Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the new sydney trams will kill people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

One the one hand, the D-class has this wonderful thing called "Air Conditioning".
On the other, the Z-class is more comfortable and makes fewer weird noises when it turns.

Help me guys, I can't decide.

Birdstrike posted:

the new sydney trams will kill people

Will it shoot through Bondi Junction?

Schlesische fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 19, 2017

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Schlesische posted:

One the one hand, the D-class has this wonderful thing called "Air Conditioning".
On the other, the Z-class is more comfortable and makes fewer weird noises when it turns.

Will it shoot through Bondi Junction?

Is d-class the one with the strange seat configuration? Having air con is good but they really were not thinking with the design

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
What's a tram?

Is that where you get a can of tooheys new and ram it down your throat to get as drunk as possible?

Implants
Feb 14, 2007

BHP set to leave World Coal Association, threatens Minerals Council withdrawal posted:

BHP has identified two main differences with the MCA on climate and energy policy.

The first is the MCA's argument that energy policy should prioritise reliability and affordability over other policy goals — BHP said it believes climate and energy policy are "inextricably linked" and "should be considered on an integrated basis".

The second major difference is the MCA's advocacy for policy changes that would favour so-called high-efficiency low-emissions (HELE) coal power stations and a new coal-fired power plant in the La Trobe Valley.

I don't know how to make sense of this.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

BHP.... Good?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

BHP.... Good?

BHP have slightly intelligent self interest

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
BHP have been plainly saying they don't believe in geo coal mining being viable into the future for a while and that they're going to mine poo poo that is worth actual money like nickel, copper and coking coal.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-20/banks-revamp-code-of-practice-in-face-of-scandals/9274440

quote:

Unsolicited credit card limit increases will be banned and customers will be empowered to quickly cancel credit cards online under dramatic changes to the banking industry's code of practice.
As it rushes to rebuild trust in the scandal-plagued sector, the Australian Bankers Association (ABA) will also push its members to make unpopular transaction fees more transparent and for small business contracts to be written in plain English.
Is this stuff significant? I remember goons going on about dodgy lending, but that's not mentioned here

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

The Before Times posted:

Is d-class the one with the strange seat configuration? Having air con is good but they really were not thinking with the design

It's low floor. The suspension has to go somewhere.

Anidav posted:

What's a tram?

Is that where you get a can of tooheys new and ram it down your throat to get as drunk as possible?

Gold Coast has Trams now.

JBP posted:

BHP have been plainly saying they don't believe in geo coal mining being viable into the future for a while and that they're going to mine poo poo that is worth actual money like nickel, copper and coking coal.

And as much Lithium extraction as they can purchase.
Australia's Minerals boom has life in it yet, we've got shitloads of Lithium and other "poo poo people want all of a sudden".

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Can't wait for the Solar boom to hit full speed so I can power my own house with my own feces using the Tesla Power Hole

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
You mean you're not connected to The Grid (TM)?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

Can't wait for the Solar boom to hit full speed so I can power my own house with my own feces using the Tesla Power Hole

using poo poo to power your posting would violate the laws of thermodynamics somehow

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-20/banks-revamp-code-of-practice-in-face-of-scandals/9274440

Is this stuff significant? I remember goons going on about dodgy lending, but that's not mentioned here

As far as I can tell it looks like good for the consumer but in reality it's probably stuff they're absolutely prepared to give up if it saves a closer look at their lending practices.
Isn't the Banking Royal Commission going after Industry Superfunds in any event?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

So what scared the banks bad enough that they’re doing this good-guy act?

They must be up to something real shady they don’t want coming out.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Hackers target UQ in a bid to inflate foreign students' scores

Hackers have infiltrated a University of Queensland feeder college's computer system to inflate the test scores of underperforming foreign students.

Cyber crime detectives are investigating a security breach at Brisbane's International Education Services (IES) College earlier this month.
An IES spokesperson said one of its computer systems was targeted but would not say exactly how many students' results were changed, only that "irregularities" were picked up before results were shared with UQ.

General manager Gerard van Balveren said police were called in about a fortnight ago, after manual end-of-year checks revealed there was a problem.

But he said it was a good news story because it proved the college's manual checks were an effective safety net.

"It seems that an attempt was made to change the marks of some students," he said on Tuesday.

But he said there was never any danger that UQ would admit students on the basis of falsified records, because the computer system that was targeted wasn't the one used to compile final results statements for pupils.

Industry sources said the results of 30 to 40 students were manipulated and the incident bore the hallmarks of an orchestrated hack.

The college won't say how many records were changed, just that it was fewer than 30 and only "some" were affected.

"From our point of view our quality assurance worked," Mr van Balveren said, adding UQ was informed immediately.

Sources associated with IES, who don't want to be named, said that student results continued to be changed even after "the first whiff of problems", and that some staff cross-checking results had watched numbers change in real time.

In some cases, academic results had been manipulated upwards by just a few percentage points, to reach benchmarks set by UQ, in other cases students marks had more than doubled.

Queensland Police confirmed in a statement it received a complaint from IES on November 30 regarding an alleged computer hacking or misuse incident, but said it was "inappropriate" to comment until the investigation was finalised.

UQ trusts IES College to run a foundation year program for foreign students hoping to enter undergraduate courses.

They pay between about $23,000 and $30,000 and if they hit UQ's benchmark results they are guaranteed a place in the course of their choice.

A UQ spokeswoman said it had been assured the "integrity" of the grades provided to the educational facility were correct.

"IES has been the approved provider of UQ's foundation program for more than two decades."

Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull recently said his government took "very seriously" media reports the Chinese Communist Party had attempted to influence Australian media, universities and politics.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Schlesische posted:

New solution is the E-class, which has decent seating and air-con.

The Before Times posted:

It's also because the D-class formed microscopic cracks in the frame and required them to modify it so it wouldn't collapse like wet cardboard in the event of an accident.

Schlesische posted:

It's low floor. The suspension has to go somewhere.
Again, see: E-class, low floor but none of the stupid seat config of the D-class.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Mad Katter posted:

I feel like reading about trams over the Christmas break now.
You're not already bookmarked to this thread? :monocle:

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

lol turns out the two ex-ministers barnaby forced onto the backbench in yesterday’s reshuffle aren’t particularly pleased and are making rumblings about defecting

i don’t expect anything to come from it because as we all know the nationals have even less of a spine than turnbull but i appreciate the good work barnaby is doing as deputy pm to assist turnbull in destroying the lnp

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Household solar requires you to actually own a home in order to install it, and the only people that own homes also don't believe in climate change

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah but it increases the value of the property!

That said this is Australia so spending money on solar panels that aren't somewhere in the NT or northern WA is dumb. Even with transmission losses.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 20, 2017

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Also “investment property” owners have zero incentive to install them because they don’t pay the electricity bills. Maybe if those bills were included in your rent though...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Les Affaires posted:

Also “investment property” owners have zero incentive to install them because they don’t pay the electricity bills. Maybe if those bills were included in your rent though...

Lolling at the idea of investment properties getting rented out instead of sitting empty.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

CrazyTolradi posted:

New solution is the E-class, which has decent seating and air-con.

It's also because the D-class formed microscopic cracks in the frame and required them to modify it so it wouldn't collapse like wet cardboard in the event of an accident.

Again, see: E-class, low floor but none of the stupid seat config of the D-class.

See my problem is that as the E-class moves trams off the more congested Northern lines, I get all the poo poo that gets moved off them on my eastern/south eastern lines. As it is I get a bunch of Z3's but I'm gonna be exclusively riding D's when the Es take over.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but it increases the value of the property!

That said this is Australia so spending money on solar panels that aren't somewhere in the NT or northern WA is dumb. Even with transmission losses.

If only there was some way in which you could recoup costs borne from having solar panels and selling off the excess power you generated at an amount that wasn't an absolute joke.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

BBJoey posted:

lol turns out the two ex-ministers barnaby forced onto the backbench in yesterday’s reshuffle aren’t particularly pleased and are making rumblings about defecting

i don’t expect anything to come from it because as we all know the nationals have even less of a spine than turnbull but i appreciate the good work barnaby is doing as deputy pm to assist turnbull in destroying the lnp

I imagine there are quite a few backbenchers who have been running the numbers on if they could switch to independent and get some nice pork barreling for their communities in return for supporting the government.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

Lolling at the idea of investment properties getting rented out instead of going up on AirBnB
FTFY

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-20/federation-square-building-demolished-for-apple-store/9275498
Ugggghhh

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

What the gently caress? That's terrible.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Nashville people are loud.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

The Yarra building is where the Koorie Heritage Trust is housed as well. Hope they're not being displaced.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Oh good, more progress towards our dystopian cyberpunk future

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

The Before Times posted:

The Yarra building is where the Koorie Heritage Trust is housed as well. Hope they're not being displaced.

Being moved to the Alfred Deakin building

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

All hail our corporate overlords, ushering in the Shadowrun distopia

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Honestly, Apple would be more at home on Collins St next to Hermes or Prada because it's basically how they're marketing and pricing themselves now days.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

CrazyTolradi posted:

Honestly, Apple would be more at home on Collins St next to Hermes or Prada because it's basically how they're marketing and pricing themselves now days.

I already have to walk past dumbasses queuing up to be let into the Gucci store no more please

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Solemn Sloth posted:

I already have to walk past dumbasses queuing up to be let into the Gucci store no more please
Don't feel bad if you bump into a few of them, they're not actually human.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

hiddenmovement posted:

Household solar requires you to actually own a home in order to install it, and the only people that own homes also don't believe in climate change

I'm a home owner but I can't afford the install costs for a decent system :sad:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

gently caress this loving bullshit, gently caress Apple

It's bad enough they clog up Fed square with big brand displays and advertising all the loving time

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Their math is saying that's 5,500 visitors to the Apple store daily. That's a lot of cracked iphone screens.

In that article the lead architect actually calls it "Apple Federation Square".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

It's a temple to capitalism, and people visit it just 'cos.

• Locked thread