Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IRQ posted:

He just did what must have been a bit from his standup routine about how being a father is waaaaaay harder than being a mother because you have to play with your kid after work.

It was absolutely dire.

Also that no kid ever looks forward to spending time with their mom, and how women are making older men have more children.

This happening literally like a day or two after he publicly confessed to cheating on his pregnant wife (which for months he had claimed was just an attempt at extortion).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

try the new taco place posted:

Really disappointed by the new English announcers on season 2 of Ultimate Beastmaster

You should just be disappointed by the show in general, because it's terrible poo poo.

IRQ posted:

He just did what must have been a bit from his standup routine about how being a father is waaaaaay harder than being a mother because you have to play with your kid after work.

It was absolutely dire.

Like on a scale from 0 to Martin Lawrence, where would you rank it

Josh Lyman posted:

Based on the interview, The Rock, as a producer on the movie, decided to give his character a smolder. If it's ineffective in the movie, then okay, the joke works. But in the interview, it was brought up as something actually sexy and that's all we have to go on.

He also had trouble taking a lot of Kevin Hart's jokes. I wonder if the atrocious performance of Baywatch had made him defensive.

this is some weird hate boner you've got going on for The "Dwayne Johnson" Rock, but this is neither his first movie with Kevin Hart nor is Baywatch the first bomb he's been in by far so... probably not?

raditts fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 20, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Timby posted:

This happening literally like a day or two after he publicly confessed to cheating on his pregnant wife (which for months he had claimed was just an attempt at extortion).

I didn't even know that part, holy poo poo.

raditts posted:

You should just be disappointed by the show in general, because it's terrible poo poo.

Like on a scale from 0 to Martin Lawrence, where would you rank it

An 11 before I knew it was right after he got nailed for cheating on his pregnant wife. Like for real it's 2017 and you're going to dunk on women?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

As someone who never watched anything Stargate TV related this looks loving awful.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

What I want for an iconic Sci-Fi franchise is to use a premise that basically precludes the use of the title item without introducing continuity issues.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming that's Stargate Origins?

I haven't seen anything about it, but I have no interest in it.

It's 10 episodes that are 10 minutes long.

They are charging $20 for an all access pass to watch it.

What a joke.

That's more than a movie ticket.

For what is a movie's worth of webisodes.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

muscles like this! posted:

As someone who never watched anything Stargate TV related this looks loving awful.

It looks like some college student's take on Stargate. It looks REALLY cheap.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

bull3964 posted:

What I want for an iconic Sci-Fi franchise is to use a premise that basically precludes the use of the title item without introducing continuity issues.

It should be hilarious to see how they handwave away the fact that Earth's gate laid dormant for millenia and wasn't activated until the 90's by Daniel Jackson, in a bunker, at NORAD.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In better TV news, Netflix has renewed Dark. Which is good because the first season kind of ends on a cliffhanger (although you know the character has to get out of it okay due to time travel) but it would be nice to get some answers about what Claudia was up to.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

It's ok. The other ones were bad too. I mean I enjoyed them but they were not good. This looks super extra bad though.

As for SNL I love how so many people rag on how much it sucks over the years, it's the TV show equivalent of "I don't even OWN a TV" kind of people who are super eager to tell you that fact.

This week's episode sucked. The stand out host for me this year was Chance the Rapper. That guy's got some charisma

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gonz posted:

It should be hilarious to see how they handwave away the fact that Earth's gate laid dormant for millenia and wasn't activated until the 90's by Daniel Jackson, in a bunker, at NORAD.

It was activated once in WWII, but without elaborating on that because nobody here cares that actually only makes the dumb webseries even dumber.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Timby posted:

Seriously. He had one of the worst monologues in SNL history this past weekend.

yeah that was hard to watch

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I've rarely hated a character like I do Will Gardner. If that was the long game for this show, congrats, because I wanted to punch his face in several seasons before he became an antagonist.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

raditts posted:

this is some weird hate boner you've got going on for The "Dwayne Johnson" Rock, but this is neither his first movie with Kevin Hart nor is Baywatch the first bomb he's been in by far so... probably not?
I like The Rock in the Fast and Furious movies (even though nobody told him that "calvary" is actually a different word than cavalry), but he has a pretty limited range and calling him the biggest movie star in the world really infuriates me.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Dec 20, 2017

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
There's no Bob's Burgers thread so I'm here to say this year's Christmas special was so good. Probably a classic like 'Christmas in the Car.' Twinkly Lights is my favourite song the show has ever done.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Josh Lyman posted:

I like The Rock in the Fast and Furious movies (even though nobody told him that "calvary" is actually a different word than cavalry), but he has a pretty limited range and calling him the biggest movie star in the world really infuriates me.

In what possible way does acting ability have anything to do with how big a star you are?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man I forgot Parks and Rec ended with the gentrification of Pawnee and lots of people being priced out of their own homes and it being treated like a good thing

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
if you don't acknowledge The Rock as a great comedic actor and also sexy af then i just don't even know anymore

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

precision posted:

if you don't acknowledge The Rock as a great comedic actor and also sexy af then i just don't even know anymore

He plays "giant tough guy badass" really good.

Giant tough guy badass and also comedic? You're thinking of Terry Crews.

The Rock is fine in TFATF because that's all those movies really require.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
One day I guess I'll watch the Fast and Furious movies :shobon:

My inlaws bought me (well, us) a Roku for xmas, it's worth it just for Pluto TV alone (yes i know i can watch that in browser too, but it's nice to not have to carry the laptop back and forth to the bedroom)

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Two is real bad, but keep going and you won't regret it.

The Rock doesn't show up until like 5 iirc.

I should have a Roku tomorrow too! The garbage mini pc that ran my bedroom tv started bluscreening as soon as it tries to boot windows.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

In better TV news, Netflix has renewed Dark. Which is good because the first season kind of ends on a cliffhanger (although you know the character has to get out of it okay due to time travel) but it would be nice to get some answers about what Claudia was up to.

whew, I'm relieved. I was a bit miffed that the show wasn't one self-contained season, and the finale raised more questions than it answered. I feel like it would be appropriate for it to run 3, and only 3 seasons, for REASONS.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Josh Lyman posted:

It's especially bullshit to call Dwayne Rock Johnson the "biggest star in the world" when you look at his Box Office performance. Four of his top five are Fast & Furious movies - a series he joined WELL after it had become successful - and the other is Disney's Moana. Looking at the back half of his top 10, two are films where he had supporting roles (Get Smart and The Other Guys.) It's slightly better when you look at his worldwide vs. domestic performance, but only just.

I don't think he's that big of a box office draw...and I hear about what a charismatic guy he is way more than I see it in action. The real person who needs to be making bank is Dwayne's agent/publicist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Dwayne Johnson is a goddamned savior and you will respect him.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

It's especially bullshit to call Dwayne Rock Johnson the "biggest star in the world" when you look at his Box Office performance. Four of his top five are Fast & Furious movies - a series he joined WELL after it had become successful - and the other is Disney's Moana. Looking at the back half of his top 10, two are films where he had supporting roles (Get Smart and The Other Guys.) It's slightly better when you look at his worldwide vs. domestic performance, but only just.

I don't think he's that big of a box office draw...and I hear about what a charismatic guy he is way more than I see it in action. The real person who needs to be making bank is Dwayne's agent/publicist.

He joined for Fast Five which was when it got huge and was WELL more successful than the previous films

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Vanderdeath posted:

Like, I don't know if this is a gimmick post or whatever but that was the joke. That was literally the joke. You got mad at the fact that a dude known for doing one of his signature things did his signature thing as a meta joke. Come on, son.

"Smolder? People's Eyebrow? It's the same face! Does anyone else see that?! I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!"

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wandle Cax posted:

He joined for Fast Five which was when it got huge and was WELL more successful than the previous films

Not because of him though. If you'd seen the movies you'd know that.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Wandle Cax posted:

The series was always pretty big, the only real stumble had been Tokyo Drift. Aside from that entry they were all $100m+ domestically; even the fourth movie made $155m in the US ($200m worldwide) against an $85m budget. I'd put the series' sudden worldwide jolt on the fact that from Fast Five onward they became exceptionally big, loud, exciting movies with 9-figure budgets, copious amounts of location filming and sprawling, multicultural casts before I would "oh, that's when Dwayne got in them."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Tokyo Drift is where the good franchise begins.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

IRQ posted:

Not because of him though. If you'd seen the movies you'd know that.

I've seen them all a few times and of course it's not all because of him no. He's definitely part of it though as part of the ensemble and adding his star power helped the series.

JethroMcB posted:

The series was always pretty big, the only real stumble had been Tokyo Drift. Aside from that entry they were all $100m+ domestically; even the fourth movie made $155m in the US ($200m worldwide) against an $85m budget. I'd put the series' sudden worldwide jolt on the fact that from Fast Five onward they became exceptionally big, loud, exciting movies with 9-figure budgets, copious amounts of location filming and sprawling, multicultural casts before I would "oh, that's when Dwayne got in them."

Bit more than a jolt, it went from a series doing about $200 million a movie to over a billion. There were lots of reasons for it though, yeah. Mostly the huge action and the whole cast I agree. Just a bit of a stretch to say it was a success before the Rock joined and he was jumping on an already huge thing

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Watched the first episode of Wormwood on Netflix and man it was weird.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rhyno posted:

Tokyo Drift is where the good franchise begins.

Seriously, Tokyo Drift is the best movie in the series.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

IRQ posted:

Seriously, Tokyo Drift is the best movie in the series.

If you could somehow use a time/space editing machine and insert the Rock into the role of Shaun, Tokyo Drift would become the highest grossing film of all time.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Tokyo Drift is the one where a guy that looks 40 is playing a high school teen, right?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just watched the ‘Eulogy’ episode of Better Things, and wow it is one of the best episodes of television I’ve seen this year. I’m glad I waited to do my top 10.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mu Zeta posted:

Tokyo Drift is the one where a guy that looks 40 is playing a high school teen, right?

You mean Zachary Ty Bryan, the oldest child from Home Improvement right?

He and Lucas Black were both 25ish when TD was shot

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
And then in furious 7, Lucas Black goes from an old looking teenager to a 40 year old man in the space of about 2 minutes of talking to Vin diesel

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wandle Cax posted:

And then in furious 7, Lucas Black goes from an old looking teenager to a 40 year old man in the space of about 2 minutes of talking to Vin diesel

That race was pretty harrowing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Y'all forgetting The Rock's greatest role, in Southland Tales

"I'm a pimp. And pimps don't commit suicide."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

The Rundown is a pretty dece hangover movie