Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tender Bender posted:

Throw me around jedi master

Kylo got huge too, and as someone pointed out on Twitter he's not impossibly cut like the marvel dudes, he Just loving Lifts.

Kylo got huge so he could send his unwanted ForceTwitter selfies, which /r/hotjedibabes assured him was the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Everybody had distractingly wide belts. Maybe it’s just because Adam Driver was shirtless in that scene, but that belt was huge. Hamill had one too.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

waffledoodle posted:

I saw my third showing last night. It keeps getting better each time and I keep noticing neat little new things with each viewing. There was some cool visual foreshadowing that I caught last night for the first time and which I haven't seen anyone point out online yet:

When Leia pulls herself back into the cruiser's bridge, she flies through a hologram of Snoke's ship. She cuts the same path through it that Holdo does later with the Hyperspace ram, and the hologram shatters.

This just makes it more frustrating that they didn't reshoot to swap Leia and Holdo's endings. They could even have had the manoeuvring thrusters be damaged or something, so that she'd had to use her special Skywalker force powers to turn the ship around and aim it at the target (and so it's something no-one else could have done), and given Leia an ending that serves a purpose. Hopefully they'll do something interesting with her in IX - if she's written out like a wet fart I think people will be very disappointed.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
Really, I should just let Mark Hamill speak for me. It seems he's been going slightly off-script an awful lot lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIY-PsHrj9A

He also, unprompted, praised the prequels for their use of CGI and said they were more original than TFA:

quote:

During my wide-ranging discussion with Mark Hamill to mark the release of The Last Jedi we touched upon a variety of Star Wars related topics, from "A New Hope" to his emotional return to the Millennium Falcon, while also finding room to talk about George Lucas, too.

But I have to admit, I didn’t expect to hear Hamill’s thoughts on the “Star Wars” prequels, which started off with 1999’s “Phantom Menace,” continued with 2002’s “Attack Of The Clones,” and concluded with 2005’s “Revenge Of The Sith."

While they grossed the combined total of just under $2.5 billion at the box office, they were heavily maligned by fans for moving away from the sci-fi spectacle that made the original three films so beloved. But it turns out that’s exactly what Mark Hamill loved about them.

“What I thought was great about the prequels was the different technology that I had never seen before. All that CGI. And the fact that [George Lucas] wasn’t trying to do the same experience all over again.”

According to Hamill, George Lucas’ trajectory with the “Star Wars” prequels at least took the films down a brand new terrain, while J.J. Abrams’ “The Force Awakens” instead tried to tap into what made the original films so popular.

“I thought ‘The Force Awakens’ did that more than the early ones, because it had that the girl from a different planet, the death star, the Cantina sequence.”

When I asked Hamill whether that was Abrams’ intention, he responded, “Of course! He was trying to figure out what was it about the original movies that everybody loved. And that’s a different thought process than what George would have done. Because he would go, ‘I had a beginning, middle, and an end’.”

We’ll get to see whether “The Last Jedi” was just as heavily influenced by “Empires Strikes Back” as “The Force Awakens” was by “A New Hope” when it is finally released on December 15.

He says he wishes Disney had followed Lucas's outlines more closely:

quote:

As its creator and the writer and director of four of its first six installments, it is hard not to feel a little sad that George Lucas is no longer involved in the Star Wars series.

But when Disney bought Lucasfilm from George Lucas for $4.06 billion back in 2012 the decision was soon made to move away from his vision for the franchise, and instead the likes of J.J. Abrams, Rian Johnson, and Gareth Edwards were brought in to take it forward.

Mark Hamill has now admitted that he is a little disappointed that Lucas is no longer involved, while also registering his disappointment that the powers that be over at the studio weren’t “more accepting of his guidance and advice.”

What I wish is that they had been more accepting of his guidance and advice. Because he had an outline for ‘7,’ ‘8,’ and ‘9’. And it is vastly different to what they have done.”

But Hamill refused to overly attack Disney for their treatment of Lucas, instead insisting that their decision has clearly worked wonders because after the release of “The Force Awakens” and “Rogue One” the "Star Wars" franchise has never been more popular.

“But then again, I don’t want to be an old stick in the mud. There were the originals. There’s the prequels. But that’s all George. And now we have the next generation. And as far as I can see they are more popular than ever.”

You can’t really argue with Hamill’s final point, as “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” grossed $2.068 billion back in 2015 and then “Rogue One” took in $1.056 billion just last year, too.

Disney will expect “Star Wars: The Last Jedi” to at least threaten “The Force Awakens’” gross when it hits cinemas, which is now tantalizingly close as it will finally be released on December 15.

Notice how his disclaimer is that they're "more popular than ever," not that he necessarily thinks they're good. It reminds me of his comment from a few years back after TFA came out:

quote:

“So because The Force Awakens made a lot of money, it’s not ‘ergo it’s good’.

“And oh my god I’ve just realised this is all on film.”

And though of course Leia does finally use the Force in this movie, it sounds like Leia's Jedi training was going to be a more integral part of Lucas's outlines, which Hamill seems to lament not being the case so far with these ones:

quote:

Sitting down with Rolling Stone while doing the press rounds for The Last Jedi, Hamill revealed an interesting tidbit regarding Lucas’ scrapped Star Wars: Episode VII, VIII, and IX, with regard to Leia’s Force sensitivity. Apparently, the saga’s creator wanted to further explore her ability to tap into it in, over the course of those films:

“This is always something that interest me because we can communicate telepathically and I tell her in one of the movies, I guess the third one, you have that power too. So I always wondered, and I don’t read the fanfiction, why she wouldn’t fully develop her Force sensibilities and I think that’s something George Lucas addressed in his original outline for 7, 8, 9. I was talking to him last week, but they’re not following George’s ideas so we’ll have to wait and see on that one. But it seems like a waste of an innate talent that she should utilize in some way.”

It's really not hard to (barely) read between the lines and see that, despite his professional respect for Johnson and need to support the new movies, he kind of wishes he could have been in the movies based on George's outlines, which he did initially sign up for. Of course, obviously, just because a star has reservations doesn't mean he's automatically right. I'm just pointing out that if the man who embodies the character of Luke Skywalker more than anyone else (aside from George Lucas) can have these feelings, then maybe it isn't so petty and ridiculous for some fans to feel a similar way.

Basically, this isn't a Luke Skywalker or a larger story that I can get behind, but I accept that this is basically a new Star Wars series completely disconnected from the old one and it's not for me anymore. Apparently the new Star Wars literally is for people who don't like Star Wars, or who at least want to be done with it as it was. (And that's not even a jab, since according to everyone that's actually what the movie is about? All those articles about TLJ saying "gently caress you" to George Lucas and "destroying" Star Wars and whatnot.)

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I feel like another thread got into the cottage industry of A-list actors needing to get ripped to do nerd movies, and the combination of unsafe diets and even more unsafe HGH required to do that in the necessary time frame. Like "You're doing this too hard level 1" is Hugh Jackman not drinking water in order to get the proper Wolverine Comic Look in Wolverine Goes to Japan.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I really, really loving hope JJ Abrams doesn't redact that Rey's parents are nobodies saying "Kylo Ren was lying! Ha ha! You really are space royalty, heir to the lost Jedi bloodline" or something, because making Star Wars about regular people stepping up to become heroes is far more interesting than the clamoring fanboy poo poo of saying that people HAVE to be connected to the Skywalker line or something. We had the Skywalker saga, it's time to move on while still acknowledging how important it was to the overall universe. That article somebody wrote about "Who the Broom Boy REALLY WAS" is the kind of bullshit that needs to loving go. The prequels made me pretty much completely leave SW fandom, and the Clone Wars series brought me back, because of the stories of Capt. Rex and crew, not more of the Space Wizards. Rogue One did the same for me. The galaxy is loving huge, and there's a lot of good stories to be told.

He was said to be gushing about the script prior to the start of production, so I doubt there's going to be any serious retcons. Probably an easy bet that Phasma's going to come back, though.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 20, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Cnut the Great posted:

Really, I should just let Mark Hamill speak for me. It seems he's been going slightly off-script an awful lot lately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIY-PsHrj9A

He also, unprompted, praised the prequels for their use of CGI and said they were more original than TFA:

He says he wishes Disney had followed Lucas's outlines more closely:

Notice how his disclaimer is that they're "more popular than ever," not that he necessarily thinks they're good. It reminds me of his comment from a few years back after TFA came out:

And though of course Leia does finally use the Force in this movie, it sounds like Leia's Jedi training was going to be a more integral part of Lucas's outlines, which Hamill seems to lament not being the case so far with these ones:

It's really not hard to (barely) read between the lines and see that, despite his professional respect for Johnson and need to support the new movies, he kind of wishes he could have been in the movies based on George's outlines, which he did initially sign up for. Of course, obviously, just because a star has reservations doesn't mean he's automatically right. I'm just pointing out that if the man who embodies the character of Luke Skywalker more than anyone else (aside from George Lucas) can have these feelings, then maybe it isn't so petty and ridiculous for some fans to feel a similar way.

Basically, this isn't a Luke Skywalker or a larger story that I can get behind, but I accept that this is basically a new Star Wars series completely disconnected from the old one and it's not for me anymore. Apparently the new Star Wars literally is for people who don't like Star Wars, or who at least want to be done with it as it was. (And that's not even a jab, since according to everyone that's actually what the movie is about? All those articles about TLJ saying "gently caress you" to George Lucas and "destroying" Star Wars and whatnot.)

I want to say there's some interviews out there where he seems to express surprise and disappointment with how Luke turned out, like he didn't know he was going to die/ascend/whatever ("They don't tell me everything", I think is the quote in response to a question on Luke's fate). He talks about having long discussions with Trevorrow about Luke and where the character was going and stuff like that. And I mean, given that he just sort of fades away, alone and isolated, it could have been entirely done in post. Hamill has said a lot of things that he's seemingly been forced by Disney to retract a few days later (like the stuff about how 'I disagree fundamentally with what you did with Luke, but I'll perform your script to the best of my ability') and he's also done things like leak the trailer date on Twitter -- which was deleted a day or two later. Their working relationship feels like it was a bit contentious and I have no doubt that, if it was, Hamill thought 'What're they going to do to me? I'm Luke Skywalker!'

It's like how Lucas saying 'The fans will like TFA' or his thoughts on TLJ ('It's a well-made film') are pretty indicative of some misgivings, too. Not even touching on the 'white slavers' comment.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I am really interested to just hear a summary of Lucas’ ideas for a new trilogy, and I think a summary would be better than having to sit through them.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, all of the comments I've read online to the effect of "this isn't your dad's Star Wars" I can't help but think really? poo poo, Episode 1 did that over a decade ago.

I'm betting big that Leia adopts Rey or more likely gifts her the Skywalker name, getting the Pip treatment. That's why they're keeping the character around. I'm also pretty sure they're gonna extend this story into a tenth movie.

My favorite moment was Leia reaching out to Kylo as he was going to pull the trigger. You can tell they had a connection, and you could see from Leia's expression she's overloading that connection with 100% unconditional love for her son. It's so vividly painted on her face. She has the look of a person trying to save their junkie family member they care for against all reason. Driver and Fisher really loving nailed it.

I didn't spoiler that because it's trailer poo poo

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I was disappointed that Luke's training wasn't a bigger part of the movie. Now I wonder how much actual Jedi-ing Rey will do.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

I want to say there's some interviews out there where he seems to express surprise and disappointment with how Luke turned out, like he didn't know he was going to die/ascend/whatever ("They don't tell me everything", I think is the quote in response to a question on Luke's fate). He talks about having long discussions with Trevorrow about Luke and where the character was going and stuff like that. And I mean, given that he just sort of fades away, it could have been entirely done in post. Hamill has said a lot of things that he's seemingly been forced by Disney to retract a few days later (like the stuff about how 'I disagree fundamentally with what you did with Luke, but I'll perform your script to the best of my ability') and he's also done things like leak the trailer date on Twitter -- which was deleted a day or two later. Their working relationship feels like it was a bit contentious.

It's like how Lucas saying 'The fans will like TFA' or his thoughts on TLJ ('It's a well-made film') are pretty indicative of it all, too.

He’s a big dork and he approaches the movies like a big dork. I think he said about the last one that he was confused about why Luke didn’t show up at the end to beat Adam Driver and save everyone.

But the thing with these movies is that there are no threads from the old movies to develop them from, so they pretty much have to go back on everything or just build entirely new poo poo just to have a movie. This Luke is an entirely different character because he’s in a totally different story.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Dec 21, 2017

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

I really, really loving hope JJ Abrams doesn't redact that Rey's parents are nobodies saying "Kylo Ren was lying! Ha ha! You really are space royalty, heir to the lost Jedi bloodline" or something, because making Star Wars about regular people stepping up to become heroes is far more interesting than the clamoring fanboy poo poo of saying that people HAVE to be connected to the Skywalker line or something. We had the Skywalker saga, it's time to move on while still acknowledging how important it was to the overall universe. That article somebody wrote about "Who the Broom Boy REALLY WAS" is the kind of bullshit that needs to loving go. The prequels made me pretty much completely leave SW fandom, and the Clone Wars series brought me back, because of the stories of Capt. Rex and crew, not more of the Space Wizards. Rogue One did the same for me. The galaxy is loving huge, and there's a lot of good stories to be told.

I liked that Star Wars was a family story about multiple generations of the Skywalker bloodline throughout galactic history, and I don't see how it's elitist or or "clamoring fanboy poo poo." It's a fairy tale. It's like the Norse sagas, or the Bible, or hell, even Tolkien or what-have-you. Bloodlines feature heavily in those things, as a metaphor for the historical continuity of the human race. That's just part of it. It's an allegory. The fact that the heroes all descend from one another symbolizes the fact that each new generation inherits the legacy of the prior one. Making the new hero a nobody connected to no lineage but the one she adopts just unnecessarily literalizes the metaphor to score some cheap point that doesn't even matter. Rey's journey to becoming a somebody is exactly the same as Luke's at the end of the day, only hers is intentionally reduced to the mundane while Luke's was elevated to the mythic. Again, it's an example of simplistically missing the point masquerading as edgy iconoclasm, like an atheist middle schooler smirking to himself as he places the Bible in the Fiction section at the local Barnes & Noble.

I don't see why people have to turn this into some sort of political thing. As if George Lucas of all people was looking to scorn the institution of adoptive lineage by including the old mythic trope of bloodlines and genealogies in his modern day legend. The old films are still full of themes about adoption and non-traditional inheritance. Anakin has no true father but the Force itself, and so is "adopted" first by the cruel Watto, then by the caring Qui-Gon Jinn, then by the well-meaning but unready Obi-Wan, and ultimately by the evil Emperor, in the end forcing Vader to choose in which father's (or fathers') footsteps to follow. Luke and Leia are both adopted by loving families at the end of Episode III; Luke's adoptive family cradling him protectively as they look out to an anxious yet exhilaratingly expectant future serves as Lucas's emotional capstone to the series. (Luke of course then goes on to be adopted by various surrogate fathers who influence him on his journey.)

Now, that said, the reveal about Rey in TLJ does work as a metaphor for obliterating the past, wiping the slate clean, and starting from scratch, which I guess is what the new movies are now ostensibly about, but I just disagree with that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

These stories shouldn't all be about Skywalkers because it makes the universe feel tiny and also because destiny is a terrible plot device always. I fundamentally disagree with the stance that Star Wars needs to be about one family because "old stories did it."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cnut the Great posted:

I'm just pointing out that if the man who embodies the character of Luke Skywalker more than anyone else (aside from George Lucas) can have these feelings, then maybe it isn't so petty and ridiculous for some fans to feel a similar way.

While that may be the case elsewhere online, I don't think anyone here seriously thinks that. I'm no stranger to this sort of argument either; I loved what Snyder's Man of Steel did to The Superman. I personally loved how TLJ deconstructed Luke. You and Mark Hamill might not have, but I was super into it.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bigger Luke confirmed as Jake Skywalker

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I think it's interesting how some people seem to regard choices in the movie as a personal insult directed at them.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I can't wait to watch the OT armed with the knowledge of what goes down in the sequels. Knowing all their struggles were for nothing and Luke had a part in getting Han Solo killed will no doubt enrich those movies.

Luke Skywalker standing over his sleeping nephew and seriously contemplating killing him. Brilliant.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Tender Bender posted:

I think it's interesting how some people seem to regard choices in the movie as a personal insult directed at them.

Fandom.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Cnut the Great posted:

I love Star Wars and love this movie. It doesn't destroy star wars, it expands it, just as each previous movie did.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I honestly cannot fathom as a viewer complaining that a person changed over a period of decades.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Arist posted:

I honestly cannot fathom as a viewer complaining that a person changed over a period of decades.

They do it for Yoda.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yaws posted:

Luke Skywalker standing over his sleeping nephew and seriously contemplating killing him. Brilliant.

Luke was never actually going to go through with the action. The temptation was there like all things having to do with the dark side, sure, but he fought against it despite knowing full well there was no more light left in Ben. Luke knew before everyone else that there was so much darkness in Ben, and that he had the power right then and there to destroy that darkness. But he wouldn't do it. He couldn't. It was merely a fleeting moment of the weakness that all Skywalkers shared, and he overcame that but tragically it solidified Ben's descent into Kylo Ren. I loved all the perspectives of that particular scene.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I think we all understand that thematically, but he unsheaths his sword- it strains credulity to imagine Luke getting that close to the brink after having ascended to a Zen-like passivity. It's also an explicit callback to Mace Windu attempting to assassinate the Emperor, which is just a weird parallel to draw because as Cnut says it implies that Luke is only marginally more prudent than his predecessors.

Arist posted:

Do you think Siddartha needs a sequel where he basically falls off the wagon for a while before getting back on it?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jewmanji posted:

I think we all understand that thematically, but he unsheaths his sword- it strains credulity to imagine Luke getting that close to the brink after having ascended to a Zen-like passivity. It's also an explicit callback to Mace Windu attempting to assassinate the Emperor, which is just a weird parallel to draw because as Cnut says it implies that Luke is only marginally more prudent than his predecessors.

Do you think Siddartha needs a sequel where he basically falls off the wagon for a while before getting back on it?

Why does it strain credulity? From Luke's perspective, this is the only chance he has to prevent everything from happening again.

And your comparison is bullshit. Star Wars is explicitly about cycles and new generations fixing the mistakes of the old.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Luke, who hacked his father's arm off in a fit of rage, would never lose his cool.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

teagone posted:

Luke was never actually going to go through with the action. The temptation was there like all things having to do with the dark side, sure, but he fought against it despite knowing full well there was no more light left in Ben. Luke knew before everyone else that there was so much darkness in Ben, and that he had the power right then and there to destroy that darkness. But he wouldn't do it. He couldn't. It was merely a fleeting moment of the weakness that all Skywalkers shared, and he overcame that but tragically it solidified Ben's descent into Kylo Ren.

Why would he even consider it though? He's been through this before. He successfully turned someone far more gone than teenaged Ben Solo. Did he forget? His massive failure got his friend killed and a new Empire to spring up. Kylo is completely justified in wanting Luke dead.

I guess that's Lukes' legacy now. Not the hero that helped bring down the Empire but a failure of a person who evidently learned nothing between the OT and ST.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Arist posted:

Why does it strain credulity? From Luke's perspective, this is the only chance he has to prevent everything from happening again.

And your comparison is bullshit. Star Wars is explicitly about cycles and new generations fixing the mistakes of the old.

Because most level-headed people don't try to murder children. Only Luke's father does that. Also you can't just say "cycles". Just because the plot moves in cycles doesn't mean that most characters in Star Wars don't have linear progressions.

dont even fink about it posted:

Luke, who hacked his father's arm off in a fit of rage, would never lose his cool.

What happened directly after that? I can't remember.

Like what is the point of telling these stories if each character is stuck in a cynical recursion? It's meaningless.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

It's too bad they don't do exit polling after people watch movies. It'd be interesting to see what demographics cause a person to lean "like" or "dislike".

I feel like I like this movie almost exclusively because:

- Went in with no expectations of it being anything better than an entertaining popcorn movie.

- When Ren & Kylo teamed up briefly, I liked that they have the same end goal in mind– "let's end this constant fighting" but want to solve it different ways, Kylo by ruling everything and Ren by a method that wouldn't end with her friends dying. To me it was a clever little way of showing how even while neither of them could give a gently caress about "their side", there's an actual practical reason one of them has a red lightsaber and the other a blue.

Though maybe I'm wrong! Maybe that wasn't what the film was going for. Regardless, viewing it that way made me like it.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

He made the decision not to do it immediately. This is explicitly stated in the film. It was a moment of weakness in a traumatic moment, and he did not act on it, because as you point out he's better than that.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The World Inferno posted:

It's too bad they don't do exit polling after people watch movies. It'd be interesting to see what demographics cause a person to lean "like" or "dislike".

- Went in with no expectations of it being anything better than an entertaining popcorn movie.

- When Ren & Kylo teamed up briefly, I liked that they have the same end goal in mind– "let's end this constant fighting" but want to solve it different ways, Kylo by ruling everything and Ren by a method that wouldn't end with her friends dying. To me it was a clever little way of showing how even while neither of them could give a gently caress about "their side", there's an actual practical reason one of them has a red lightsaber and the other a blue.

Though maybe I'm wrong! Maybe that wasn't what the film was going for. Regardless, viewing it that way made me like it.

Their relationship is really cool because they're both being honest. They want to connect and bring the other over to their side. On first viewing I thought Kylo was doing the tricky villain thing, and when he and Rey touched hands he would be like psyche, now I know where you are, dummy! Instead he's like yea this is cool, let's hang out some more.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

The World Inferno posted:

I don't know if it's terribly detailed, but they do do exit polls for movies, its called CinemaScore. According to them, audiences gave TLJ an A.

Although audiences also gave "Ferdinand" an A, so pinch of salt and all that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jewmanji posted:

Also you can't just say "cycles". Just because the plot moves in cycles doesn't mean that most characters in Star Wars don't have linear progressions.

Here's the problem: You're pretending Luke's arc ended in ROTJ. This is the next phase of that progression: into the person who makes the mistakes the next generation has to clean up.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Maybe Kylo is telling the truth. Maybe Luke had every intention of killing him.

Arist posted:

Here's the problem: You're pretending Luke's arc ended in ROTJ. This is the next phase of that progression: into the person who makes the mistakes the next generation has to clean up.

He had his arc. Luke's story was told. This is regression.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

aware of dog posted:

I don't know if it's terribly detailed, but they do do exit polls for movies, its called CinemaScore. According to them, audiences gave TLJ an A.

Although audiences also gave "Ferdinand" an A, so pinch of salt and all that.

I haven't seen it or anything but Ferdinand is apparently an okay movie

Yaws posted:

Maybe Kylo is telling the truth. Maybe Luke had every intention of killing him.

Now you're just deliberately leaning into the least charitable possible reading of a film in order to justify your distaste with a specific element, which is dumb.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arist posted:

I reckon a lot of people took their bathroom break during the conversation between Luke and Yoda.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yaws posted:

He had his arc. Luke's story was told. This is regression.

It clearly wasn't told, because now this movie exists. And why can't a movie portray regression, especially for only the briefest of moments?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Arist posted:

They have artistic license to do that. It clearly works for a lot of people. I think it's bad writing. A random person might be tempted in that kind of moment, but not the Luke from the end of ROTJ. The whole point of the "cycles" talk is that Luke is the person to break these types of cycles by espousing non-violence. He's Christ-like. You don't think maybe he'd first try to have a heart to heart with his nephew before beheading him?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Jewmanji posted:

They have artistic license to do that. It clearly works for a lot of people. I think it's bad writing. A random person might be tempted in that kind of moment, but not the Luke from the end of ROTJ. The whole point of the "cycles" talk is that Luke is the person to break these types of cycles by espousing non-violence. He's Christ-like. You don't think maybe he'd first try to have a heart to heart with his nephew before beheading him?

I think he would have, because the character looks into the camera and tells us that.

It's funny you make the Christ comparison, because in Christian mythology Christ was tempted. Resisting the temptation is what counts.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Arist posted:

It clearly wasn't told, because now this movie exists. And why can't a movie portray regression, especially for only the briefest of moments?

What was so wrong with the simple optimistic ending in RotJ? Why do they need to ruin that? Everyone was fine with it for 35 loving years. The second it's out of Lucas' hands they undo everything in the OT. All the main characters are dead. The galaxy is in the same place it was at the beginning of a New Hope

I get that this is all make believe and it doesn't matter. I just wish they would've left the OT alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Cnut the Great and Mark Hampell both agree that TLJ is "not my Luke Skywalker"