Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
speaking of which its a shame that the series artist, tomomi kobayashi, never took the same career path as amano. she isnt as talented as amano but shes still far too skilled to be stuck doing art for korean phone mmos or whatever it is she does now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Same but Akihiko Yoshida. I heard he did do the character design for Nier:A though.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I thought the divine beasts were really good? I enjoyed solving them and how they generally required an awareness of the whole layout, similar to some of the best 2d dungeons (and Majora's). They were short but good.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

looking upon a shooting star: ...Nintendo

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Do you get anything extra for beating Master quest in botw? The thought of doing the trial of the sword in an even more difficult setting makes my stomach hurt but if I get a better ending or a cool virtual t shirt out of it I'll do it

I.N.R.I posted:

romancing saga 3 was great. basically its a bit like ff6 except if it was just sidequests + no main story. i think 2 is the same, in fact i heard it was considered the best of the 3 games, its the only one i havent played yet though

I never played any romancing saga game. Is it OK to start with 2 or will I be lost?

I.N.R.I posted:

speaking of which its a shame that the series artist, tomomi kobayashi, never took the same career path as amano. she isnt as talented as amano but shes still far too skilled to be stuck doing art for korean phone mmos or whatever it is she does now

Virtually all of the people who made Illusion of Gaia/Time did practically nothing after making that game. Even the incredible music composer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

bump_fn posted:

anyone try the romancing saga 2 port? i loved the insane mess that was saga frontier and i'm real tempted

ive got it and i love it. the localization isn't great but the game fuckin rules

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

I never played any romancing saga game. Is it OK to start with 2 or will I be lost?

youll be fine. the stories arent related or anything, and theyre basically snes era jrpgs. just not so linear

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I.N.R.I posted:

youll be fine. the stories arent related or anything, and theyre basically snes era jrpgs. just not so linear

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Thank you

Were any other snes rpgs that didn't make it to America any good? I got pretty far in terranigma and loved it but a lot of the other Japan only releases I tried were a slog

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Were any other snes rpgs that didn't make it to America any good? I got pretty far in terranigma and loved it but a lot of the other Japan only releases I tried were a slog

bahamut lagoons neat because its a tactics game for snes but overall it's kind of a slog, seiken densetsu 3 rules, treasure of the rudras is supposed to be super badass but ive never played it (same guy as the saga games), and live a live is super love it or hate it but i love it a ton

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also chaos seed and energy breaker look fuckin cool but i havent had time to try them yet

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Live a live owns

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Live-A-Live is definitely worth playing if you haven't , really weird and cool

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
yeah playing seiken densetsu 3 makes it hard for me to go back to secret of mana, it's just that game but a million times better

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

live a live and treasure of the rudras (you can find it searching for rudra no hihou or something like that) are the ones i know, the snes was before my time so even as a big jrpg geek theres still a lot i havent played pre ps1. live a live is pretty famous but rudras is more obscure. its not the greatest rpg ever made but its really nice looking and its not so easy you can just mash A through it like a lot of old rpgs

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
theres also shin megami tensei 1 and 2. but modern shin megami tensei games are light years ahead of them

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's worth playing the first hour or two of SMT1 to check out the story bc it's got a sick opening but the encounter rate is astronomically high so I never got very far into it

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm adding every one of them to my n3ds xl right now

I.N.R.I posted:

live a live and treasure of the rudras (you can find it searching for rudra no hihou or something like that) are the ones i know, the snes was before my time so even as a big jrpg geek theres still a lot i havent played pre ps1. live a live is pretty famous but rudras is more obscure. its not the greatest rpg ever made but its really nice looking and its not so easy you can just mash A through it like a lot of old rpgs

Man you have the opposite life of me. I was obsessed with rpgs in the snes days and I completely abandoned them when the Playstation came out. For whatever reason I couldn't stay focused on them like I could in the snes days. in 1995/96 I was obsessed, by 97 I stopped caring

I am very jealous you never played a lot of the snes rpgs. You should share your list of snes rpgs you never played and we can rate them in order you have to play them.

If you want something fairly quick and doesn't require gamefaqs to beat I highly recommend Illusion of Gaia

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

It's not Japan-only but have you played Lufia II yet? It's pretty fun

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Tender Bender posted:

I thought the divine beasts were really good? I enjoyed solving them and how they generally required an awareness of the whole layout, similar to some of the best 2d dungeons (and Majora's). They were short but good.

I think they would be better if they weren't required to finish the game, so they could be more challenging and mysterious.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

an actual dog posted:

I think they would be better if they weren't required to finish the game, so they could be more challenging and mysterious.
they're not required to finish the game

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

they're not required to finish the game

this is technically true but it's heavily encouraged that you do so

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005
I thought all they did was make the boss tight with ganon's first form a joke. The power ups are nice but they're just for convenience

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

It's really cool how you don't have to do the beasts to beat BotW, and how you're not even at a big disadvantage for not doing so, but the game still guides you towards doing them. Required is the wrong word, but they're still a main quest.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

I just want a real intertwined underworld next time. It would be way cooler to stumble upon shrine puzzles and dungeons underground rather than have them all be disconnected things. Each region could have an underground network of caves and labyrinths. I really expected something like this after seeing all the zelda 1 influence so I hope the BotW sequel intermixes the puzzles with the world better.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003
for super famicom jrpgs i'd recommend

energy breaker is a cool super famicom jrpg with a fan patch, it was made by the lufia dudes. its a strategy rpg but much better than like bahamut lagoon or w/e imo

far east of eden zero got a fan patch a few months ago it looks cool but i haven't played very far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lApREoBjDcg this idiot uses the super sai eagle whatever 4x filter :scream:

dark half is a weird enix jrpg where you play the hero but for each story chunk you switch to the villain and start killing dudes and sucking their souls. kind of cool

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

I just want a real intertwined underworld next time. It would be way cooler to stumble upon shrine puzzles and dungeons underground rather than have them all be disconnected things. Each region could have an underground network of caves and labyrinths. I really expected something like this after seeing all the zelda 1 influence so I hope the BotW sequel intermixes the puzzles with the world better.

some of my favorite moments in botw were the stuff like eventide island or even much smaller puzzles, like a bombable rock face in an area thats programmed to rain so you can't just shoot a bomb arrow at it, you need to use the environment to launch something heavy over and break the rocks, etc.

i did really like most of the shrines though, just wish the 40 combat shrines werent against an identical enemy with various levels of health. just more room to improve in botw 2

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Evil Eagle posted:

you're confusing zelda 1 dungeons with the dungeon hyloth in the greatest games of all time ultima 4

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The Zelda 1 dungeons do actually fit together on the same map I believe. It looks something like this

Just give me caves and mazes to explore, I've had my fill of the BotW overworld

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Evil Eagle posted:

Sounds like what you want is Mega Man Legends

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Pablo Gigante posted:

Sounds like what you want is Mega Man Legends

Was gonna say the same

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

The Zelda 1 dungeons do actually fit together on the same map I believe. It looks something like this

Just give me caves and mazes to explore, I've had my fill of the BotW overworld

:psyduck:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

A big BotW underworld would be pretty cool. It would also be neat if they did mirror world puzzles like in the 2d games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It would be cool if BotW 2 was a third person shooter with 100 person simultaneous multiplayer

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

In Training posted:

It would be cool if BotW 2 was a third person shooter with 100 person simultaneous multiplayer

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

this

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

winner winner cucoo dinner

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

In Training posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz84637ot0c

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

In Training posted:

running and climbing around the botw landmass with my group of friends and rolling bombs and shield sliding downhill into other teams sounds really  

edit: due to numerous death threats and screencaps circulating around with my real name and address ive chosen to edit my post. not loving worth this poo poo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

HolePisser1982 posted:

running and climbing around the botw landmass with my group of friends and rolling bombs and shield sliding downhill into other teams sounds really  

edit: due to numerous death threats and screencaps circulating around with my real name and address ive chosen to edit my post. not loving worth this poo poo

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

HolePisser1982 posted:

Lol