Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

They'll need to offer some serious support to local stores if they wanna do something like this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It's mostly how much the talon issue currently stands, TT will support it well I think, but gaming is fickle as poo poo and any system that's stalled as long as this game has (a year now?) tends to die.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I did a game with the Hull Breach scenario in Phase 2 today, holy poo poo that debris is scary.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Super bummed out that things have been so silent. I really hope the game doesn't die (because it's a cool system(s), but I'm also heavily invested), but man it seems like this much radio silence bodes pretty poorly. Give me hope Flipswitch, not despair!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I really am hoping that someone from TT/Hawk gets their rear end over to Beasts of War and does some talking in front of a camera. They wouldn't even have to show much, just set some expectations beyond a handful of Facebook posts.

Finishing off the kickstarter is great, but it really doesnt do much for community. The people still owed stuff are probably burned out on the experience already and aren't going to do much positive shouting about it.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Finally getting started on my Dropfleet Shaltari and deciding what to build.

Anyone got an opinion on Shaltari light cruisers? Vectored gives them the ability to turn at any point in their movement which sounds useful. Dunno if I'd want disrupters or gravity coils. The coils adds a bit of utility if not exciting damage output. On the other hand I have two battle cruisers and was going to build one of each so could have a gravity coil option there.

Tempted to build two Basalt Fleet carriers, will definitely be building two emeralds.

I have 8 cruiser sprues to play with;

1. Emerald Mothership
2. Emerald Mothership
3. Basalt Fleet Carrier
4. Obsidian Heavy Cruiser (triple particle lance, it looks cool)
5. Amber (Disintegrators)

BC1. Adamant (Particle/Disintegrators)
BC2. Palladium (Bombardment/Gravity coils)

drat those sprues go fast!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

I played a game against someone using the battlecruiser with those orientation changing weapons and they didn't accomplish much. That might have just been a match-up issue though, PHR doesn't have many of the front narrow weapons that would seem to be priority targets for the coils.

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

They look to me to be really bad. You need to hit and damage with every die for them, which means that their success rate isn't that good. You're looking at a 1/3 chance to miss with one shot, which ruins it. Then you have to beat armour, because they don't bypass. And then you have your main guns doing a max of 2 damage, and only being useful on narrow weapons that are already out of alignment, because they can turn back the amount you turn them if they were on line to hit.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Yeah that is my concern with them. They may be a bit situational. I recall reading the stats and figuring that with a good roll you could have your opponents battleship facing whatever direction you want which sounds appealing.

Maybe I should be making one of each BC and the light cruisers as the damage dealing type? I don't see myself having much call for doubling up on the same BC in a typical game.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think the Shaltari normal cruisers look way better than their light cruisers; but I haven’t used either.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
Shaltari light cruisers are outclassed by the frigates; the vectored rule is really just a fix for their horrible f(n) arcs. I find it hard to get use out of the impel as I would much prefer to destroy or cripple things I shoot at, and 170 points should be getting you more firepower than four dice rolls.

As for the general cruiser question, I've made 3 emerald, 2 amber, 2 turquoise. 2 basalt, obsidian, onyx (I think; triple disintegratior batteries). I use the obsidian, onyx and third emerald the least.

I'd caution against actually using the palladium as you will find it very under-gunned. Still, I can't really see double adamant being used in any lists so there's no reason not to build one of each.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I know Ugleb doesn't have a battleship, but I saw someone on the facebook group who used the supercarrier instead of the normal battleship against double-Basilisk lists. It kind of surprised me.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

Shaltari light cruisers are outclassed by the frigates; the vectored rule is really just a fix for their horrible f(n) arcs. I find it hard to get use out of the impel as I would much prefer to destroy or cripple things I shoot at, and 170 points should be getting you more firepower than four dice rolls.

As for the general cruiser question, I've made 3 emerald, 2 amber, 2 turquoise. 2 basalt, obsidian, onyx (I think; triple disintegratior batteries). I use the obsidian, onyx and third emerald the least.

I'd caution against actually using the palladium as you will find it very under-gunned. Still, I can't really see double adamant being used in any lists so there's no reason not to build one of each.

Fair points. I'm of the opinion that triple Emeralds isn't all that necessary and is going to be less and less of a thing as the meta evolves.

Battleships having limited gate ability already reduces the need to spam motherships a bit and as more stuff comes out points are just going to get tighter. The game was initially expected to be 1500pts for tournaments and has settled at 1250pts.

My main reason for building an Obsidian is that they look cool and I love the idea of triple particle cannons.

When I do get around to buying a battleship I shall be magnetising! Both look like strong choices and I do like launch assets as well as death rays.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I magnetised my Shaltari and have never been entirely satisfied with the results. The weapon arms forever sit slightly above their normal position, and barring some heavy and delicate work with a file I've just had to settle for my ships all looking slightly wrong.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

The battleship has its weapons pod on the top rather than the arms, so in theory all you need to do is make sure the magnets are flush with the surface.

No way in hell I'd try magnetizing the cruiser arms.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

I have been looking at magnetising the cruisers. Then decided I'd screw it up. Even if I did line stuff up right there would be a hell if a lot of drilling to get things flush.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

It might be possible to pin it, but I don't trust myself to align holes on two different pieces for the pin.

This caused me some problems magnetizing the UCM BC I did.

Oh shoot I never reposted the pics from that Oath in here.

Fake Edit:

wdarkk posted:

Oath Complete!

I had a good time magnetizing the battlecruiser. I also finally got good results out of Signal Blue without necessarily using an airbrush. Eagle eyed viewers might spot a slight miscalculation I made. I didn't actually have enough little guns in my batch for that one last set of wings. Technically I painted everything I oathed, I just didn't count how many guns I had prepped. :doh:

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Ugleb posted:

Fair points. I'm of the opinion that triple Emeralds isn't all that necessary and is going to be less and less of a thing as the meta evolves.

Battleships having limited gate ability already reduces the need to spam motherships a bit and as more stuff comes out points are just going to get tighter. The game was initially expected to be 1500pts for tournaments and has settled at 1250pts.

My main reason for building an Obsidian is that they look cool and I love the idea of triple particle cannons.

When I do get around to buying a battleship I shall be magnetising! Both look like strong choices and I do like launch assets as well as death rays.

I was running two emeralds at midland maelstrom (a local tournament with I think 24 players) and did fine - shaltari drop is actually really expensive for what you actually get. I've put together a single emerald list for the upcoming Cardiff tournament and am wondering if I should use it, or my tried and tested list.

Also there's no need to even use magnets for the battleships, the cannon/launch bay seems to sit snugly and won't fall off unless you tip over the model.

One of the PHR fleets I've seen is fully magnetised, but uses an iron paste on the weapon pods and has the magnets embedded in the hull. Possibly a better solution for cruiser weapons? The weapon parts themselves are very light so won't need much force to keep them in place.

Incy fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Dec 3, 2017

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Picked up a cheap starter set and some Odins a while ago and finished with most of it. Probably not going to get around to the infantry and APCs for a bit, though. Might add another color to them later but happy with it for now.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

I was running two emeralds at midland maelstrom (a local tournament with I think 24 players) and did fine - shaltari drop is actually really expensive for what you actually get. I've put together a single emerald list for the upcoming Cardiff tournament and am wondering if I should use it, or my tried and tested list.

While I generally applaud experimentation, a single Emerald is probably going to draw the fire of everything on the board because once it dies the ground game is pretty much over.

What are you doing with the extra points to offset that?

Sojenus posted:

Picked up a cheap starter set and some Odins a while ago and finished with most of it. Probably not going to get around to the infantry and APCs for a bit, though. Might add another color to them later but happy with it for now.

Looking good, some nice crisp panel lines there.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Ugleb posted:

While I generally applaud experimentation, a single Emerald is probably going to draw the fire of everything on the board because once it dies the ground game is pretty much over.

What are you doing with the extra points to offset that?

Ships to kill stuff in space, some bombardment. I want to sweep space by the end of turn 4.

code:
--------------------------------------
1250 low emeralds 221117 - 1246pts
Shaltari - 7 launch assets

SR15 Flag battlegroup (270pts)
1 x Platinum - 270pts - S
   + High Starchief (100pts, 5AV)

SR11 Line battlegroup (190pts)
1 x Emerald - 100pts - M
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (230pts)
2 x Turquoise - 230pts - M

SR10 Line battlegroup (220pts)
2 x Amber - 220pts - M

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (185pts)
3 x Topaz - 111pts - L
2 x Topaz - 74pts - L

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (111pts)
3 x Topaz - 111pts - L
[url]http://dflist.com/s/#/share/f27b511340883[/url]

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Incy posted:

Ships to kill stuff in space, some bombardment. I want to sweep space by the end of turn 4.

code:
1250 low emeralds 221117 - 1246pts
Shaltari - 7 launch assets

SR15 Flag battlegroup (270pts)
1 x Platinum - 270pts - S
   + High Starchief (100pts, 5AV)

SR11 Line battlegroup (190pts)
1 x Emerald - 100pts - M
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L
3 x Voidgate - 45pts - L

SR10 Line battlegroup (230pts)
2 x Turquoise - 230pts - M

SR10 Line battlegroup (220pts)
2 x Amber - 220pts - M

SR5 Pathfinder battlegroup (185pts)
3 x Topaz - 111pts - L
2 x Topaz - 74pts - L

SR3 Pathfinder battlegroup (111pts)
3 x Topaz - 111pts - L
[url]http://dflist.com/s/#/share/f27b511340883[/url]

I can see the appeal of all those disintegrators! I guess the Turquoise should be able to hammer through sectors fairly quickly.

I'm not sure you have an answer to strike carriers in atmo, would getting a few Glass in there help? I suppose you can just send the 3 Topaz group to hurl dice at the problem.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Ugleb posted:

I can see the appeal of all those disintegrators! I guess the Turquoise should be able to hammer through sectors fairly quickly.

I'm not sure you have an answer to strike carriers in atmo, would getting a few Glass in there help? I suppose you can just send the 3 Topaz group to hurl dice at the problem.

Either jump on them with frigates or sacrifice the sector. You can't effectively kill strike carriers in atmosphere with any faction, and this is a major failing of the game at the moment.

For glass, it's 4 to get slightly over coinflip odds of crippling a strike carrier, which then only has a 5/9 chance of exploding. Assuming you start shooting on turn 3, that 4 glass group is killing one strike carrier over the course of the game! If you are facing PHR then this doesn't apply.

I don't need to win on the ground. I can lose, even lose big, as long as the enemy fleet is gone and I can pick my space scoring. Having a single gate being able to put two troops on the ground helps pick up those 1 and 2 point contests. I can also blow up troop ships in low orbit with little difficulty.

In all honestly I don't know whether it will work or not yet - I've played it a few times against high and low drop lists in our local meta and it has performed well, but as expected lots of strike carriers are a problem.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Let's not forget, nuking the site from orbit remains an option. ;)

New kickstarter update is up! Missing wave 1 items and wave 2 is now going out. I think wave 2 is just the scourge station parts at this point? Store credit for maps is going out after shipping is done and Hawk products go live on the TTcombat webstore.

I continue to smile at the way TTcombat are not missing opportunities to point out how they are fixing the big mess that they inherited. Probably not that far from the truth but I do wonder what Dave thinks reading these messages.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead
Wave 2 was the space station, tokens, and art prints as well. Not really certain how they managed to send a few people the stuff months ago but never got around to finishing it. When I emailed in like September the person seemed surprised that my space station had not gone out because they were told they all had...

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Nice to see that the Scourge station parts exist. I've built my own in the meantime, but it's still pretty cool.

Still have to get that thing painted. It's pretty intimidating.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Welcome back.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Shaltari colour test! Suggestions welcomed!

I'm thinking on the voidgate I will pick out the large gems on the spokes in something really bright as the artwork suggests those are the actual teleporter bits. I'm leaning towards pink, maybe green.

Still undecided on picking out the more numerous gems and colours. I guess orange is an option?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Shaltari colour test! Suggestions welcomed!

I'm thinking on the voidgate I will pick out the large gems on the spokes in something really bright as the artwork suggests those are the actual teleporter bits. I'm leaning towards pink, maybe green.

Still undecided on picking out the more numerous gems and colours. I guess orange is an option?

Not bad. I'm working on a color test for Shaltari right now myself. Is that a metallic color for the main body?

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Nope, its khaki brown, dryrushed bone white then ivory white, hit with a sepia was and lightly drybrushed ivory again.

The other bits started with charred brown then layered up with reds to an orange. I do have a brighter orange that I could use to lighten the tips a bit more.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Dec 7, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Nope, its khaki brown, dryrushed bone white then ivory white, hit with a sepia was and lightly drybrushed ivory again.

The other bits started with charred brown then layered up with reds to an orange. I do have a brighter orange that I could use to lighten the tips a bit more.

Ah, the lighting seems a little yellow so I'm not making out the bone very well.

Speaking of Shaltari and color tests,

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Nice strong colour there! Are you planning to pick out other areas?

On mine I'm trying to keep a bit of the light brown in, thinking I may glaze into the recesses a bit. I think I may need to paint the top spines in the red/oranges, from the top you don't see much of it. Thing is, I'm reluctant to end up painting the inner ones as well because it will quickly become a fiddly time sink shading it all. Hmm.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here got a Dropfleet tournament control sheet for excel? Need to make one tonight.

E; there is an official one!

Flipswitch fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Dec 8, 2017

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Nice strong colour there! Are you planning to pick out other areas?

On mine I'm trying to keep a bit of the light brown in, thinking I may glaze into the recesses a bit. I think I may need to paint the top spines in the red/oranges, from the top you don't see much of it. Thing is, I'm reluctant to end up painting the inner ones as well because it will quickly become a fiddly time sink shading it all. Hmm.

I'm planning to paint the cylindrical portions of the turret silver. Maybe paint some of the sensors green.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

It came from Facebook...

So looks like there will be price drops ahead, which is unexpected.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Working on some Dropfleet Shaltari and trying to decide his much further to take these. I don't want to be painting every drat dot but want them to look like I didn't just stop short.

Maybe need to pick out more on the cruiser saucers?

The next frigates I do may have fewer dots picked out as I have something like 23 of the things to do!

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Maybe just a bit of a wash and call it there? I think they would look good at that point.

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

Also, on painting, I've got these tiny fuckers done to a standard I can tolerate, but no idea on what to do with respect to basing and even how to do it so it looks decent at this scale:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Sojenus posted:

Also, on painting, I've got these tiny fuckers done to a standard I can tolerate, but no idea on what to do with respect to basing and even how to do it so it looks decent at this scale:

I use a mix of basing grit, wood glue, and gray paint to create a kind of urban rubble mush.

EDIT:

There's also some sprue debris in there.

wdarkk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
Vallejo's textured paints are ideal for the 10-15mm scale, just slap some of that on and hit it with a drybrush once or twice and you're good to go.