Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I know it means very little but I'm glad that they couldn't finish this poo poo before the New Year.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/943543958730309633?s=17

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

(since I doubt Congress will formally adjourn).

Congress maintains like 3 people to quickly gavel in for a minute long session to sidestep it.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

Frankly, I'd be more worried if Republicans had shown themselves to be more competent and united than they have this past year. They're not even competent at being evil, and that's their number one talent.
This tax bill shows they're finally figuring out how to enact their terrible agenda. If you'd asked me a year ago, I would have said major tax cuts for the rich and Obamacare repeal would have happened by April, so it could have been worse.

But if they do start passing things regularly now, I'm afraid they might actually improve in the polls, even if the things they pass are horribly unpopular. Americans are stupid and will react positively to a legislature that just "gets things done".

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

quote:

Foreign Policy reported that the Special Counsel has obtained “records” that reveal McGahn in late January researched the consequences of lying to the FBI and of violating the Logan Act, a centuries-old federal prohibition on private citizens negotiating with hostile foreign governments. The research, conducted with the help of two aides, prompted McGahn to conclude that Flynn had likely committed a crime by discussing sanctions with a top Russian official during the transition, two current administration officials told Foreign Policy.

Most significantly, the records now in the possession of Special Counsel Robert Mueller indicate McGahn “warned Trump about Flynn’s possible violations” for holding those discussions and lying about them to the FBI

Legal experts told TPM that such advance notification about Flynn’s potentially criminal acts would significantly bolster the case that the President was trying to obstruct justice when he allegedly asked then-FBI Director James Comey to drop the investigation into Flynn the day after his dismissal from the White House. The obstruction statute requires not only that someone tried to impede an investigation, but had corrupt intent in doing so.
, according to Foreign Policy.

Top Trump aides including Reince Priebus and Sean Spicer even told the press that the legal department conducted a review after McGahn’s meetings with Yates and found that there was nothing wrong with Flynn’s conduct.

A “senior administration official close to McGahn” told Foreign Policy that the White House Counsel felt unfairly scapegoated by these comments, given that he researched Flynn’s possible legal violations after speaking to Yates and passed his warning on to the President.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckraker/mcgahn-trump-knew-flynn-probably-violated-law-in-january

i don't even know why the gently caress the white house has a lawyer who doesn't have attorney-client privilege with the president but lol, good luck explaining away "well, my lawyer told me he committed a crime, that's why i asked the FBI to stop investigating him"

evilweasel fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 21, 2017

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Isn't it pocket-vetoed by that point if the bill passes today and they all go home?

If so, and he signs it anyways, wouldn't people be able to sue over it? The GOP could just pass it again but that eats their one free "lets gently caress the country forever" 50 vote threshold for 2018 at the very least.

Assuming the conservatives on the SCOTUS wouldn't just strike down any challenges on some bullshit excuse like the judiciary not being responsible for enforcing Congressional rules that happen to be in the Constitution. Or that the GOP never actually recess Congress any more because they're loving scum.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Inferior Third Season posted:

This tax bill shows they're finally figuring out how to enact their terrible agenda. If you'd asked me a year ago, I would have said major tax cuts for the rich and Obamacare repeal would have happened by April, so it could have been worse.

But if they do start passing things regularly now, I'm afraid they might actually improve in the polls, even if the things they pass are horribly unpopular. Americans are stupid and will react positively to a legislature that just "gets things done".

They just used the one 50-vote bill they have, what the hell else could they pass?

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Your Boy Fancy posted:

There's a dog who can't wait to meet you, and he loves you without knowing all the things you've done.

This was a good post, but I wanted to point out this line cause it's so wonderful. :dance:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Isn't it pocket-vetoed by that point if the bill passes today and they all go home?

If so, and he signs it anyways, wouldn't people be able to sue over it? The GOP could just pass it again but that eats their one free "lets gently caress the country forever" 50 vote threshold for 2018 at the very least.

Assuming the conservatives on the SCOTUS wouldn't just strike down any challenges on some bullshit excuse like the judiciary not being responsible for enforcing Congressional rules that happen to be in the Constitution.

I believe that Democrats refuse to let the Senate formally adjourn (and the motion is filibusterable) so that Trump can't recess appoint anyone.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Like, all bullshit aside, watch the anger. Anger is what's dictated the political landscape of my entire adult life to date. We were angry we'd been attacked during 2004. We were angry we'd been duped and the world had gone sideways in 08. We were angry people were trying to take out our favorite president in 2012. And we were angry at the whole stupid world in 2016, so we blew it up. In between those races, we were angry about Social Security in 06, angry that a black man was president in '10, angry that nobody had what they wanted in 14, and angry at the stress every waking moment had brought us this year.

Next year, the anger is blowing our sails. All the GOP voters have is either spite or despondency, and spite only gets you so far. Half this country, more than anything, wants revenge for the pain and suffering they feel, that their friends feel, that this crazy old man gets to live rent-free in the heads of the whole planet day after day. We're going to vote to make it stop, one way or another. And if the voting stops working, there will be blood. I believe the victory of voting will be far more likely than the victory of blood. That, in and of itself, is a reason for hope - we can change the world without all our loved ones dying horribly.

I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted this as a reply to someone who was despondent about Trump. I sourced it to "someone on the SA forums"

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

Nope. They get one shot per year at passing something with 50 votes via reconciliation in the Senate. Everything else will have the Democrats filibustering it unless their demands are met.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

evilweasel posted:

But if it gets sent to him now and he doesn't sign it until the third, I think it will become law (since I doubt Congress will formally adjourn).

Though his signing will be unnecessary and just for show in that case, right? Since it'll become law before that anyway?

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Maybe, but I don't necessarily know about that. What they're doing is horrifically unpopular, and they don't seem to give a poo poo about being held accountable for what they're doing. If they bungle this CR as they look like they will, and continue not funding CHIP, they're going to suffer for it; even if they manage to get some things passed.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Lycus posted:

Though his signing will be irrelevant in that case, right? Since it'll become law before that anyway?

yes, but it will be funny to mock the president failing to get his name on his only legislative achievement

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

evilweasel posted:

I believe that Democrats refuse to let the Senate formally adjourn (and the motion is filibusterable) so that Trump can't recess appoint anyone.

Oh right, forgot about that. Trump probably has a giant loving list of conservative hacks to recess appoint if ever given the chance too. :sigh:

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Like, all bullshit aside, watch the anger. Anger is what's dictated the political landscape of my entire adult life to date. We were angry we'd been attacked during 2004. We were angry we'd been duped and the world had gone sideways in 08. We were angry people were trying to take out our favorite president in 2012. And we were angry at the whole stupid world in 2016, so we blew it up. In between those races, we were angry about Social Security in 06, angry that a black man was president in '10, angry that nobody had what they wanted in 14, and angry at the stress every waking moment had brought us this year.

Next year, the anger is blowing our sails. All the GOP voters have is either spite or despondency, and spite only gets you so far. Half this country, more than anything, wants revenge for the pain and suffering they feel, that their friends feel, that this crazy old man gets to live rent-free in the heads of the whole planet day after day. We're going to vote to make it stop, one way or another. And if the voting stops working, there will be blood. I believe the victory of voting will be far more likely than the victory of blood. That, in and of itself, is a reason for hope - we can change the world without all our loved ones dying horribly.

this is a good post man. you're a good dude. :glomp:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Oh right, forgot about that. Trump probably has a giant loving list of conservative hacks to recess appoint if ever given the chance too. :sigh:

The most significant concern would be firing Sessions and recess appointing someone who will fire Mueller, avoiding the whole ringamarole of firing everyone in the justice department until you land on a career trumpist.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

nwo hatchet man posted:

Might as well give up now then instead of, you know, getting people elected who can enact change.

I voted, and wow, I'm still gonna be poor as poo poo as that's all I can do. Still in a dead-end, still no where to go, but please hope!

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Hellblazer187 posted:

I hope you don't mind, I copied and pasted this as a reply to someone who was despondent about Trump. I sourced it to "someone on the SA forums"

Don't you feel bad giving this person hope only to later have it annhilated? This will only lead him to be more desponded down the road. His blood will be on your hand.

pkay fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 21, 2017

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Emma_Dumain/status/943625008001224704

So they can give away $1.5 trillion to corporations and the wealthy, but they can't manage to fund children's health insurance for more than a few months at a time.

Disgusting.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

1stGear posted:

So do I just need to cut off a toe to avoid getting drafted or do I need to go all the way to a finger

Keep in mind this is coming from the Telegraph, so I'm not sure it's all that credible

If they were planning something, I'm sure more mainstream sources such as the NYT and WaPo would be covering it

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

pkay posted:

Don't you feel bad giving this person hope only to later have it annhilated? This will only lead him to before desponded down the road. His blood will be on your hand.

Everyone online is a man.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Willo567 posted:

Keep in mind this is coming from the Telegraph, so I'm not sure it's all that credible

If they were planning something, I'm sure more mainstream sources such as the NYT and WaPo would be covering it

They’re *always* planning. That’s the entire point of like the entire pentagon. They have plans and backup plans and contingencies for everything

People keep telling you to stop posting in this thread for a reason- please consider their advice

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Office Pig posted:

You know I don’t necessarily agree with you on everything. This? This is the kind of crimson spirit I’ve lived my entire life learning to appreciate.

Most of us just want to live our lives in peace. And I’ll be damned if anyone knows the best way to do that. You and me? All the weirdos in this thread? We agree on most everything. May as well be friends about it.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

DaveWoo posted:

https://twitter.com/Emma_Dumain/status/943625008001224704

So they can give away $1.5 trillion to corporations and the wealthy, but they can't manage to fund children's health insurance for more than a few months at a time.

Disgusting.

What poor kid has donated to their campaign fund lately?

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The tax cuts are reversible. There's a generation of amazing people who are angry enough to devote time and energy into running for office, and they're more left-wing than either of us. The sun will still rise in the morning, whether we like it or not. Somewhere in America, someone has an idea, and people are rallying to her side to make it happen. There's free workout videos on YouTube. The anger that's building in the rank and file of the country is what propels policy, and people are getting angry enough to smash what's currently in place. Someone is standing up to say "I can fix it" and everyone breathes a sigh of relief, because they were starting to think they'd have to stand up first. There's a dog who can't wait to meet you, and he loves you without knowing all the things you've done. There's a poster here who loves you, too, even though they've seen your posting history. That poster probably isn't even me!

No matter how bad things get, how poor you might become, how angry you feel or how hopeless it looks, something ridiculous is going to happen tomorrow, and you're going to laugh about it. Laughing is cheaper than drugs.

And if it all goes wrong, we can all get together and play free Risk or something. Conquer Club is handy for that, if only so you feel a little smarter than your friends.

Not an empty quote

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Republicans: doing the barest minimum possible to get ahead of the P.R while the looting of the treasury for the richest 1% continues.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits

Willo567 posted:

I hope when North Korea launches nukes your city goes first so our last 5 minutes on this thread aren't filled with you congratulating yourself.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
This feels like a long con but I can't quite figure out why:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-20/wells-fargo-fifth-third-unveil-minimum-wages-hike-bonus-payments-after-tax-reform-pa

Large companies giving out bonuses and raising wages in response to the tax bill? I know AT&Ts was going to happen anyways, but what about the rest of them? Are they just trying to convince people that this time trickle-down economics will actually work?

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13LZVJyR7Lw

Zisky
May 6, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

The tax cuts are reversible. There's a generation of amazing people who are angry enough to devote time and energy into running for office, and they're more left-wing than either of us. The sun will still rise in the morning, whether we like it or not. Somewhere in America, someone has an idea, and people are rallying to her side to make it happen. There's free workout videos on YouTube. The anger that's building in the rank and file of the country is what propels policy, and people are getting angry enough to smash what's currently in place. Someone is standing up to say "I can fix it" and everyone breathes a sigh of relief, because they were starting to think they'd have to stand up first. There's a dog who can't wait to meet you, and he loves you without knowing all the things you've done. There's a poster here who loves you, too, even though they've seen your posting history. That poster probably isn't even me!

No matter how bad things get, how poor you might become, how angry you feel or how hopeless it looks, something ridiculous is going to happen tomorrow, and you're going to laugh about it. Laughing is cheaper than drugs.

And if it all goes wrong, we can all get together and play free Risk or something. Conquer Club is handy for that, if only so you feel a little smarter than your friends.

YBF, you're a godsend for the posters in this thread when "nothing matters" starts to become deafening in our souls.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-12-20/wells-fargo-fifth-third-unveil-minimum-wages-hike-bonus-payments-after-tax-reform-pa

Large companies giving out bonuses and raising wages in response to the tax bill? I know AT&Ts was going to happen anyways, but what about the rest of them? Are they just trying to convince people that this time trickle-down economics will actually work?

Polishing a turd.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Mummy Xzibit posted:

I hope when North Korea launches nukes your city goes first so our last 5 minutes on this thread aren't filled with you congratulating yourself.

Jokes on you the first will be shot down and the resulting EMP will knock out electrical grids across the US.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Hellblazer187 posted:

Same. I keep my friends up to date on the news largely through what's shared here, and this is the sort of thing I needed to hear, at least. Thank you very much, Fancy. You rock.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/943595907353927680

This bill is shaping up to be a massive win for the country

Zisky
May 6, 2003

pkay posted:

Jokes on you the first will be shot down and the resulting EMP will knock out electrical grids across the US.

Inshallah, as long as we don't have to see his posts.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005

Mummy Xzibit posted:

YBF, you're a godsend for the posters in this thread when "nothing matters" starts to become deafening in our souls.

But nothing matters. Just look, Trump just gutted the ACA and got tax cuts in one single bill. It's almost like the battle over the ACA repeal didn't matter. And it didnt because nothing matters.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Most of us just want to live our lives in peace. And I’ll be damned if anyone knows the best way to do that. You and me? All the weirdos in this thread? We agree on most everything. May as well be friends about it.
Then stop defending racist cowards when people rightly call them out for their cowardly racism. For all your talk you've got a history of rushing to the rhetorical defense of people who will put us in an early grave. Literally nothing you're talking about can possibly happen if holding our leaders to their word is taboo.

Zisky
May 6, 2003

pkay posted:

But nothing matters. Just look, Trump just gutted the ACA and got tax cuts in one single bill. It's almost like the battle over the ACA repeal didn't matter. And it didnt because nothing matters.

Employer mandate still exists and medicaid for all isn't a pipe dream on the coattails of a blue wave.

And this was the Republican shot at reconciliation for 2018. What are they supposed to do after this legislatively?

They were gonna pass something at some point, it's not like the end of the year was the cutoff.

All things considered there are far worse timelines.

Edit:
Essentially, it could always be better, it could always be worse. What matters is what happens going forward. Even if nothing matters in a universal sense, things very, very much matter here and now in our society and country.

Zisky fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Dec 21, 2017

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Upthread a bit, the giveaway stems from a concession to union workers. CWA is basically having their hard-fought gain whitewashed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
https://twitter.com/JackSmithIV/status/943618340618153990

Sentence: Death by guillotine

• Locked thread