Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My auntie lived on the edge of some protected lake and she had an incinerator toilet because they couldn't/wouldn't run full plumbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

peanut posted:

My auntie lived on the edge of some protected lake and she had an incinerator toilet because they couldn't/wouldn't run full plumbing.

There I was, quietly taking a poo poo...

<lights go out>

<Undertaker gong sounds>

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

D34THROW posted:

Exactly, I just don't understand why you wouldn't, when possible, install something like that to facilitate inevitable replacement of such things.

Because it looks like poo poo.
I'd rather just pay $20 in drywall and paint for fixing the wall if my fittings fail every 20 years.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

FCKGW posted:

Because it looks like poo poo.
I'd rather just pay $20 in drywall and paint for fixing the wall if my fittings fail every 20 years.

And isn't the most common repair on some of them (Moen?) a cartridge you install through the valve handle itself?

We have a shower on the back wall of our house, and there is a little plumbing access panel for the valves on the exterior wall. It's ugly.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

peanut posted:

I prefer "turd burner".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

apparently from ~2000 to 2003, american hot water heater co. and whirlpool sold models of gas hot water heaters with the wonderful feature of reverse threads on the fitting where the thermocouple screws into the controller. I cannot imagine why any engineer thought that was necessary.

I found out by tryign to replace mine, and the replacement kit (of which Lowes had one, torn open but apparently intact) was supposed to come with an adapter with reverse threads on one side and regular on the other, along with the regular-threaded thermocouple provided, but guess which part was missing when I got it home.

In the grand scheme of things this is very very small obviously but I really can't fathom why anyone thought a reverse threaded fitting was necessary for holding in place a copper tube with an insulated copper wire inside of it.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

H110Hawk posted:

And isn't the most common repair on some of them (Moen?) a cartridge you install through the valve handle itself?

We have a shower on the back wall of our house, and there is a little plumbing access panel for the valves on the exterior wall. It's ugly.

I recently noticed something interesting at my mother's house. The sink, toilet, and shower line up against the same wall. Usually the plumbing for all three will share the same wall but not here. The sink and toilet are against an exterior wall while the shower plumbing is on the opposite wall of the bathroom. If you need to get in there it would be through the bedroom drywall.

Now I'm noticing something similar at every hotel and apartment I'm in. Access to the shower is through a wall in the same apartment, not the neighbors or hallway.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

H110Hawk posted:

Yup, just had a Moen shower cartridge fail and it was a straightforward replacement. Pull the handle, undo the trim, remove a clip, remove the cartridge, installation is the reverse of removal, remove handle and spin upside down when you inevitably gently caress up the orientation the first time.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
High rise apartment foundation is just dirt, trash and some concrete

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c03_1513667038

:nws: cause liveleak.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Lime Tonics posted:

:aaa:

That is ... something special.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

:stonk:

How long until that thing just completely topples over?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Buff Skeleton posted:

How long until that thing just completely topples over?
If I was the person with the camera I wouldn't be standing that close.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
https://i.imgur.com/01WHuYi.mp4

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Slugworth posted:

Ehhhhh, if it's in a closet or something, go for it. Otherwise, an access panel is a bit of an eyesore.
Gonna build a house entirely out of access panels.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The classic "make the new guy break his foot" prank.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I swear I remember hearing about some product that was a replacement for drywall, where you could just remove the top/bottom trim and then pop the entire panel off to access the studs/interior. Presumably it had some kind of hook- or tab-based installation onto mounting hardware that was secured to the studs. I don't know how it handled seams between panels, but it might be a reasonable replacement for a wall that you expect to need to open again in the future.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Yawgmoth posted:

When you think about it, a door is just a large access panel.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

The Twinkie Czar posted:

I recently noticed something interesting at my mother's house. The sink, toilet, and shower line up against the same wall. Usually the plumbing for all three will share the same wall but not here. The sink and toilet are against an exterior wall while the shower plumbing is on the opposite wall of the bathroom. If you need to get in there it would be through the bedroom drywall.

Now I'm noticing something similar at every hotel and apartment I'm in. Access to the shower is through a wall in the same apartment, not the neighbors or hallway.

Supply pipes aren't ran through exterior walls in places where it freezes during the winter. Now you can have fixtures against that wall, it's just that they're supplied through the floor, or through a side wall and hidden inside a cabinet.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I swear I remember hearing about some product that was a replacement for drywall, where you could just remove the top/bottom trim and then pop the entire panel off to access the studs/interior. Presumably it had some kind of hook- or tab-based installation onto mounting hardware that was secured to the studs. I don't know how it handled seams between panels, but it might be a reasonable replacement for a wall that you expect to need to open again in the future.

The solution is to simply wood panel all your walls, that way you can easily hide the seams in the paneling and have easy to access sections removable all over the house to reach various plumbing/wiring points.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Yawgmoth posted:

Gonna build a house entirely out of access panels
With four ways in and no way out
But mine the glory, mine the power

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Ashcans posted:

The solution is to simply wood panel all your walls, that way you can easily hide the seams in the paneling and have easy to access sections removable all over the house to reach various plumbing/wiring points.

I guess that would work, except for the bathrooms/kitchen. But so long as your plumbing is all on internal walls that can be accessed from the other side, it should be fine.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Ashcans posted:

Yes, but then you have to have wood paneling.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

:cripes:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

What was the order of operations here? Did they install a barn door, realize it was crap for sound control, and then install the glass door? Or was the glass door there first, and the barn door is purely ornamental?

Mister Dog
Dec 27, 2005

Facebook Aunt posted:

What was the order of operations here? Did they install a barn door, realize it was crap for sound control, and then install the glass door? Or was the glass door there first, and the barn door is purely ornamental?

Yes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

First off, the horse bolted.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

This is probably still crap construction, but: large buildings like that don't necessarily rest on the exterior wall. They'll have huge steel or reinforced concrete pillars going into the ground somewhere internal of there. That poo poo falling apart could just be cosmetic concrete... and of course there's garbage in the crawlspace.

There's no way the building would be standing at all without reinforced concrete and/or steel supports going into the ground somewhere. What we see in the video is unreinforced concrete maybe two inches thick. It may not be load-bearing at all.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I cannot wait until this fad is over. These are the worst doors ever (even if this one were functional)

Facebook Aunt posted:

Given the card reader and the fact the track wouldn't allow it to cover the full opening, I imagine it was purely ornamental.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Leperflesh posted:

This is probably still crap construction, but: large buildings like that don't necessarily rest on the exterior wall. They'll have huge steel or reinforced concrete pillars going into the ground somewhere internal of there. That poo poo falling apart could just be cosmetic concrete... and of course there's garbage in the crawlspace.

There's no way the building would be standing at all without reinforced concrete and/or steel supports going into the ground somewhere. What we see in the video is unreinforced concrete maybe two inches thick. It may not be load-bearing at all.

Entire apartment blocks just tipping over because of lovely foundations and lovely geotech is not uncommon in china.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Well they aren't called apart-ments for nothing.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If you don't know anything about roofing, you should watch this:

https://youtu.be/xw5n-5uoGbU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

devicenull posted:

I cannot wait until this fad is over. These are the worst doors ever (even if this one were functional)

Given the card reader and the fact the track wouldn't allow it to cover the full opening, I imagine it was purely ornamental.
I actually like them, but there's no way they'll be popular 3 years from now, so I'm abstaining.

As for this one, my guess is it's currently covering like, a closet door or something. The crappy construction being that it looks horribly out of place, and when open would interfere with the other door. My only doubt regarding this interpretation is I don't know if it would clear that door handle.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Slugworth posted:

I actually like them, but there's no way they'll be popular 3 years from now, so I'm abstaining.

As for this one, my guess is it's currently covering like, a closet door or something. The crappy construction being that it looks horribly out of place, and when open would interfere with the other door. My only doubt regarding this interpretation is I don't know if it would clear that door handle.

it definitely wont clear the pneumatic closer on the top

also you can see the baseboards continue below the door, it literally does nothing as far as i can tell

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

no, this a good improvisation

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh my god, I think I’d genuinely like most of those settings.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Probably works better than my shower head

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What is it?