Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but it increases the value of the property!

That said this is Australia so spending money on solar panels that aren't somewhere in the NT or northern WA is dumb. Even with transmission losses.

We have very good solar potential.

EDIT: Why image not show why

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

hiddenmovement posted:

We have very good solar potential.

EDIT: Why image not show why

SA Forums can't handle plain handle plain http addresses. It has to be https. And don't image leech.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

JBP posted:

BHP have been plainly saying they don't believe in geo coal mining being viable into the future for a while and that they're going to mine poo poo that is worth actual money like nickel, copper and coking coal.

When coal mines close down bhp benefits from out of job workers to pick up on the cheap.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

cohsae posted:

Their math is saying that's 5,500 visitors to the Apple store daily. That's a lot of cracked iphone screens.

In that article the lead architect actually calls it "Apple Federation Square".
Federation Square, brought to you by the Apple iPhone!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a lot of space around it for an angry crowd though.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

Barnaby Joyce's revenge backfires on Malcolm Turnbull

The Turnbull government's recently restored parliamentary majority is again under threat with aggrieved Nationals MP Keith Pitt considering joining the crossbench following a ministerial reshuffle in which he and Infrastructure minister Darren Chester were dumped by Barnaby Joyce.

Mr Pitt told colleagues on Tuesday he was considering his options. Publicly, he would only say he would continue to serve his electors in the Bundaberg-based seat of Hinkler, but not in what capacity.

Mr Joyce said of the threat: "That's a question for Keith."

The Nationals were on the brink of internal revolt after leader Mr Joyce dumped the pair as part of a Coalition cabinet reshuffle announced by Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, his fifth ministerial shake-up in just over two years as Prime Minister.

It's a mess and it's going to turn into an even bigger mess," said a Nationals MP.

The official reason Mr Chester was dumped was there were only four Nationals MPs from Victoria and that two in cabinet were too many.

Newly elected deputy leader Bridget McKenzie, for whom Mr Chester did the numbers, is also a Victorian and she went straight into cabinet by virtue of her position. She replaced former Nationals deputy leader Fiona Nash, who was disqualified from Parliament for being a dual citizen when elected.

Queensland had long claimed to have been under-represented and Queensland Liberal National Party MPs were threatening to break away and sit as a third Coalition party in Canberra if their representation did not increase.

Mr Joyce, who selects the Nationals for the ministry, told MPs he was jammed between keeping Mr Chester or promoting another Queenslander. He went for the latter but controversially chose first-term backbencher David Littleproud.

Queenslander Mr Pitt, who has an awkward relationship with Mr Joyce, was not just overlooked for promotion but dumped from his job as parliamentary secretary for trade.

First-term Queensland Liberal MP and former state government minister John McVeigh also jumped straight from the backbench to cabinet, filling the spot left by fellow Queensland Liberal George Brandis, who resigned as Attorney-General to replace Alexander Downer as Australia's next high commissioner in London.

Also departing cabinet was NSW Liberal Arthur Sinodinos, who resigned as Industry, Innovation and Science Minister due to ill health, but will stay in the Senate. In all, there were five new faces in the cabinet, the other two being former Liberal junior ministers Dan Tehan and Michael Keenan.

The Nationals kept their five-out-of-22 cabinet positions, despite losing Ms Nash, but Mr Chester's spot was given to Mr Littleproud whose sole federal political experience is 18 months as a backbencher.

Senior NSW Nationals MP Michael McCormack, who also has an awkward relationship with the leader, was overlooked and stays in the outer ministry. He lost Small Business and was given Veterans Affairs.

Sources asserted that Mr Joyce was squaring up with those who have opposed him internally while also "taking out" any perceived opposition to Senator Matt Canavan, who is being groomed as the leadership successor.

"It's all about protecting Canavan," claimed one Nationals MP.

In the ballot for deputy leader, Mr Chester did the numbers for Senator McKenzie against Mr Joyce's candidate of Senator Canavan.

Mr Chester was also one of two Nationals who supported same-sex marriage.

Mr Chester was furious at his demotion. In frenetic last-minute conversations with Mr Turnbull and Mr Joyce, he was offered the most junior role as parliamentary secretary "but told them to stick it", said a party source.

Mr Turnbull said demoting the pair was Mr Joyce's idea.

"The composition of the ministry has to take into account matters of geography as well, and, plainly ... the Nationals have a very large component of their party room comes from Queensland," he said.

"Barnaby was keen to see that reflected in their representatives in the cabinet."

Labor leader Bill Shorten said "Barnaby Joyce has gone mad and Malcolm Turnbull's too weak to stop him".

The anger in the Nationals was especially over Mr Chester's treatment, given he had helped keep the party together while Mr Joyce was absent fighting the New England byelection, caused by his own failure to declare his dual citizenship.

Mr Joyce won the byelection and, at the weekend, Liberal MP John Alexander, also a dual citizen, won back Bennelong, restoring the government's one-seat majority on the floor of the House.

If Mr Pitt defects, guaranteeing only supply and confidence, the government would be back to 74 MPs on the floor, ranged against 75 Labor and crossbench MPs.

In the reshuffle, Mr Joyce moved from Agriculture to take Mr Chester's job as Infrastructure and Transport Minister, giving him oversight during an election year of the much-vaunted Melbourne-to-Brisbane inland rail link.

Mr Littleproud's ascension to Agriculture and Water Minister has caused a lot of friction.

"Colleagues are just dumbstruck," said an MP. "He used to be a rural bank lender. That will go down a treat in the bush."

Handing water to a Queensland National, Mr Littleproud, has also sparked anger in South Australia. He opposes the Murray-Darling Basin Plan and has the giant Cubby Station cotton farm in his electorate of Maranoa.

Senator McKenzie became Minister for Sport, Rural Health and Regional Communications.

http://www.afr.com/news/barnaby-joyces-revenge-backfires-on-malcolm-turnbull-20171218-h06w9c

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ugh, the design is horrible for Fed Square. It's mandatory for flagship Apple stores to be glass cubes, but they could at least fit the trimmings to the style of Fed Square, since the square buildings have a unified and very distinct look and a single building of totally different style will make it all clash horribly and stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, they probably deliberately refused to do that because the big Apple stores have to 'stand out' and 'be unique'.

Store aside, this might actually be an improvement to the square, since it's half the size of the current building and they're putting in broad terrace steps down to river level in the new space, which is something the square has always desperately needed.

If they were really taking advantage they'd structure the new steps as an ampitheatre, there'd be tons of uses at Fed Square.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

Employment Minister Michaelia Cash has two weeks to hand over documents linked to raids on the Australian Workers Union after she lost a legal bid in the Federal Court.

Justice Mordecai Bromberg on Wednesday found the AWU had a legitimate reason to see the documents from Senator Cash's office to determine if there was political motivation for the October 24 raids in Melbourne and Sydney.

:dong:

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, the design is horrible for Fed Square. It's mandatory for flagship Apple stores to be glass cubes,

So, how powerful are their air conditioners?

Glass cube plus Australian summer plus 5k+ people per day is a lot of heat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, how powerful are their air conditioners?

Glass cube plus Australian summer plus 5k+ people per day is a lot of heat.

Well it looks like they put a hat on this one, at least.

That said, Apple does not bow to the whims of practicality or effective design.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, the design is horrible for Fed Square. It's mandatory for flagship Apple stores to be glass cubes, but they could at least fit the trimmings to the style of Fed Square, since the square buildings have a unified and very distinct look and a single building of totally different style will make it all clash horribly and stick out like a sore thumb.

That said, they probably deliberately refused to do that because the big Apple stores have to 'stand out' and 'be unique'.

Store aside, this might actually be an improvement to the square, since it's half the size of the current building and they're putting in broad terrace steps down to river level in the new space, which is something the square has always desperately needed.

If they were really taking advantage they'd structure the new steps as an ampitheatre, there'd be tons of uses at Fed Square.

I read somewhere that it's gonna create a wind tunnel effect to blow through which, if Docklands is any indicator, will make the area a concrete hell in winter.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm sure they're doing lots of computer modelling to eliminate the effect, right?

:eng99:

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure they're doing lots of computer modelling to eliminate the effect, right?

:eng99:
It's ok, if you can handle walking around Exhibition or Collins it'll be a breeze.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

What's the bet it's all redacted

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

http://www.afr.com/news/barnaby-joyces-revenge-backfires-on-malcolm-turnbull-20171218-h06w9c

quote:

Handing water to a Queensland National, Mr Littleproud, has also sparked anger in South Australia. He opposes the Murray-Darling Basin Plan and has the giant Cubby Station cotton farm in his electorate of Maranoa.

I love it

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-12-20/littleproud-appointment-a-one-finger-salute-weatherill-says/9276210

quote:

SA Premier Jay Weatherill has scorned the appointment of new Water Resources Minister David Littleproud, describing it as a "one-finger salute" to South Australia.

"It's like a big one-finger salute to South Australia," Mr Weatherill said.
"It's almost breathtaking — you appoint a member who represents Cubbie Station, the cotton growers, at a time when we've got water theft rampant across the basin.
"People are thumbing their nose at the Murray-Darling Basin Plan."

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

drunkill posted:

They won't win Vic next year unless Dandrews stomps on puppies in federation square for australia day.

Welp.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

vic labor stop hitting yourself

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.

The Before Times posted:

The Yarra building is where the Koorie Heritage Trust is housed as well. Hope they're not being displaced.

They're staying in Fed Square and being moved to a bigger space. They're not unhappy about this at all.

The people whinging about it not being a commercial space clearly haven't been there in a while, it's already full of restaurants and food trucks (which are commercial, even if they're hospitality) and other businesses like that convenience store and whatever, not to mention the swathes of shops that surround it. Everyone wants a progressive government until we actually have one and before people jump on that statement with a long list of Andrews' sins, please keep in mind I'm not saying he's perfect or the second coming of Bernie, Lenin and Corbyn mashed together, just more progressive than the other actual option, and objectively progressive on many fronts.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Well it looks like they put a hat on this one, at least.

That said, Apple does not bow to the whims of practicality or effective design.

Yeah, Rundle Mall in Adelaide has covered areas on both sides of the mall the whole way down, until Apple moved in and threatened to cancel their development unless they were given special permission to have the front of their store be uncovered. Meaning that in hot or wet weather the section in front of their store sucks for anyone walking through the mall.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Just going to say it's in the perfect spot for an angry mob to throw stones through those big windows.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Its not that I care about it being a consumerism monument is that I like the idea of Fed Square and the architecture and it's a real shame to have the whole monolith vibe ruined because of apples refusal to fit in anywhere.

Also it's a waste of a perfectly good building.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'll agree with MikeJF though. It's the least successful of the existing buildings. That apple cube isnt a solution to any of the problems it has though.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Do people even buy Apple products direct from the Apple shops? I thought iPhones mostly went on provider contracts?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Flagship Apple shops are more about building it as a prestige brand than actually acting as a shop.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Dont you have to take those horrid things to apple in order to have them repaired?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hiddenmovement posted:

Dont you have to take those horrid things to apple in order to have them repaired?

without voiding your warranty.

or you can take it to one of melbourne's hundreds of phone repair shops and get it done at a fraction.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Whitlam posted:

They're staying in Fed Square and being moved to a bigger space. They're not unhappy about this at all.

The people whinging about it not being a commercial space clearly haven't been there in a while, it's already full of restaurants and food trucks (which are commercial, even if they're hospitality) and other businesses like that convenience store and whatever, not to mention the swathes of shops that surround it. Everyone wants a progressive government until we actually have one and before people jump on that statement with a long list of Andrews' sins, please keep in mind I'm not saying he's perfect or the second coming of Bernie, Lenin and Corbyn mashed together, just more progressive than the other actual option, and objectively progressive on many fronts.

There’s a pretty big difference to the sense of space contributed to by a restaurant/cafe and an apple store

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Not just the sense of space, but the practical contribution to it as a city gathering place.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.pedestrian.tv/news/centrelink-demanding-woman-repay-welfare-after-ssm/

Christ

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

without voiding your warranty.

or you can take it to one of melbourne's hundreds of phone repair shops and get it done at a fraction.
Pretty sure there's even an Apple approved store across from ACMI/Fed square on Flinders st.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Solemn Sloth posted:

There’s a pretty big difference to the sense of space contributed to by a restaurant/cafe and an apple store

I disagree, but again, there's still the 7-11 there, for example. It'll also host workshops, classes, and music events. If that isn't the definition of "public space" I don't know what is. It's replacing an existing building (and again, the Koorie Heritage Trust aren't unhappy plus the original architect is on board), not taking new space, and it's the only one in the southern hemisphere, which means whether people like Apple or not, it'll be a tourist attraction, not to mention it's creating over 450 jobs all up.

I'm just laughing at all the people crying about it "ruining the design" of Fed Square when most people hated it until it won some wanky architectural design awards, and then everyone raced to prove they were the most cultured and actually they'd liked it all along.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

Pretty sure there's even an Apple approved store across from ACMI/Fed square on Flinders st.

Not for long, I'll bet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whitlam posted:

I'm just laughing at all the people crying about it "ruining the design" of Fed Square when most people hated it until it won some wanky architectural design awards, and then everyone raced to prove they were the most cultured and actually they'd liked it all along.

I'm not fond of the design of Fed Square, but for it to work at all it needs to be 100%. This'll totally blow.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

MikeJF posted:

I'm not fond of the design of Fed Square, but for it to work at all it needs to be 100%. This'll totally blow.

And again, the original lead architect, Donald Bates, disagrees with people who say it won't work.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Whitlam posted:

And again, the original lead architect, Donald Bates, disagrees with people who say it won't work.

Death of the architect.

Plus, he's being paid by Apple as a consultant, I'm sure he'd say a giant pink dildo fits at Apple rates.

But also Death of the Architect. Honestly, a few little shard shapes in the hat or collar would be all it needs, or shards as the balcony rail or patterned in the glass. Just a token nod.

Anyways, here's the new layout:

The new outdoor space looks good, though it's a pity there's still a bit of cliff to the river level. The opened up lawn area under the iStore will be welcome too.

Kinda surprised they're not making the iStore roof a deck, maybe an iCafe. It'd be a nice place to sit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 20, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Whitlam posted:

Everyone wants a progressive government until we actually have one and before people jump on that statement with a long list of Andrews' sins, please keep in mind I'm not saying he's perfect or the second coming of Bernie, Lenin and Corbyn mashed together, just more progressive than the other actual option, and objectively progressive on many fronts.

So dropping the news in the week before Christmas of a backdoor sweetheart deal about a public space behind the public's back with not even the poor excuse of a tender process with a multi-billion tax-dodging corporation that sells overpriced junk that spies on you and trashes functional buildings is perfectly ok with you because it's a Labor government?! Get hosed, mate.

Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

ewe2 posted:

So dropping the news in the week before Christmas of a backdoor sweetheart deal about a public space behind the public's back with not even the poor excuse of a tender process with a multi-billion tax-dodging corporation that sells overpriced junk that spies on you and trashes functional buildings is perfectly ok with you because it's a Labor government?! Get hosed, mate.

I never said anything about it being okay because it's Labor, I just said I disagree with the knee-jerk opposition because the space will be used for public events and activities and it's creating a bunch of jobs. Personally I'm not a huge fan of Apple and don't own any of their products, but I can put that aside to see the bigger picture.

As far as I can recall, you and I have never spoken or messaged, so I don't appreciate being told to get hosed merely for having a different opinion. If you disagree with me then fine, but resorting to "get hosed" is exactly the opposite of constructive debate. Solemn Sloth, MikeJF and I have respectfully disagreed with each other, so it'd be great if you could join in or keep out.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

that article posted:

Centrelink’s rule on what constitutes a de facto relationship includes any couple living together on a genuine domestic basis, and has traditionally included people in same-sex relationships. However owing to the Tasmanian woman’s marital, living, and financial status, it reportedly did not apply to her until she reported her marriage.

Yeah, I think there might be more to this story - Centrelink have been more than happy to assess you as being in a relationship, even if it's a same sex one since 2009 (which is apparently now long enough to be a tradition) and actually being married or not doesn't have all that much to do with it. Same sex marriage has nothing to do with this.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
The jobs claim is the most spurious to me, since a large number are just construction, and the remainder are very unlikely to be full time. I’d like to see how many FTE ongoing jobs it’s going to provide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Triple M is making the surprising move to launch its own top 100 playlist on Australia Day next year, just weeks after triple j announced it is moving the date of the Hottest 100.

An email sent to Triple M subscribers, obtained by The Music today, announced the 'Ozzest 100' list and takes a jab at the youth broadcaster.

"So, the taxpayer funded FM has decided that there’ll be no soundtrack for Australia Day. Let’s face it, that’s usually full of hipsters or kids making music on a Mac," the email reads.

"At Triple M, we’re going to give you what you’ve asked for. The perfect Australia Day soundtrack."

• Locked thread