Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I started a small rant about how little writing I felt I was producing, when I looked back on all of the essays and reports I did in college and realized that, just as a hobby, I'm putting out 50%+ more words than I did back then.

Things are actually looking up, I realize, and it made for a really good, self-reflective evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Had my workout group's annual Christmas workout today and then a bunch of us went and got dinner after we finished. Nice to have gym fam around while my wife is out of the country for Christmas :unsmith:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

After almost 2 years of being chronically ill I'm finally going to be tested for Lyme and its co-infections. :D

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
Found out today that I'm moving off of night shift late next month. It's all I have wanted since I made the idiotic mistake of switching to nights almost two years ago.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

I helped my fiance's mom wrap presents for the family-- a poo poo ton of presents-- and put up the tree. This will be the first real Christmas I've had in a decade. I'm so excited to see everyone open their stuff.

Also I'm off work in a half hour, which is great because it's 30 degrees and my hands are numb.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
I got feedback from my review for my class and I hit all my goals.

The cast iron skillet I ordered came in today.

I spent my day making crafts for my classes and listening to podcasts.

All in all, a good rear end day.

Okuteru has a new favorite as of 11:01 on Dec 22, 2017

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

My friend gave me her old Sony DSLR camera and I spent 3 wonderful hours today wandering the local parks photographing the local wildlife and listening to music. It feels great to be creative again and truly excited about a new hobby.

Is there a photography thread somewhere?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
I've been having a really lovely past 3 days but they just put on the KoTH episode where Bobby learns self defense. Makes everything better

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Someone posted a computer type drawing and then said they did it using Note on their phone. I didn't know about that, and played for hours, one of the things I drew was this version of Van Gogh's Two Peasant Women in the Peat Fields. Being able to use the back arrow to instantly erase is a GAMECHANGER.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I forgot some tissues in the pocket of a pair of pants I put in the wash, and somehow they didn't completely disintegrate and ruin the load of laundry, but rather I found them in a whole wet clump on the bottom of the washing machine.

I'm baffled as to how this happened, but I'm definitely not complaining.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene

Megabound posted:

My friend gave me her old Sony DSLR camera and I spent 3 wonderful hours today wandering the local parks photographing the local wildlife and listening to music. It feels great to be creative again and truly excited about a new hobby.

Is there a photography thread somewhere?

There's a whole subforum. Have fun!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=247

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I loving won Xmas! Took my nephew, dad, and brother in law to the Bears game (it was my nephew's first pro football game). Bought my niece a real pink cash register (with keys! {she's big into having keys right now}) so we could play store for real. Made the lasagne for our dinner (my mom made the lechon and black beans and rice.) Scared my dad with a fake snake in his present. Got my sister a spa day so she could get some time away for herself. And framed my grandfather's war medal with a picture of him and my grandma as a gift to my mom (that was a joint effort by me and my dad).

I'm not usually a good person, but I am a good son/brother/uncle.

Solice Kirsk has a new favorite as of 08:18 on Dec 25, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
My computer has one of those generic built-in 12-in-1 media card readers, and it out of the blue decided to stop reading anything. Couldn't update the driver because device manager didn't know what it was, couldn't figure out what it was even called to find a driver on my own, and I knew the drat thing was still working because it had a light on and the USB port still worked.

I went into the BIOS, found it listed there as a generic USB device, and designated it as a hard drive. Now it reads any card I put in it and calls it a USB drive. I'm usually not computer savvy enough to figure poo poo like this out, and it made me feel like a wizard.

Rollersnake has a new favorite as of 06:44 on Dec 27, 2017

PurdWerfect
Aug 29, 2000

I howled drunkenly into the night tonight and was answered by the voice of another who gets the dark romance of it.

PurdWerfect has a new favorite as of 17:52 on Dec 27, 2017

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
My guitar came in earlier than expected. Now I can finally practice!

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
This girl who hates me and threatened to stab me on more than one occasion got a tattoo and it's awful, in quality and content. It's a triangle, x, o and square, but because the linework is shite it's more like a very wonky triangle, x, 0, rectangle . I know it's petty and spiteful but eh.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Whitlam posted:

This girl who hates me and threatened to stab me on more than one occasion got a tattoo and it's awful, in quality and content. It's a triangle, x, o and square, but because the linework is shite it's more like a very wonky triangle, x, 0, rectangle . I know it's petty and spiteful but eh.

Are they a playstation?

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

Grassy Knowles posted:

Are they a playstation?

She is a "game journalist and social media personality". Which is a lot of words to say unemployed.

Edit: as in, she genuinely just sits at home all day and will occasionally stream herself playing a game. Her boyfriend supports them both.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I’ll soon be gifted a new laptop, with a dedicated GPU. Only a matter of time before I can play XCOM at 30-60fps instead of a steady 10 fps. Personally I’d rather be gifted computer parts for a custom built pc, but I’ll take what I can get. Oh and I got A’s on my latest college exams.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
I had a very productive writing weekend, cranked out a much more story. Tomorrow I revamp my website to make posts easier to find.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
This is going to seem like a big tragedy, but everyone we dealt with so far has been amazing, we are on the path to recovery, and we've got enough percocet to kill like 7 elephants.

On christmas day in my new (to me) beautiful manual tsx we were essentially scared off a road, a tire slammed into a train track, and we flipped a few times end over end before taking out a telephone pole. Going 50mph (~80?kmh) we totalled the car that I've had for three weeks. I got out of it with a cracked sternum, a broken nose, and a dislocated wrist. My wonderful, amazing wife had her ulna snapped, a couple broken ribs, and some minor internal injuries from laying down and essentially missing the airbag as it went off.

The medics that responded to the call just *knew* we were dead before getting there, you don't hear the phrase "multiple flips, highway speed, telephone pole out of the ground" and think someone's still alive. But they saw to us so well. They treated us wonderfully, and once we explained that I'm in ems and she's an er nurse they cut the poo poo and told us what was going on, what they were currently worried about, what they could already rule out, etc. It was amazing piece of mind.

At the hospital we both got snowed out on pain meds while they went through all the imaging needed to make sure we didn't have something fun like a bruised heart or a Subarachnoid bleed. Everyone was wonderful, I honestly couldn't have asked for better care for my wife or I.

After two days we got to go home, we are walking, and we are gonna be okay.

I'm just so, so loving thankful. We could have easily both died on impact or from complications.

This probably sounds a bit muddled, vov I'm happy that I'm here, that she's here, that once our chests heal up I can hug the love of my life again.

e: oh yeah and my inlaws just bought a crossfit gym so I've got free access to all the cages, bumper plates, oly platforms, and bars I could ask for once I recover. gently caress yeah son

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

This probably sounds a bit muddled, vov I'm happy that I'm here, that she's here, that once our chests heal up I can hug the love of my life again.

That is amazing and I'm glad the two of you are okay. :unsmith:

Why I'm here: my parents cut me a check for the holidays. Unexpected money. Enough to pay my outstanding medical bills and buy a new pair of good shoes money.

And SeaGoatSupreme and his wife are okay.

Sugar Bean
Jun 6, 2011

Hangover of no regrets.
I had to call an ambulance today, not for the first time, for my alcoholic mother, who I thankfully don't live with anymore.
After a series of texts back and forth with family members about how she's doing, I had gotten increasingly frustrated at hearing to same info a bunch of times, which I voiced to my 90 year old grandfather, said I loved him, and that he was precious.
He replied with this:

"And to all, a good night!

Your pleasant, granddaughterly way makes me happier than a parrot at a Nabisco plant.

Yo, Chris!

Nite all,

LOVE

Gpa

And u have personsaaaality out the
Wazoooooo!

Happy at school?
I
Must crash...

Been a day that's was longer than a pauper's
hope.

Mańana

Gpa"

Nice to know I've become a weird sarcastic rear end in a top hat from everyone in my family.

*chris is my husband's name, but he hadn't been mentioned at all in the conversation.

Sugar Bean has a new favorite as of 06:30 on Dec 30, 2017

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I am one step closer to being able to say 'suck it' to part-time and especially to retail. Hospital job woot!

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Wrong thread

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Megabound posted:

Wrong thread

I hope you have something to post in this thread soon.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Playing Quake Champions, there's a character who mutters Russian phrases now and again. For the first time, tonight I actually started picking out a word here and there that I recognized from my studies.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
My scrubs came in today!

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
So I'm a professional balloon artist, and the company that makes my balloons, Qualatex, just released an amazing new product yesterday. Here's their video introducing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AD4WhtdKdw

That doesn't do them justice, even. I got given a few samples to play with:

They are seriously shiny as hell, and I can't wait to order them.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That's actually really cool! I'll have to remember those when my niece's birthday comes around.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

TwystNeko posted:

So I'm a professional balloon artist, and the company that makes my balloons, Qualatex, just released an amazing new product yesterday. Here's their video introducing it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AD4WhtdKdw

That doesn't do them justice, even. I got given a few samples to play with:

They are seriously shiny as hell, and I can't wait to order them.

:frogon:

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
This morning started with me being invited to speak at a small local conference, continued with an actually good sales presentation, and concluded with me writing a surprising number of words about authorship and writing itself. Other than my wife being sick, today was a really drat good day.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
My mom is awesome.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

Mikl posted:

My mom is awesome.

I think your mom is awesome too

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
The new SALR now has almost all the functionality of the old one that Firefox v57 broke! :dance:
It makes me happy, anyway; I used the poo poo out of a lot of its features.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

First my new camera lens came in (my first prime that's going to be perfect for indoor shooting) and then my housemate called up and asked if I was going to get a camera bag, and if I'd rather a satchell or backpack. Then he came back with a $150 camera bag he got for free from work. Put me in the best mood.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
After loading my last Saint's Row IV save to find a near-completed state, I realized it'd been just long enough that I don't really remember many details about Saints Row 3. It'll practically be a new game again, which always is a thing for replaying games for me. Generally, I remember too much to ever play things again.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

MisterBibs posted:

After loading my last Saint's Row IV save to find a near-completed state, I realized it'd been just long enough that I don't really remember many details about Saints Row 3. It'll practically be a new game again, which always is a thing for replaying games for me. Generally, I remember too much to ever play things again.

SR3 has only .05% percent of stuff in SR4; SR3 sucks really really really bad; but you’ve made me want to play 4 again; the game is amazing.

My favorite part is when you play it as a 2D game to save a very important person. And omg I love the songs in that level.

Day has gotten better cause I’m listening to those songs.

:siren: super spoiler :siren:

You’re gonna have a link instead of an imbedded video because BB code is confusing right now

Saints Row Spoiler :siren: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cmP6HnjuZdw :siren: Saints Row spoiler

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 11:34 on Jan 16, 2018

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I ate some sour gummy worms

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

SR3 sucks really really really bad

Eh, I liked it once and I'm enjoying playing it again (honestly, at the moment my interest is in more of a driving action game instead of a superpower action game), especially since it's been long enough that I can make a new Boss with a different voice and I'm not getting the THATS NOT THE BOSS spergnoyance like I otherwise would.