Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

SubponticatePoster posted:

That's actually fairly normal for Chows. They were originally bred as guard dogs so they can be really standoffish with strangers.

Then they should not be so floofy and awesome and irresistable :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm so glad I talked myself out of getting a Chow - I'm not an experienced dog owner, and I would be useless in the face of guard behavior, which is a bad thing because I live with my folks and they love having friends over often. And I like taking my dog to parks, and so on...

Fortunately I have the best dog instead! He loves people and being cute and taking me on infinite walks. :D

Cute thread content: Apollo noticed me taking a picture of him on his bed and wanted to come check me out, but bounding through the snow is a lot of work... (these two shots were taken like a minute apart)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

And for the folks in the thread who are sick of dogchat...

https://twitter.com/CuriousZelda/status/943494127601291264

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Huskies seem to be in a constant state of YELLING

Silly things.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I was thinking last night about the Maremmas used to protect small endangered penguins living on a tiny island off of Australia.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

IMJack posted:

I was thinking last night about the Maremmas used to protect small endangered penguins living on a tiny island off of Australia.

There was a case of guard dogs being retired because they kept eating their endangered wards and I think this was actually it

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Such grace and elegance

Night10194 posted:

Silly things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KQZ102OoJ4

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"work" dog

Chopstix
Nov 20, 2002

You call that a yelling husky?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_CUrv0aezI

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Pawlitics: https://www.ksl.com/?sid=46220810&nid=148&title=tail-to-the-chief-newest-county-mayor-shows-paw-tential

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

What are you talking about? He's clearly on top of his workload.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

Edit ^^^ I love when cats get to a point where they mess up but don't panic about it. Just a "Yes, this is happening now" sort of resignation and mild indignation.

My favorite talkative dog video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_3WQYyy7nA

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/juoku_k/status/943331260096585730

borb

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Update:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eo-L_3OWAQ

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/LisaAbeyta/status/942479048684400640

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I hope that one day I reach the level of zen that this cat has reached

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/videocats/status/943643635052109824

I cant believe that cat is made of rock or steel.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Facebook Aunt posted:

(macro photos of kitties)

This, this is good.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Those are all beautiful photos but goddamn cat tongues are weird.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/Satar_Gaza/status/943350444046340097

The comments are all arguments over if the photos/stories are real or not but listen: it doesn't matter. It's cute.

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !

1stGear posted:

Those are all beautiful photos but goddamn cat tongues are weird.

It's pretty disturbing when you get a closeup of a tiger's tongue, those barbs are huge.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Night10194 posted:

Silly things.
This video came up on Tumblr, and somebody pointed out that huskies and border collies are so terribly dramatic because they're smart enough to develop neuroses and anxiety, just like two-year olds.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

darthbob88 posted:

This video came up on Tumblr, and somebody pointed out that huskies and border collies are so terribly dramatic because they're smart enough to develop neuroses and anxiety, just like two-year olds.

As someone who suffers from anxiety issues, this makes me feel bad for the poor dogs.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekNUgzfhUm8&t=13s

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Night10194 posted:

As someone who suffers from anxiety issues, this makes me feel bad for the poor dogs.

They need hugs even more than normal dogs do.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Management dog

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
Talking to my realtor tomorrow to sign a contract on a house.

Do you know what this means, cute thread? The implications?

...I can get a dog.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

darthbob88 posted:

I've had two border collies and while I've been blessed in that they've both been extremely chill border collies (my last one was a completely great apartment dog), they absolutely still developed neuroses about the weirdest things.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

JackMann posted:

Talking to my realtor tomorrow to sign a contract on a house.

Do you know what this means, cute thread? The implications?

...I can get a dog.

Get two dogs

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Adopt some cats too.

Maybe a goat? Goats are cool. Free* lawn trimmer.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib
I already have two very cute cats. But I haven't had a dog in over ten years, and I miss having a pupper around.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

:justpost: pictures of your cats while we wait for you to get your pupper :cheerdoge:

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Night10194 posted:

That doesn't mean that any husky acting silly is anxious. They're also weird dogs in general.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Fallen Rib

Helith posted:

:justpost: pictures of your cats while we wait for you to get your pupper :cheerdoge:

I've posted some here before, but I never get tired of sharing my little girls.

Here's a picture of both of them in my kitchen. Jessie is the abyssinian and Esme is the black girl in the sink.

Jessie likes to wait for me to come home. I've had Jessie for longer than I've had Esme, so I have more pictures of her. For now, at least.

Here's a picture of Jessie wondering why I'm not petting her (I petted her right after taking the picture, don't worry). She's very social. She's not particularly shy, and will meow at anyone who looks like they might be able to pet her. She's not terribly fond of strange cats. She used to try to get into my parents' bedroom to attack their cats. She was declawed by a previous owner and is significantly smaller than them, but she still managed to terrorize them.

This is a picture of Jessie with her brother Rocky. I lost Rocky about a year-and-a-half ago. He was basically the sweetest cat ever. He loved everyone. If I had guests over, he'd climb into their laps and demand belly rubs. He loved other cats. When I fostered a kitten, he took right to it and treated it like his own baby. He's very much missed.

Here's a picture of Jessie in a shark costume. She thought this was less cute than I did.

She was also not entirely into the Wonder Woman costume I got her.

This is Esme. I got her about a year-and-a-half ago after I lost Rocky. She's a very sweet cat. However, she's also much less confident than Jessie, and it took a lot of work to get her to feel safe around me. She didn't leave my kitchen for weeks after I got her because she was scared of encountering Jessie. She stayed either in a little cupboard or on top of the fridge, where Jessie didn't like to go.

Gradually, Esme became much more comfortable. She started to explore the house more. She likes to perch on the cat tree and sharpen her claws on it. Unlike Jessie, she has a full, functional set, but she's still terrified of of the cat that's about 3/4 her size (8 lbs vs. 12 lbs). She loves to play and chomp me. I do not mind being chomped. She's still more nervous than Jessie. She doesn't like being picked up and she gets scared if she thinks she's backed into a corner. I don't dress her up like I do Jessie because it would be more stressful for her, where Jessie just gets mildly annoyed with me (and demands snuggles in compensation).

Here they are at the vet. Jessie is in excellent health. Esme has a viral infection that makes her eyes look the way they do. There's not really any treatment for it, but she still has good quality of life. She basically gets the sniffles a lot and her eyesight isn't as great as it could be. But she's happy, and I love her.

I'm hoping to get a dog with a nice, generally calm disposition that will do well with them. A yellow lab or a golden retriever would be pretty good. I'll see what's at the shelter, though, or maybe look into rescue groups.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Nice giant rat

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yay! Magnificent cattes 12/10!

I adore black cats so good on you for giving Esme a great home and Jessie is a very beautiful cat, love her colouring.

A pupper will round out your family beautifully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
I know that, if you're a pupper owner who has to leave said pupper alone in the house for extended periods of time (work, etc), it's recommended that you get a second pupper so they won't be alone, but does that companionship also extend to cats? Is a cat/pupps companionship as healthy as a double doggo dreamteam?