Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think it's just AVCS cars. I don't recall ever seeing a filter in the turbo oil feed banjos for an 02-05 wrx.

And I think there was a tsb to pull them out and they're not on new cars anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, the shop said not to expect an estimate on my car until near the end of the week. JFC.

Opinions: ‘99 OBS with 207k miles, bent control arm, probably bent tie rod and sway bar, and front driver’s side quarter panel shoved back so the door pops at it when it opens. Almost certainly totaled?

I got approved for a loan for 6k, hopefully I don’t need all of it.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

It's essentially Christmas week so it will all take too long.

I would say they will total your car.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Probably totalled, unfortunately. Worth fixing.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, probably going to try fixing it myself and registering as salvage. I’m not moving as soon as I thought, so that gives me some time to work on it every weekend. I’m really bad at fixing cars, but I rediscovered the magic of PB Blaster recently, so that might help get at the bolts that have been getting crap on them for the last 18 years. And there’s no better way to get better at fixing cars than working on them. Also no better way to collect dozens of bloody knuckles.

Not that I break poo poo, I just take forever to do anything.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 19, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Ugh. After having to change my clutch fork on a garage floor awhile ago I kind of told myself not to do that again. But no shop/lift yet so here I am helping out a friend

The nice thing is I'm getting paid a little and all the bolts came out easily. But the trans stuck to the block and took a lot of hammering and prying. Have never had one that hard to get apart before.

Oh and also if anyone needs some struts, the next few weeks or so would be a good time. I get tokicos for really cheap right now and there are a bunch of d-specs and blues available for the wrx. They'll also mostly fit the 95-99 legacy, and I suppose GCs and 1st gen legacys too but there are some issues with putting them on the narrower track cars and 1st gen stuff. And I also made a list of most of the other stuff here

http://hellafunctional.com/?p=2168

jamal fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Dec 20, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Is it pretty original? I've heard nightmare stories of trying to split the trans from the block the first time, but haven't had a chance because all of my cars are older than snot and worn to pieces by poor maintenance.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah as far as i could tell they've never been apart. It's an 02 and aside from a pretty dented up body seems to be in alright shape. And someone did put in a catless uppipe at some point.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

jamal posted:

The nice thing is I'm getting paid a little and all the bolts came out easily. But the trans stuck to the block and took a lot of hammering and prying. Have never had one that hard to get apart before.

Loosen all the bolts about 10mm and stomp the clutch!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Aww the bombs keep droppin, this time I'm broken down with dead steering 400 miles from home! This car is AWFUL.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
I tried to reregister my Forester online and it kept saying my info was wrong. I chalked it up to a server issue, called the hotline the next day.

PennDOT has my tag listed as dead. They told me I had mailed in my tag or sent them a letter to report it as lost or stolen, and tried to say I WAS INCORRECT when Itold them the tag was on my vehicle, and that my car had not been stolen. They eventually admitted it was an error. The business days to TRY to fix it, and they will not call if they have trouble. Assholes.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 22, 2017

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Midjack posted:

Aww the bombs keep droppin, this time I'm broken down with dead steering 400 miles from home! This car is AWFUL.

Did the belt just break? They're like $12 and take 2 minutes to change.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

jamal posted:

Did the belt just break? They're like $12 and take 2 minutes to change.

Pump died because when they replaced the one that broke last week they didn't tighten the pulley fastener so it spun out the pump. This is the fourth issue, and third deadline in the last year at three different shops, caused by improper tightening of a fastener. I need to leave a torque wrench in the front seat and demand that gets used on everything.

To be fair most of the problem have been dumbass shops but the car is a maintenance hog and if it went to the shop less it would have fewer chances to not tighten fasteners.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Got a 2018 Forester recently. Wicked nice and roomy, totally love it.

Any recommended accessories?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

BoyBlunder posted:

Got a 2018 Forester recently. Wicked nice and roomy, totally love it.

Any recommended accessories?

WeatherTech mats and a good dog hammock. Plus a dog if you lack that. Better tires, too, if you can swing that.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I know a guy who can get you some weathertechs.

There's a flasher module you can get that will blink the signal a few times automatically. That bugs me when gms have done that for a decade.

And the plastic is kind of rattely. I think some sort of a fabric/suede pad in a few places would really help, like around the rear seatbelts.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
...what, you mean, flash your turn signals as you change lanes?

Christ, if you only start to signal AS you change lanes and not BEFORE, you are signalling too late!

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

He just means a module that lets you bump the signal and it'll flash five times or whatever.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Tap-to-turn indicators.

I get asked the accessory question a lot since I'm "the car guy" amongst my family and friends. The answer always seems to circle some form of "it depends on how much you want to spend". I nearly always recommend some sort of paint protection since paint is so incredibly soft on modern cars. Opticoat or other ceramic coating and a clear bra film for the front and other high contact surfaces of the car. I recommend some sort of rust protection for the underside of the car. Fluid Film is a temporary annual coating or you can go hog wild with a rubberized coating which is permanent and has the added benefit of damping road noise. These are long term investments that will help protect the value of the vehicle. If you're going to spend tens of thousands of dollars, why wouldn't you spend a few hundred protecting it? It baffles me more people don't do this.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Unless it's a sought after sports car, there is no value to protect. A car is a wear item and will never again be worth enough to recover your investment. If you just want to baby your ride and keep it looking nice that's fine, but don't go in thinking you're going to make money off it.

(though as a rust belt inhabitant I think undercarriage protection is always a giant waste of money, the car is either going to rust or not regardless of what coatings you add)

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hugh G. Rectum posted:

He just means a module that lets you bump the signal and it'll flash five times or whatever.

Oh THAT thing. loving hated it when my dealer lent me an Outback while they were looking into my Impreza's steering. I'm like, "wait, I changed my mind, I don't want to change lanes, how do I get this stupid thing to stop?!"

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh THAT thing. loving hated it when my dealer lent me an Outback while they were looking into my Impreza's steering. I'm like, "wait, I changed my mind, I don't want to change lanes, how do I get this stupid thing to stop?!"

Yeah I don't really get it either. I mean turn signal controls are extremely ergonomic already, you just slightly shift your hand from the wheel and bump it up and then back down.

But apparently this is a gargantuan effort because most people don't do it at all :smith:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's a curious piece of innovation on a control that 90% of the driving populace ignores all together.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

jamal posted:

I know a guy who can get you some weathertechs.

There's a flasher module you can get that will blink the signal a few times automatically. That bugs me when gms have done that for a decade.

And the plastic is kind of rattely. I think some sort of a fabric/suede pad in a few places would really help, like around the rear seatbelts.

The Forester does the short blinking series with a single tap already.

I hate that choosing the automatic head lights also mandates the automatic high beams. When I click the switch forward, I want to have loving high beams, not to have submitted a timid request to the car to give me high beams when it feels like it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

When we got our crosstrek I turned the headlights to the on position and haven't touched that dial since.

The auto headlights seems like a good idea that ends up not being necessary.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Oh. The 15 I drive occasionally doesn't. Kind of bugs me because it's something i expect on a new car. No auto high beams then either. Another weird thing is that the "headlights are on" display uses the parking lights symbol.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Auto high beams are dumb as gently caress. NO I DONT WANT IT OFF NOW gently caress YOU CAR

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Yeah idk some things just dont need to be automated

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

underage at the vape shop posted:

Yeah idk some things just dont need to be automated

It's not totally unnecessary -- every time I drive to work at 9 PM, I see at least one car running without headlights (who doesn't understand my high-beam flashing means "turn on your loving lights") and at least one running with high beams (who doesn't understand my high-beam flashing means "turn off your loving high beams"). People like this need set-it-and-forget-it automotive engineering. Hell, my friend's mother has had her car for a couple of years and still doesn't know how to turn the headlights on and off, so thankfully it's automated.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Did a bunch of garbage to the FXT today. Two new oil control valves and an STi intercooler. Those OCV’s are a right pain in the rear end. And the STi intercooler is so big it’s really fiddly to get in position but I got it to work. Flipped the red coupler for the turbo but might still order a Samco piece.

Comparison of old and new intercoolers

Installed

Shiny bit is the OCV. Was getting P0021 and P0011 codes. With 211k miles it was time to replace them.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did you replace the air scoop as well? If you kept the original one it still blocks off quite a bit of flow to the TMIC, IIRC. I remember doing this on my Saabaru when I replaced it with an STi TMIC but maybe it's not true of all of them. :iiam:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Larrymer posted:

Did you replace the air scoop as well? If you kept the original one it still blocks off quite a bit of flow to the TMIC, IIRC. I remember doing this on my Saabaru when I replaced it with an STi TMIC but maybe it's not true of all of them. :iiam:

No not yet. When I hopefully upgrade to a VF39 in spring or if I find a really cheap one. In winter it should be fine, and even in warmer temps it shouldn’t be appreciably different than the stock one. This is more of a pre-mod mod. I got it for much cheaper than any of the other STi IC’s I was looking at by a margin of hundreds of dollars so I jumped on it.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Did a bunch of garbage to the FXT today. Two new oil control valves and an STi intercooler. Those OCV’s are a right pain in the rear end. And the STi intercooler is so big it’s really fiddly to get in position but I got it to work. Flipped the red coupler for the turbo but might still order a Samco piece.
Nice FXT buddy:boom:

Knocked off a three pack of things today on my FXT. Swapped up-pipe, installed passenger Group-N mount, and turbo oil drain line.

Replaced catted up-pipe with 2004 STi un-catted, that I had ceramic coated. I also got the spare header ceramic coated as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/sockington/fozz/C012D9B5-461C-4896-9411-B09DAA2D64E0_zpsqdfzzuko.jpg

The original oil drain line was so hard it was like solid plastic air hose. Also found a cracked vacuum line on the wastegate line and replaced that too.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sockington posted:

Nice FXT buddy:boom:

Knocked off a three pack of things today on my FXT. Swapped up-pipe, installed passenger Group-N mount, and turbo oil drain line.

Replaced catted up-pipe with 2004 STi un-catted, that I had ceramic coated. I also got the spare header ceramic coated as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/sockington/fozz/C012D9B5-461C-4896-9411-B09DAA2D64E0_zpsqdfzzuko.jpg

The original oil drain line was so hard it was like solid plastic air hose. Also found a cracked vacuum line on the wastegate line and replaced that too.

Is your FXT manual or auto? I had a heck of a time finding a manual one. It needed brakes when I bought it and I’ve been doing light mods since then as well. The OCVs, o2 sensors and one ball joint are all I’ve put in as far as maintenance. I actually think it’s more fun than the WRX. I also bought 2011 WRX wheels for when spring time rolls around.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Is your FXT manual or auto? I had a heck of a time finding a manual one. It needed brakes when I bought it and I’ve been doing light mods since then as well. The OCVs, o2 sensors and one ball joint are all I’ve put in as far as maintenance. I actually think it’s more fun than the WRX. I also bought 2011 WRX wheels for when spring time rolls around.

I love that body style, I think it might be my favorite Subie. Isn't that generation of FXT slightly faster than the contemporaneous WRX, too?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Mine is auto for the wife to drive in a pinch. Mine has a few modifications, but 99% suspension.

Koni inserts inside Impreza wagon struts
Whiteline Com-C upper strut mounts
STi springs
Whiteline anti-lift kit
Whiteline bumpsteer and roll centre kit
Group N engine mounts
Catless up-pipe
Removed from subframe spacers and changed out steering coupler for Impreza

My friends have titled it "ElmLow" for the ride height and colour :shobon:

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

tetrapyloctomy posted:

I love that body style, I think it might be my favorite Subie. Isn't that generation of FXT slightly faster than the contemporaneous WRX, too?

Might be due to the final drive being higher.

Also it's good to see sock posting. :3:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Sockington posted:

Mine is auto for the wife to drive in a pinch. Mine has a few modifications, but 99% suspension.

Koni inserts inside Impreza wagon struts
Whiteline Com-C upper strut mounts
STi springs
Whiteline anti-lift kit
Whiteline bumpsteer and roll centre kit
Group N engine mounts
Catless up-pipe
Removed from subframe spacers and changed out steering coupler for Impreza

My friends have titled it "ElmLow" for the ride height and colour :shobon:

My wife specifically didn’t want an auto. She didn’t want a silver one either but manual was more important and this one is so nice we even went out of state for it; it’s an 05 Limited so it it has leather, heated seats and windshield, and the massive sunroof. Suspension is stock currently but I might go for a stock wrx setup to drop it an inch when the time comes to replace everything. I’d also like to do an STi uppipe but I’m at my current limit for patience for a while. Current mods are 3” catted turbo-back, Perrin short ram Intake, Cobb AP and STi intercooler.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Like mentioned above, I think the 4.44 gears have something to do with that, and it makes more torque than the WRX as well due to being the 2.5 instead of the 2.0. But another part of it is that the FXT looks so big but is fairly light. It’s in between the WRX and STi in weight. I also prefer this generation to the facelift they got in ‘06 - mostly its the headlights and grill.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Dec 24, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Like mentioned above, I think the 4.44 gears have something to do with that, and it makes more torque than the WRX as well due to being the 2.5 instead of the 2.0. But another part of it is that the FXT looks so big but is fairly light. It’s in between the WRX and STi in weight. I also prefer this generation to the facelift they got in ‘06 - mostly its the headlights and grill.

Confirmed - 4.444 final drive, it's actually not any bigger than the 1st gen Forester (and they didnt add too much weight... no really the 1st and 2nd Gen are basically the same shell), the 2.5 had more hp and a LOT more torque, plus shorter gearing 1st and 2nd. One day soon I'll driveline swap my 1st gen Forester

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

What's the go to recommendation for WRX tires? Daily driver, so cal so like 95% dry conditions. Was thinking hankook v12s but is there better for the price or something worth paying more for? I