Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

I thought extella was boring as poo poo for the playing part. Felt like functions: musou

The characters’ movesets could have used a little more impact. Karna in particular felt weirdly underwhelming. Alex was probably the best for actually feeling powerful. Compare it to, say, Berserk Musou, for all its flaws, and you can really see what Omega Force gets right and other devs don’t. Characters like Wyald are goddamn masterworks of animation.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Policenaut posted:

Sengoku BASARA 3 was really good and probably the only non-TK Musou I've ever enjoyed.

I always put Basara in its own camp, but that's an arbitrary personal thing. They always felt different from Musou games, just because of their smaller maps and focus on flashiness.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I may just be a huge mark for Kamen Rider, but I really liked Battride War Genesis. Kamen Rider X was surprisingly pretty fun to play as, due to his psuedo-weapon-change gimmick with the Ridol. Drive Type: Wild and Den-O Liner Form were both hilariously broken, though; they both had "spin around with an outstretched sword" attacks that utterly destroyed crowds and racked up huge combos, making all of the areas where they lock you in and force you to kill a certain number of mooks basically effortless (Drive's was the best because you could move around while doing it; if you did the attack for too long with Liner Form Ryotaro would get dizzy and pratfall over.)

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I hope the combat overhaul makes up for the back-to-basics weapon roster in DW9, because the weapons shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ-gPN4JNd8 look sorta dull. A big part of the charm of the DW series for me has always been seeing the big dumb ancient Chinese miniguns and orb wizards.

edit: Glad they kept the Chinese samurai guy, though. Also, the true lord Pang Tong is safe, and I hope Xingcai still has her ridiculous baseball swing move.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 20, 2017

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Wow, Xu Zhu somehow looks even dumber than usual.
I guess that's the idea.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jack Trades posted:

Wow, Xu Zhu somehow looks even dumber than usual.
I guess that's the idea.

Dong Zhuo losing his bombs is such a tragedy, they were so perfectly Wario.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's a shame that they're cutting down on the weapon variety so much but IMO if the new combat system is actually good then it'll be worth it in the end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As someone who's been playing through DW8XL's campaign, if I ever have to play as any of these poo poo tier late stage Shu/Wu movesets then it'll be too soon.

Very few of these new characters have weapons with movesets that I actually enjoy and I end up slapping a Halberd or something on them because my God if I have to play as one of Guan Yu's shitkids again I'm gonna end it all. Wei has some okay ones and I've always liked everyone from Jin, but there are so many newcomers with weapon gimmicks that I despise. Burn it all, start over.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

7 is still my favorite and it had weapon variety like this so i'm not too bothered by it

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Policenaut posted:

As someone who's been playing through DW8XL's campaign, if I ever have to play as any of these poo poo tier late stage Shu/Wu movesets then it'll be too soon.

Very few of these new characters have weapons with movesets that I actually enjoy and I end up slapping a Halberd or something on them because my God if I have to play as one of Guan Yu's shitkids again I'm gonna end it all. Wei has some okay ones and I've always liked everyone from Jin, but there are so many newcomers with weapon gimmicks that I despise. Burn it all, start over.

I remember liking Guan Yinping, but that might just be due to the fact that one of her special moves is to just reach into the ground, rip out huge boulder, and toss it at the enemy. As for the rest of Guan Yu's kids, I can't remember anything about them. I had to look them up to remember who was who, and the only other one I sort of remember liking was Guan Xing's wingblades.

I thought that the absolute weapon/moveset was Lianshi's crossbow.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:

Max Wilco posted:

It's got to be Zhu Ran's flame bow. Lianshi's weapon is kind of good in WO3 if you can set it up, if I can recall correctly, but the flame bow is just a chore to use.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

The Flame Bow and Wingblades were both utterly terrible weapons that deserve whatever death KT gives them.

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015
Yeah this seems like DW7 all over again. We'll be rained on by DLC giving everyone back their standard movesets and all that.

Most of the super gimmicky weapons were crap to me too. I actually didn't mind the Crossbow too much. The Flamebow would have been interesting if the series weren't super about horde-control.

I could definitely do without the wheel halberd, wingblades, etc. It seems whenever they tried to find a compromise between realistic and fantastical, they got something kinda crap, but either other direction is fine. Generic Spear? Pretty good. Generic sword? This works. Scroll that summons phantom soldiers to fight for you? Awesome. Ancient Chinese Minigun? Swell.

A spear that is motorized and shoots lightning? Meh.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I have a serious question that I've started asking in relation to another game but was curious what people here would have to say about it. What would Dynasty Warriors be like if they kept all the usual gameplay but you only had weapons that only could hit 1 enemy per swing in any combo and no musous, and nothing else changed?

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
Unplayable

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
Is this some sort of trick question :psyduck:

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Lunethex posted:

I have a serious question that I've started asking in relation to another game but was curious what people here would have to say about it. What would Dynasty Warriors be like if they kept all the usual gameplay but you only had weapons that only could hit 1 enemy per swing in any combo and no musous, and nothing else changed?

They already made Mount and Blade???

NameHurtBrain
Jan 17, 2015

NameHurtBrain posted:

would have been interesting if the series weren't super about horde-control.

It would be really hard to make work. Most enemies would need to go down in a hit. This only happens as is when you're overleveled or overtwinked for what you're fighting as is.

You'd fundamentally basically change what the game was about. The comparison that pops into my head is you'd be, I dunno, putting Bond from Goldeneye on the N64 into a Serious Sam situation. Even the biggest weapons in Goldeneye aren't really meant for mowing down hordes - they're meant to fight off at most 3 or 4 enemies at a time.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

A death sentence? An average foot soldier simulator?

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

In Vermintide I regularly call certain weapons poo poo because they can't hit more than 1 enemy per swing. They try to make up for it by being ~ninja fast~ but they just suck bad, and Vermintide is the kind of game where every single enemy is a serious threat that needs to die and they are Skaven so of course they bunch up to smash you. If you aren't hitting as much as possible you're basically doomed or just not doing as well as you could. To this end I've just been saying "man, imagine playing Dynasty Warriors with that kind of thing. Not only would it be unplayable, it'd be boring."

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Lunethex posted:

Problematic. That's....DW3/4, but as though your range stat were zeroed. You'd have problems in cases of crowds, which are always a thing. There'd be a lot of times where your weapon would be hitting the wrong thing(Remember all units spawn with a bodyguard of privates, and officers have higher units, so it's always at least five on one).

No Musou would also mean no invincibility, which is a real problem for a game that is 3D Final Fight/Streets of Rage. Sometimes you NEED the get-out-option, where blocking isn't enough and in case where you're surrounded(Which is all the time because again, it's always at least five-on-one so someone's bound to eventually hit you in the back).

You'd really NEED better movement, and dodge-rolls haven't been a thing in the mainline games as yet, though the side games have had some. (The Dash trait of 8/8Empires is forward motion. The Dive backstep is more what you'd want so you can keep everyone in front. Whirlwind becomes even more useful, as the pulse of damage is 360 degrees.)

It's not necessqarily impossible, but even DW5XL's Destiny mode(I think), where you started as a private and barely able to do a two-hit string, had you able to earn a Musou gauge fairly quickly. You were also pretty much required to stick to your unit commander like a sponge, as he or she would provide healing and buffs to you. Also enemies were toned right down from the standard.

quote:

There's a trick to the Crossbow the game never tells you. Using any charge attack past C2, including her EX, turns her normal attacks into a large spread with added fire damage for about 5 seconds. You want to use and abuse this for best results.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Who was the Wei guy with the hooks? Those owned

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Bloodly posted:

You were also pretty much required to stick to your unit commander like a sponge, as he or she would provide healing and buffs to you.

WHAAAAAAAAT

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Leal posted:

WHAAAAAAAAT

Early parts of Destiny Mode had you being extremely weak. Musou superfans could handle whatever with enough patience, but you mostly had to dial it back, since you had no stats and a starter weapon (generic sword, spear, pike). Whichever general you chose to work under would be on the field, and staying near them would give you drops while they talked to you. It was really neat! Eventually, you become as strong or stronger than the base generals, just by being a clone with high stats.

e: I actually didn't know generals gave item drops until months into owning the game, because I would always go off and do my own thing, so sticking to them wasn't necessarily required but was highly encouraged.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Alright so I actually confused destiny mode with xtreme mode in DW4XL and thought this whole time instead of buying health items and them inflating in price to the point they're unbuyable I could of just hung out with my allied commander to get free heals.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Xtreme Mode in DW5XL was so good. Eventually, everything just got so unreasonable that going into any battle was just scary.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

DW4XL's Extreme Mode was so good that it sold me on the series. Memories. :allears:

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Takoluka posted:

Xtreme Mode in DW5XL was so good. Eventually, everything just got so unreasonable that going into any battle was just scary.

Hey Pal, we sure could use your help here!

There are monsters up ahead! They've stopped our advance. You look tough, think you can take care of them?

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Lunethex posted:

what's the point if I can't juggle a hundred guys at once while breaking out one of my musous :psyduck:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If you don't constantly get at least a 100 hit combo then you can't even call it a Musou game.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Drakenel posted:

There are monsters up ahead! They've stopped our advance. You look tough, think you can take care of them?

I still, to this day, hear that line, in that voice, when I play other games. I also love when the monster is Berserk Lu Bu, and you go "Yeah, I can take him, I thi-" and then he hits you once and you do the run in circles Musou dance for a while before you realize you're on a time limit. I love that game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Dynasty Warriors 9's furniture functions explained.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

At least Yuanji has her knives.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Did they bring back the pre-DW7 Musous where you just repeatedly attack and now end on a post-DW6 explosion?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Did they bring back the pre-DW7 Musous where you just repeatedly attack and now end on a post-DW6 explosion?

From what I've seen it looks kinda like a DW8 Rage Attack.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Jack Trades posted:

From what I've seen it looks kinda like a DW8 Rage Attack.

I just watched the Wang Yuanji "action video," and it looks like she activated her Musou, which was just a string of larger knife throws that ended with the cinematic attacks of DW7+. If that's the new standard, I'm pretty happy with it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On examining the trailers, it looks like they do have the DW8 system of Rage Attacks (long, controllable rampages) and Musous (big cinematic room-clearers). It’s unclear whether they’re linked, though, since all of the characters who enter Rage Mode end their trailer with a Musou.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

If I had to guess, they just made Musou Attacks work like DW8 Rage Attacks where you got a few sweeping hits to collect a bunch of goons together and then a cinematic attack to kill them all.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

If I had to guess, they just made Musou Attacks work like DW8 Rage Attacks where you got a few sweeping hits to collect a bunch of goons together and then a cinematic attack to kill them all.

The two do seem to be separate, though - several characters pop their Musous without going into Rage Mode first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

By the way, is it just me or did it seem like different characters wielding the same weapon had completely different movesets?

Darth Walrus posted:

The two do seem to be separate, though - several characters pop their Musous without going into Rage Mode first.

Fair enough.
Maybe if you press the Musou Attack button it does a cinematic attack but if you hold it you get to do some sweeping attacks for a while beforehand?