were many reasons given why, and here's two off the top of my head:

1. It's a kid's game. It's been shown in the past that if you give them a choice of where to go they can get lost.
2. Level scaling. How would you scale the levels in an area, would it be based on your party, your average box level, etc.

1. All you need is a bunch of NPCs telling you where you should go next. I'm playing HG and you can visit like 1/4 of Kanto without going into a single gym. And everywhere I went, NPCs kept telling me about drama at the power plant.
2. I think it probably wouldn't be too hard to scale gym leaders by how many badges you have, so that each gym is increasingly difficult no matter what order you do them in. Do gym leaders usually have custom movelists or is it like wild mons learning/overwriting moves based on level? Could change up ingame strategy like "if you do X-leader 5th, his most powerful mon has jack poo poo for coverage, otherwise he's a real tough bastard"
Wild mons and trainers, though, it'd be way too much effort to have them scale.
If I wanted to make the game less railsy, I'd start the player in the centre of the map and have ~four main path options. Wild mons are more docile in the more populated centre of the country and get scarier the further you go into the mountains/forests on the fringes, the offshore islands, and so on. Easiest experience is to do the four towns closest to yours first, then the further four. Or have a more grindy experience by pushing all the way down the first "spoke"/path doing those two gyms first, but the tradeoff is you're overleveled when you go back through your hometown and start the second leg of the journey. Of course, you can always mitigate that by cycling through a larger team. Or make for the perimeter and do a loop of the country so the "inner" gyms are the hardest ones but you struggle to survive at first then smash through everything but the gyms for the second half, just for ha-has. As long as there's NPCs to guide younger players through the easiest path, this could be a fun solution without totally redefining how the game works.
I can't remember, does hard mode in gen 5 change the levels of wild mons any? Cause you could also implement an automatic "harder mode activates" once you have 4 badges, so that the lower-level wildmons/trainers get a bit of a boost so you don't have to have a steamroller area. Doesn't seem like that would be hard to implement, if it's only two tiers, but what do I know.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Diet Poison posted:

1. All you need is a bunch of NPCs telling you where you should go next. I'm playing HG and you can visit like 1/4 of Kanto without going into a single gym. And everywhere I went, NPCs kept telling me about drama at the power plant.

A really bad example because there's basically gently caress all to do in Kanto.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

You could have a phone where you call a helpful NPC who tells you where to go next, but kids would forget to call.

The NPC could call you periodically, but that would be annoying.

It's not intractable, but it is more work than armchair designers typically realize.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Also, I don't actually want an open world pokemon game. Like I'd play it, because it's new pokemon, but I like linear games.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

An open world Pokemon game is just a logistical nightmare. Going with gyms (as this should be the easiest example to understand) you need to have all of them be at least somewhat of a challenge, which means giving them a team for each possible placement: that's eight teams each (0-7 badges). Going beyond that, you have to keep the wild Pokemon levelled enough so that the player can get some experience, and you'd want to have the right evolution tier in each, meaning that just raising levels per badge is not enough, but you also need the player to be able to see them all so you can't just completely remove a stage and make it unobtainable without breeding either.

The other choice is, of course, to just flatten levels entirely. That gives us Gen 2 and how awful it is to actually play, nostalgia be damned, and the remakes made it even worse. It's not a solution.

And of course, even if you do it right, you'll alienate the part of the fanbase that likes linear games and doesn't like open worlds or that wants to play a more normal Pokemon game. You lose more players than you gain.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I really wish people would stop pretending that "open world" was some magic panacea to game design fatigue. Not every franchise can just be slotted into open world and make a good game.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Also you need a super competent team to make open world work. Miyamoto and Aonuma can make open world work for their IPs, even if it's not perfect. Game Freak? Ehhhhhhh, let's see what the Switch game is like, you never know what they might come out with.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bongo Bill posted:

The NPC could call you periodically, but that would be annoying.

hard for me to imagine anything more annoying than the Rotom Dex

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

indigi posted:

hard for me to imagine anything more annoying than the Rotom Dex

i envy your clearly blessed life

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

in a pokemon game, I mean

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
IT'S THAT TIME AGAIN WHERE I GIVE YOU SOME ADVICE YOU WEREN'T ASKING FOR

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

indigi posted:

Rotom Dex isn't even the most annoying tutorial character in a Nintendo franchise

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kurieg posted:

this pisses me off so loving much when I need to check the map or get the loving lotto out of the way

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Is it bugged that he does this all the loving time in my game? I mean I go through one, get into battle, and when that's done, he goes again.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kikas posted:

Is it bugged that he does this all the loving time in my game? I mean I go through one, get into battle, and when that's done, he goes again.

No, that is, sadly, working properly. The moment you get Rotom to really like you, he doesn't shut up at all anymore.

It does mean far more Roto Lotos but it's incredibly irritating.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it's psychologically draining to play a game with this needy clingy thing constantly frowning at you if you don't poke it enough

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I can't say I ever noticed rotom when he wasn't directly asking me a questions, which was barely ever

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Rotom Dex was a mistake, IMO.
The whole point of Pokemon was to go out in the world on your own and explore while becoming the best like no one ever was. Just you and your team of partners, occasionally meeting up with friends and rivals along the way, but for the most part, you're on your own.
At least with someone like Pikachu following you around, they're a contributing member of the team, not a lovely color commentator.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

the_steve posted:

Rotom Dex was a mistake, IMO.
The whole point of Pokemon was to go out in the world on your own and explore while becoming the best like no one ever was. Just you and your team of partners, occasionally meeting up with friends and rivals along the way, but for the most part, you're on your own.

You, your partners, and the 20 of people standing within arms reach of you on every single route and lost cave in existence.

Pokemon has never and will never be some game about isolation/survival so don't be foolin yourself.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

You, your partners, and the 20 of people standing within arms reach of you on every single route and lost cave in existence.

Pokemon has never and will never be some game about isolation/survival so don't be foolin yourself.

Yeah, but Hiker Terry and Ace Trainer Becky aren't going to follow you around after the battle. I wasn't trying to imply crazy amounts of isolation, just that you're striking out on your own journey and dictating the narrative in your own head, not having your iPad try to do it for you.

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

A Zelda-style open world doesn't work for an RPG like Pokémon as the battles, and the bulk of the game's systems and mechanics, take place in a disconnected battle screen. Also the player character is practically invincible (since the losing condition is tied to your Pokémon's health) and is inconvenienced by short ledges, bodies of water and until Sun and Moon, small trees.

As for Rotom dex, you don't need to worry too much as he's probably going to be dropped for the Switch game anyway, just like Pokegear, Pokenav, Poketch, The Pokewalker, Dream World, Pass Powers, Wonder Launcher, O-Powers, PSS, Super Training and Dexnav.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

indigi posted:

hey kris, it's joey

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
or even better, hey kris it's mom, i went to the store and gently caress you i'm spending your money you good for nothing kid

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zuzie posted:

A Zelda-style open world doesn't work for an RPG like Pokémon as the battles, and the bulk of the game's systems and mechanics, take place in a disconnected battle screen. Also the player character is practically invincible (since the losing condition is tied to your Pokémon's health) and is inconvenienced by short ledges, bodies of water and until Sun and Moon, small trees.

As for Rotom dex, you don't need to worry too much as he's probably going to be dropped for the Switch game anyway, just like Pokegear, Pokenav, Poketch, The Pokewalker, Dream World, Pass Powers, Wonder Launcher, O-Powers, PSS, Super Training and Dexnav.

Watch Gen 8's new feature be multiple save slots...which we also lose with Gen 9/4 remake. :(

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

I just ignore Rotom-Dex when I don't want something from him. Hang up on him repeatedly by just doing my own thing.

That said I really like the Rotom Dex I just don't like not being able to see the map 20% of the time now that we're besties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

RotomDex in SM was fine. Tad tedious, but not OH GODS SHUT UP like it is in USUM