Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
seems legit

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

mrfart posted:

Yeah, I was thinking about it yesterday, hours before it got 'out' in the media.
It's weird how long things like that can linger on without people caring too much.

About that, how come family guy had that kevin spacey joke a decade ago? I don't really follow the news about these things,
but I suppose there were rumors too then?

These things weren't in the news. But if you work in the industry, you know these rumors. It's a very small town and EVERYBODY, meaning the 90% of people who work below-the-line, know all this too. It's not just stuff talked about in writers' rooms or fancy restaurants.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

where is this from?

it sounds like it could be his voice but i think im still subscribed to his website emails and i havent gotten an email or seen it anywhere else

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Powaqoatse posted:

where is this from?

it sounds like it could be his voice but i think im still subscribed to his website emails and i havent gotten an email or seen it anywhere else

A statement he released to the New York Times.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

thanks

ugh though, he writes about it like he thinks he did this when he was 16, not 36. also jfc mentioning current projects like its an ad

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Powaqoatse posted:

thanks

ugh though, he writes about it like he thinks he did this when he was 16, not 36. also jfc mentioning current projects like its an ad

the fact that he thinks the main issue was beating off suddenly in front of women while famous and not just...the random beating off...is pretty sad. Like, I don't even get the vibe he understands that he actually DID a bad thing, it wasn't just some power dynamic thing, the thing he did was also not ok.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Mentioning how well admired you are multiple times in your admittance of jerking off in front of people is another kind of jerking off in front of people.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
Just saw the Well Red Comedy Tour last Sunday. It was very funny, and if it's coming to your town you should try to see it, especially if you are a liberal and/or from the South.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Just saw the Well Red Comedy Tour last Sunday. It was very funny, and if it's coming to your town you should try to see it, especially if you are a liberal and/or from the South.

Yeah, I'd planned to catch them when they came through Denver a couple days ago, but wasn't able to. Glad to hear someone's supporting them!

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.
It's kinda interesting to listen to 5+ year old albums of stand-up comedians (it's all spotify has usually), and listen to jokes they would never do anymore.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

mrfart posted:

It's kinda interesting to listen to 5+ year old albums of stand-up comedians (it's all spotify has usually), and listen to jokes they would never do anymore.

There’s a Mitch Hedberg joke that could be teased out of this, but it’s still too soon for me to make it :smith:

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
:nws: https://twitter.com/DougStanhope/status/938295501786681344 :nws:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
At least he didn't go CHING CHONG DING DONG at another comic or he'd really be in some deep molasses!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ya know, It's funny how literally all the counters to the #metoo stuff are white dudes generously 30+ saying "back in my day we all did that and nobody sayd nothing"

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Powaqoatse posted:

ya know, It's funny how literally all the counters to the #metoo stuff are white dudes generously 30+ saying "back in my day we all did that and nobody sayd nothing"

drat, That is really loving funny.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Powaqoatse posted:

I'm pretty sure that tweet is more 'haha I'm an idiot' than 'hey shut up broads we're just havin fun'.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

sexpig by night posted:

I'm pretty sure that tweet is more 'haha I'm an idiot' than 'hey shut up broads we're just havin fun'.

soz i wasnt speaking to a tweet, i just had to say it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Coco13 posted:

Mentioning how well admired you are multiple times in your admittance of jerking off in front of people is another kind of jerking off in front of people.

ps lol

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
you have a mental illness

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
The naruto avatar man is right

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
oh wow doug stanhope made a provocative tweet, better tell everyone about it

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Hey, everyone should watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, if you have Amazon Prime. It's a witty, wonderful show about a Jewish housewife who becomes a stand-up comic in 1958 New York City, and it's hilarious and awesome. It goes a bit into the history of stand-up (Lenny Bruce is a character in the show), and it's funny as hell. The actress, Rachel Brosnahan, doesn't have any stand-up background, but she does an amazing job.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ol yeller posted:

drat, That is really loving funny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Hey, everyone should watch The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, if you have Amazon Prime. It's a witty, wonderful show about a Jewish housewife who becomes a stand-up comic in 1958 New York City, and it's hilarious and awesome. It goes a bit into the history of stand-up (Lenny Bruce is a character in the show), and it's funny as hell. The actress, Rachel Brosnahan, doesn't have any stand-up background, but she does an amazing job.

Did they get anybody interesting to play Bruce?

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Did they get anybody interesting to play Bruce?

Luke Kirby. I don't recognize him from the one episode of Person of Interest he did, and I haven't seen him in anything else.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0456186/?ref_=tt_cl_t14

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

in dougs new book he calls himself the goatse guy of comedy

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

An Apple A Gay posted:

in dougs new book he calls himself the goatse guy of comedy

What’s his forum name?

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
He mentioned he was a very active Usenet poster back in the day.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
There used to be a site, an internet friend linked me to it once, called baiting.org or something like that where people proto-catfished perverts on icq and aim and poo poo, and Doug Stanhope was a guest contributor.

I dont even remember if they were targeting paedophiles or just general, run-of-the-mill creeps, but the goal was to get and post to a funny chat log.

Edit: yeah, just checked and that's the site. Still up and there's a Stanhope log on the front page.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Not Operator posted:

There used to be a site, an internet friend linked me to it once, called baiting.org or something like that where people proto-catfished perverts on icq and aim and poo poo, and Doug Stanhope was a guest contributor.

I dont even remember if they were targeting paedophiles or just general, run-of-the-mill creeps, but the goal was to get and post to a funny chat log.

Edit: yeah, just checked and that's the site. Still up and there's a Stanhope log on the front page.

he wrote an entire book on the topic. https://www.amazon.com/Fun-Pedophiles-Baiting-Doug-Stanhope/dp/0615135420

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
A decent impression of Bill Burr teaching an online comedy course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7zBuM8yAI

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Speaking of Stanhope: Another Bill Burr impression via Sean Rouse and Junior Stopka.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCXWHw8p7es

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Megazver posted:

A decent impression of Bill Burr teaching an online comedy course:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX7zBuM8yAI

I haven’t watched the link cause I’m at work, but I’d be interested in actually seeing Bill Burr talk about comedy from a mentor-perspective. It surprises me that he’s not bigger, his first Netflix special is one of my favorite sets and it’s SO long but never really loses steam. I’m always impressed by how he can get a room on his side, like his whole thing about guns for home protection, and how absurd it is to think you’re gonna be effective.

I was really bummed that his latest special was so bleh, but I’d love to see his take on President Trump. I can’t remember if it came up in the special, but it seems like something he could really wrap his fingers around. The perspective of poor whites, the perspective of POC, and the ridiculousness of Trump himself. I should probably just listen to the Monday Morning Podcast but I’m lazy.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Why would you think Bill fuckin Burr would be able to accurately capture the perspective of a POC?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Why would you think Bill fuckin Burr would be able to accurately capture the perspective of a POC?

I mean in the sense of relating it in a set. But Bill has a better rapport and understanding of POC than probably 99% of straight white male comedians. I’m not saying that Bill can speak for POC or have a better understanding of their plight than they do. I’m saying that I’d love to see his take on things and that he can probably make some jokes about how loving dumb Trump supporters look to POC, etc.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

HEY NONG MAN posted:

Duh his wife is black

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
At least one of the new Chappelle specials is extremely good, and has a great closer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

El Gallinero Gros posted:

At least one of the new Chappelle specials is extremely good, and has a great closer

Which one? I only watched one of last year’s specials and walked away unimpressed, disappointed.