Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think Finn went from nervous flirtation to sibling like respect and love rather quickly

Rey also sees him as a brother. Imho could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!

euphronius posted:

I think Finn went from nervous flirtation to sibling like respect and love rather quickly

Rey also sees him as a brother. Imho could be wrong.

Yeah I agree with this take

I don’t read too much into his initial reaction since Rey is literally the first girl he’s ever met who’s not wearing stormtrooper armor/into killing randos

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry, I meant criticism of that thing not belonging in a Star Wars movie. Like everyone whinging that the crank call doesn't belong in Star Wars despite Han Solo crank calling death star security in A New Hope.

ah word, I gotcha

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Waffles Inc. posted:

Why would saying "it also happened in another thing" work as a inoculation against criticism. Why does whether one likes a film or not have to become a tribal thing where you have to defend the thing you like from a personal perspective? Someone saying something critical won't take that thing away from you

Additionally, it's possible for someone critical of the film to enjoy it.

It defends against "not my starwars" type of arguments when it literally happened in your starwars. Like the people saying earth religion stuff like "godspeed" would never be in starwars when stuff like hell and drat already were.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Waffles Inc. posted:

Your belief is that donald trump wears fancy clothes?

(Snoke is not donald trump)

Hey, I'm still workshopping that line out. I probably should have gone with "surrounded by gold trappings".

Taco Duck
Feb 18, 2011

Leia gonna have a stroke while banging Finn in IX

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Young Freud posted:

Hey, I'm still workshopping that line out. I probably should have gone with "surrounded by gold trappings".

Snoke is obviously not a Trump analogue though. It's a really lazy comparison.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

PT6A posted:

It seems a lot of people missed this. Luke was never a pure, virtuous, perfect Jedi. He fell to the dark side after Vader threatened to find Leia in the Emperor's throne room, then basically gave up and was going to let himself be killed until Anakin was redeemed and sacrificed himself to save him.

This seems a pretty severe misreading to me. Luke let his anger control him, and he beat Vader. That's his "Dark Side" moment. Notice, moment. As soon as Sheev calls him out on it, he realises it, and rejects it. He throws his lightsaber away, rather than continue down this path. He trusts his friends to beat the Empire even if he dies, which he has accepted. He rather dies than risk the Dark Side. You can't get much purer than that in the old (heavily Christian-inspired) version of The Force. He's basically Jesus on the cross in this moment. The movie beats you over the head with this.

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
Kylo stands on the ashes of his predecessor, invoking a newer, more authoritarian regime after a temporary truce with a more democratic ally.

How you guys aren't seeing that Disney is promoting Stalinism is beyond me #smh

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Kylo stands on the ashes of his predecessor, invoking a newer, more authoritarian regime after a temporary truce with a more democratic ally.

How you guys aren't seeing that Disney is promoting Stalinism is beyond me #smh

Let me know when Hux is erased from all the First Order photographs.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Cojawfee posted:

Let me know when Hux is erased from all the First Order photographs.

Do photographs exist in star wars? It kinda seems like they don't.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Books do now. Maybe there was some prints in the books.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Neither light nor dark can "win", you can't make a world without dark and you can't make a world without hate and the people making that the goal are inevitably going to gently caress it up exactly the way that makes sure neither side gets any real victory.

And yet until 50 years before "now" there were 1000 years of peace and no overt Sith/Dark Side involvement and thousands of Jedi keeping the peace in a rather peaceful Republic. The state that before the new canon was what's "balance".

You're basically arguing we need fascists and some genocide to balance out all the nice people and peace in your second point.

Mantis42 posted:

Finn was definitely crushing on Rey in TFA, and I don't know if he actually reciprocates Rose's feelings.

His face during the kiss was pretty much "WTF?" and not of someone who was seeing some romantic partner making the first move. And for all his faults, Johnson hardly would do that without intent.

Decius fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 20, 2017

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Maybe they can erase him from the Special Edition.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Kevin Palpatine posted:

Maybe they can erase him from the Special Edition.

It's salt.

Also out knowledge of their being peace in the universe comes from Jedi. Hardly an objective source.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

homullus posted:

The Rebellion's disastrous loss of the Tantive IV and Princess Leia only inspired one kid on Tatooine.

Oh coooome oooon. Stop trying to defend a movie so far up its own rear end! Everyone knows that inspiring one kid with potential in the force has never had any consequences to the greater scheme of the Star Wars saga everrrrrr. I'm an educated adult who finds it difficult to see any merit in that line or reasoning at alllll.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Cojawfee posted:

Sorry, I meant criticism of that thing not belonging in a Star Wars movie. Like everyone whinging that the crank call doesn't belong in Star Wars despite Han Solo crank calling death star security in A New Hope.

The problem isn’t what they’re doing.

It’s that they’re directly copying their predecessors but doing a terrible job.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The scene with Han is funny. The prank call in TLJ might be the worst scene in the franchise. Worse than 'I hate sand'? Worse than 'are you an angel?' The added scenes in the OT? I'm not sure but it's up there. Thankfully they got the scene out of the way early.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Why aren't people giving the crank call scene the "why didn't anyone try this earlier?" treatment

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
The scene with Han isn’t even a crank call anyways. It’s just him failing at damage control on the situation. From Han’s perspective, he isn’t being funny or cracking wise until the punchline when he shoots the phone. Everything else about it that makes it humorous is in Ford’s delivery. When compared to Poe’s crank call, it’s like I’m watching Tony Stark talk to Hux. It’s literally the exact same kind of thing he would say in that situation and reeks of that “durr hurr I’m so loving funny” smugness from the character.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

What is the prank call? I was fairly drunk during the movie.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Han Solo trying to keep an officer from sending more troops down to the detention block by telling him "everything's fine, uh, just something screwed up" is nowhere close to a crank call. He isn't trying to be a smartass, he's trying to buy time and hopefully toss the Imperials off their trail for a few minutes. And fails horribly because as good a smuggler as he is, he is way out of his element in that situation.

quote:

[Han answers the intercom after comandeering an attack station]
Han Solo: [sounding official] Uh, everything's under control. Situation normal.
Voice: What happened?
Han Solo: [getting nervous] Uh, we had a slight weapons malfunction, but uh... everything's perfectly all right now. We're fine. We're all fine here now, thank you. How are you?
Voice: We're sending a squad up.
Han Solo: Uh, uh... negative, negative. We had a reactor leak here now. Give us a few minutes to lock it down. Large leak, very dangerous.
Voice: Who is this? What's your operating number?
Han Solo: Uh...
[Han shoots the intercom]
Han Solo: [muttering] Boring conversation anyway. LUKE, WE'RE GONNA HAVE COMPANY!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Decius posted:

And yet until 50 years before "now" there were 1000 years of peace and no overt Sith/Dark Side involvement and thousands of Jedi keeping the peace in a rather peaceful Republic. The state that before the new canon was what's "balance".

You're basically arguing we need fascists and some genocide to balance out all the nice people and peace in your second point.

"You shouldn't use the mystical powers of life to light lightbulbs" is a pretty common moral in fiction. Just because the light force is good doesn't mean you get to use it to be the police. Mako energy in FF7 is the souls of the dead awaiting reincarnation and is the life of the planet but you shouldn't use it to drive your car around or bad things happen. Just because something is good doesn't mean exploiting it is good, it mostly is bad!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Gin_Rummy posted:

he would say in that situation and reeks of that “durr hurr I’m so loving funny” smugness from the character.

Hmm yes, this movie had nothing to say about poe and smugness.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

I enjoyed the Poe/Hux call scene.

I think I just expect less out of these movies though. Same with the Marvel ones. Like if I was going to see the new Aronofsky or Gondry film and it had poo poo like that I’d wonder what they fell and hit their head on.

Star Wars though (or other big budget blockbusters) as long as they’re base level ‘entertaining’ I’ll enjoy it.

Not that there’s anything wrong with expecting ‘more’, I’ve just gotten to the point where I accept what these movies are and enjoy them for what they are.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Hmm yes, this movie had nothing to say about poe and smugness.

Poe learns to blindly follow authority but I don’t really see how you can argue that first scene is intentionally making him unlikeable.

Super86
Apr 20, 2016

Waffles Inc. posted:

What you're suggesting is "guns don't kill people, people kill people", but with the force.

The reason there was never a light side before TFA is because there is the Force, and then there is the corruption of the force. Like with a weapon, the default state is not to be anything at all and then when it is used to kill it's bad.

A gun sitting on a shelf inert is not "light".

The "light side" is nonsensical, and I'm not convinced Rian Johnson even could tell you what the Force is in his own movie.

It would seem though that Luke was the last Priest, but not the last Pastor. Rey, now a fundamentalist armed only with the Bible and no Catechism or Papal Bull, is meant to spread the good word.

Yoda is an apostate not from God, but simply from the Church

The light side aims to use the force for good. The key word is "Use", as in "actively use" something neutral to achieve good results.

Imagine taking that gun sitting on a shelf and using it to prevent a murder. That's the light side.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

Poe learns to blindly follow authority but I don’t really see how you can argue that first scene is intentionally making him unlikeable.

I think there’s a difference between blindly following authority and understanding that sometimes deferring to someone else’s judgment is a good thing.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

It's showing he's cocky. The joke didn't land for me but I also didn't really have a problem with it either.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Decius posted:

Yeah I think you're spot on here, and it's why I think that TLJ has a kind of confused idea of the Force, relative to the rest of the series

If you read up on what Lucas intended the prophecy of the Chosen One "bringing balance to the Force" meant, he says (emphasis mine)

George Lucas posted:

Anakin's offspring redeem him and allow him to fulfill the prophecy where he brings balance to the Force by doing away with the Sith and getting rid of evil in the universe

He has likened the Dark Side to cancer, in fact.

:siren: It ultimately does not matter what George Lucas thinks :siren: but it is valuable, I think, to understand what he intended to be the original idea behind the Force, especially in light of how dramatically Johnson has now changed it

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The Cameo posted:

Han Solo trying to keep an officer from sending more troops down to the detention block by telling him "everything's fine, uh, just something screwed up" is nowhere close to a crank call. He isn't trying to be a smartass, he's trying to buy time and hopefully toss the Imperials off their trail for a few minutes. And fails horribly because as good a smuggler as he is, he is way out of his element in that situation.

Han was trying to stall and buy time so they can achieve their objective.

Poe was trying to stall and buy time so they can achieve their objective

You're right, totally different.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

trash person posted:

I think there’s a difference between blindly following authority and understanding that sometimes deferring to someone else’s judgment is a good thing.

Which is why the admiral did nothing to explain the situation to the point where half the crew turned on her. Great leadership! :discourse:

Kevin Palpatine
Dec 20, 2017
Actually the only thing dumber than the crank call was the super-duper rebel insignia decoder ring. I actually laughed when I saw that thing on screen, fortunately it only shows up for a second but they call back to it at the end.

"Hey kids! Now you can support the rebellion with every box of Frosted Wampa-O's!"

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

kidkissinger posted:

Which is why the admiral did nothing to explain the situation to the point where half the crew turned on her. Great leadership! :discourse:

6 people ain't "half the crew," buddy

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

aware of dog posted:

6 people ain't "half the crew," buddy

The point stands.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

I don't get why people are finding the Poe crank call out of character. Does nobody remember him disarming the threat of a masked Kylo Ren with "So who talks now? You talk? I talk? It's just very hard to understand what you're saying" in the beginning of TFA. Like, that attitude is straight up how the character is introduced.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waffles Inc. posted:

especially in light of how dramatically Johnson has now changed it

Hmmm

Would it be better to say how dramatically the film characters understanding of the force has evolved? The movies are clearly taking place at a revolutionary time in the Force.

I Don't know just posting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fart City posted:

I don't get why people are finding the Poe crank call out of character. Does nobody remember him disarming the threat of a masked Kylo Ren with "So who talks now? You talk? I talk? It's just very hard to understand what you're saying" in the beginning of TFA. Like, that attitude is straight up how the character is introduced.

I know. I don't get it at all.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

kidkissinger posted:

This argument has been made already but the point the film is trying to make is that she doesn’t have to explain the situation. Like, Poe should understand that just because he doesn’t know the plan it doesn’t mean he should go rogue and take matters into his own hands.

It’s a matter of interpretation as to whether or not the movie portrays that well, but that’s what’s happening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

kidkissinger posted:

The point stands.

Nah

^^yeah what they said

• Locked thread