Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

PittTheElder posted:

Can End of the Cycle happen in multiplayer? I'm so sad I haven't been able to inflict this upon my friends.

Based on what I recall from the last time this was discussed: Nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
There are, however, mods that allow for it.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Still gonna say that I'm leery of any system where armies are individual things you have to build and manage for a mostly cursory layer of busywork, but it looks like they might be going for some actual depth in the new ground combat system and basically anything would be a step in the right direction from where we are now.

rex monday
Jul 9, 2001

Pisk. Pisk. Piiiiiiisk!

TheBalor posted:

Mind Control Laser should be a spinal mount weapon, not a module. When it's used to bombard a planet, it should give a big bonus to morale damage, and quell unrest as long as it's orbiting a planet after conquest. The ability to quickly use the resources of conquered worlds would make it something people actually use, and would force you to make a tradeoff between "garrison" battleships and actual warfighting fleets.

I love this bonkers idea.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Artificer posted:

I mean, not quuiiiite everyone.

Well, moreover I'd like a version where you're in control of the crisis in question. :v:

Lant posted:

You have 50 years of being god drat unstoppable, and even when it ends unless your single planet ends up in a bad spot you win.

Are you in Forever War with everyone, though, or do you still have to abide by the 10 year truces?

Also you can't get End of the Cycle as a Machine empire, and gently caress not playing a Machine empire, all that Happiness poo poo is someone else's problem. :colbert:

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Dec 20, 2017

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Also you can't get End of the Cycle as a Machine empire, and gently caress not playing a Machine empire, all that Happiness poo poo is someone else's problem. :colbert:

Just play a hive mind. No happiness, and early game population isn't a hassle. Later on robutts are faster to fully populate new worlds, but the early-mid game is such a pain.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I just encountered a migratory forest... Is that a nod to the forests of Tanith?

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES

frogge posted:

I just encountered a migratory forest... Is that a nod to the forests of Tanith?

Birnam Wood

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

binge crotching posted:

Just play a hive mind. No happiness, and early game population isn't a hassle. Later on robutts are faster to fully populate new worlds, but the early-mid game is such a pain.

But then I wouldn't be made of metal. How are my circuits supposed to gleam if I'm not made of metal?!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Be a Cyborg. Enough flesh to grow normally, enough circuits to make shiny. Driven Assimilators isn't foul as an option, either.

gowb
Apr 14, 2005

Yeah cyborgs are my second favorite ascension trait for sure, you get a cool new species name and big boosts to like habitability and stuff. Plus it's just fun and I think it might make spiritual empires less mad? Not sure

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So is there any good way to speedily increase a scientists level? I just got the infinity machine event and need a level 5 scientist, but my level 5 scientists have all died of all age and the closest one to that level is level 4.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Hunt11 posted:

So is there any good way to speedily increase a scientists level? I just got the infinity machine event and need a level 5 scientist, but my level 5 scientists have all died of all age and the closest one to that level is level 4.

Nope. You just have to feed one of them work.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Hunt11 posted:

Buy a scientist from the Curators. They're always level 5.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aethernet posted:

Buy a scientist from the Curators. They're always level 5.

Thankfully I had the credits to burn to be able to do this. On another note I just ran into the enigmatic fortress so should I just leave it until my ships are ready to reach the next level? In terms of combat power I have tier 5 basic weapons of all varieties but only the tier 4 anything else (as in shields and engines).

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

Thankfully I had the credits to burn to be able to do this. On another note I just ran into the enigmatic fortress so should I just leave it until my ships are ready to reach the next level? In terms of combat power I have tier 5 basic weapons of all varieties but only the tier 4 anything else (as in shields and engines).

Talk to the curators again, they'll tell you if your fleet can beat a leviathan. And for a modest fee, they'll tell you their weakness

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Hunt11 posted:

25k~ fleet power roughly should do it without many casualties with the Curator bonus.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Korgan posted:

Talk to the curators again, they'll tell you if your fleet can beat a leviathan. And for a modest fee, they'll tell you their weakness

There's a caveat here: If you have a shroud Avatar it'll inflate your fleet power massively, but because it's only a single entity it'll get almost instantly murdered by some of the leviathans (the dimensional horror especially). So the Curators might tell you that you're good to go, but your shroud Avatar will be murdered before it even gets in range to attack.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think it depends on the leviathan in question. Shroud Avatars are shield-tanked iirc, so those levis that are particularly good at ignore/chewing through shields will much on it.

That said. A viable solution to this problem is to bring the avatar in a separate fleet and only jump it after the levi already have your proper fleet engaged and is preferable next to the avatar's entry point in the system.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

Slashrat posted:

I think it depends on the leviathan in question. Shroud Avatars are shield-tanked iirc, so those levis that are particularly good at ignore/chewing through shields will much on it.

That said. A viable solution to this problem is to bring the avatar in a separate fleet and only jump it after the levi already have your proper fleet engaged and is preferable next to the avatar's entry point in the system.

It's more that if the Avatar is the only thing that changes the Curators' evaluation from "you'll get murdered" to "piece of cake", you'll likely die because I don't think the Avatar, as tanky as it is, has the damage output needed to kill the dimensional horror all/mostly by itself, even if you make sure to jump directly into attack range.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Oh sure, a lone Avatar is no match vs a leviathan. They may both be represented by skulls, but the hidden fleet strengt score of the avatar is much lower than that of a leviathan. It needs to be supported by a fleet than can cover its weaknesses (range, speed, relatively fragility versus worth)

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/943494414449692672

Oooohhhh

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
How that meshes with the new war system and unrest will be fascinating. It might make conquering much harder in the face of restive populations, now you can't just spam defence armies.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

depends on if assault armies still reduce unrest...

that fort is pretty expensive, though. 270 minerals, 3 upkeep, and a pop/tile. i can't imagine it being worth it from a combat perspective unless armies are now real expensive.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Dec 20, 2017

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

bgreman posted:

Birnam Wood

There are also several species of tree that are said to "walk"

quote:

The walking trees was actually a stand of fig, phoebe and autumn maple trees, weeping fig trees in particular. The aerial roots of fig trees drop from the branches down to the ground and grow into prop roots. Villagers once used fig trees as border markers, only to discover that they could “up and walk."

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Aethernet posted:

How that meshes with the new war system and unrest will be fascinating. It might make conquering much harder in the face of restive populations, now you can't just spam defence armies.

Countdown to sectors only building fortresses forever.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Hunt11 posted:

Surveying. It raises a scientist's level a lot faster than just regular research does.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

canepazzo posted:

Countdown to sectors only building fortresses forever.

We should open a book on what the funniest bug in 2.0 will be. Yours seems plausible, although nothing will ever beat SOTS2:

real patch notes from a horrorshow of a game posted:

Fixed asteroids being able to capture admirals.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Aethernet posted:

On the other hand, makes nuking from orbit more appealing since you've nice craters to build your forts in.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Seems like an odd choice to me. Maybe it will make more sense in the greater context of the game as it stands after the update, but basically what this building says to me right now is +1 Unity. And that's a pretty hefty cost for +1 Unity.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

depends on if assault armies still reduce unrest...

that fort is pretty expensive, though. 270 minerals, 3 upkeep, and a pop/tile. i can't imagine it being worth it from a combat perspective unless armies are now real expensive.

I'm really hoping for assault armies just not being able to stay on planets - make them at home in their transport fleets and the only time they're not in their transports is when they're assaulting a planet. As soon as they win, back to space. (probably not the case, since the Embark buttons were still there, but maybe the UI hasn't been changed yet)

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

Seems like an odd choice to me. Maybe it will make more sense in the greater context of the game as it stands after the update, but basically what this building says to me right now is +1 Unity. And that's a pretty hefty cost for +1 Unity.

I imagine the unrest modifier is a big deal since I imagine it'll be balanced such that even with this building you have the potential for rebellion.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

The AI sucks at tile management, I’m worried that making defense armies tied to a structure you build on a tile will cripple the AI’s ability to defend itself.

Also, do players build defense armies? I pretty much never do except maybe a couple times a campaign to deal with unrest.

I’m a little disappointed that it looks like ground combat is staying in the game in something resembling its current form, but will keep an open mind for now. My dream system would be you park your fleet in orbit and it sieges the planet like in EU.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Magil Zeal posted:

It definitely does feel like a huge opportunity cost, though with fleet shattered retreat having planets try to hold out actually seems worthwhile.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Bold Robot posted:

The AI sucks at tile management, I’m worried that making defense armies tied to a structure you build on a tile will cripple the AI’s ability to defend itself.

Also, do players build defense armies? I pretty much never do except maybe a couple times a campaign to deal with unrest.

I’m a little disappointed that it looks like ground combat is staying in the game in something resembling its current form, but will keep an open mind for now. My dream system would be you park your fleet in orbit and it sieges the planet like in EU.

Would it be so bad if they don't build the useless thing?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

[quote="“imweasel09”" post="“479519622”"]
Would it be so bad if they don’t build the useless thing?
[/quote]

:shrug: I’m just saying it’s a little weird to take defense armies, which the AI seems to handle fine, and move them to be part of a system that the AI is bad at.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Chalks posted:

I imagine the unrest modifier is a big deal since I imagine it'll be balanced such that even with this building you have the potential for rebellion.

I have literally never seen Unrest become anywhere close to being dangerous. Maybe because I typically play the "good guy" side of things, but it's just such a non-factor to me I often forget it's even a thing.

Maybe that will change in the context of the new update, but I haven't heard anything to that effect yet.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
It's generally only a problem on newly conquered planets. Different ethics, a new faction that hates you forms, everyone has 0-20% happiness. Though it's still mostly a problem for authoritarian empires, since the egalitarian faction is the easiest to have absolutely hate your guts. Well, expect the spiritualists if you've got synths, especially if you're going synth ascension.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So now instead of having to remember to disband a bunch of armies we need to remember to redevelop a bunch of tiles? And now the AI needs to weigh the ground-combat importance of planets and make even more tile-management decisions? I'm curious how this all will work together, but it does seem odd to take the worst system in the game (ground combat/invasions) and now tie it in with the 2nd worst system in the game, tile management.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Hunt11 posted:

Park it in orbit of a colony assisting research. It's a constant stream of xp vs only getting it when scanning planets and stuff.

• Locked thread