Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, a charitable reading is that they think they might be able to squeeze DACA through without a shutdown threat

I'm dubious, I think of the two CHIP is a better play for that

The current bill merely postpones the shutdown to January, so they're not giving up that leverage permanently. It's more about which one to push for now, and which one to push for in January. CHIP needs to be reauthorized ASAP though, it can't wait much longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

What exactly is a doomed DACA protest vote supposed to accomplish?

Theoretically it wouldn't be doomed because Trump says he wants a DACA fix.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

theflyingorc posted:

I do not understand their thinking on this
"First of all, we're hypocritical cowards, okay? And that's just the way it is."

That's their thinking on it, theflyingorc, and what is depressing - but not surprising - is that you will never figure that out. And you won't be depressed in a month, either, because you'll have displaced that depression with impotent and misdirected rage at anyone who would dare malign your benevolent conservative Democrat overlords, or call into question your slavish devotion to them.

So cheer up. I guess.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

evilweasel posted:

The current bill merely postpones the shutdown to January, so they're not giving up that leverage permanently.

Oh, I thought we were on the one after that. Whoops!

That's fine then, do one now one later (if you can't do both now), and CHIP is in fact more urgent than the March deadline for DACA.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

bird cooch posted:

You don't know what a blue dog is. Or to think that there is any chance of murry being primaried at all is laughable.

Just comes off as a font of impotent rage.

Given how quickly politics in the D base is shifting leftward, there's a very good chance quite a bit of the old Third Way style Dems get primaried in the next few cycles.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Ballz posted:

No it was 51-49 GOP before today. Now it’s tied.

There are two more district recounts this week, although neither by anywhere near this close a margin, and one recount is by a Republican who lost. I have no idea what will happen with that district that gave voters the wrong ballot on Election Day.

Chances are, it’ll stay a 50/50 split, which is still a spectacular accomplishment, given the GOP was one win away from a supermajority before the election

There's a better than even chance the fucky district gets a special election ordered by the judge, since there's no other way to fix that registrar's fuckup. That leaves the HoD at 50D-49R when they sit the Wednesday after the hearing to decide whether there'll be a special election, which leaves plenty of time to exercise precisely a one vote majority of leverage.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Trabisnikof posted:

Theoretically it wouldn't be doomed because Trump says he wants a DACA fix.

Trump can't even remember how many Big Macs he had for breakfast, I wouldn't exactly rely on anything he says as some sort of bargaining chip.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Quorum posted:

There's a better than even chance the fucky district gets a special election ordered by the judge, since there's no other way to fix that registrar's fuckup. That leaves the HoD at 50D-49R when they sit the Wednesday after the hearing to decide whether there'll be a special election, which leaves plenty of time to exercise precisely a one vote majority of leverage.

also, they already generously offered power sharing to republicans before the recount and got shot down, so then i guess republicans lost their chance to play nice!

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

is this like, the rare instance where virtue signalling is a real thing

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

Yeah I get that. But you also have to defend five seats that should be dead men walking based on the lean of the state: West Virginia, Missouri, Indiana, North Dakota, and Montana, as well as four seats in swingy states - Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Speaking as somebody who lives in Florida there is zero chance Bill Nelson loses his seat.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

GreyjoyBastard posted:

yeah, a charitable reading is that they think they might be able to squeeze DACA through without a shutdown threat

I'm dubious, I think of the two CHIP is a better play for that

Cynical as it is, I agree. Shutting down the government for Brown people is the right thing to do, but doing it for the white children is the one more likely to pay political dividends.

It’s disgusting, and I think it’s wrong and misguided, but I can’t say I don’t see an argument for it.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

spaced ninja posted:

My boss is currently helping to run https://www.zodiacpac.com we designed the logo here and had to print out a few thousand of them as stickers for an event. I have never wanted to punch paper so much in my life.

Real quick the last quote in "Ouch" is "I hope that burn Sally Yates served Ted Cruz is covered under Obamacare."" by Beto but it doesn't mention what that burn was. A quote or a link would be appreciated and useful for a website.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Hey good news thread, looks like momentum might be swinging to the Dems

:shepface: Let the primaries begin! Unleash the third parties!

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
How are the Dems able to force a shutdown over either issue?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Discendo Vox posted:

They aren't, unless the Freedom Caucus elects to be terminally evil morons.

So they totally could if they wanted.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

It is assumed enough Republicans won't vote for the budget because it isn't evil enough.

Timmy Age 6
Jul 23, 2011

Lobster says "mrow?"

Ramrod XTreme

Discendo Vox posted:

The government funding bill requires 60 votes in the Senate. Say "include these things in it or we won't vote to fund the government."

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

evilweasel posted:

The current bill merely postpones the shutdown to January, so they're not giving up that leverage permanently. It's more about which one to push for now, and which one to push for in January. CHIP needs to be reauthorized ASAP though, it can't wait much longer.

So you're saying that the Dems might actually have a logical strategy here?

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Fulchrum posted:

From the article everyone is saying shows Dems are truly the worst of the worst and monsters.

They are focusing on CHIP.

Phone posting and couldn't read the full article, that's good news.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Discendo Vox posted:

As I understand it, the budget bill will require 60 in the Senate because they wasted reconciliation on the tax bill.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Yeah I get that. But you also have to defend five seats that should be dead men walking based on the lean of the state: West Virginia, Missouri, Indiana, North Dakota, and Montana, as well as four seats in swingy states - Pennsylvania, Florida, Ohio, and Wisconsin. If Democrats blow any of those, then you need more wins. People keep ignoring those nine races and treating them as already won, which is not a gimme even in a wave. Indiana and Missouri are only Democratic because of Moore-level terrible candidates in 2012 who couldn't keep their mouth shut about how rape isn't real.

Yeah I live in Missouri and I'm worried about McCaskill's seat. She won in the 2006 wave and held on in 2012 because of how awful Todd Akin was. Now that Trump is president I wonder if a scandal like Akin's would be enough to sink him this time.

I don't think her losing is a given or anything, especially so far out that we don't even know who is running against her, but it is worrying.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Lycus posted:

As I understand it, the budget bill will require 60 in the Senate because they wasted reconciliation on the tax bill.

Dems should play super hardball and force the R's to use that reconciliation on the budget.

Burn it dowwwwn.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Doctor Teeth posted:

Yeah I live in Missouri and I'm worried about McCaskill's seat. She won in the 2006 wave and held on in 2012 because of how awful Todd Akin was. Now that Trump is president I wonder if a scandal like Akin's would be enough to sink him this time.

I don't think her losing is a given or anything, especially so far out that we don't even know who is running against her, but it is worrying.

If it's a legitimate Roy Moore, the general has ways to shut that whole thing down.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lycus posted:

I believe the sequester bill mandates that it requires 60 no matter what, if you want to exceed the caps (nobody is interested in complying with the caps).

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Discendo Vox posted:

as people mentioned the budget / continuing resolution is not, in fact, the reconciliation bill, and there's no goddamn way the GOP will let it be the reconciliation bill

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KilloughCNN/status/943242158466850819
Ghoulish. And garish.

Ghaulish?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If there's one thing Bruce Banner loved, it was capitalism destroying nature.

Luckily, Amadeus Cho is the Hulk now, and is awesome.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

In case anyone had any doubts:

https://www.seattletimes.com/nation-world/hulk-meets-his-match-in-drilling-fight/

quote:

WASHINGTON — Sen. Ted Stevens was wearing his Incredible Hulk tie when he took the Senate gavel Wednesday to oversee debate about his proposal to allow oil drilling in Alaska’s Arctic National Wildlife Refuge (ANWR). He often sports the comic-book character tie when slugging it out over issues close to his heart.

Plane crashes occasionally have positive results.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Very stern tweets from Mark Ruffalo incoming.

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006

DRRRAAINAGE!!!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

The tax bill passed/is passing and net neutrality was repealed by a 44-year-old wannabe memelord. Seems like a bad week to me.

those were a slow boil though. no crisis or controversy out of left field.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Nothing is going to close before Christmas, they will push the vote off to January 19th just as expected.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/943097582326288384
Is Bloomberg farting out of his mouth or is there something to this.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

gently caress YOU MARK MEADOWS BLAAAARRRRGGHHHHH!!!!!!

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh and apparently this
https://twitter.com/jenhab/status/943253378901082112
is happening again.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/greenhousenyt/status/943097582326288384
Is Bloomberg farting out of his mouth or is there something to this.

Its probably accurate, but isn't the CBO using "dynamic scoring" which basically equates to "tax cuts create unicorns that fart jobs"

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Not really sure why they would want to push that in A) an election year, and B) after losing a vote from their already razor-thin Senate majority, which last time couldn't support the same poo poo

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Ah...reminding voters which party is trying to take away their health care, just in time for the midterms. Perfect. Hope they choke on it in '18.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

FlamingLiberal posted:

Not really sure why they would want to push that in A) an election year, and B) after losing a vote from their already razor-thin Senate majority, which last time couldn't support the same poo poo

McCain dying changes things.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Dems are cowards, and they should do exactly what the GOP did in 2013- shut the government down. A year later they destroyed the Dems in the midterms, and that was shutting the government down over Obamacare not being repealed or whatever. Demand that they fix CHIP and DACA now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

McCain dying changes things.
It's a wash with the AL Senate seat going to the Dems though? Unless Jones pulls a fast one and decides to vote for that crap

• Locked thread