Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Disproportionation posted:

Of course, I'm not saying games can't or shouldn't tackle serious stuff - I just have objections to using mature themes as ammunition for marketing purposes.

I think the reason i dislike David Cage games so much is because of how shallow their "maturity" is. People have talked about it a lot in this thread already, of course. But it's sort of similar to my reaction to Bioshock Infinite: when something so utterly facile is held up as the mythical "mature, grown-up game that will finally make people see that games can be art," it undermines the whole enterprise. There are games that tackle mature themes in a mature and well-considered way, and there have been for decades now. One of the examples I like to point to is Final Fantasy VI, which, in the middle of its (admittedly disjointed) save-the-world plot, does a really good job of depicting and discussing grief and how people deal with it.

It's just, well, David Cage isn't doing that. Like you pointed out, his "mature themes" are all for appearances and marketing. He wants to look serious without having to do the work. I think games media falls for it every time, too, and it distracts from games that really are working with mature and serious themes and creating something actually interesting. That's why I resent his games even though I learned a while ago that I don't like actually playing them.

God, all of this is giving me Indigo Prophecy flashbacks now.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lornekates
Oct 3, 2014

Web Developer for phelous.com dot com.

Leal posted:

I play grand theft auto and shoot a bunch of cops what does that mean

It means those cops didn't play enough video games, or they'd have gitten good at not being shot. noobs.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bakeneko posted:

This is an important point. People aren’t just monkeys mindlessly copying what they see; in most cases they seek out this sort of thing in their fiction because they know it’s not appropriate in real life.

Yeah, I played GTA 3 when it first came out at the whopping age of 10. My mom's coworker mentioned the prostitution stuff in that game to my mom and my mom flat out responded "Leal knows the difference between video games and real life". And I mean, last I checked I haven't picked up a prostitute in my car. I never obeyed stop signs and red lights in the game but I still do irl!

People who see a thing in a game and aren't literal children and go out to do those things aren't right in the head and would probably do something terrible even without the games. My nephew is 3 and when we play he likes to try and do the Raiden shock grab on me and goes "Fatality!" in as deep of a voice he can muster. I'm sure in 5 years he isn't going to try and rip out his classmate's heart cause he saw it on a video game. Or maybe he will, I dunno what kids these days do.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
again literally no one is claiming that if you play GTA you're just gonna go out with an AK-47 and clean the streets.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Leal posted:

Yeah, I played GTA 3 when it first came out at the whopping age of 10. My mom's coworker mentioned the prostitution stuff in that game to my mom and my mom flat out responded "Leal knows the difference between video games and real life". And I mean, last I checked I haven't picked up a prostitute in my car. I never obeyed stop signs and red lights in the game but I still do irl!

People who see a thing in a game and aren't literal children and go out to do those things aren't right in the head and would probably do something terrible even without the games. My nephew is 3 and when we play he likes to try and do the Raiden shock grab on me and goes "Fatality!" in as deep of a voice he can muster. I'm sure in 5 years he isn't going to try and rip out his classmate's heart cause he saw it on a video game. Or maybe he will, I dunno what kids these days do.

Lol at the belief only children are effected by the media they consume.

Like do you believe commercials don't work as well.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

They don't work on me! I'm too smart and logical, unlike the masses. Now excuse me while I go watch my weekly episode of South Park. Can't wait to get my Star Wars Retired Like Skywalker funko pops.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Whats a commercial, I don't watch tv and I use adblockers.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Here's the thing, art can be propaganda but that doesn't mean that all art is propaganda. For example, a Colgate ad is actively trying to introduce you to ideas about real-life phenomena that at a very indirect and abstract level can influence your future decision-making (but most of the time it's just going to help you recognize the product or brand). It does so not by coincidence but by intent.

Doom 2016 by comparison is not really trying to introduce any ideas beyond what you yourself may interpret from the art itself. If we go all death of the author then Doom actually has very little to say about its main content (violence). What it does have however instead is a lot of thinly veiled criticisms of of idea systems and real-world concepts like authoritarianism, progressivism, capitalism, resource exploitation and climate change which the tentative interpreter may interpret while consuming the content if they're familiar with them. These are things which Doom might actually effect your own belief systems on. What Doom however is not actually trying to sell is violence and nor is it trying to coax you into engaging in violence. Any such conclusions are drawn not by intent but rather by coincidence as such meaning must be derived from your own unique perspective.

Marketing is effective because it's tailored to achieve very specific and narrow goals.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Dec 19, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

MiddleOne posted:

Here's the thing, art can be propaganda but that doesn't mean that all art is propaganda. For example, a Colgate ad is actively trying to introduce you to ideas about real-life phenomena that at a very indirect and abstract level can influence your future decision-making (but most of the time it's just going to help you recognize the product or brand). It does so not by coincidence but by intent.

Doom 2016 by comparison is not really trying to introduce any ideas beyond what you yourself may interpret from the art itself. If we go all death of the author then Doom actually has very little to say about its main content (violence). What it does have however instead is a lot of thinly veiled criticisms of of idea systems and real-world concepts like authoritarianism, progressivism, capitalism, resource exploitation and climate change which the tentative interpreter may interpret while consuming the content if they're familiar with them. These are things which Doom might actually effect your own belief systems on. What Doom however is not actually trying to sell is violence and nor is it trying to coax you into engaging in violence. Any such conclusions are drawn not by intent but rather by coincidence as such meaning must be derived from your own unique perspective.

Marketing is effective because it's tailored to achieve very specific and narrow goals.

What does this have to do with anything.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I feel like commercials abandoned the concept of concept of trying to entice people or make them feel inferior to sell a product a while ago. A lot of ads just seem like they're shooting to be the most obnoxious thing possible.

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

What's going on lmao

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Anyone watch the HITB for Last Jedi?

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Kim Justice posted:

What's going on lmao

I don't know, but here's a follow-up on that Phil Greaves 'everything is fascist' guy.

https://twitter.com/PhilGreaves01/status/942723080895516672

https://twitter.com/RealmOfJimmy/status/943267596060844032

Plus, an observation on the reception to Last Jedi:

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

achillesforever6 posted:

Anyone watch the HITB for Last Jedi?

It's kind of amazing how much of the movie they already forgot and then critique the movie for not doing, or for doing something they recalled incorrectly.

I'm especially perplexed by them saying they felt the movie was more like the end of a trilogy than the middle entry. Like, did they miss the whole ending bit where they barely escape from the clutches of the First Order with only a couple dozen Resistance people?

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Jay's take that the movie should have gone with Kylo and Rey joining together and just kinda turning off the war machine and then the next movie is about the Space Nazis reintegrating is god awful

This is the one thing that will keep me from being a true leftist, my inability to not get upset that the things I enjoy may be a little fashy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheMaestroso posted:

It's kind of amazing how much of the movie they already forgot and then critique the movie for not doing, or for doing something they recalled incorrectly.

I'm especially perplexed by them saying they felt the movie was more like the end of a trilogy than the middle entry. Like, did they miss the whole ending bit where they barely escape from the clutches of the First Order with only a couple dozen Resistance people?

If it hasn't been abundantly clear since like around this time last year, Mike, Jay, and Rich are clearly done giving anything resembling an actual poo poo about Star Wars and people are just not getting the loving message because the average Star Wars fan is dumber than a stack of chipped bricks.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

If it hasn't been abundantly clear since like around this time last year, Mike, Jay, and Rich are clearly done giving anything resembling an actual poo poo about Star Wars and people are just not getting the loving message because the average Star Wars fan is dumber than a stack of chipped bricks.

It's bizarre how they pine for the messy honesty and auteur weirdness of the prequels, especially considering how weird, relatively speaking, this one was--which they point out when they're talking about the movies. I wonder if it's just because they're older now and have lost their hate along with their 20s or if they have just forgotten what it felt like for them to watch and have to talk about the prequels.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

Also poor Joe getting dragged for his dumb videos on why he had problems with TLJ
https://twitter.com/vagrunt/status/943168125046018053

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

sexpig by night posted:

again literally no one is claiming that if you play GTA you're just gonna go out with an AK-47 and clean the streets.

It's me. I'm the guy who went on a shooting rampage because of too much GTA.

Actually, I did once spend several days glued to Vice City. Then when I left the house to buy some groceries I caught myself driving really, bizarrely aggressively, when I'm normally an incredibly defensive driver. I got super pissed off at having to stop for a red light, then went "WTF am I doing?!" and calmed down. It only lasted a few minutes total, but being inundated with the driving in that game for several days straight definitely affected my driving IRL if only briefly.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

Also poor Joe getting dragged for his dumb videos on why he had problems with TLJ

Joe, buddy, if you wanna write for IGN, just send 'em a resume and demo reel already. I bet they'd love to have you.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

Jay's take that the movie should have gone with Kylo and Rey joining together and just kinda turning off the war machine and then the next movie is about the Space Nazis reintegrating is god awful

This is the one thing that will keep me from being a true leftist, my inability to not get upset that the things I enjoy may be a little fashy

That sounds cool I wish they went with that idea.

Yeah having seen the HITB I have to agree with them.

I don't always do but they hit the nail on the head about the issues Star Wars has.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

achillesforever6 posted:

It would make for an interesting movie but as it doesn't facilitate a climax where two people wave at each other with glow-sticks it's not Star Wars enough.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

achillesforever6 posted:

Joe is the physical avatar of "I bought all this garbage that is now cluttering my house but Thing didn't deliver the exact arcane combination of things needed to tickle my splankion ganglia, and now I am resentful of the artefacts I have filled my house with, they remind me of my folly and mock me."

I used to enjoy the sort of sympathetic energy I'd get from watching him be amped to 11 about everything, but then I realized the reasons he ever likes (or hates) anything are all shallow AF. The man engages with media as pure id.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like Joe and respect him a bunch but goddamn his movie opinions a bad.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I liked his Suicide Squad review cause it starts with him saying "Whats wrong with critics that was an awesome movie!" and the entire comments section was "Whats wrong with you Joe?"

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

FoldableHuman posted:

Joe is the physical avatar of "I bought all this garbage that is now cluttering my house but Thing didn't deliver the exact arcane combination of things needed to tickle my splankion ganglia, and now I am resentful of the artefacts I have filled my house with, they remind me of my folly and mock me."

I used to enjoy the sort of sympathetic energy I'd get from watching him be amped to 11 about everything, but then I realized the reasons he ever likes (or hates) anything are all shallow AF. The man engages with media as pure id.

One of the only things I ever watched with him in it, and one the of the last things I ever watched with Doug in it was their crossover review of Man of Steel. They each devil’s advocated a pro/con perspective on the film. Doug hated, Joe loved it. And all of Joe’s arguments in favour of MoS were fantastically shallow, basically amounting to “I liked this movie because Superman was in it, and I really like Superman.” Meanwhile, Doug made strong and cogent (...for Doug) arguments about why Man of Steel was actually garbage because it’s storytelling, morality, and basic treatment of Superman were all tonally wrong from the getgo.

I admire Joe’s heart and enthusiasm greatly, but he is not a very smart man...

Spark That Bled
Jan 29, 2010

Hungry for responsibility. Horny for teamwork.

And ready to
BUST A NUT
up in this job!

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP
And there was the bits where General Zod said he'd kill Doug if he said he liked the movie.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This 40 minute breakdown of Book of Henry is simply fantastic, and I'm not even halfway through it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMb7-6eg4Zo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Book of Henry is destined some eternal fame simply because it got a guy fired from directing a Star Wars movie that he had already been working on. I wish I could see the movie he would have made, as this recent one tells me Disney would have given him the freedom to go bonkers.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

achillesforever6 posted:

I honestly thought he was doing a joke bit where his improvement was going to end up describing the federation and just changing it all to Star Trek.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I figured it was a joke on how that proposal sound like it would have had a lot of the boring political crap that was so reviled in the prequels.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yvonmukluk posted:

I figured it was a joke on how that proposal sound like it would have had a lot of the boring political crap that was so reviled in the prequels.

The politics wasn't bad because it was boring it was bad because it was half assed.

It was a lot more interesting than anything in TLJ.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

The Book of Henry runthrough is somehow everything I wanted and sooooo much more :allears:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

The Book of Henry runthrough is somehow everything I wanted and sooooo much more :allears:

loving :yossame:

Like, holy poo poo, hearing the plot all laid out just end to end is...:magical:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Henry is a dick.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

All I want at this point is a place to talk about Star Wars without having to be called a SJW fag for liking Last Jedi.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

BigRed0427 posted:

All I want at this point is a place to talk about Star Wars without having to be called a SJW fag for liking Last Jedi.

May I suggest CineD?

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Same, DM me so I can gush about the movie in a controlled environment

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Theres an unironic star wars liking thread in gbs, red-letter media was ambivalent about the movie but all opinions are okay in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

The Last Jedi was the bee's knees and although there is plenty of decent criticism of it, there is also way too much weird crazy poo poo from maniacs. People are complaining because Laura Dern has purple hair in a film series where the entire first act of one of the better entries had the heroes try to rescue their friend from a Slug Gangster who tried to throw them all into a giant mouth in the desert.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 21, 2017

• Locked thread