Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Ring-a-ding-ding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Throw the water!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Where's everyone going? Bingo?

(The bell!)

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You pull down on the rotten rope. It breaks off in your hands!

"No bell tolls for us! No bell tolls for us! No bell tolls for us!" The ghostly, hooded robed monks chant solemnly. They've made it to the bell tower where you are!

Abbey and Kip reach their hands out to you. "Join us," they drone. "Be one with us. No bell tolls for us. No bell tolls for us."

"Abbey! Kip!" you plead with them. "Don't fade! Don't fade!"

It's no use. Your cousins' faces are getting fainter and fainter. The chanting of the monks echoes in your ears. "No bell tolls for us. No bell tolls for us. No bell tolls for us."

You know you have to escape from here before it's too late.

quote:

"No bell tolls for us. No bell tolls for us. No bell tolls for us." Kip's and Abbey's voices rise above the others.

You gaze into their transparent eyes and catch a glimpse of your own reflection.

Under the hood of your robe there's NO FACE AT ALL!

"No bell tolls for us! No bell tolls for us!" you hear yourself say. "No bell tolls for us."

Face it - you're a dead ringer until

THE END

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Silver Key

Goal Endings: 0/1

Bad Endings
Turned into one of the Evil Knight's servants.
Trapped in a wall of mud by the Mud Slingers.
Thrown off a mountain and turned to stone.
Turned into a flower by a three-headed man.
Fused with Kip and Abbey into a three-headed monster.
:siren:Forcibly inducted into an order of ghost-monks.:siren:

Achievements
Rage from a Page: Wasted time on the most pointless fourth-wall reference ever.
:siren:I Meant To Do That: Encountered a total of 100 bad endings.:siren:

Our options posted:

• Press X to not die.
  • Follow the right pixie.
  • Try to find our way out of the maze.
  • Go back into the maze.
  • Throw the liquid at the ghost-monks.

Rebonack7 fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Dec 19, 2017

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

We may not have salt but hopefully splashing the liquid we have at them will do.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Ok, fine. We'll throw tangible liquid at intangible monks.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That was dumb. This book is dumb.

Seek a way out, because I've kind of got a thing going at this point. Hooray democracy!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
Throw the liquid

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~
Why didn’t we just take off the robe.

Leraika posted:

That was dumb. This book is dumb.

Seek a way out, because I've kind of got a thing going at this point. Hooray democracy!

let’s do this.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I remember getting this ending as a kid and finding it confusing, but also scary.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

*Nathan drake voice* monk got wet!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

You let go of the rope and rush over to the kettle. If you can only lift it, you could throw the liquid on the ghosts. That should scatter them.

The hooded robed figures make their way up the steps. They're getting closer! You're getting frantic. You strain against the handle of the kettle with all your strength. It budges a little and some of the liquid sloshes onto the stone floor. It pools around your foot. And you SLIP!

You fall back, arms flailing. You knock against the bell. BONG! BONG! BONG! BONG! the bell tolls.

The monks' chant changes: "The bell tolls for us! The bell tolls for us! The bell tolls for us!" One by one the hooded figures slump to the floor of the bell tower. Soon they are nothing more than a pile of empty robes in a heap at your feet.

BONG! BONG! BONG! You push the bell again. Kip and Abbey pull off their hoods. "You saved us!" Kip cries gratefully.

"And those stupid ghosts are gone for good!" Abbey adds. "Can you believe those monks? Get a life. I mean, get a death."

You breathe a sigh of relief. "We're safe now," you say. All is still - all except the flashing eyes on the other side of the courtyard.

"Uh-oh," you say. "Those eyes can only mean one thing."

quote:

The flashing eyes across the courtyard could only be one thing. The eyes of the Knight in Screaming Armor.

"We can't escape from him," Abbey sighs. "It's no use trying anymore. He brought us here. This is his world."

"He must want something from us, otherwise he would have destroyed us by now," you point out.

"He's only toying with us," Abbey says bitterly. "Like a cat plays with its food."

"It's as if he's using our fear of him to make us face all other possible fears," Kip whispers mysteriously.

Abbey gives Kip a double take. "Face other fears? That's ridiculous!" she says. "I'm afraid of flying, but you don't see him making me fly."

A strong gust of wind blows through the bell tower and rings the bell. BONG! BONG! BONG! You clap your hands over your ears. Kip dives for the pile of monks' robes. Abbey jumps back and slams against the crumbling wall. The wall gives way behind her. "Help me! I'm fffff... flying!"

Abbey soars higher and higher. Until she's out of sight.

"Abbey!" Kip cries. "Come back!"

If she doesn't come back, soar to PAGE 92.

If she returns in a flash, zoom to PAGE 102.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Silver Key

Bad Endings
Forcibly inducted into an order of ghost-monks.

Achievements
I Meant To Do That: Encountered a total of 100 bad endings.

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Abbey died on the way back to her home planet.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

So we rang the bell in the option not to ring the bell?

:psyduck:

Bye, Abbey!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

How did she get back here??

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Why is this book such a big fan of giving you choices that your character shouldn't be able to choose between?

And they never saw her again

PZ Smeltzenseltzer
Feb 3, 2008

fortran
~*with style*~

quote:

Abbey gives Kip a double take. "Face other fears? That's ridiculous!" she says. "I'm afraid of flying, but you don't see him making me fly."

Someone tell the Evil Knight that we’re afraid of the Goal Ending

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose
I guess Abbey comes back? That seems less likely to be a trap, maybe?

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Abby somehow teleports back

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PZ Smeltzenseltzer posted:

Someone tell the Evil Knight that we’re afraid of the Goal Ending

I was thinking beer and intimacy, myself.

Anyway, um, she comes back. Somehow.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

She's gone.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Bye, bitch!

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

"Kip! Kip!" Abbey's voice is so far away now, you can hardly hear her.

"Wow! She's really flying!" you say in amazement. "You must be right about the fear thing, Kip."

"Come back!" Kip calls up to the night sky.

But Abbey's growing smaller and smaller against the night sky. And in another moment, she's gone. You almost can't believe it. Just like that. Gone.

Kip starts to sob.

You try to be brave. "We'll find her again. I know we will," you say. "We've come this far together. Through all this craziness."

A low growl from the stone stairs lets you know there's more craziness to come. "Who's there?" you demand.

"Aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!" The Evil Knight's scream echoes out across the courtyard.

The growl on the stairs turns to a howl answering the scream of the Knight! Then, a huge, black cat-like creature with yellow eyes appears around the bend in the stairs.

"Kip. Over there," you say as quietly as you can.

quote:

Kip turns and sees the beast creeping up the stairs. "Stay still and maybe it won't see us," you whisper.

Slowly, you and Kip press yourselves into a corner of the bell tower and watch the beast. You've never seen anything like it.

It's as large as the biggest lion and as black as night. It has short ears set back on a small dog-like head. A long, swishing tail hits the crumbling wall, knocking stones to the ground.

The beast growls. Rows of shiny white teeth drip with saliva. It turns its fierce eyes in your direction. It sniffs the air. It smells you! A long red tongue licks its drooling black lips. It sees you!

"It's going to pounce!" you cry.

The beast jumps for you, but you jump too. Right over the wall of the bell tower with Kip right behind you!

"Oh, nooooooooo!" you both scream on your way down.

"Aawwk! Aawwk!" you hear. A giant nighthawk passes you as you fall. "Aawwk!" the bird squawks again as it swoops down beneath your falling bodies.

quote:

You're falling fast, but not fast enough to escape hot drool dripping from the beast's mouth. The beast leans over the edge of the bell tower wall. You get a faceful of steaming spit. Before the next big loogie hits you, the giant nighthawk flies under you and Kip. It catches you on its back and swoops upward.

You don't know where this black bird of night is taking you. As you look back at the beast you know one thing for sure: Wherever you're going has got to be better than where you've just been!

If the bird turns left, turn to PAGE 115.

If the bird turns right, turn to PAGE 53.

If the rescue mission takes a turn for the worse, turn to PAGE 74.

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Silver Key

Bad Endings

Achievements

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005
This isn't a CYOA, it's a trainride through a haunted house.
The choices don't matter, the scary things aren't even obstacles, they just go BOOGA BOOGA as you pass them by.
Surely there can't be much of this left.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Worse! Worse!

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Go left!

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
This book just keeps getting worse.

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Worse sure is a direction.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

:goleft:

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

quote:

What began as a rescue mission is now a mission to destroy you. The giant black nighthawk zooms upward.

"Hang on!" you shout to Kip. He clings to one slick black feather sticking out from the bird's back.

The hawk swoops down suddenly. It's trying to shake you off! You fly out to the side of the wings and your body flaps freely in the wind. "Whoooaaaa!" you yell.

This roller-coaster bird ride is making your stomach do flip-flops. Kip looks just as airsick as you feel. But it's not over yet. Now the hawk does loop-the-loops until at last you can;t hold on any longer.

You let go. "Good-bye, Kip!" you call out as you start free-falling! "Good-by-y-y-y-y-y-y-e-e-e-e-e-e-e-e."

quote:

You're alone and still falling. It began as a fast fall. But now it's more like you're floating gently. You look up and barely see the black nighthawk. Kip managed to stay on the bird. Will you ever see Kip and Abbey again?

Below, you see emerald-green grass. It's getting closer and closer. You can tell your landing isn't going to be deadly, though. The grass will make a soft cushion for your fall.

You float down, settling at last on a moss-covered knoll - right in front of a familiar cottage!

The front door opens. A voice whispers, "Come in. You are so good to visit me."

quote:

The voice is soft. "Come in," it says again. You stand up, feeling dizzy from floating. You fall forward toward the door. You're in. The door closes softly behind you. You breathe a sigh of relief until a steel barred gate CRASHES down over the door!

"AAAAAaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!" the scream of the Evil Knight rings out. "WELCOME TO MY KNIGHT-MARE!" he bellows.

You turn your head left, then right. "This isn't a cottage!" you cry. "It's a dungeon!"

Giant black rats scurry over your feet. Long-haired poisonous spiders scamper across their webs to hang down in your face. Heads without bodies float through the air. Clocks without hands scream out "Cuckoo cuckoo!" A Mud Slinging monster throws a glob of gooey stuff at you. You duck just in time. THWACK! It splatters against a stone wall.

Lightning bolts zap and zzzzttt in the air above you. Vampire bats fly blindly through the iron bars of the gate behind you. Not, this is not a cottage. This is a Den of Danger! A Hall of Horrors! An Alcove of Evil! The Final Frontier!

quote:

It's a Dorm of Doom, and you're the only student. A ghastly light shines from somewhere above you. The yellow glow reveals a throne. On the throne is a woman. She smiles. "Are you the mighty Saxton who will fight for right?" she asks.

"Me? I-I-I'm j-j-j-just a k-k-kid," you stammer.

"PUT ON THE ARMOR!" the woman bellows.

You feel something hard against your back. You turn and come face-to-face with a shining suit of silver armor. You gasp. One steely-gloved hand holds a battle-ax. The other hand holds a shield engraved with the Saxton family crest.

Magically, the armor pops open. You don't know what else to do, so you step in. It closes in around you.

You feel taller and stronger than you've ever felt before. The battle-ax feels like a feather in your armored, gloved hand. You look out from the silver face mask. The woman on the throne starts to laugh.

"Yes, yes," she cackles. "That is the way Sir Edmund looked when he got what he deserved. And I'm the one who GAVE IT TO HIM! I'm the SORCERESS!"

If you feel ready for battle, turn to PAGE 80.

If you don't think you're ready, turn to PAGE 64.

Well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is that choosing the first option here takes us to the goal ending. The bad news: I'm not letting you escape quite so easily.

You see, the reason this book only has one goal ending is because both the Good Knight and Evil Knight paths eventually lead to the same ending. And since we wouldn't be getting the full Knight in Screaming Armor experience without exploring both paths, I'm going to make you reach the goal ending from the Good Knight path before we move on to the next book! Brace yourselves, because the Evil Knight still has plenty of nonsensical tricks up his metal sleeve!

Character Sheet posted:

Inventory
Silver Key

:siren:Goal Endings: 0.5/1:siren:

Bad Endings

Achievements

Our options posted:

• Press X to not die.
  • Follow the right pixie.
  • Try to find our way out of the maze.
  • Go back into the maze.
  • Say Abbey comes back right away.
  • Turn left on the giant bird.
  • Turn right on the giant bird.
  • Say we aren't ready to fight the Knight.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You're a loving monster

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Well then gently caress you, I'm not ready yet.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

fine then. jerk.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Round One. Fight!

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls
You fucker

Not ready

PumpkinBat
Oct 22, 2012
The true enemy was you all along.

We are not ready. You do realize I have a cousin named Kip that would do just as nicely?

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

We're pressing X

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

Pillbug
Press X.

Rebonack7
Aug 27, 2015

Next vote for not being ready or not dying to the Mud Slingers takes it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost
Press X!