Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
just get a few cans of flex seal it's like $20 a can

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Wouldn't the bilge pump be able to handle that poo poo anyway?

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 14:20 on Dec 20, 2017

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Yeah, but the seal isn't working as intended. So get that poo poo fixed under warranty.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Speaking of jumping over cars, there was a dude on a a huge German live TV show about dares/bets that was due to set a record for most cars somersaulted on risers in 3 minutes or something, while the cars got increasingly larger. The cars were a Smart, a Mini, a Ford Focus, an Audi A8, and a BMW X3. At this point, it would be worth mentioning that the contestant, Samuel Koch, had initially pitched jumping over a rolling shopping cart, a dude on a bike or something, and finally a Smart car. However, due to the way that the show's editors run their operation, different kinds of bets and their variations are pitched to them in portfolios, and they have the final say.

The stunt agency of Koch told the show to shove it up their rear end when they suggested "How about he jumps over ten cars that continuously get larger?", but Koch was baited into satisfying their dumb demands. Even when they came up with car suggestions like the Audi Q7 (because Audi was the vehicle sponsor of the show), he didn't tell them to gently caress off like he should have, but tried to accommodate them. His preferred requirements were poo poo like hatchbacks, possibly an Audi A3, due to the way he needed to land, so naturally, they went with an Audi A8, the loving longest car they could possibly find. They didn't just go with the longest car they could find, which would have been the old A8 variant, but went with the longest derivative of the series, the only recently introduced A8, which was yet another 8 inches longer. But hey, gotta cradle some balls to make it, right?

His first jump was over a Smart and successful, the second jump over a Mini was aborted. Third jump over a Ford Focus (?) almost went sour but he still made it. The fourth car was the aforementioned Audi A8.

Driven by his father, no less.

Behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv06cMww1Ls&t=317s

Dude ended up quadriplegic.

Schadenfreude in this case is that the show host quit the following year, and the most successful German TV show in history tanked and got canceled within the next 3 years, so at least the producers' greed wasn't rewarded. They did, however, manage to absolve themselves of all guilt, commissioning accident investigations that said "Oh, dude, it was totally the guy's fault, he jumped off wonkily, brah. You guys bugging him to jump over the longest loving luxury sedan on the market had nothing to do with it."

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure a good reason those would be made mandatory is to force truck companies to stop exploiting the drivers so hard and making them endanger themselves and everyone else on the road or be fired and replaced with someone who will.

Last night I drove past a semi parked on the highway that looked like it was getting a welding job on it's tires. Got closer and nope. The right rear cab tires were on fire. Amazing sparking fire.

Later found out e-logs caused the fire because the truck driver drove 3 inches too far. Also, elogs then raped the driver.

True story.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/Delta/status/943313216540614656

:itwaspoo:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

This is fake and viral

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's not a lot, considering. A hundred-dollar bilge pump can remove thousands of litres per hour.

e: A few guys with a hand pump would be enough, actually.

Still pretty embarrassing because they knew and tried to hide it. Also, it's a major prestige project that just wasted billions in tax payer dollars and is about to waste more because :lol: if you believe their bullshit line about "repair is paid for by the contractors".

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

KoRMaK posted:

This is fake and viral

Nahh man, truckers do some weird poo poo sometimes. When I worked retail I remember one time waking a trucker up who had parked at the dock sometime before we all got there to unload the truck and he jumped out buck naked except for cowboy boots and a hat. He didn't really understand why everyone recoiled. Drugs are a crazy thing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Croatoan posted:

Nahh man, truckers do some weird poo poo sometimes. When I worked retail I remember one time waking a trucker up who had parked at the dock sometime before we all got there to unload the truck and he jumped out buck naked except for cowboy boots and a hat. He didn't really understand why everyone recoiled. Drugs are a crazy thing.

Simpler explanation is its not a trucker, that is a worker for the facility in a switcher, likely the normal person called off or something and its their first time having to slide a trailer between 2 others, not just slapping a trailer on a door with nothing around it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

200 liters an hour is a pretty small leak, and stuffing box leaks are not at all uncommon.

This couldn't make me happier, unless it involved a fire:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/obituaries/cardinal-bernard-law-dead.html

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Oh I'm sure there will be fire involved. Probably a lake of it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Croatoan posted:

When I worked in a warehouse we had truckers come in all the time who would use our bathroom after loading or unloading our poo poo. This did not stop many them from deciding the side of our building or the pile of pallets was a good place to piss.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Phanatic posted:

200 liters an hour is a pretty small leak, and stuffing box leaks are not at all uncommon.

This couldn't make me happier, unless it involved a fire:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/19/obituaries/cardinal-bernard-law-dead.html

Now we'll discover all the children raping rings he had

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

orange sky posted:

Are these like lucky decoder rings you get in cracker jack boxes, only in this case they come from other ( higher ranked) pedophiles?

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/classiclib3ral/status/943531128421576704

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

dog nougat posted:

I'd hope so, you'd think that ice climbing has a pretty high skill level necessary to get started. The dude who fell end up alright or nah?

He was unbelievably fine. Walked away and was back at it the next day. If he had been roped in he likely would have been crushed but he was free climbing and that is what probably saved him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQByrChFhZQ

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Picnic Princess posted:

He was unbelievably fine. Walked away and was back at it the next day. If he had been roped in he likely would have been crushed but he was free climbing and that is what probably saved him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQByrChFhZQ

See this is why u shouldn't wear seatbelts

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Phanatic posted:

in fact certain types of stuffing boxes are designed to leak small amounts of water

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 11 days!

The Lone Badger posted:

But how do you give a robot meth?

With bitcoin?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

If I recall the major fuckup was that they used a different much more powerful gun on the live attempt because a bullet is a bullet right?

I still say this was an elaborate suicide on the guy's part, but he didn't have the nerve to do it himself and instead tricked the girl into killing him.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
https://i.imgur.com/tDTDW1I.mp4

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Insider trading comes to Bitcoin:

https://twitter.com/NoTimeToSearch/status/943286155864309761

https://blog.gdax.com/bitcoin-cash-trading-update-70c17e3dc916

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Coinbase has suspended trading of Bitcoin Cash pending investigation.

A sure hallmark of stable currency: it gets its use suspended because of a criminal investigation.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Coinbase has suspended trading of Bitcoin Cash pending investigation.

A sure hallmark of stable currency: it gets its use suspended because of a criminal investigation.

So I could understand terminating employees that took part, though I have a hard time grasping what criminal charges could be brought against them. Isn't that the beauty of being free from government controls?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phuzun posted:

So I could understand terminating employees that took part, though I have a hard time grasping what criminal charges could be brought against them. Isn't that the beauty of being free from government controls?

I think you've finally found the one problem with Bitcoin.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
..... ____ did nothing wrong....

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
"government regulations suck!" -sheltered idiots who don't "get" game theory, or the very nature of the reality we inhabit for that matter

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/HcRCLeG.gifv

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Longfin Corp bought a blockchain company, and the CEO went on CNBC to discuss crypto and his company.

Edit: further information copy paste: Longfin (symbol LFIN) just went public and started trading last week. Their IPO price was $5 per share. Right after they went public, they announced they were buying ziddu.com which does something with blockchain and this set off a mania in the stock. It reached as high as $142 per share which made the value of this very small company be worth something like 6 or 7 billion dollars. Crazy poo poo like this happens from time to time in the stock market, and there may have been some boiler-room shenanigans as well, but bitcoin mania is probably the main reason for this ridiculous stock price move. The CEO came on CNBC to say that none of the stock price's rocket ride made any fundamental sense; in other words, he was trying to tell folks his company was not worth billions and that anybody buying his stock at those prices could expect to lose most of their money.

`Nemesis has a new favorite as of 23:49 on Dec 20, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is that a wig?

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Is that a wig?
why would they make a wig with a bald patch :thunk:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Elizabethan Error posted:

why would they make a wig with a bald patch :thunk:

I think that's just the lights shining off that guy's very obvious wig.

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The only thing that surprises me is that there isn't a Swift logo on the trailer.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Remember that one episode of Futurama?

Metroid Fitzgerald
Feb 13, 2012

B O O O O B S . . . !

`Nemesis posted:

Longfin Corp bought a blockchain company, and the CEO went on CNBC to discuss crypto and his company.

Edit: further information copy paste: Longfin (symbol LFIN) just went public and started trading last week. Their IPO price was $5 per share. Right after they went public, they announced they were buying ziddu.com which does something with blockchain and this set off a mania in the stock. It reached as high as $142 per share which made the value of this very small company be worth something like 6 or 7 billion dollars. Crazy poo poo like this happens from time to time in the stock market, and there may have been some boiler-room shenanigans as well, but bitcoin mania is probably the main reason for this ridiculous stock price move. The CEO came on CNBC to say that none of the stock price's rocket ride made any fundamental sense; in other words, he was trying to tell folks his company was not worth billions and that anybody buying his stock at those prices could expect to lose most of their money.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFpK_r-jEXg

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

orange sky posted:

We pretty much already have.

waggles
Jul 21, 2011

Here to spread frog love.
Fallen Rib
I don't really like the idea of celebrating the death of people but the Amtrak train derail did bring this gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

waggles posted:

I don't really like the idea of celebrating the death of people but the Amtrak train derail did bring this gem.

Yeah it's ok to celebrate the death of people like that.