Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
Needed another Nob with a Buzz choppa. Had a Black Orc and some bitz.

Quick spritz of DA YELLO and he is well on his way!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
Which yellow is that? (Łooks like a great yellow to start the green of my Shadespire Orks.)

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Got an Apoc game lined up for the 28th. 400 PL defenders, 500PL attackers, + superheavies for each side and forts for the defenders. Gonna be mental.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

DiHK posted:

That's cool B4BG, still assuming you'r doctorate is in engineering? I'm really excited for the time when I can throw complex poo poo at my progeny.

Yup. My daughter is already all about doing fun stuff with Dad. Hopefully she will still think robots and stuff are awesome when she's older.

Plus she loves Tyranids.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

dexefiend posted:

Which yellow is that? (Łooks like a great yellow to start the green of my Shadespire Orks.)

Looks like the Army Painter Daemonic Yellow. I have used it for various projects but haven’t managed to get a finish as nice as on that Ork there. Mine comes out quite thick and grainy.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yup. My daughter is already all about doing fun stuff with Dad. Hopefully she will still think robots and stuff are awesome when she's older.

Plus she loves Tyranids.

I too am hoping for the excuse to play plastic spacemen with the kids. The daughter is getting to the age where concentration is possible and learning about numbers and probability will be useful. I might try out little “forging the narrative” sessions with her over the holiday break.

Both of the kids call an unpainted Carnifex I have laying around “Spooky” and insist giving it hugs and kisses. :3:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

PierreTheMime posted:

I too am hoping for the excuse to play plastic spacemen with the kids. The daughter is getting to the age where concentration is possible and learning about numbers and probability will be useful. I might try out little “forging the narrative” sessions with her over the holiday break.

Both of the kids call an unpainted Carnifex I have laying around “Spooky” and insist giving it hugs and kisses. :3:

My daughter helped me paint the base of a Genestealer I'm working on, and she calls it "The Monster" and says it goes "GRAAAWR!"

I love being a dad.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
My son growls a lot and enjoys sticking his tounge out. I'll be teaching him to waaaaaag soon. Being a dad is tits.

Corrode posted:

Hands off that's my gimmick
You're doing that wrong.

NORTH-HALL
Jan 15, 2005
"Barney comes to play with us whenever we may need him!"
Finally caught up with this thread again. Such happy news for the Tyranids.

I'm guessing Ork Blood Axes will get that -1 to hit from over 12" trait when the codex comes around. Can't think of any for the others.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

PierreTheMime posted:

For an intro to ham, have a look at Lost Patrol. It's very simple and fast, and laying out the tiles adds another point of interest.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Valhallan Conscripts with the "Get the gently caress back in line" relic bolt pistol on a CoCo still does the old school Commissar thing. And there's no reason the CoCo couldn't be wearing a snappy hat.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 20, 2017

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Real Talk: does anyone have a solution to handling a list that uses 30 Wulfen with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields? Especially after the smite limit?

Because kitbashing like 30 Biovores was never in the cards, and twice the Genestealers are unlike to quite put them down, either. Bypassing 3++/5+++ spam is a motherfucker and it's why I never ran a list like that even with Necrons in 7th.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Real Talk: does anyone have a solution to handling a list that uses 30 Wulfen with Thunder Hammers and Storm Shields? Especially after the smite limit?

Because kitbashing like 30 Biovores was never in the cards, and twice the Genestealers are unlike to quite put them down, either. Bypassing 3++/5+++ spam is a motherfucker and it's why I never ran a list like that even with Necrons in 7th.

The only real solution to that is to throw lovely fire at it en mass. Doubleshooting devilgaunts, etc. In imperial armies stormbolter spam or Aggressors, etc.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

I'd imagine nids would do it through massed termagants using the shoot twice strat and dakkafexes, they're still t4 marines, being 3++ means you need just need weight of fire since ap is meaningless.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Hormagaunts are cool and all, but I promised myself I'd stop with horde armies after Orks :(:

Thanks, though.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Feed them trash so they waste all that melee effectiveness beating up 5pt Termagants

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Corrode posted:

Feed them trash so they waste all that melee effectiveness beating up 5pt Termagants

Oh yeah, this too.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Flyers are also pretty good at killing melee threats like that. Stormtalons with heavy bolters and the like are pretty efficient and don't have to worry about taking a charge. I'm not sure what comparable options there are in the nid codex though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

My daughter helped me paint the base of a Genestealer I'm working on, and she calls it "The Monster" and says it goes "GRAAAWR!"

I love being a dad.

I've noted before, among every woman and girl I know who's a fan of 40k the tyranids seem to be an overwhelming favorite.

Giant monsters eating the galaxy is something everyone can get behind.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Cythereal posted:

I've noted before, among every woman and girl I know who's a fan of 40k the tyranids seem to be an overwhelming favorite.

Yeah, Tyranids and Eldar are anecdotally the armies every woman I know plays.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Uninronically, a few Pyrovores would be great alongside cheap gaunts. You get a bunch of free S5 flamer hits when they charge, four wounds each means that thunderhammers waste excess damage, and every one that dies is still dishing out mortal wounds into models that cost way more points.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

For an intro to ham, have a look at Lost Patrol. It's very simple and fast, and laying out the tiles adds another point of interest.

You misunderstand, my daughter is 4. It's going to be "Rawr there's a monster! Roll these dice and if you get this number then you win!" Possibly slightly more complex, but it's not going to be an official game system in any way.

She did recently insist I drive her to "the tape measure store" to get her own, so she now has an industrial 30' measure that weighs 1/7 of her.

Cythereal posted:

My daughter went for Orks because her favorite color is green. She has a box of Grots and a Herder she painted that she calls "her dudes."

Corrode posted:

They're 4pts. :colbert:

PierreTheMime fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Dec 20, 2017

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

BuffaloChicken posted:

This is from quite a few pages ago, but had to bump it and say how excellent it is. Definitely up there in the pantheon of coolest Knights I've seen - just enough characterful flairs to make it ornate and unique without being overbearing.

Thank you! Once you have a pile of bits in front of you and all the open space on a knight it's hard to tell when to stop, you end up a bit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHZ48AE3TOI&t=10s

Also your Escher/catachan looks excellent, the hair looks even better on a more regular soldier body.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I have been doing some Mathhammer (actuarial analyst ... I can't not do it).

People complain about Tau Commanders with Quad Fusion, but they are less points efficient vs a Land Raider than a 5 man Devastator Squad with 4 Lascannons. Standard Hellblasters are only near that efficiency when Rapid Firing, and Heavy Hellblasters are like half that efficient.

Devastator Squad 26.37 ppw
Tau Commander 27.49 ppw
Tau Commander 24.19 ppw (within 9"; need a teleport homer, and he is gonna die for sure.)
Hellblaster - Heavy 47.38
Hellblaster - Standard 59.48
Hellblaster - Standard 29.74 (Rapid Fire)
Hellblaster - Assault 39.21

(Those Hellblasters are running hot, and I haven't accounted for refilling of 1's.)

Is this just because people don't like Tau?

Edit: most tau stuff kinda sucks!
Railgun Broadside 77.2
Commander 4xMissiles 87.02
Commander 3xMissiles, ATS 80.23
Stormsurge Pulse Driver, ATS 89.72
Ghostkeel Fusionx3 51.04 (within 9")

I realize this is all just about offensive output, but that is the only thing that can be compared easily.

dexefiend fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 20, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
There's a lot more going on than just the damage output, such as maneuverability (assault vs heavy weapons, Fly, deep striking) and the fact that each wound on the Devastator squad can potentially remove a lascannon, while the Tau Commander retains full firing capability until its last wound is gone.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
Also typically the only thing that can fire on the quad fusion tau commander is its unfortunate victim what with it being a character with fewer than ten wounds, while devastators or everything else on that list is open season.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Also the problem with Commanders isn't there efficiency, it's that they're so much more efficient than any other comparable Tau suit that they get spammed.

The Broadside is literally a third as efficient in the same role (that being: gently caress up tanks)

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Artum posted:

Also typically the only thing that can fire on the quad fusion tau commander is its unfortunate victim what with it being a character with fewer than ten wounds, while devastators or everything else on that list is open season.

Also true

This is the problem I see with most mathammer analyses, generally--Comparing damage output is great for comparing unit A to unit B, but beyond that, there aren't any good statistical measures for comparing units across different factions, and with different mobility and suvivability rates

e: Actually diminishing combat effectiveness is probably not *too* hard to factor, but something I rarely see considered. You can take the average loss in firepower per wound sustained multiplied by the chance of taking a wound from a given source and get a decent measurement of how well a unit retains its effectiveness under fire

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Dec 20, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Safety Factor posted:

You missed nothing. 7th was a trash fire.

gently caress formations, I'm glad they're dead.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

dexefiend posted:

Is this just because people don't like Tau?

This is always a good answer. I've caught flack for playing them even though I played a well rounded not Riptide spam list in 7e and just for buying the battleforces recently. Tau make people salty. :(

dexefiend posted:

Ghostkeel Fusionx3 51.04 (within 9")

I know this is kind of off point, but do most people even load their Ghostkeel this way? I thought the go to right now was ion plus ats with secondary weapons being either/or.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Also the vast majority of their line is plastic now, which is more than can be said for Eldar or CSM.

Speaking of which, would a Warrior body be the right size for converting into a Lictor?

They're pretty close in size

metal lictor vs plastic warrior

Put a genestealer head on it and jack the scything talons up high and it'll read as a lictor just fine.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Playing a 2,000 point game later today in celebration of finishing my 2nd to last semester at university.

Taking my AdMech. This list isn't too mean, is it? I'm going up against a Sister of Battle/Grey Knights combined force. The guy normally takes Celestine.

Patrol Detachment
Techpriest Dominus w/Autocadecus of Arkhan Land

Kataphron Destroyers x 5, Heavy Grav Cannons, Phosphor Blasters
Rangers x 5, 2x Transauranic Arquebus

Spearhead Deatchment
Cawl
Onager Dunecrawler x 3, Neutron Lasers & Stubbers, Cognis Heavy Stubbers
Kastelan Robots, heavy phosphor blasters

Super-Heavy Auxiliary Detachment
Knight Crusader, RFBC, Gatling Cannon.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Hi all, I've been drawn back into the orbit of 40k with the new edition. Lurking in this thread, drinking in the hammy goodness for inspiration and hopefully getting a bit better at my modeling/painting. By way of a dubious thank you, here's some shoddily photographed models you have in part helped to create.

This one is a secret santa gift, waaay beyond my ability to actually execute. Learned a lot painting it, but now it hurts me a bit to look at it. I call him Alby.

The army I'm actually building are Tau. I'm painfully slow at painting and have 3 minimal infantry squads that I still haven't finalized/figured out how to highlight or shade. Also my color scheme might suck, anyway they look like this:

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Happy Candlemass you filthy groxherders.

https://regimental-standard.com/2017/12/20/the-candlemass-day-miracle/

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Merry Squigmass every Boy-y.

And yeah, Tau players always get ugly looks. I barely managed to scrounge out any wins in the local tourneys because I tended to overcompensate for possible cheese that never materialised when actually playing.

It is more likely that it is one of the few factions not all about the grimdark that bothers them, but that is why I like them. And Orks.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

BurlapNapkin posted:

Hi all, I've been drawn back into the orbit of 40k with the new edition. Lurking in this thread, drinking in the hammy goodness for inspiration and hopefully getting a bit better at my modeling/painting. By way of a dubious thank you, here's some shoddily photographed models you have in part helped to create.

This one is a secret santa gift, waaay beyond my ability to actually execute. Learned a lot painting it, but now it hurts me a bit to look at it. I call him Alby.

The army I'm actually building are Tau. I'm painfully slow at painting and have 3 minimal infantry squads that I still haven't finalized/figured out how to highlight or shade. Also my color scheme might suck, anyway they look like this:

That scourge is gorgeous, the wings are extremely well done.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

BurlapNapkin posted:

Those wings. Fackin’ Hell. You should do some Tyranids, that painting style would look beautiful on them.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

BurlapNapkin posted:

Not bad but its very dark so it colors all kinda muddy up together and you don't get a ton of detail. Highlighting would fix this. Some light blue or grey highlights on the dark armor and some light brown on the pants.

Shade is super easy, you just buy a wash. It does the work for you. :)

Also maybe consider making of of the colors in that palette a bit brighter, like a brighter blue or brown. It'd help contrast more with the dark armor plates.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
Whoever start doing the write up for Poorhammer, please don't forget my new favourite: "Cornflakes as Brimstone horrors"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Yeast posted:

Whoever start doing the write up for Poorhammer, please don't forget my new favourite: "Cornflakes as Brimstone horrors"

Not bloodletters. 0/10.