Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm in the end game I haven't yet found the Q-beam gun or whatever it's called, this weapon I've never seen that operators drop ammo for.

You must go to the dread cafeteria, where within the heart of freezing sleeps the raygun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Or, you know, the actual Beams and Waves testing lab.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Entropic posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm in the end game I haven't yet found the Q-beam gun or whatever it's called, this weapon I've never seen that operators drop ammo for.

Theres a bunch around, but theres one in the hardware labs and one in the freezer which are probably the easiet. Hardware labs one is in the laser lab, freezer is in the crew quarters

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hank Morgan posted:

An Arkane take on Flight Unlimited would be a sight to see.

If nothing else it would actually make the silent protagonist and shallow gameplay not seem like a developer oversight in tyool 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You forgot the one in the GUTS which I think is where you're supposed to get it first? I dunno for sure.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

I got my first Q-Beam while getting lost in space.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I walked right past Waves and Beams my first time through and didn't get the quest for the one in GUTS until... after Alex's apartment I think, when I looked up if I was missing anything quest-wise.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Glagha posted:

You forgot the one in the GUTS which I think is where you're supposed to get it first? I dunno for sure.

You can get the one in the testing room when you get the shape shifting ability.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

The earliest Q-beam you can get is in the test chamber in the Beams and Waves lab; it requires a spacewalk (which you'll be doing anyways) and Repair skill. You'll be going right past the thing you need to repair on your way to the lab keycard, so it doesn't take you out of your way at all. Once you've done that it has no other prerequisites, just walk into the lab, unlock the test rig and pick it up.

If you missed that the next one is in the GUTS. It has no special requirements, but isn't immediately obvious, and the audio logs and emails pointing at it are mostly in the Beams and Waves lab, so you if you have the clues for it you probably also already have a Q-beam.

There's like half a dozen others scattered around the station too, and I think you can even eventually get a blueprint for them, but I haven't paid much attention to where because I just grab the one in B&W.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
There's also a Q-Beam on a corpse in a maintenance hatchway area in the station exterior IIRC, although I can't recall exactly where on the station it is. You can grab that on your first spacewalk even if you don't have repair skill for the lab.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
do I ever get the ability to tame Mimics? I'm in the hardware lab and this lil fella keeps turning into a trash can and rolling around but never really attacking me, i wanna keep him

Tumble fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 21, 2017

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tumble posted:

do I ever get the ability to tame Mimics? I'm in the hardware lab and this lil fella keeps turning into a trash can and rolling around but never really attacking me, i wanna keep him

Sadly not, but you can create Phantom buddies erry'day.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
But I don't friggin' like Phantoms :(

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Try using the mimic skill and become a trash can too, maybe you can bond with it that way.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToxicFrog posted:

The earliest Q-beam you can get is in the test chamber in the Beams and Waves lab; it requires a spacewalk (which you'll be doing anyways) and Repair skill. You'll be going right past the thing you need to repair on your way to the lab keycard, so it doesn't take you out of your way at all. Once you've done that it has no other prerequisites, just walk into the lab, unlock the test rig and pick it up.

If you missed that the next one is in the GUTS. It has no special requirements, but isn't immediately obvious, and the audio logs and emails pointing at it are mostly in the Beams and Waves lab, so you if you have the clues for it you probably also already have a Q-beam.

There's like half a dozen others scattered around the station too, and I think you can even eventually get a blueprint for them, but I haven't paid much attention to where because I just grab the one in B&W.

There's actually a coffee pot sized hole in a section of floor above the energy exotic lab that you can use to hop inside if you don't want to grab the prerequisite level of repair.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 21, 2017

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

There's also a stun gun in the very beginning, in the room with the restraint chair. (I don't remember December's instructions, so not sure if that's already been referenced)

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Sadly not, but you can create Phantom buddies erry'day.

You totally do, if by 'tame' you mean 'forcible psychic takeover'.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grey Fox posted:

There's also a stun gun in the very beginning, in the room with the restraint chair. (I don't remember December's instructions, so not sure if that's already been referenced)

The code to the safe in that room has been erased on its whiteboard, but you can find it later on in a looking glass recording of that room by leaning over to see it.

turn off the TV posted:

The attention to detail in this game is amazing.

Coincidentally,

quote:

Section 5150 is a section of the California Welfare and Institutions Code the (Lanterman–Petris–Short Act or "LPS") which authorizes a qualified officer or clinician to involuntarily confine a person suspected to have a mental disorder that makes them a danger to themselves, a danger to others, or gravely disabled. A qualified officer, which includes any California peace officer, as well as any specifically-designated county clinician, can request the confinement after signing a written declaration stating the psychiatric diagnosis that the diagnosing medical professional believes to be the cause or reason why they believe the patient to be "a danger to themselves or others" or the psychiatric disorder that has rendered the patient incapable of making their own medical treatment decisions.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

turn off the TV posted:

The code to the safe in that room has been erased on its whiteboard, but you can find it later on in a looking glass recording of that room by leaning over to see it.
It's not in the safe ;)

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Grey Fox posted:

It's not in the safe ;)

I'm aware, I just think that the safe is another example of the pretty neat way they handled the level design and story in that game. There were a lot of moments in Prey where I did something that I figured the devs never intended me to do, like lean when watching that video or fly around the Talos 1 station despite only having one airlock open, only to find a cool reward or side area that still felt like it made perfect sense.

e: For reference, here's what I was talking about earlier with the beam lab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fb4CnnmRSPU

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Yeah I didn’t get the whole sense that this was a reboot in the same vein as system shock 2. It was bright with no sense of dread, all the monsters were black blobs, and you could turn into a cup. So I just made it out to be a weird shooter with weird abilities.

I did try out the demo on ps4 and was interested but it ran terribly. Then I got it for pc.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

I'm aware, I just think that the safe is another example of the pretty neat way they handled the level design and story in that game. There were a lot of moments in Prey where I did something that I figured the devs never intended me to do, like lean when watching that video or fly around the Talos 1 station despite only having one airlock open, only to find a cool reward or side area that still felt like it made perfect sense.

I'm pretty sure that's how you're expected to get the safe code; how else would you get it?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm pretty sure that's how you're expected to get the safe code; how else would you get it?

That is how you're supposed to get it, which is why I like it. There were a lot of moments like that in the game where I was surprised and impressed by how well designed the game was.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

hampig posted:

You totally do, if by 'tame' you mean 'forcible psychic takeover'.

And resurrect totally useless corpses into new Phantom buddies.

It's like giving them a second chance :3

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm now able to make neuromods so all of a sudden fights went from something to avoid to something I need to do. I now enjoy the killing, and I've got my muscle memory down real good too, so I quickly stun the Typhons and either bludgeon them with my wrench or blast them with my shotgun if it's a busier area. The taser is my enabler.

I got like six cans of jellied eels you motherfuckers, you had best be scared.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Tumble posted:

I'm now able to make neuromods so all of a sudden fights went from something to avoid to something I need to do. I now enjoy the killing, and I've got my muscle memory down real good too, so I quickly stun the Typhons and either bludgeon them with my wrench or blast them with my shotgun if it's a busier area. The taser is my enabler.

I got like six cans of jellied eels you motherfuckers, you had best be scared.

That's one thing I think this game really nails but unfortunately probably resulted in a bunch of people abandoning it in the first few hours. When you start even a mimic can severely gently caress you up if you get caught unawares and I basically spent all my time running from phantoms, but once the game opens up you become an unstoppable god. The only thing that really lets the late game down is that a lot of the enemies are annoying to fight and you go back to dashing around avoiding exploding radioactive tribbles.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

I'll throw my generic "Why wasn't this game better marketed?!" opinion in the pile.

Great game. The core mechanics are a blast to go from Scared-As-poo poo wrench wielder to Phantom-Bane psychic/shotgunner. I don't mind the backtracking at all, since the mimics and respawns keep everything dangerous. I like how much effort they put into the background characters. I'm not done with blowing up the station yet, but I appreciate the Big Mystery revolving around I'M YOU and the nature of Brain Injections.

It was a steal at $20. I recommend the poo poo out of it.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I've seen tons of people picking it up during the sale season, so maybe it wont be a total sales disaster.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I got this the other day and have been absolutely loving it. That said, I have a question.

I got the code for DeVries's office from the quarantine wall, but the keypad at his door just says 'No matching keycard' and won't let me access the number pad to put it in. Am I missing something?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Terra-da-loo! posted:

I got this the other day and have been absolutely loving it. That said, I have a question.

I got the code for DeVries's office from the quarantine wall, but the keypad at his door just says 'No matching keycard' and won't let me access the number pad to put it in. Am I missing something?

edit: wrong advice. if it's not working though there is a workaround: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IOUgNdDgEc

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
That's the keycode for his safe, not for his office. You still have to find the keycard to get in the office, or find another way like in that video ^^^

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
I spent, like, 40-something darts trying to get it to work bouncing off a gloo glob before I noticed that trick was recorded in the demo (though it could easily have not worked due to me sucking, alone). Now to spend some more trying to get that to work.

I more or less know the key to get in there will pop up somewhere down the road, but nah. I want in now, and I love that the game will let me if I try hard enough.

e: Oh man, the joy of getting that one to work. Thank you for sharing that.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

MadJackal posted:

I'll throw my generic "Why wasn't this game better marketed?!" opinion in the pile.

Great game. The core mechanics are a blast to go from Scared-As-poo poo wrench wielder to Phantom-Bane psychic/shotgunner. I don't mind the backtracking at all, since the mimics and respawns keep everything dangerous. I like how much effort they put into the background characters. I'm not done with blowing up the station yet, but I appreciate the Big Mystery revolving around I'M YOU and the nature of Brain Injections.

It was a steal at $20. I recommend the poo poo out of it.

I actually really loved the backtracking, which may sound strange, but the game did a good job not only of making revisiting areas feel logical, but also very satisfying. When I went back to the lobby for the first time after the section of the game starting with Psychotronics (I think), I realized that I could just jump off of a third floor balcony, fly to the giant statue in the middle of the room, run along it and then leap into my office without having to bother with any of the phantoms infesting the area. It's got that nice Metroidvania feel of progression through mobility, and the amount of possibilities opened up by new skills actually made me want to go back to old areas to see what kinds of weird poo poo I'd be able to do with my new double jump, teacup powers or nerf gun.

The design of the station also helped make backtracking feel better if only because everything is laid out in a pretty sensible way and nearly everything you backtrack to gets you at the very least to a spot you haven't been to before. The moment when you need to go get a part from a satellite was probably the worst example of backtracking for me, though, as I only stumbled across that objective because I had read specifically read how to trigger it, and by that point I had already done everything in the maintenance area.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

The first quarter or so of the game (IE the neuromod division, the lobby and the beam lab in the lab area) had pretty strong Metroidvania vibes, but after Psychotronics there stops being so many places you necessarily have to come back later for - at that point, you’ve got the gloo/bowcaster, hacking skills, and/or mimic powers to access just about any closed off area you come across.

The lobby at least is so consistently stocked with nasty typhon that you’re more incentivized to find ways around combat - if there’s a big criticism to be leveled against the game it’s that stealth is not an optimized mechanic, and often impossible in levels without easily traversable verticality. the only enemy the nerf gun actually distracts is the cystoid. Every other typhon knows exactly where you are as soon as they hear the impact.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Yeah, the game is still fairly linear in terms of progression, but there were a decent number of times where I'd finally have enough neuromods to dump into something like increased strength and I'd run back through the levels in order to grab or recycle stuff I couldn't reach before in order to make more bullets, batteries and neuromods with. Maybe it's because of a difference in difficulty or game mods, but certain abilities like the higher levels of hacking, strength, repair, etc. kind took a back seat in favor of stuff that would help me not die in my last play through, so I wound up walking past lots of strength/hacking/whatever tier 2 and 3 checks pretty often. Not quite the same thing as a Metroidvania, but enough to make me appreciate how my character's abilities were letting me do new things.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Two things I wish for are better stealth and turrets having any use at all against anything heavier than a mimic

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Turrets are actually pretty drat useful on legendary since its difficulty quickly stops being whether or not you can kill something, but whether or not you can afford to kill something. I used turrets pretty much whenever they were available on legendary up until the point where the game starts throwing multiple phantoms at you at once, and it's easier and cheaper just to grab Typhon combat abilities and let the turrets go hostile.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
They're useful on lower difficulties too, as long as you upgrade them and put them together in a defensive position. The biggest downside is having to do the crappy hacking minigame so many times.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Turrets are just too easy to knock over to be very useful against most things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Missed opportunity to gloo turrets to the floor when you expect phantoms to show up, I suppose. It would probably be tough to implement except in some immersion breaking way, though.