Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I mean it's not pedantic to disagree with your idea by pointing out the premise is fundamentally flawed.

You disagree that the Salt battle recalls and borrows imagery and ideas from Hoth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

The space battle over the moon of Endor, the throne room confrontation between Luke, Vader and The Emperor, the ground battle between the Empire and the Rebels all take place in the third act. I can see you disliking 1/3 of those but all 3? What the poo poo man.

Those are all great but the Ewoks really do ruin it for me idk man it’s just so cynical

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Luke creates a Leslie Knope-esque scavenger hunt/breadcrumb trail to his location at the end of which he tells the person who finds him, with news about the death of his best friend and imminent demise of his sister, to go away. Top flight writing here folks.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Were the Ewoks originally supposed to be Wookies?

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I still don't understand why you build up Snoke to be some powerful force user on par with palpatine just to die like that. Snoke makes alot more sense if it was Thrawn instead.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Deadulus posted:

I heard that this was the case, and they made them little people to save money on costuming.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Deadulus posted:

Yes, and it's way easier to find lots of little people than lots of people who are seven feet tall.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Palpatine died the same way. Or similarly. It fits into the whole evil is blinded by arrogance theme.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

euphronius posted:

Palestine died the same way. Or similarly. It fits into the whole evil is blinded by arrogance theme.

Woah I think you were in the wrong theater, buddy

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Autocorrect. Fixed it thanks.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

euphronius posted:

I can't remember if the cruiser was accelerating when Leia was in space. If it was she should have been 1000 miles behind it that's true.

SW ships don't have hard sci-fi inertia so, yes, it would've been quite some distance away.

Wouldn't normally be a problem. But the film has spent a long time establishing that everyone is moving.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Deadulus posted:

Looking at the future of Star Wars. We got Solo and IX coming up and some unknown movie set to be released in 2020.

Probably going to be either a Kenobi movie or Bobba Fett movie.

Some totally new Rian Johnson trilogy.

Also a live action TV show coming out god drat.

Disney if you're listening pick it up, we need marvel/star wars/alien/avatar/buffy/xfiles/firefly movies monthly.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

BardoTheConsumer posted:

That might just be my dad's influence because he went and saw the original theatrical release and literally hated it. But then he is more of a star trek guy.

Just gonna throw this out there

Star Trek owns your dad is right

Speaking as someone who enjoyed TFA and TLJ I thought Star Trek 09 and Star Trek Beyond were better movies. Beyond is legit great if you haven’t seen it.

Into Darkness was kinda eh though

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

ST Beyond is good as gently caress

BardoTheConsumer
Apr 6, 2017

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

trash person posted:

Just gonna throw this out there

Star Trek owns your dad is right

Speaking as someone who enjoyed TFA and TLJ I thought Star Trek 09 and Star Trek Beyond were better movies. Beyond is legit great if you haven’t seen it.

Into Darkness was kinda eh though

Yeah I know. I liked the star trek movies. And also TNG.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

SW ships don't have hard sci-fi inertia so, yes, it would've been quite some distance away.

Wouldn't normally be a problem. But the film has spent a long time establishing that everyone is moving.

Alternate take: shields work both ways.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

You disagree that the Salt battle recalls and borrows imagery and ideas from Hoth?

I disagree that the similarity critiques the folly of the battle of Hoth, because I do not think that was a folly.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Koirhor posted:

I still don't understand why you build up Snoke to be some powerful force user on par with palpatine just to die like that. Snoke makes alot more sense if it was Thrawn instead.

He manipulated, trained, and abused Kylo Ren, and was then rejected and shanked by Kylo Ren. That arc doesn't work if he isn't a powerful force user.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I disagree that the similarity critiques the folly of the battle of Hoth, because I do not think that was a folly.

Fair enough I suppose. Why do you think the imagery rhymes in that case? What does that similarity mean to you?

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Koirhor posted:

He died almost the exact same way Palpatine died, he just did it for different reasons and at a different point in their respective movies, which is kind of the point.

Chickenwalker posted:

Luke creates a Leslie Knope-esque scavenger hunt/breadcrumb trail to his location at the end of which he tells the person who finds him, with news about the death of his best friend and imminent demise of his sister, to go away. Top flight writing here folks.
Nope. He didn't do that.

At the start of TFA, people know where Luke went (the Jedi Temple) but not where it is, since its location was only known on a few ancient galactic maps, none of which are intact. The guy Poe Dameron starts out TFA trying to find is a jedi historian and explorer of ancient ruins; he has a nearly intact map to the Jedi Temple, not because Luke gave it to him, but because he's a scholar. The map turns out to not be entirely intact, though, but R2D2 has some of the missing astrogation data, which fills in the missing places. Luke didn't leave R2 behind so that he could provide that information, however -- Luke never even knew that a partial map existed -- it just worked out that way because of lucky coincidence/The Force.

Fans manufactured a theory that Luke left the bread crumb trail, but none of that is actually in the movies.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Why doesn't anyone say she Wonder Woman's back to the ship? I bet half the people using this meme to discribe the scene haven't even watched Mary loving Poppins (y'all).

Wonder Woman doesn't fly with the Mary Poppins flying pose.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Deadulus posted:

They mainly point out all the flaws everyone is familiar with. I think their take away was its not a mess but messy.

I have to disagree with them on some points, too. Like, they don't care about any of the characters or what happens to them next. I mean, okay, I guess? Personally, I do want to see what happens to Rey and Finn and Kylo Ren next, I find Kylo and Rey particularly to be good characters and I figure Finn is around for Some Reason and I want to see what it might be, because there are interesting places his character arc could lead.

Also, considering the detail they went into with the prequel reviews, I found it strange that they didn't pay much attention to the quality of the filmmaking (either to criticize it or laud it). Those reviews went into great detail about why the prequels were flawed films, this one (like most criticism I've seen of it) mainly asks why the story is what it is. Admittedly it's difficult to go into that kind of detail without access to a recorded copy to analyze deeply, but I felt like it was a pretty shallow review even compared to some of the posts I've seen here (positive and negative).

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Waffles Inc. posted:

Fair enough I suppose. Why do you think the imagery rhymes in that case? What does that similarity mean to you?

I don't know, honestly, I haven't put a lot of time into thinking about it. I just don't agree with your interpretation.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Fans manufactured a theory that Luke left the bread crumb trail, but none of that is actually in the movies.

That's crazy because nothing you posted is in the movie either. The simplest reading based on the fact that the map perfectly matches what was missing from R2 is that it was intentionally removed. That it was left with a trusted confidant known to the protagonists says that it was given to them intentionally for the purpose of them providing it if it's ever needed. Don't make excuses for the pieces of poo poo the last two movies have been plot and story-wise.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Tender Bender posted:

I don't know, honestly, I haven't put a lot of time into thinking about it. I just don't agree with your interpretation.

Aight

Leviathan
Oct 8, 2001

I hear the jury's
still out.. on science.
Fun Shoe

Chickenwalker posted:

That's crazy because nothing you posted is in the movie either. The simplest reading based on the fact that the map perfectly matches what was missing from R2 is that it was intentionally removed. That it was left with a trusted confidant known to the protagonists says that it was given to them intentionally for the purpose of them providing it if it's ever needed. Don't make excuses for the pieces of poo poo the last two movies have been plot and story-wise.

wait if kylo and the knights trained at the loving luke temple planet how come they dont know how to find him in the beginning of tfa?

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

PT6A posted:

I have to disagree with them on some points, too. Like, they don't care about any of the characters or what happens to them next. I mean, okay, I guess? Personally, I do want to see what happens to Rey and Finn and Kylo Ren next, I find Kylo and Rey particularly to be good characters and I figure Finn is around for Some Reason and I want to see what it might be, because there are interesting places his character arc could lead.

Also, considering the detail they went into with the prequel reviews, I found it strange that they didn't pay much attention to the quality of the filmmaking (either to criticize it or laud it). Those reviews went into great detail about why the prequels were flawed films, this one (like most criticism I've seen of it) mainly asks why the story is what it is. Admittedly it's difficult to go into that kind of detail without access to a recorded copy to analyze deeply, but I felt like it was a pretty shallow review even compared to some of the posts I've seen here (positive and negative).

They were at least very complimentary to the Kylo Ren storyline and Adam Driver.

But this was just their initial review from seeing it. I don’t think their in-depth review of TFA came out until a year after release. But the TFA review is more focused on the fandom and state of the Star Wars franchise than the actual movie.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't one of the things Rey sees from touching Luke's lightsaber in TFA, a flashback of him putting some kind of data into R2?

Luke left a way to be found. We don't know why, necessarily, but I think it's stupid to assume he completely wanted to cut himself off from the world. He clearly wanted to make himself incredibly difficult to find, but possible in the right circumstance, which was brought about by R2 being revived for Some Reason (being in the presence of a Force-sensitive person?)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Leviathan posted:

wait if kylo and the knights trained at the loving luke temple planet how come they dont know how to find him in the beginning of tfa?

They didn't train at the loving luke temple planet.

Deadulus posted:

They were at least very complimentary to the Kylo Ren storyline and Adam Driver.

But this was just their initial review from seeing it. I don’t think their in-depth review of TFA came out until a year after release. But the TFA review is more focused on the fandom and state of the Star Wars franchise than the actual movie.

Agreed. Ironically, it seemed like they just wanted to get something in line with their established brand out the door ASAP. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

PT6A posted:

Maybe I'm crazy, but isn't one of the things Rey sees from touching Luke's lightsaber in TFA, a flashback of him putting some kind of data into R2?

Luke left a way to be found. We don't know why, necessarily, but I think it's stupid to assume he completely wanted to cut himself off from the world. He clearly wanted to make himself incredibly difficult to find, but possible in the right circumstance, which was brought about by R2 being revived for Some Reason (being in the presence of a Force-sensitive person?)

Nah, he didn't give R2 anything. Luke just puts his hand on him as he watches the temple burn, we see the same shot in TLJ except not from the front.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
It makes more sense just to see R2 as a force-sensitive agent of the light pulling the strings. Rather than Luke wanting to be found but not wanting to be found.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Lord Krangdar posted:

It makes more sense just to see R2 as a force-sensitive agent of the light pulling the strings. Rather than Luke wanting to be found but not wanting to be found.

It’s definitely This

The force protects R2 in TPM like it does Chirrut in R1

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Also: the world's greatest astromech navigation droid might contain relevant astrogation data? Who could have seen that coming!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

It’s definitely This

The force protects R2 in TPM like it does Chirrut in R1

I like this reading, actually.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Alright, something that bugs me now the more I think about it:

In Return of the Jedi, Luke doesn't show up lightsaber in hand to save the day. He abdicates his role in the final battle. The second Death Star is destroyed not by some powerful Jedi, but by Lando and Wedge, working alongside hundreds of other nobodys. The Emperor, who's so convinced his mastery of the Dark Side entitles him to mastery over the galaxy, dismisses them all as beneath his notice, while Luke has faith in his friends to carry on without him.

In The Last Jedi, though, this is all inverted. We've got our turncoat and our pilot who never says die, and they prove worse than useless. Their attempts at heroism doom the Resistance. The only characters who matter are the Force users; Rey might not be chosen by ancestry, but she's still the chosen hero, empowered with abilities that elevate her well above her mundane allies. It's basically undoing the democratisation of power we saw in Return of the Jedi – ordinary people aren't inspired by the ordinary heroism of the Resistance, only by the Force-powered legend of Skywalker. Everyone else should accept their place as spear-carriers, because the real action is still in the throne room.

Mezzanine
Aug 23, 2009
Has anyone mentioned about the stableboy?

I know that it's clear he's Force-sensitive because of the broom jumping into his hand. What I mean is, how did he know about "Legendary Luke Skywalker's Last Stand" enough to reenact it with dolls for the other kids? Unless that scene comes a good amount of time after everyone gets away on the Falcon, I get the feeling that the stableboy was literally watching (sensing, whatever) Luke through the Force. Astral projecting yourself across solar systems would make some pretty big ripples in the Force, so he and any other Force-sensitives might have taken notice. This of course ties in for the whole purpose of the Luke's diversion plan, not to just stall for the Resistance to escape but to make a big show of it.

nael
Sep 10, 2009

Mezzanine posted:

Has anyone mentioned about the stableboy?

I know that it's clear he's Force-sensitive because of the broom jumping into his hand. What I mean is, how did he know about "Legendary Luke Skywalker's Last Stand" enough to reenact it with dolls for the other kids? Unless that scene comes a good amount of time after everyone gets away on the Falcon, I get the feeling that the stableboy was literally watching (sensing, whatever) Luke through the Force. Astral projecting yourself across solar systems would make some pretty big ripples in the Force, so he and any other Force-sensitives might have taken notice. This of course ties in for the whole purpose of the Luke's diversion plan, not to just stall for the Resistance to escape but to make a big show of it.

I assumed it was later, after the story had spread, but I like your idea a lot better.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I can't wait for the next movie having Ren and Rey leading armies of force-sensitive child soldiers.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

I can't wait for the next movie having Ren and Rey leading armies of force-sensitive child soldiers.

Please, they're called younglings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

ATP_Power posted:

Thought about that today.

Would be an interesting direction.

• Locked thread