Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I really want a Fallout New Vegas port. Skyrim is nice, but I wanna go shooty with a robot dog at my side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Okay thread. Is sonic worth it?

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

LionArcher posted:

Mania, yes.

Forces, noooooooo.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Forces is good for your inner 12-year old.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
So it's total poo poo is what you're saying

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I got Forces for free and I paid too much

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Tempura Wizard posted:

Mania, yes.

Forces, noooooooo.

forces yes, mania no

:getin:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kaubocks posted:

forces yes, mania no

:getin:

Acknowledging everything wrong with it on a fundamental level, I have actually enjoyed Forces more than Mania. Yes, I know.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I tried playing the old sonic games at one point and I thought they had annoying janky physics

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Disgaea 5 or Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Is one more kid-friendly than the other? I'd be playing with my kids watching alongside, maybe sometimes letting my daughter take the reins depending on her interest.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Laterite posted:

Disgaea 5 or Xenoblade Chronicles 2? Is one more kid-friendly than the other? I'd be playing with my kids watching alongside, maybe sometimes letting my daughter take the reins depending on her interest.

How do you feel about big tits.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
The tonal whiplash in the first few stages of Sonic Forces is so, so great.

First stage, Sonic is zipping around Green Hill Zone, which is suddenly covered in desert for some reason, so he says "GREEN HILL LOOKS MORE LIKE SAND HILL THESE DAYS" which is just such a good line
Then he shows up to a war zone in a city, where Robotnik and a bunch of meaningless Sonic side characters defeat him and he's knocked out.

The screen goes black, and it says "With Sonic defeated, Robotnik's forces complete their takeover" or whatever, and then the next cutscene is six months later, where a resistance group of Knuckles and Amy and some dumb poo poo alligator and bee are all like "I CAN'T BELIEVE SONIC IS DEAD. HE'S GONE FOREVER. DEAD. OH LOOK A NEW RECRUIT, A SURVIVOR FROM THE CITY" because Robotnik is apparently just straight killing by the thousands at this point. Your dumb OC walks in (and you pick a voice for him/her, and then apparently never say anything in any cutscene, which is brilliant) and everybody is like "wow hey man! Welcome to team Soni-- oh noo, Sonic is dead! And Tails has completely lost his mind!" and then ONE STAGE LATER you receive word that Sonic is actually alive and in captivity!

They then make a big deal about the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog has been getting tortured for six months and that you need to rescue him. They mention the torture several times. Knuckles says "There's nothing good about it, Vector. That's why it's called 'war.'" which is the most laughably faux-profound dialogue a red echidna could possibly say. And then when you break Sonic out of his tortue cell, he's COMPLETELY FINE and is all like "whoa hey! i'm gonna kick your big ro-butt, give me a chili dog!!!!"

The game is phenomenal and I hate it so much

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think Xenoblade has more anime titties if that's the kind of child-friendly you're more worried about. Disgaea doesn't have none though, but they're usually less front-and-center.

The later Disgaeas all blend together to me but I think the story is pretty kid-friendly. It's a turn-based game so that seems pretty good for controller-sharing

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CharlestheHammer posted:

How do you feel about big tits.

With your hands

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Laterite posted:

Are these really your only two choices?

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I was skeptical of playing with detached joycons, but last night I tried it and one of my cats wanted to hang out with me while I laid on the couch. She decided to lay exactly where I'd rest a controller and I instantly realized I have taken gaming while a cat uses me as a bed to a whole new level.

The Switch is very cat friendly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

With your hands

But do they have HD rumble?

Akarshi
Apr 23, 2011

Laterite posted:

I've played a few Disgaea games (1 and 2, specifically) and I find that they're a lot more...anime in regards to it's tone and jokes. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a very PS2-era JRPG plot, and is kid friendly other than a few unfortunate Blade designs. Nothing untoward in terms of the story and sidequests I've played, there could be some awful bits that I just haven't seen but I'd doubt it. XB2 is probably also more entertaining to watch since you're running around a large and varied world with good set design.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Mega64 posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

cheetah7071 posted:

I think Xenoblade has more anime titties if that's the kind of child-friendly you're more worried about. Disgaea doesn't have none though, but they're usually less front-and-center.

The later Disgaeas all blend together to me but I think the story is pretty kid-friendly. It's a turn-based game so that seems pretty good for controller-sharing

That was why I ask, both games have kid friendly stories but if big tits are a solid no then neither game will work.

Gameplay wise I think a kid would like Xenoblade more tho.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Re: axiom verge
Its a good one man project game but theres way better games in that genre. Too many stupid decisions drag it down.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Larrymer posted:

Also yes, xenoblade absolutely feels like a Saturday morning cartoon so that's prob your best bet

Just uhh don't trip if your kid develops a hentai fetish, pyra is such a generic nerd fantasy FEMALE character and it's lame

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 20, 2017

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

KingSlime posted:

Also yes, xenoblade absolutely feels like a Saturday morning cartoon

I used to wish april oneal would dress like some o these characters when i was 10

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

$60 well spent.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Xenoblade 2 has the general tone of a PG-rated adventure movie, there are a couple mildly lewd scenes and the dialogue does contain occasional curse words if you care about that but it's fairly wholesome overall

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Real hurthling! posted:

I used to wish april oneal would dress like some o these characters when i was 10

What you don't think bright yellow raincoats are the epitome of tease??

Just what exactly is going on down there? Cowabunga dudes, etc

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Mega64 posted:

supposedly in senran kagura yea

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Larrymer posted:

Literally my only two choices? Of course not. I'm comparing each one because I want to play a JRPG alongside my kids, particularly my daughter as she loves the art style. They are both well-rated and seem good in different ways, though Xenoblade looks like it has more dynamic gameplay and a richer environment. Disgaea looks like more of the classic turn-based approach which can still be fun if it's implemented well. Anime titties aren't a problem in and of themselves, I'm not a prude, I just want to know whether they are front and center, so to speak.

Tales of Woe posted:

Xenoblade 2 has the general tone of a PG-rated adventure movie, there are a couple mildly lewd scenes and the dialogue does contain occasional curse words if you care about that but it's fairly wholesome overall

Hm, thank you!

Akarshi posted:

I've played a few Disgaea games (1 and 2, specifically) and I find that they're a lot more...anime in regards to it's tone and jokes. Xenoblade Chronicles 2 has a very PS2-era JRPG plot, and is kid friendly other than a few unfortunate Blade designs. Nothing untoward in terms of the story and sidequests I've played, there could be some awful bits that I just haven't seen but I'd doubt it. XB2 is probably also more entertaining to watch since you're running around a large and varied world with good set design.

Thanks, that's the impression I've gathered.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

ALFbrot posted:

The tonal whiplash in the first few stages of Sonic Forces is so, so great.

First stage, Sonic is zipping around Green Hill Zone, which is suddenly covered in desert for some reason, so he says "GREEN HILL LOOKS MORE LIKE SAND HILL THESE DAYS" which is just such a good line
Then he shows up to a war zone in a city, where Robotnik and a bunch of meaningless Sonic side characters defeat him and he's knocked out.

The screen goes black, and it says "With Sonic defeated, Robotnik's forces complete their takeover" or whatever, and then the next cutscene is six months later, where a resistance group of Knuckles and Amy and some dumb poo poo alligator and bee are all like "I CAN'T BELIEVE SONIC IS DEAD. HE'S GONE FOREVER. DEAD. OH LOOK A NEW RECRUIT, A SURVIVOR FROM THE CITY" because Robotnik is apparently just straight killing by the thousands at this point. Your dumb OC walks in (and you pick a voice for him/her, and then apparently never say anything in any cutscene, which is brilliant) and everybody is like "wow hey man! Welcome to team Soni-- oh noo, Sonic is dead! And Tails has completely lost his mind!" and then ONE STAGE LATER you receive word that Sonic is actually alive and in captivity!

They then make a big deal about the fact that Sonic the Hedgehog has been getting tortured for six months and that you need to rescue him. They mention the torture several times. Knuckles says "There's nothing good about it, Vector. That's why it's called 'war.'" which is the most laughably faux-profound dialogue a red echidna could possibly say. And then when you break Sonic out of his tortue cell, he's COMPLETELY FINE and is all like "whoa hey! i'm gonna kick your big ro-butt, give me a chili dog!!!!"

The game is phenomenal and I hate it so much

This is 100% how I feel about it. I actually laughed for a good few seconds at Knuckles's war line.

I also love the first Infinite fight where if you get hit by his glowing red rectangles, everything turns into a nightmare world of spikes with a red overlay and muffled sounds. Like, everything about it is just so... juvenile, for lack of a better term, and it's just so stupidly endearing for that reason.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

LionArcher posted:

It's okay but, that largely depends on your tolerance for Modern Sonic games. The levels are short which is meh, avatar creation stuff is surprisingly fun, music is great, some lazy asset re-usage but generally the levels are pretty fun. No one likes it better than other Modern Sonics, but it's decently fun in it's own right

Most of this doesn't really happen in the later 9/10's of the game, tbf. The story has some lol edgy things in the beginning but it never dwells on them and it just moves on to more standard Sonic fare.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

KingSlime posted:

Also yes, xenoblade absolutely feels like a Saturday morning cartoon so that's prob your best bet

Totally Spies maybe

TheComicFiend
Oct 4, 2013

Let's Survive
Can confirm that Crawl is really meant to be played with other people. Went through the tutorial and some levels but I need friends to grief in order to enjoy this.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
The VAs definitely add a lot of charm to an otherwise generic and cliche plot in XB2

"Koom out koom out wereva you arr"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Tales of Woe posted:

Kids in america wont know what shite or arseholes are anyway

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Real hurthling! posted:

Kids in america wont know what shite or arseholes are anyway

Well one character does tell another to go die in a fire.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Which is fairly tame as far as schoolyard insults go to be fair

Kids are vicious little shits

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Sakurazuka posted:

Totally Spies maybe

You gonna see the 2009 movie when it hits theaters?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CharlestheHammer posted:

Well one character does tell another to go die in a fire.

Lol yeah

I just got to chapter 9 last night and the game is not going how i thought it would go or really how i wanted it to go but its still good enough to finish.

I'd like to see monolith soft do a harder scifi setting at some point and get away from the wishywashy spiritualism they like but i guess they go with what they know

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The only voice acting in XB2 I can't stand is Tora's "MEH MEH MEH" every four loving seconds during combat. It doesn't bother me nearly as much during dialogue, but having to hear that same annoying clip over and over during the all-too-long fights makes me want to hammer a nail into my ear.

And there's no way to turn off the combat vocalizations without turning off all non-cutscene voice. There's an audio setting that sounds like it's just for combat, but it rather frustratingly only applies to the narrator for things like rating your special attack performance.

It's bad enough that I stopped using Tora even though he's still the best tank I have by far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I don't get why Nopon speak like that in English and not in Japanese. Really strange localization decision.

• Locked thread