Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Let's just give up the pretense and ask IBM to make President Watson and see what comes of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Praxis Prion
Apr 11, 2002

The sky is a landfill.
Pillbug

RuanGacho posted:

For some reason NPR is doing a parade of interviews with Republicans and I just heard the rep of NY-21 tell the country that "Even more economists say tax cuts create jobs". [Than say that trickle down is perhaps a myth as suggested by the host].

I had to shut it off.

I did the same today after yelling in my car at her. NPR is poo poo now.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Praxis Prion posted:

I did the same today after yelling in my car at her. NPR is poo poo now.

NPR was always poo poo.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

RuanGacho posted:

Let's just give up the pretense and ask IBM to make President Watson and see what comes of it.

https://www.theverge.com/2016/3/24/11297050/tay-microsoft-chatbot-racist

lateral move at worst

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

At least then the Racist Markov generator will also be able to recite facts about things.

Come to think of it, does Trump pass the Turing test?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's Twitter only.

We could turn an AI into a genocidal maniac in a day if everyone in America chipped in.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

RuanGacho posted:

IBM owes a ton of their success to selling punch card technology to the Nazis so this would probably end badly.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

TheBalor posted:

Then what the hell is he doing in Iowa?

Windsor Heights Dairy Queen is good place for u kno what

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Hey guys what is some sufficiently ideologically pure national news media I can read?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Mr. Peepers posted:

Hey guys what is some sufficiently ideologically pure national news media I can read?
Tumblr.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

@dril

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Mr. Peepers posted:

the Anti Empire report

https://williamblum.org/aer/read/153

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mr. Peepers posted:

The PPJ Twitter dump.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mr. Peepers posted:

IGN.com

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
While in a burger induced haze I caught some of the 'debate' going on in the Senate tonight and it seemed this idea of tax burden was being pushed quite a bit and that those that pay the most taxes, the uppermost bracket, would have their burden increase further while everyone else's burden would decrease. How does that work other than if a small group owns a disproporationate amount of over the overall wealth they will logically be the largest tax contributors? I'm not understanding how if the rich are going to be paying so much more in taxes as they suggest that there is then going to be a 1.5T debt. Just trying to reconcile the logic. Also, someone clear this up for me - I keep hearing debt and deficit being thrown around seemingly interchangeably. Which is it actually?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I read an article about how this tax bill can turn into the funding for 3T of government spending under the next unified D government. So we have that going for us...

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Crabtree posted:

How many times may we relive this hell of them hitting this poo poo back and forth until midterms?

Would you prefer they pass the poo poo they intend to do as fast as possible?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Crabtree posted:

How many times may we relive this hell of them hitting this poo poo back and forth until midterms?

They are going to end Social Security and Medicare in the 2018 lame duck session.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Glazier posted:

NPR was always poo poo.

NPR Politics and Up First are top notch podcasts.

Planet Money and The Indicator also, if you're an econ wonk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Rip Testes posted:

While in a burger induced haze I caught some of the 'debate' going on in the Senate tonight and it seemed this idea of tax burden was being pushed quite a bit and that those that pay the most taxes, the uppermost bracket, would have their burden increase further while everyone else's burden would decrease. How does that work other than if a small group owns a disproporationate amount of over the overall wealth they will logically be the largest tax contributors? I'm not understanding how if the rich are going to be paying so much more in taxes as they suggest that there is then going to be a 1.5T debt. Just trying to reconcile the logic. Also, someone clear this up for me - I keep hearing debt and deficit being thrown around seemingly interchangeably. Which is it actually?

I'm not sure what the hell you're talking about regarding tax burden. If I'm reading you correctly people are lying liars who lie.

Deficit is the annual difference between spending and revenue if spending is more than revenue. Debt is the accumulated result of the deficit, ie the amount of money owed to creditors through treasury bonds which are incredibly, implausibly, preposterously, ludicrously cheap to sell right now.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

RuanGacho posted:

If corporations can be people, can I vote for President Gallup? At least they will listen to me.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

They are going to end Social Security and Medicare in the 2018 lame duck session.

Then they lose every election for a decade. Followed by New deal part 2: the dealing.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Mustached Demon posted:

Then they lose every election for a decade. Followed by New deal part 2: the dealing.

Voters have short memories. Also, Gorsuch will most definitely find ND: 2 unconstitutional.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

Mr. Peepers posted:

The Onion.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000
Bad news guys, according to CNN Hillary's approval rating is at an all-time low

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mcmagic posted:

Voters have short memories. Also, Gorsuch will most definitely find ND: 2 unconstitutional.

Then Notorious RBG stabs him in the throat with a rusty pair of scissors once used by FDR.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Petr posted:

She failed to save us from this so, yeah...

I recognize I'm putting my collective disappointment with our entire society on her shoulders, but I'm a lovely middle class white man and well... We're bad people.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Petr posted:

She was a horrific candidate.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mcmagic posted:

She was a horrific candidate.

I feel like, given who won, this is a misuse of the word horrific. We now know what horrific looks like.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I don't know how you guys can be so sure of the BLUE WAVE you're always crowing about. If this dickbags tax bill artificially inflates the growth rate of the economy at the time it's most likely to and designed to, what makes you think most idiots are going to see anything other than that and a standard deduction that's twice as big on their most recent 1040 when they go to the ballot box? It's a dirty loving plan to sell out our entire future to trick their way past a single midterm, but why should we assume it will fail considering how dumb people had to be to vote for Trump in the first place?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Chilichimp posted:

She failed to save us from this so, yeah...

I recognize I'm putting my collective disappointment with our entire society on her shoulders, but I'm a lovely middle class white man and well... We're bad people.

Ultimately Hillary herself isn’t really the cause so much as a symptom of what brought us to this point.

Won’t care too much if she becomes its avatar regardless.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

mcmagic posted:

Right, as evidenced by the South still voting the way they do based on the civil rights act 50 years ago.

Sanguinia posted:

I don't know how you guys can be so sure of the BLUE WAVE you're always crowing about. If this dickbags tax bill artificially inflates the growth rate of the economy at the time it's most likely to and designed to, what makes you think most idiots are going to see anything other than that and a standard deduction that's twice as big on their most recent 1040 when they go to the ballot box? It's a dirty loving plan to sell out our entire future to trick their way past a single midterm, but why should we assume it will fail considering how dumb people had to be to vote for Trump in the first place?

The stock market has been really high for the entire Trump presidency, yet his approval rating has plummeted and the Rs just lost an alabama seat.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Snowman_McK posted:

I feel like, given who won, this is a misuse of the word horrific. We now know what horrific looks like.

No that is wrong. She isn't a horrific person and she wouldn't have been a horrific president. She was, however. a horrific candidate. Trump is horrific in pretty much every aspect.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

BrianBoitano posted:

NPR Politics and Up First are top notch podcasts.

Planet Money and The Indicator also, if you're an econ wonk.

What irks me about NPR politics is that they clearly realize the GOP/Trump points are bullshit, and hint heavily at it, but are afraid to flat out say it.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

The economy is doing better than it has in two decades and Trump is still the least popular President of the modern age and his entire political party is in a tailspin.

People hate Trump. He's detestable. He can't even skate by with some fake folksy country wisdom like W did for some years. The economy can't save him.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mantis42 posted:

And its not passing.

Why not? You are really, really strangely confident considering how loving close it was last time and that the GOP has dropped all pretenses and are all getting worse moving forward. Drop a bunch of Congressman and Senators in the elections and you have a Congress primed to nuke it all on their way out.

Boon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 20, 2017

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

mcmagic posted:

No that is wrong. She isn't a horrific person and she wouldn't have been a horrific president. She was, however. a horrific candidate. Trump is horrific in pretty much every aspect.

Well that about covers it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sanguinia posted:

The tax bill is repealing the individual mandate, which is going to hurt everyone's wallet other than millionaires far, far more than they'll save.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

I still believe that Hillary would have, in a vacuum, been a quality President but she would have been bogged down with ENDLESS manufactured scandals and attempts by the Republican controlled Congress to derail literally every action she made. There would have, without a doubt, been articles of impeachment drawn up within days just because. She would have accomplished nothing and lost in 2020 as people stupidly go "well I guess both sides really are the same after all" and allow the Republicans to take a supermajority in Congress.

Can you imagine a 2018 midterm with Hillary as President? Holy hell it would have been a Dem wipeout. The GOP would have 55-58 Senators, easy.

Shimrra Jamaane fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Dec 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachi Constant
Feb 2, 2006

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all

Mustached Demon posted:

Fat weighs less than muscle.

I'm sorry, but as a physics teacher I must insist that you say "fat is less dense than muscle", or "a given volume of fat would weigh a little less than that volume of muscle (for humans at least, and possibly for all animals)".

Thank you.

Also, gently caress all the Republican looters in power.

• Locked thread