Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

MikeCrotch posted:

Meanwhile in C-SPAM:

Riggy posted:

Cool, I'll pick up a copy soon.

My guide had a fun little exchange with his grandfather when he asked him if he had committed any war crimes.

"Define war crime."

"Did you kill any prisoners?"

"I did not kill any American, British, French, or Spanish, no."

"What about the Russians?"

"We didn't take those vermin prisoner."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
WW2 Data

Today's topic is US Army Rockets. What can an Anti-Tank rocket be used for? What angle could it strike against Homogeneous Steel and still get a hit? What is the difference between of ogive and a hemispherical head? What's the difference between an M1A1 and an M9A1 Bazooka? What was the 2.36-inch Smoke Rocket used for? Which rocket(s) were used for anti-aircraft training purposes?

All that and more at the blog!

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
COMBAT DOPE SHEET #5 Algae the Pollywog

COMBAT posted:

As the mighty TINSMAN cuts through the calm of the blue Pacific, you are going to get a good long look at the ocean, so COMBAT is going to try to make you better acquainted. There‘s a lot of stuff that goes on in the dark down there in that ocean that you ought to know about and after seeing all these beautiful Pacific nights, you should be curious about the sky. You won‘t be surprised to learn that oceans cover 3/4ths of the surface of the earth; in fact you‘re probably wondering by now wotinhell‘s happened to that other 1/4 th . The average depth is 2 miles and once you get half a mile down it is pitch black. The deepest known place is 6.7 miles, off the Philippines, a nice tailor-made spot for depositing the Jap fleet. If you can imagine a pressure equal to about 20 boxcars loaded down with iron bars, you can imagine how uncomfortable Admiral Onochi and his honorable sons of heaven are going to be.

For a long time everybody assumed that no life could possibly exist on the bottom of the ocean, where there was no light and it was icy cold. Then a cable broke in the Mediterranean at 7000 feet depth and when they hauled up the broken ends they found an astounding variety of living creatures. They discovered many types of fish life that had searchlights custom-built into their foreheads so they could see in the black depths. As a matter of fact, if you want to knock off a few million pesetas in the next few years, dope out what makes these things glow. All the light we understand burns coal, gas, or chemicals, or electricity – where most of the energy is wasted in heat. If you can make a cold, clammy light like these animals make, you will have found the secret of pure light, and the world is yours. These things can live under this terrific pressure only because the pressure inside their bodies equals the pressure on the outside. But if they are swimming around looking for chow and dope off and drift up too high, the gases of their swimming bladders expand, they lose control of their muscles, shoot towards the surface, and blow up! Just like your mother told you not to run on the sidewalk because you might fall down, Mother Fish tells little Mortimer not too swim too high because he might fall up!

We all know that the big fishes live by gobbling up the little fishes, but did you ever wonder what the little fishes live on? They live on “diatoms” – which is a two-bit word for single-celled “algae” encased in a glass-like box. Now “algae” is not as you might think the nick-name for Algernon, but rather a nice name for scum. The shellbacks probably thought they were really getting us pollywogs sore when they called us “scum”, but we smiled sweetly with price, because we know all the time that the scum of the ocean is a marvelous, wonderful thing that is the basis of all life in the seas. We know all the time that if the shellbacks looked at scum through a microscope, they would find jewel-like single-celled creatures that are so graceful and delicately ornamental that no artistic jewelry could surpass them in beauty. We also know that it is this microscopic life in the water that causes that amazing phosphorescent glow that you see in our wake on a dark night – sometimes you will see a silver trail a mile long (let‘s hope we‘re the only ones that see it). We knew that scum was the basic food for both plant and animal life in the ocean, and that even after these scum creatures have died they were useful; whenever earthquakes have lifted portions of the sea bottom above the surface, these diatom shells have furnished insulating materials against heat and sound and helped make dynamite, rubber, cement, Old Dutch cleanser, and Ipana. So sticks and stones may hurt our bones, but names can never hurt us!

Easiest way to catch a shark: catch a “Remora” fish, which is a 2 foot job that attaches himself to larger fish by means of a great and powerful suction cup on the top of his head. Catch him alive, tie a line securely to his tail, turn him loose, and give him as much line as you can spare. He will fish for you, and after he has attached himself to a large shark (or turtle), haul them both in. Before you jump at conclusions: this is the STRAIGHT dope; many native fisherman in the Pacific use this method to catch large fish.

Some miscellaneous facts: pure sea water is a light shade of blue; the ocean is salty because of salt dumped into it by rivers; the Pacific is two feet higher than the Atlantic; (and) oceans once covered most of the middle west of the U.S.A. [A couple of lines of text are missing.]

Soft racket department: somehow manage to acquire a ship that has a bottom made of copper, sail around the South Sea Islands for a few months (making sure you have all the necessary supplies to make the cruise more enjoyable than a navy cruise), and then go into drydock. Hire a couple of flunkies to scrape the bottom and you stand down in the drydock with a bushel-basket and catch all the pure white silver that falls off the keel. You may think your old friend COMBAT is pumping out bum dope, but so help us it‘s a fact – there‘s a lot of silver in the ocean and a few companies have been formed to extract it by the chemical action of the copper bottoms in the salt water!

If you think you‘re pretty salty, here‘s a question for you: what are “Mother Carey‘s chickens”? All real sailors are supposed to know the answer. Give up? Mother Carey‘s chickens are petrels – one of the best fiends you have. After all the seagulls have deserted you, and after all the bosuns birds have dropped off, this friendly little bird will stick with you far, far out at sea. He is that brownish, blackish bird with the white tail that you‘ve seen hundreds of miles from land – he lives entirely on the sea, coming to shore only for a brief nesting period. Unlike most birds, his presence does not mean that land is nearby – he will wander over all the oceans.

Most of the times you‘ve pointed and said: “look at the porpoise”, you‘ve been wrong, because porpoise are strictly a coastal mammal, and what you are looking at are actually dolphins. The only difference is that the dolphin has a sharp beak-like nose and the porpoise does not. The dolphins favorite dish is the flying fish – and that‘s why the flying fish flies so much. By the way, the reason you might find a flying fish konked out on the deck sometimes is because they are attracted to shiny things and will make a leap at them. Native fisherman catch them by using mirrors and bright pieces of metal.

If you‘ll look closely at the heavens some night, you‘ll see some terrific sights. You may not always get the same vision that little Algae is getting in the picture, but you will usually see a beautiful array that will dazzle your eyes and excite your imagination. Scientists estimate that there are 30 billion stars; some are red hot like our sun, and some are dark like our earth. Men measure distance to the stars in terms of “light-years” – which is the distance light travels in one year at 186,000 miles per second. The nearest star outside our own sun and moon is 3.7 light-years away. It takes 8 minutes for the light from the sun to reach the earth; that means that sunset is actually 8 minutes before it looks like. If you are inclined to worry about BIG things – here‘s one for you – Sirious (the “Dog Star”), three times larger than us, is headed right for us on a collision course, at 360 miles a minute. At the present time Sirius is only 51,000,000,000,000 miles from the earth, so you‘d better straighten up and fly right!

If you‘ve ever seen Altair just after sunset, you were probably impressed by the beautiful colors you saw sparkling from the star – why does Altair sparkle blue, red, yellow, and white whereas other stars sparkle just plain white? It is because the comical elements of Altair are different, and in their burning give off differently colored flames. The larger known star is “BETELGUESE”, which has a diameter of about 250,000,000 miles. Very likely there are many more worlds revolving around suns with life similar to ours, although no evidence can possibly be obtained to prove their existence at the present time.

How hot is the sun? Temperature reading wouldn‘t make much sense; suffice it to say that if we were suddenly transplanted, ship and all, to the surface of the sun, we would vanish in a puff of gas. The only discouraging thing about all this is that the sun will someday cool, and we too will grow cold, and life will probably die on the earth. There is always hope for keeping warm and alive, though, as long as we have Harry James and Betty Grable.

In answer to may shady rumors circulating about the ship saying that COMBAT dished out bum dope concerning those snapping shrimp in #4 – some of the boys listened and listened and heard no snaps. Not even one little crackle. COMBAT wisheds to point out that the snapping shrimp uses his snappers only to make love, and the mating season is September only. After all, the mating season takes a lot out of a shrimp and you can‘t expect him to snap all year ‘round!

WHEN YOU WANT THE STRAIGHT DOPE, READ COMBAT DOPE SHEETS – WATCH FOR #6 – SOON !!

I'm glad people are enjoying these.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Sounds like some references to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony in this one.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I don't think there's anything wrong with reading it- if nothing else, you get a good idea of what Parshall is arguing against in his book.

If one is just doing a smattering of recreational reading it is hard to get a sense of the, uh, vector / shape / whatever (topology?) of the historiography. It all goes into the random fact pile and I can't tell where I got it and if it was good info or the bad stuff. Talking about me here but it seems like it could happen to smarter people than me as well.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I know I came up with the current title and I'm proud of it, but Ask About Military History Mk. III: your old friend COMBAT is pumping out bum dope wouldn't be too shabby either :haw:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Thanks for posting this stuff oXDemosthenesXo, it is great.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

There are like 4 different uses for the word dope in that thing

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

These rule, dude.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

So I'm writing the new sky boxes and it is infuriating me the liberties the RLM are taking with their designation system

Is that a...bad sign

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Nebakenezzer posted:

So I'm writing the new sky boxes and it is infuriating me the liberties the RLM are taking with their designation system

Is that a...bad sign

Is this like the historical antecedent to Mercedes-Benz and BMW giving their 2-liter powered cars designations like "28" and "43?" Because that poo poo drives me nuts in a very small but persistent way.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nebakenezzer posted:

Is that a...bad sign

Perfectly normal response

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Spanish? Germany wasn't at war with Spain though?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Throatwarbler posted:

Spanish? Germany wasn't at war with Spain though?

The civil war, maybe?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Epicurius posted:

The civil war, maybe?

Yeah Condor Legion I assume. Spain sent volunteers to fight with Germany on the Eastern Front in WW2.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Could've been Republican Spaniards that decided living in Communist Russia was better than Fascist Spain, no?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SKY BOXES: Air Transports in the Second World War

1. Ju 52 2. German Gliders 3. Fw 200 Condor 4. German Motor Gliders

5. Ju 52 replacements

Let me beat this dead horse a little more: the Germans had problems replacing the Ju 52. It's not that they didn't try, though. Lufthansa requested Junkers design a replacement for the Ju 52 as early as 1938. Lufthansa wanted a airplane similar to the Ju 52 in reliability, with expanded performance in all other aspects - able to carry much more, further, for less. I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking it was more or less explicitly "build something superior to the DC-3" which by the late 1930s had become the world's most popular airliner.

At the same time, the RLM tasked Arado with building a Ju 52 replacement as well - but one that stressed military concerns, IE operating out of rough/soft ground, and efficient loading and unloading. The resulting aircraft is something of a favorite among airplane nerds, as it combines weirdness with revolutionary innovation.

Ju 252 - A fine design that underlined the weakness of Nazi industry compared to its enemies

First Flew: October 1941

Empty Weight: 13,127 kg (28,880 lb)

Loaded Weight: 22,257 kg (49,560 lb)

Max. Takeoff Weight: 24,050 kg (52,911 lb) (overload)

Max. Speed: 438 km/h (272 mph) @ 5,800 m (19,030 ft)

Cruising Speed: 335 km/h 208 mph)

Range: 3,981 km (2,473 mi) with maximum payload
6,600 km (4,100 mi) with 2,000 kg (4,400 lb ) payload

Payload: (full): ~ 9979 kg (22,000 lbs)

Initially, Junkers did what you'd expect them to do - make a 21 passenger airliner with a stressed aluminum skin and retractable landing gear - a modernized Ju 52. This design was rejected by the RLM for being unambitious. So Junkers decided to go bigger, adding engine power and pressurization. Then, in 1939, Lufthansa changed what *they* wanted, now requiring a 35 passenger plus luggage load. Back to the drawing board, to add yet more capacity. The result 1941 was the Ju 252.

Early flight test in civilian markings.

The Ju 252 was by all accounts a very good airplane for its time, that gave Lufthansa everything it wanted. (Aside from looks - to my eye it looks a little derpy.) The design remained a trimotor, but replaced the old-as-hell BMW 132 radials with Jumo 211 inverted V12s. This was the same engine used by the Ju 88 fast bomber, and the F version made 1300 hoursepower. Three of these made a German transport plane that was not underpowered. If it doubled its power compared to the Ju 52, it quadrupled its range, capable of flying 4000 km with a full load, and could cross an ocean with a two ton payload (actually this is a little wild, as had the Japanese been cool with it, this thing apparently could have handled Japan trade flights.) Full payload was nearly 10 metric tons, or three and a bit Ju 52s. As it was originally an airliner, it could originally handle 35 passengers, more than double the Ju 52. It even had pressurization, meaning that in the black gay Hitler world where it was still peacetime, it might have been able to compete with Boeing's revolutionary 307 airliner.

Frankly these numbers are pretty drat great, assuming they are reliable. Frankly, I'm looking at them and wondering why Junkers (and the Third Reich) continued with the Ju 290, who's abilities were only modestly better. The answer is partially the civilian airliner nature of the Ju 252. Even giving it the most basic defensive armament was difficult, (mostly due to pressurization messing with the idea of "just stick turrets on it and open windows and poke machine guns out of them" praxis that was dominant for the era) and maybe more importantly when compared to the Ju 290, it had been developed exclusively for hauling people and cargo - it didn't have the maritime reconnaissance role baked into it.

Naturally by 1941 the military had taken over the project. The main contribution they had to the 252 was the addition of the trappoklappe. The trapoklappe was an unusual solution Junkers had come up with to solve the problem of making tail-dragging aircraft better at loading and unloading. A hydraulic ramp raised the tail, making a steeply angled cargo ramp that could accept small vehicles with the help of an internal winch. (The Ju 290’s entry will have more detail.)

So from a cargo-hauling perspective, it was a very useful aircraft - but one that was displeasing to the RLM, the ministry in charge of all things air-related. The Ju 252 - after all those notes saying go bigger - was now too expensive for the Third Reich. It used engines from a combat aircraft, and otherwise used too much scarce resources (this could mean actual metal, but could also mean manufacturing time.) Another problem from the RLM's point of view was that post-Soviet invasion, it was the classic Nazi manufacturing dilemma: to introduce a new model would require stopping production of an old model, and that would have to be a combat model (unthinkable) or the aircraft that it was replacing (the Ju 52, similarly unthinkable.)

So the RLM did some extraordinary unhelpful things. First, it forbade the use of combat aircraft engines, which in Third Reich terms meant "you don't get to use good engines." Second, they told the development team to go back and take, well, value out of the aircraft, drop the pressurization, etc. And how about you look into wood substitution, huh?! Aircraft Aluminum doesn't grow on trees, y'know!

This "decontenting" process produced:

The main visual difference between the Ju 252 and 352 are the windows: on the 352, they are either rectangular or lacking entirely.

Ju 352

First Flew: August 1943

Empty Weight: 12,500 kg (27,561 lb)

Loaded Weight: 19,600 kg (43,216 lb)

Max. Speed: 370 km/h (230 mph)

Cruising Speed: 241 km/h (150 mph)

Range: 1800 km (1,120 miles)

Payload: 3500-4000 kg (7716-8818 lbs) increased to 3800-4300kg (8378 - 9480 lbs) in April 1944

Despite the fact that the aircraft look similar, you can tell how much revision was actually needed to meet the new "austerity" demands of the RLM if you look at the gap between the 252's and 352's first flight - a year and a half. The engine Junkers had secured was the Brambo 323 radial - an engine that dated back to the early 1930s as a licensed copy of the British Bristol Jupiter radial, and one that had a long history of being the engine for projects that couldn't secure anything better, such as the Fw 200 and the BV 222. While reliable, it only made 1000 hp, which was anemic by any sort of midwar standard. The biggest structural change was that the fuselage was now a steel frame on mostly wood, though it did retain the trapoklappe. The wings had been pushed back slightly, and it was, thankfully, easier to arm.

The resulting aircraft was faster than the Ju 52 and slightly longer range than Auntie Ju (1800 km vs. 1200 km.) It was also capable of lifting at least double what a Ju 52 could. It took a long time to get here, but this seemed to be a solid win for the RLM. They named it Herkules.

Of course, time makes fools of us all, especially the Luftwaffe. Plans were made for series production, but late '43-early 1944 was an awful time to be looking to build a new anything in the Third Reich's now overstressed-verging-on-hydrolocked aircraft industry. Said industry was now in a fight for its life, and finding production room for the successor of the Ju 52 was nearly impossible. The main production plant was Fritslar (43), but the Lvov plant in Prague was also tasked with manufacturing a few.(7) Production was: two prototypes, a V1 and V2, then a preproduction run of 10 A-0s. These were completed by Febuary 1944. The fourty A-1s were made after that, with production being cancelled in the 'Fighter Emergency' of the summer of '44. The last two A-1s were made at Fritslar in September 1944.

Trapoklappe: DEPLOY

Service History: The Ju 252 had a production run of fifteen (shortened from 25), with five initial prototypes, and the ten others being called the A-1 series, and all aircraft were all delivered by the end of 1942. Reading around, they were assigned to Four Engine Transport Squadron/Transport Squadron 290/Transport Squadron 5, the island of misfit toys of cargo transport flyers. Reading around a bit, I found mention in a book of the author flying a Ju 252 to deliver aircraft engines and jet turbines, a good use for the rare-but-capable transport. As a transport aircraft kept behind the lines, I assume that Ju 252s also found use in intelligence operations and under KG 200's efforts to keep hope alive in the dying days of World War 2.

Unlike the Ju 252, it seems that the Ju 352 was actually used in some conventional army resupply missions - before like the Ju 252 they were drafted into KG 200. They were apparently well liked by the crews as well - they were tough like the Ju 52, and had reversible props, greatly helping in landing deceleration. 25 are reported to have survived into April 1945 - but most were destroyed on the ground by their own crews. Two were captured - one by the French, the other by the Soviets - who flight tested them. Czechoslovakia completed a half-finished Ju 352 they had hanging around Lvov, and then gave it as a personal gift to Stalin. At least one airframe was captured and put on display by the British, before it went through the normal cycle of assessment and scrapping around that time.

Post War Use: None.

Post-war Ju 352 in British Markings.

The Czechoslovakian gift airplane.

Ar 232 "Centipede" - Weird but ground-breaking

First Flew: June 1942

Empty Weight: A: 11,135 kg B: 12,810 kg

Loaded Weight: A: 16,100 kg B: 17,600 kg

Max. Takeoff Weight (overload)- A: 18,600 kg B: 20,000 kg

Max. Speed: A 283 km/h, B 295 km/h

Cruising Speed: Unknown

Range: A 1500 km, B 1400 km

Payload: ~ 4500kg (9920lbs)

One thing you might of noticed in the story above is that for all intents and purposes Lufthansa was replacing the Ju 52, not the Luftwaffe. In truth, the Luftwaffe put out its own contract for a Ju 52 replacement. Going to smaller manuacturers Fiesler and Arado in 1939, the RLM selected the Arado design as the more plausible of the two, and awarded a contract for its development. It was hoped the new design would use BMW 801 radials, a new mass production radial engine that would outperform the BMW 132 and the Brambo 323 radials. The 801 started making 1500 hp, and this would expand to 1900 hp by the war's end.

As you can see, 'tail boom' was the right term.

The resulting design did several clever things. In the interests of having a rear ramp for easy loading and unloading, it was given tricycle gear, and to make the ramp near to the ground, high, shoulder mounted wings were used. The "stepless" cockpit opened out into a fuselage maximized for efficient design. And then its nickname: the RLM specifically wanted an aircraft that could operate close to the front lines - specifying the aircraft should be able to take off over " trenches 1.5 m wide and small elevations up to 0.8 m high." Ground pressure (IE how much pressure exerts with its landing gear) is very important when operating out of actual fields instead of landing fields - so Arado gave the 232 a strip of ten semi-retractable landing struts running the length of the fuselage, using low-pressure tires for a maximum footprint. These struts allowed the 232 to operate even in mud, sand, and frozen bog - damned impressive for a large cargo transport. It could also take off at max. takeoff weight in 200 meters. The cargo hold was 6m long, 2.3m wide, and 2 m high. Adding to this cargo-handling ability was another modern touch - a internal cargo crane with a 1500 kg capacity. The crew was four - a pilot, a navigator, a radio operator, and a loadmaster - the second two of whom could use the mounted defensive machine guns.

The result of all this was a military transport that was modern in its configuration, and aside from the millipede wheel arrangement and the stalk-like tail boom, it's the configuration most military transports use today. It should be said that in a case of convergent evolution, it seems most aircraft building nations settled on this configuration independently of each other, and even in the German genus of aircraft there were already many ideas that were modern: the BV 222's/Me 323's loading through the nose, the high shoulder mounted wings of the Go 242 glider, the universal feeling of "holy gently caress, ramps would be a huge help" after struggling manually unloading a tail dragger for the ten-thousandth time. Fairchild in America was working on what would be the C-82 Packet, which had nearly all of these features, and would be reworked into the C-119 Boxcar. Still, the Germans did it first, and deserve some credit for that.

Another neat feature, and one that is found on some modern cargo aircraft was its ability to 'kneel' in the rear, to decrease the ramp angle for easier loading.

So why wasn't this aircraft a replacement for the Ju 52 and produced in vast numbers? Oh, the usual.

You have the Nazi manufacturing dilemma again. In addition to that, you have the other project of the Ju 252/352 to think about. Junkers was favored by the RLM both for its usually close links to the Nazi Regime, and because they strove to be especially "fordist" (IE assembly line) in their manufacturing techniques, which it was hoped would balance the material deficit the Third Reich faced compared to its enemies. The use of a good engine was predictably a sticking point. The A series production used BMW 801s making 1600 horsepower each - and the BMW 801 was in demand for other projects, such as the Do 217, Ju 88, and most notably ground attack versions of the Fw 190, essential for the Eastern Front. What's more, the more capable Ju 290 would also use BMW 801s, at the time decided that the birds were well in hand, as they were just over there in that development bush. (In an unfortunate bit of timing for Arado, the Ju 290 took its first flight a month after the Ar 242, so that certainly didn't help.) Plans to build 75 A-1s were almost immediately canceled, with an initial production run being just 10 A-0s (IE pre-production prototypes.) This was extended to 20, with the other 10 being assigned the NONSENSICAL NOMENCLATURE B-0 WHAT ARE YOU DOING RLM YOU INVENT THIS OBSESSIVE CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM AND THEN YOU JUST MAKE poo poo UP LIKE AN INITIAL PRODUCTION B SERIES, GOD, YOU SICKEN ME

Sorry. The B series used four Brambo 323s , clearly the only engine left in the cupboard once the higher priority projects had taken their share. These radials are usually described as making 1000 hp, though late model Fw 200s had 323s that made 1200 hp, 1300 with the temporary methanol boost. This switch didn't really improve its chances in the RLM.

Choice quotes from auto-translated German Wikipedia from the RLM on the Ar 232 from a meeting in the summer of 1942 include, from chief of planning at the RLM Major General Carl von Gablenz, that the Ar 232 could be cancelled as it was "worst-selling aluminum eater". Between one Ar 232 or two Ju 52s, von Gablenz preferred the two Ju 52s, even with the higher fuel and crew requirements. Countering this was another technical head, Flying head (sic) Walther Friebel, who pointed out the Ar 232 could land cargo in places the Ju 52 just couldn't, and was ideally suited for operations in snow and ice. RLM head Reichmarshall Milch couldn't really decide. On the one hand, its all metal construction (!) was seen as a disadvantage; on the other hand, the Ju 352 aside from its non-strategic material use only really offered a shorter takeoff and landing - and clearly the unusual Ar 232 offered unique advantages. It seems this compromise position was so the issue could be revised if necessary; unfortunately, the advocate of the Ar 232, Fribel was killed in an air crash in 1943, meaning the 20 unit production would be it.

Arado, like Junkers, was told to get back to work, and build a four engine version made from non-strategic materials. As the B-series was only flying in later 1943, it is likely these efforts fell by the wayside once the Ar 234, the world's first jet bomber, metaphorically took off.

Service history: The first prototype (V-1) flew on June 28th, 1942, and the second flew in November '42. Because I HATE YOU SO MUCH, this aircraft was known as A-01, and would crash on the 6th of February 1943, having been the last aircraft to fly out of Stalingrad. (I'm not sure if the crash was at the end of that flight or later.) The rest of the initial bastard series of 10 A-02-10 followed, with the last flying first on the 17th of July 1943. These aircraft were used singly in whatever crisis the Third Reich happened at the time, except for the A-05, which might have been known as the V2 for reasons I can only imagine involved sodomy and Ted Cruz dressed as a clown as it remained with the Arado company as a test-bed, trainer for new pilots, and inter-German engine courier.

The B-series first flew on August 3rd, 1943. The first prototype burst into flames on its second flight and managed to land safely but was a total write-off - despite this, nine additional B series aircraft followed. These were all delivered before May 1944, where one is still listed in KG 200's inventory. As a flyer capable of landing in very unusual places, it was popular in German intelligence for landing spies and saboteurs.

Post War use: Amazingly, two B-series Ar 232s fell into the hands of the British. After flight testing them (famous British test pilot Eric "Winkle" Brown apparently thought they were quite good) they were used for a few years as transports between Britain and occupied Germany before being scrapped.

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Dec 20, 2017

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 19th Dec 1917 posted:

Frost still holds. Enemy movement observed again at MAST FARM. Enemy aircraft was very active during the day. One E.A. was brought down in enemy's lines. Enemy's M.G's were very active from MAY FARM, CIRCUS POINT and BASSEVILLE CABARET. Work was carried on as usual.
At 9-45 our artillery put down a "barrage" for a "dummy" raid on GAME COPSE and MAY FARM, lasting for about 15 minutes.
No patrols went out tonight owing to enemy gas shells. Some of the patrol party were affected by it, but not for any length of time. Gas was first felt at 9-15 then very strongly at 9-45 pm.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

SKY BOXES: Air Transports in the Second World War
This was extended to 20, with the other 10 being assigned the NONSENSICAL NOMENCLATURE B-0 WHAT ARE YOU DOING RLM YOU INVENT THIS OBSESSIVE CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM AND THEN YOU JUST MAKE poo poo UP LIKE AN INITIAL PRODUCTION B SERIES, GOD, YOU SICKEN ME

Because I HATE YOU SO MUCH, ....

If academic writing conventions allowed people to do this I'd have probably stayed a history major

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

Does anybody know WTF this sheet is talking about when it mentions mining silver off of copper sheeting off the bottoms of ships?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Deptfordx posted:

I've a feeling this has been mentioned, might be thinking of 'Destroyer Captain'.

The Fuchida book is not, it's a good narrative of the battle and an entertaining read, but key moments are fabricated. Destroyer Captain hasn't been debunked, but there's a few passages I could pick out as having been written with hindsight. Anyway, read Destroyer Captain, it's one of the great first hand accounts of any war.

frankenfreak posted:

Meanwhile in PYF:

:master:

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 20, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Comrade Koba posted:

Alfred and I strolled around the empty Charleville, and Alfred documented the occasion with his film camera. This recording I still have to this day, and although the colors are starting to fade, you can still recognize our faces and some of the surroundings.

Please say you found the film.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
COMBAT DOPE SHEET #6 Manus Island

COMBAT posted:

If the year was 1844 instead of 1944, and you were on an old wooden sailing vessel steaming into Seeadler Harbor, Looey the native would be standing on the shore looking you over and thinking what a nice roast of “long pig” you would make turning on a spit over a fire. Or if he got a close-up of the wrinkles and bumps in your shaven dome, he would think ”now wouldn’t that head look nice on the mantle right alongside that nice old missionary”. Luckily for you, tomorrow he will be standing on the shore loaded down with beads, shells, bananas, grass skirts, and pineapples thinking what a rooking he was going to give you sailors when you dropped the hook. As a matter of fact, though, even today if you stray too far into the bush you’re liable to hear swish and next thing find yourself hanging out to dry with everything below your chin missing. Whatever you do stay within sight of 51 and Winfield will pull you out of any tough spots.

Manus Island is a part of “Melanesia” (“islands of the blacks”) and is a real equatorial, jungle type of place. Of course, we’ll see the white man’s influence on the coastal settlements but generally the islands are still practicing their native forms of religion, which is mostly black magic and sorcery. Many native villages have a sacred house or other holy place where secret societies meet and religious ceremonies are held. Here also are kept sacred objects, such as images, drums, flutes, and masks. Keep away from these places unless you want your head to become a new addition to the collection of sacred objects. For the most part, native communities are self -sufficient, by gardening, hunting, and fishing. Slavery still exists – young men are often pressed into slavery for four years, under the white man’s government. One of the forms of currency used are sticks of black twist tobacco (26 sticks equals about 4 bucks). You’ll probably see the U.S.A. influence in clothes but some of the native guys and gals still run around in nothing but a “G” string composed of a shell, guord, or bark. And grass skirts are worn as well as well as sold around here. Speaking of women, they are pretty much kicked around and do all the dirty work. But, brother, the word is taboo and you know what we mean – the boys may kick them around but they don’t want any sympathy from you.

The Japs were fumigated out of Manus last March, but unfortunately another type of insect still exists: the mosquito. The female species is the malarial type: watch out for her. She is about the size of a humming bird and when she gets into her biting stance, she stands on her head instead of her feet like all other mosquitos (the goal) is to get a bigger and harder swing with her hypodermic needle. Incidentally, (she) has stingers at both ends so she can sting coming and going.

The outstanding thing about these Admiralty Islands, and all the East Indies Islands is that whatever happens out here, it happens BIG. Take for example their volcanoes – whereas most volcanoes just erupt and overflow, out here they actually blow up. Krakatoa Island, between Sumatra and Java, was blown sky high in 1883 by a volcanic explosion and the shock was felt right straight through the whole diameter of the earth; dust and pumice were blown 30 miles high and high winds carried the stuff clear around to Europe; the effect of this stuff in the air made extra-brilliant sunsets all over the world for months after, and it caused a tidal wave of 120 feet. Whereas before the explosion the island was 5 miles by 3 miles, it suddenly became 3 miles by 2 miles.

The business of doing everything up big is also reflected in the plant and animal life. At last you’re getting into these jungle places where things are really rough. This is where those big ugly bruiser crocodiles hang out, and there’ll be no swimming if we anchor anywhere near the mouth of a river. The monsters have even scared the pants off the natives. Watch out for that big yellow and black-banded water snake, too. If we anchor close to the beach, Tuesday morning you’ll be awakened by a jazz band that will sound considerably different than any you’ve ever(y) heard – for that is exactly what the amazing jungle birds sound like in the early morn. One in particular is a big black bird that can’t fly – the “CASSOWARY”. He’s a pain in the neck as far as the band is concerned because all he can do is grunt, moan, and bellow, but he’s too big and rough to chase away from the jam session. He stands 5 feet tall and he can kick as hard as a Missouri mule (he is equipped with huge, powerful legs). If he’s in a foul enough mood, which he always is, he can deliver a kick that will finish you but fast! To help things along he has a spear-like quill set-up in his wings and toes that can stab you to a bloody pulp. Just take a look at that old sourpuss! One of his playmates is our old friend Reddy th Fox, only down here Reddy has grown himself a set of wings 4 feet in diameter and he flies instead of hiking it. Can you imagine a hound chasing one of these foxes when suddenly the fox took off like a P-38 and whipped around and snapped Rover’s tail off on the fly? One thing about these giant flying foxes is that where their lowlier ancestors had to eat field mice and stuff – they won’t eat anything but fruit! A few of them can put an awful nick in an orchard in a few hours. Just to top things off, on Manus Island butterflies are as large asbluejays, pigeons are always the size of turkeys, and any rat under two feet long has an inferiority complex. You’ll see huge flocks of beautiful flocks of white cockatoos (a kind of parrot) flying around the treetops, screaming like hell. There are kangaroos here, too, and they can climb trees – the adult ones jump from tree to tree without touching the ground, just like Tarzan!

If you see Looey tossing big white peanuts into his mouth, don’t stick out your hand and say “gimme”, because very likely Looey is eating that jungle delicacy – big, white, live, juicy wood grubs. Another choice dish is roast lizard tails, medium rare, please. The boys also like birds and burble eggs without removing the shell, and if they’re hungry, without removing the nest either. COMBAT hesitates to state that the harbor is teaming with fish because the last time we did there wasn’t a good enough fisherman aboard to do anything about it. But just to help you out: here’s a hot tip on how the natives catch ’em – dig the root of a vine called “derris” and scrape it until a thick white fluid oozes out. Find yourself some calm water and dump in the juice. Within two minutes, COMBAT guarantees that all kinds of fish will come floating to the surface, knocked out cold. And believe it or not the cannibal natives in the interior mix this juice with crocodile blood and drink it like rum! If you see a native with dark purple stains all over his teeth and mouth, don’t think he’s just polished off a blue blood – very likely he’s just a peaceful Looey who has been chewing “betel nuts”, and what Wrigley is to America, betel is to Manus. One of the things the Australian government has done has been to promote good will between the native tribes, who are used to fueding just like those “reckless mountain boys”. They cleverly introduced the American game of football as a substitute for tribal warfare, to work off excess steam. The two main tribes are the “salt water people” who live on the shores and the “bush people” who live in the interior. These grudge battles for the league championship make the Army Navy game look like a waltzing contest – although the natives go for football, they don’t go for the rule-book very much. After a few (years) of football, the Australian government urged the natives to go back to tribal (warfare) in order to stop the excessive bloodshed – but no sir the natives they go (for) this football stuff! There goes Looey around left end, stiff- arming the (“bushw)hackers” with a carving knife – we want a touchdown, rah, rah, rah!

In #7 our friend COMBAT will get into some actual war news along with the travel advice.

The references to football are interesting because my midwestern grandpa mentioned that the first time he ever saw the game was during shore leave in some east coast city (NYC maybe) shortly before they took off on the "war cruise" that the dope sheets are documenting.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

mllaneza posted:

Please say you found the film.

I don’t have it personally, but I’m sure it’s still with all the other stuff he saved up over the years. I do know he had it copied to a VHS cassette in the 90s along with a bunch of other old film reels, so it shouldn’t be too hard to have it digitized if/when I ever get my hands on it.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Scribbled on that combat dope to try to restore some of the original lines

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

mllaneza posted:

The Fuchida book is not, it's a good narrative of the battle and an entertaining read, but key moments are fabricated. Destroyer Captain hasn't been debunked, but there's a few passages I could pick out as having been written with hindsight. Anyway, read Destroyer Captain, it's one of the great first hand accounts of any war.

Yeah, I think Hara's pretty good about not trying to hide what he's writing with hindsight but it's definitely there.

Clarence
May 3, 2012

13th KRRC War Diary, 20th Dec 1917 posted:

No movement on the part of the enemy was observed, owing to a thick fog during the day.
In the evening two patrols tried to go out. but returned owing to the darkness.
Usual work of improvement was carried on.
The enemy put down a fairly heavy barrage on TOP HOUSE group which lasted for about 40 minutes. No action was taken by the enemy.
Another dark night - moon set was before midnight this time.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
I have a confession to make: I am a firm believer in the efficacy of bat bombs. Somebody please convince me otherwise.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I have a confession to make: I am a firm believer in the efficacy of bat bombs. Somebody please convince me otherwise.

I mean, they're OK but they have very narrow fields of application.

Here's a documentary on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dghbyBaQyI

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cyrano4747 posted:

I mean, they're OK but they have very narrow fields of application.

Here's a documentary on the subject.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dghbyBaQyI

I think you're mistaken, this is a documentary on the USS Indianopolis

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
How the gently caress did over 8 million people die during the 30 Years War? That's gotta be the most deadly war in the Western World until WW1 right?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

How the gently caress did over 8 million people die during the 30 Years War? That's gotta be the most deadly war in the Western World until WW1 right?
food supplies got hosed up, disease

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Also it lasted 30 loving years.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The 30 years probably helped.

e;fb

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Well the French Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars lasted 23 years and didn't come close to that.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Yet more evidence that the pike is the perfect killing machine

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I've heard people say online that the reason for the project getting cancelled was because of its ineffectiveness but IIRC it turns out that the people doing the testing determined that they were surprisingly and startlingly effective against their prospective targets. I doubt they would have been anywhere near effective against a model city in the European style but I could be mistaken.

As for what might have made them ineffective, I'd say that the effects of Japanese AAA probably was not accounted for in their little Japanese village. The flak would probably savage them up but really I think the sound of bursting shells might disorientate them more but who knows. The other reason it might have actually sucked was logistical. Seems like it'd be a pain in the rear end to capture, transport and equip bats by the millions without losing tens to hundreds of thousands to shock, disease and being transported from New Mexico half a world away to a radically different environment. Also, not actually knowing how the bombs were actually attached, woe be to the poor fucks handling a natural carrier of rabies.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Well they did get used pretty succesfully in '45, sunk a few ships.

And by they I mean the ASN-N-2

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GUNS posted:

food supplies got hosed up, disease

Decrease in the harvest, trade both on land and the roads disrupted, lovely weather and the economy of the nation dropping hard are also reasons for a shitload of non combatant deaths in pre-20th century conflicts.

Oh and the occasional mini ice age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Hey guys it's the main battle tank a zombie concept? Is it already dead thanks to the advent of top attack atgm available at the squad level?