Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

food court bailiff posted:

Sorry, Mega Man 2 for the NES is a really weak entry in the series and if it weren't for Metal Blade nobody would like it much. It's got really bland level design and the Fortress levels/bosses are awful, and while Mega Man isn't as slippery as he was in MM1 he still doesn't have the actual slide for quick dodges. I genuinely have no idea where the common internet refrain of MM2 being the best in the series comes from because it's completely dwarfed by all four NES games that follow it.

At the time of release it was some of the best, if not the best platforming on the NES. Like the level art just blew everything else out of the water with some of the more memorable chiptunes of the NES libary. The levels where fun and different, the animation and details were really good for the time period, and everything still felt fresh. I personally liked that the Wily Fortress levels felt like they had a bit of continuity to them: You start outside the castle storming the walls, fight in-side, drop to the lower sewers, and then finally the underground hidden basement for the final battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Sorry, Mega Man 2 for the NES is a really weak entry in the series and if it weren't for Metal Blade nobody would like it much. It's got really bland level design and the Fortress levels/bosses are awful, and while Mega Man isn't as slippery as he was in MM1 he still doesn't have the actual slide for quick dodges. I genuinely have no idea where the common internet refrain of MM2 being the best in the series comes from because it's completely dwarfed by all four NES games that follow it.

Considering that half the NES MM games that come after MM2 have worst level design, worst boss design, worse basic mechanics (lol buster), and pretty much worse everything except maybe visuals, that's a pretty bold claim. MM3 is the only one released after MM2 that is a genuine competitor not in the least because it doesn't have a bunch of bloated poorly designed mechanics dragging the gameplay down and actually has (mostly) strong level/boss design if you ignore the Doc Robot bullshit.

I genuinely am not sure how you can call MM2's level design bland and then go on to praise Mega Man 4 which is probably one of the least interesting Mega Man games ever made. Basically the only memorable thing about it is that it introduced the Mega Buster and even that was a misstep in that game.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 19, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Considering that half the NES MM games that come after MM2 have worst level design, worst boss design, worse basic mechanics (lol buster), and pretty much worse everything except maybe visuals, that's a pretty bold claim. MM3 is the only one released after MM2 that is a genuine competitor not in the least because it doesn't have a bunch of bloated poorly designed mechanics dragging the gameplay down and actually has (mostly) strong level/boss design if you ignore the Doc Robot bullshit.

I genuinely am not sure how you can call MM2's level design bland and then go on to praise Mega Man 4 which is probably one of the least interesting Mega Man games ever made. Basically the only memorable thing about it is that it introduced the Mega Buster and even that was a misstep in that game.

Not sure how I feel about the shade you're lobbing at Skull Man and Pharoah Man

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

MM4 is the tightest, most polished game of them all. And the Mega Buster is one of the best things ever introduced to the franchise.

I was about to go "did you forget about Ring Man, did you for--" but I stopped myself once I realised I was just gonna list all the levels.
It also had Wire and Balloon, which are dope.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
People will argue, to great length, over what the perfect Mega Man game is.

And I wish I could feed those people to wild animals.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's canon: Mega Man eats mad rear end and loves to gently caress

Electromax
May 6, 2007
http://rampagedreality.com/tagged/udon

<3

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

XavierGenisi posted:

Wily is the mastermind, but he's not actually the final boss for the first and only time in the series!

You haven't played Super Adventure Rockman or Rockman and Forte: Challenger from the Future, have you. Which is fine, one is an FMV game and one is on Wonderswan and is terrible but has 3 nice things about it. Wily wasn't the final boss of either of those games, either.

Agreed on giving Xtreme 2 a chance though, it just sucks to 100% because it's possible to permanently lock yourself out of powerups in Xtreme mode if you don't get the correct weapons for Zero.

Yo these are badass.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stink Terios posted:

MM4 is the tightest, most polished game of them all. And the Mega Buster is one of the best things ever introduced to the franchise.

I was about to go "did you forget about Ring Man, did you for--" but I stopped myself once I realised I was just gonna list all the levels.
It also had Wire and Balloon, which are dope.

The Mega Buster in MM4 is so badly designed that even people who like MM4 acknowledge it's a giant loving mess, so I can't imagine how you can call it the tightest and most polished game unless you're someone who hates using boss weapons in Mega Man games, and even then there are better games for busters.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
The MM Buster was not great ,and probably it was the limitations of the NES itself, but like maybe of the half game is just you hearing that whiiir whiir WHIIIRRR sound blocking out the music.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

The Mega Buster in MM4 is so badly designed that even people who like MM4 acknowledge it's a giant loving mess, so I can't imagine how you can call it the tightest and most polished game unless you're someone who hates using boss weapons in Mega Man games, and even then there are better games for busters.

MM4 has cool weapons though? Ring Boomerang, Pharaoh Shot, Drill Bomb, Dive Missile, it's a pretty versatile set. Even the lovely-rear end Skull Shield has a use for avoiding the Drill Man boulders.

As for the charging noise, that's on me for being unusually tolerant towards annoying noises.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Star Man posted:

No.

In Japan, the Game Boy games are called Rockman World. There is evidence in the Mega Man I ROM or a beta ROM that they were supposed to be called Mega Man World, but it was changed.

The use of Arabic numbers for the main series appears on their NES boxes but not on the title screen, but Roman numerals are used on the international release Game Boy boxes. Mandi Paugh of The Mega Man Homepage used Arabic numerals in her writing for main series games and Roman numerals for the Game Boy games as far back as 1994 when the site was founded. Anyone writing the title of a Game Boy game with a Roman numeral can trace that usage back to her.

edit: Here's the quote from her website: http://mmhp.net/About.html

You can attribute it to whomever you want, but given that the Nintendo eShop uses I, II, III, IV and V, I feel on firm ground when I say that that is conventional nomenlcature.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's also one of the coolest concepts the games added because charging your laser into a mega laser is a fun thing, especially for a kid

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Oyster posted:

You haven't played Super Adventure Rockman or Rockman and Forte: Challenger from the Future, have you. Which is fine, one is an FMV game and one is on Wonderswan and is terrible but has 3 nice things about it. Wily wasn't the final boss of either of those games, either.

...honestly, I keep forgetting that those exist. I keep meaning to at least try Challenger from the Future one of these days, just to say that I've played it, but I never get around to it.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

The single biggest game-changer in Mega Man is being able to change weapons without going to the menu.

By the way, I think reception to MM11 has been mostly lukewarm because every couple months there's a new, complete, classic Mega Man game. The level design contests also exist, with a billion levels and easter eggs.
We haven't had many new Mega Mans, but at the same time we're loving DROWNING in new Mega Mans.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Stink Terios posted:

MM4 has cool weapons though? Ring Boomerang, Pharaoh Shot, Drill Bomb, Dive Missile, it's a pretty versatile set. Even the lovely-rear end Skull Shield has a use for avoiding the Drill Man boulders.

As for the charging noise, that's on me for being unusually tolerant towards annoying noises.

Yeah, even if you hate the charge shot implying 4 doesn’t have one of the best (and definitely most balanced, lol 9 having any semblance of balance) weapon rosters is dumb.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam

XavierGenisi posted:

...honestly, I keep forgetting that those exist. I keep meaning to at least try Challenger from the Future one of these days, just to say that I've played it, but I never get around to it.

Many people say Rockman is easier to play as since he has the ability to charge, and that does make at least the first level much easier, but one of the cool things about CFTF is Rock and Forte get different weapons from each boss. Forte's weapon from Komusou Man, Doppel Attack, literally makes him invincible and can fly in any direction, through walls, out of pits, whatever, making each boss nearly trivial. Just pop it and sit inside them, at least until it runs out of weapon energy. And don't rematerialize in a wall.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

Tbh, if I had a choice between 1. MM4/5 balance where charge shot can do everything you want but the rest of the weapons are pretty cool if that's your thing too, and 2. MM2 balance (?) of "lol metal blade" and most of the other weapons aren't very fun/good either, then I would take the MM4/5 design.

This isn't getting into the other parts of MM2 that's rough, like a lot of the dumb level design, which the other games mostly reduced.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, even if you hate the charge shot implying 4 doesn’t have one of the best (and definitely most balanced, lol 9 having any semblance of balance) weapon rosters is dumb.

The weapon roster in MM4 is really bland and boring. It being 'balanced' is meaningless because the balance means the weapons are really bland and really uninteresting and the fact that a lot of them are basically Buster Replacements hurts a lot considering the Mega Buster being added in that game. I'd rather have unbalanced but actually loving interesting weapons over ones where the only reason to use them is for a visual difference. (Or because they clear a screen which is boring as hell even if it's useful.)

Ventana posted:

Tbh, if I had a choice between 1. MM4/5 balance where charge shot can do everything you want but the rest of the weapons are pretty cool if that's your thing too, and 2. MM2 balance (?) of "lol metal blade" and most of the other weapons aren't very fun/good either, then I would take the MM4/5 design.

Mega Man 2 has a lot of solid weapons though. The Metal Blade tends to eclipse them because it's so absurdly overpowered but the overall lineup is solid and allows you to cover a lot of different areas or have interesting effects. It isn't the best lineup in the franchise by any means but it's a drat sight better than Drill Bomb & Dust Crusher.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

XavierGenisi posted:

There is a fan translation available but the game itself isn't that great. It gets a bit more manageable once you build your character up with a few items (which are all ridiculously expensive for some reason) and get a few weapons under your belt but it's pretty tough going at the start.

Unlike the SNES/GBA Megaman & Bass I actually found I had an easier time playing as the former in this game (though Bass does have a few tricks that can basically snap the game's difficulty in half). Also, for some reason nearly every boss in the game is weak to Airconman's weapon.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ImpAtom posted:

The weapon roster in MM4 is really bland and boring. It being 'balanced' is meaningless because the balance means the weapons are really bland and really uninteresting and the fact that a lot of them are basically Buster Replacements hurts a lot considering the Mega Buster being added in that game. I'd rather have unbalanced but actually loving interesting weapons over ones where the only reason to use them is for a visual difference.

I....think you played a very different MM4 than everyone else here.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's heresy but I like the later 3 NES Megaman games more than the first three.

Stink Terios
Oct 17, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Not heresy.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Phantasium posted:

I’d rate 3 above 5, personally.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Toad Man is the greatest boss and he is gyrating his hips in anger at your lack of appreciation for him.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

JustJeff88 posted:

You can attribute it to whomever you want, but given that the Nintendo eShop uses I, II, III, IV and V, I feel on firm ground when I say that that is conventional nomenlcature.

You're just going to have to take my word on this, but unless Paugh borrowed that convention from another source, she's been using it herself since before I started visiting the site in 1996.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Star Man posted:

You're just going to have to take my word on this, but unless Paugh borrowed that convention from another source, she's been using it herself since before I started visiting the site in 1996.

Oh, I believe you 100%, and it was a clever play on the part of Paugh to find a simple but elegant way to differentiate the NES series from the portable series. My poins is that, when the company selling the games starts using a certain terminology, it's fair to call it "standard".

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It's no big mystery. That's how they did the numbers on the box art

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

TFRazorsaw posted:

Toad Man is the greatest boss and he is gyrating his hips in anger at your lack of appreciation for him.

Toad Man's level is awesome too and really gives the feeling of fighting through the sewers to find a hidden lair. Literally the only thing I don't like about it is the invisible spikes next to that one wall in the waterfall. Even the snail sub-bosses are cool.

Schwarzwald posted:

I’d rate 3 above 5, personally.

Same. I mean, how could you not, when it has that groovy title music?

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

ImpAtom posted:

Mega Man 2 has a lot of solid weapons though. The Metal Blade tends to eclipse them because it's so absurdly overpowered but the overall lineup is solid and allows you to cover a lot of different areas or have interesting effects. It isn't the best lineup in the franchise by any means but it's a drat sight better than Drill Bomb & Dust Crusher.

But drill bomb does what crash bomb does but better? Same for Flash Stopper vs Time stopper. Dust crusher is straight forward yes but at least it's generally effective weapon unlike Bubble lead which, even in terms of niche uses, is limited. Pharaoh Shot is much more fun than Atomic Fire, Skull Barrier is (imo) much more fun to experiment/play with than Leaf shield, etc. The only MM2 weapon that's kinda fun and decent on it's own (beyond metal blade) is Quick boomerang but I still prefer more of the MM4 weapons.

Phantasium posted:

For 4 and 5, yeah I agree. 6 is weird to me so I put 3 above that. Not heresy imo.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Star Man posted:

People will argue, to great length, over what the perfect Mega Man game is.

Whatever it is, it needs a dash, multiple levels of charge shot, and a large numbers of upgrades and secrets.

That's the baseline. :colbert:

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
It's funny I consider myself a huge fan of classic megaman, the number of times I've beaten every entry is probably in the three digits, yet I couldn't tell you what any of the weapons do because I pretty much just use the p buster 100% of the time

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

The weapon roster in MM4 is really bland and boring. It being 'balanced' is meaningless because the balance means the weapons are really bland and really uninteresting and the fact that a lot of them are basically Buster Replacements hurts a lot considering the Mega Buster being added in that game. I'd rather have unbalanced but actually loving interesting weapons over ones where the only reason to use them is for a visual difference. (Or because they clear a screen which is boring as hell even if it's useful.)

You’re not really being terribly fair, Drill Bomb is strong but dings off some armored enemies, Dust Crusher works better on enemies that move into the shrapnel, Pharaoh Shot is basically Metal Blade But Fair, Ring Boomerang needs to be timed, Bright Stopper is Time Stopper But Not poo poo 90% of The Time, and Rain Flush is good because it being the best screen clear weapon is offset by the delay. I get the least amount of use out of Skull Barrier and Dive Missile but even they have their uses.

quote:

I think we’ve actually had this discussion before; IIRC you like 2’s roster because they effectively function as tools with a specific niche which I kind of despise because they’ll always be like the Items where they have one type of situation where they’re meant for. Air Shooter is the anti-Mecha Joe weapon, Time Stopper’s limitations make it unfun to experiment with, Leaf Shield’s applications are so specific that nothing of value would be lost by taking out said situations, lmmao @ Atomic Fire, and Quick Boomerang is basically Metal Blade but slightly worse but from pretty much the hardest robot master level in the series.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
MM4 is my favorite NES Mega Man by far and when I was younger I used to clear all the stages and then use the ability to replay already cleared stages to run through them using the various weapons because I enjoyed them. The only two weak weapons in the roster are Dive Missile and Skull Shield.

Mega Man 2's weapon set is mostly total loving garbage; even if you ignore the Metal Blade elephant in the room, Air Shooter is almost useless except for killing Joes/Crash Man, Atomic Fire is so slow and awkward and energy hoggy that it's nearly useless, Bubble Lead is a joke, Flash Stopper's functionality means it's not something you can actually use as a weapon, Leaf Shield is the first in a long line of terrible shield weapons(they didn't actually get one of these right until MM7's Junk Shield and/or MMX's Rolling Shield if you count charge-ups). We're left with Metal Blade, Quick Boomerang, and Crash Bomb as useful, consistently viable weapons that you can fight enemies with, and Crash Bomb has a whopping 7 shots so it's really only the two.

Gaffle
Aug 23, 2013

sWAg

Dive missile is my top weapon in mm4. It one shots lots of peaky flying enemies like the red guys in drill man's level. Not that good against drill man himself though..

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Inti news:

https://twitter.com/IntiCreatesEN/status/943492561938743296%5C

https://twitter.com/DragonMFD/status/943551291237662720

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
So can Inti design characters who don't look like children or abstract totem dolls or what

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

They cannot, no.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
Fair enough. The abstract thing was neat for MMZ once you got used to it, but holy gently caress guys, learn a new aesthetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
I like Mighty Gunvolt Burst and all but what is the point of all these different characters if they aren't gonna make new stages or anything? The game encourages you to play through stages multiple times every playthrough so by the time this DLC releases most people will have already played every stage like a dozen times already