Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Lobok posted:

This seems insane to me.

From what I understand it isn’t just those two characters, and that there wasn’t actually a long term arc planned out in for the movies until after the fact. It seems like they just made TFA and went from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Just like the original trilogy, then.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Are we sure Lucas isn't involved anymore?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Yeah, although the original Star Wars works fine as a stand alone product. If nothing was ever made afterwards I don’t think people would be left feeling “incomplete” or that there was no resolution. That doesn’t apply for TFA.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My immediate takeaway from TLJ was that it's part two of TFA, if that makes any sense. Taken together, they're more like "Star Wars sequel trilogy, part one, vol. 1 & 2" than "Star Wars sequel trilogy, parts 1 & 2".

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Taerkar posted:

My brain, it hurts so much.

fruit on the bottom posted:

From what I understand it isn’t just those two characters, and that there wasn’t actually a long term arc planned out in for the movies until after the fact. It seems like they just made TFA and went from there.

Nope. First draft for The Last Jedi was completed shortly before Force Awakens finished principal photography, around August 2014. The only character that was never meant to be a big thing was Poe. He was originally supposed to die after that first scene. JJ called Oscar Isaac back after the Dubai shoot and asked if he wanted to have a larger role in the film. Finn was always going to be one of the Big Three, who were originally Kylo, Rey, and Finn.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The movie was delayed 7 months. There were major rewrites in January of 2016.

Abrams reportedly left them with like nothing actually planned out. He went Full Lucas.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
"Method writing as Lucas"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Abrams went full Abrams you mean?

He's a good producer, a tolerable director and a bad writer.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Glad Johnson's the writer on IX, at least.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Arist posted:

Glad Johnson's the writer on IX, at least.

I think Johnson wrote a treatment but the final thing's going to be an Abrams and Chris Terrio joint. I wouldn't be shocked if Kasdan ends up having some input as well (seems like the sort of thing that would happen).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Shhh, I know, don't ruin this for me

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
I think it will go well, Abrams seemed to like Johnson’s script when he first read it so hopefully they’ll be heading the same direction creatively.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Endless Mike posted:

Hi, space heist with a smarmy smuggler is way more interesting to me than Rogue One's basic concept.

Rogue One is a wartime space heist starring a colorful cast of characters on a desperate last chance mission. I think you should watch it again.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Lobok posted:

This seems insane to me.

Same. Did I watch the same movie as the writers? :psyduck:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lobok posted:

This seems insane to me.

Poe was definitely supposed to die, but they filmed Oscar Isaac's stuff early enough they were able to do significant rewrites after he rocked it. He's been one of my favorite character actors since Drive. God I was so annoyed he was too prosthetic'd up to really do his thing in XMen Apocalypse.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Dec 20, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Poor was supposed to die, Finn was being set up as the male lead which Rian switched to Kylo for some reason 🤔

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Finn was injured and unconscious at the end of TFA and I can't help but feel that's because Abrams had plot hooks set up for him so he almost literally put him on ice so someone else could sort it out.

Kylo has always been the most interesting character in the new movies anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Koalas March posted:

Poor was supposed to die, Finn was being set up as the male lead which Rian switched to Kylo for some reason 🤔

Because Adam Driver is a really, really good actor.

e: Which isn't to say John Boyega is a bad actor, it's just that given the option of who to give more screen time in this movie the answer should pretty much always be "Adam, Daisy, or Mark".

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Mulva posted:

So is John Boyega???

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Star Wars is my favorite comic book.

I thought it was a bold choice to have the porgs voiced by Kevin James. It made the sex scene with them and Chewbacca all the more emotional.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Koalas March posted:

I think Kylo’s arc makes sense considering who he is and his connection to the old cast. But I did like the chemistry between Rey and Finn and I wish there was more of that.

Wanna eat a Porg though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Autocorrect murdering all the names in this thread is hilarious.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Mulva posted:

Kylo is pretty awesome. I like that he comes across as lashing out because he's angry and upset, since that's basically the essence of the dark side.

Driver sold me on Kylo in TFA pretty well when I found saw him do the Marines thing of hitting a minor wound to have the pain piss you off and dump adrenaline, but also made him look like he was having a tantrum. It was perfect and apparently his suggestion.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I think Kylo’s arc makes sense considering who he is and his connection to the old cast. But I did like the chemistry between Rey and Finn and I wish there was more of that.

Wanna eat a Porg though.

I agree with all this. :getin:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Wanna eat a Porg though.

If you took off all their skin, would they still be as sexy?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Kylo is pretty awesome. I like that he comes across as lashing out because he's angry and upset, since that's basically the essence of the dark side.

Driver sold me on Kylo in TFA pretty well when I found saw him do the Marines thing of hitting a minor wound to have the pain piss you off and dump adrenaline, but also made him look like he was having a tantrum. It was perfect and apparently his suggestion.

Apparently is natural inclination is both sides of the Force in large measure which I guess is why he’s unstable as gently caress.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jamesman posted:

If you took off all their skin, would they still be as sexy?

Those porg Chewbacca cooked up sure looked tasty.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Just like the original trilogy, then.

Yeah I mean even if you don't like the new star wars, not planning things out 3 movies ahead of time isn't something I'm going to hold against any studio.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not a great idea to plan things too much, because as we've seen with Leia, or rather Carrie Fisher, poo poo happens.

And on that note it is weird that of Luke, Han, and Leia, the only character left alive is the one whose actor is dead.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Wanna eat a Porg though.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Since we're stretching a little can I just say that the super realistic giant anime eyes on Battle Angel Alita are way off putting and I think will be a serious detriment to the movie.

Like I get what he was going for but how long does James Cameron expect people to willingly stare into the uncanny valley?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If his previous movies are anything to go by... around two and a half to three and a half hours

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Yeah the eyes strike me as "what are you talking about when you say 'the way the look in manga is a stylistic flourish and they aren't meant to be literally translated into live film actors'??"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Star Wars is good. Daisy RIdley is kind of not a good actress though.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Star Wars is good. Daisy RIdley is kind of not a good actress though.

Are you for real

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you for real

Okay fine, Star Wars is poo poo.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you for real

Rhyno is the authority on bad opinions, especially when it comes to actresses.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Since the allegations against T.J. Miller have become increasingly disturbing in recent days, it's clear that he'll probably be cut from Deadpool 2 to the extent that he's in it.

What I'm wondering is: do they have enough time to replace him with Bob, Agent of HYDRA?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sadly i’m sure they couldn’t use HYDRA for this movie

• Locked thread