Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
If gooncrawl doesn't give felids and octopedes scarfs what's even the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sojenus
Dec 28, 2008

alter scarves for octopodes to friendly little magic crabs that hang onto you

edit: charms replacement: use above idea as basis for new crabomancy skill

Sojenus fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 21, 2017

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Tollymain posted:

what was the point of sludge elves back in the day i don't really remember

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
What the gently caress am I looking at

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

What the gently caress am I looking at

Tales of Game’s Studios Presents Chef Boyardee’s Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa

Although I'm pretty sure that description was ripped straight from Dungeon Crawl without any modifications.

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

World Famous W posted:

Add a prompt every hour or so of play to ask if you're to tired/high to keep playing.

Hey, don't underestimate the power of being high/drunk. I won my first ever game in a state where I couldn't have found my arse if I used both hands. Slows you down and stops you rushing into situations that'll kill you.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
For what its worth, I don't think the game needs sludge elves or mountain dwarves. I want high elves back in because I feel like their apts were unique enough that there is a gap left in their absence. I never played sludge elves a lot, but I don't think they had a niche that others can't fill just as well. As for mountain dwarves, well they are just worse minotaurs. There's no reason for them to be around. That said, I'm not gonna object to them being included if people want them. Unlike the devs, I don't think them just existing is problematic. If people wanna be a bad dwarf then just let them.

Also instead of getting hats and cloaks I think felids should be able to wear two pairs of boots.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I don't think felids should get two pairs of boots, but I do think formicids should get two pairs of gloves

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

For what its worth, I don't think the game needs sludge elves or mountain dwarves. I want high elves back in because I feel like their apts were unique enough that there is a gap left in their absence. I never played sludge elves a lot, but I don't think they had a niche that others can't fill just as well. As for mountain dwarves, well they are just worse minotaurs. There's no reason for them to be around. That said, I'm not gonna object to them being included if people want them. Unlike the devs, I don't think them just existing is problematic. If people wanna be a bad dwarf then just let them.
It's more like mountain dwarves will need an overhaul to make them interesting. But the first step to that is adding them.

quote:

Also instead of getting hats and cloaks I think felids should be able to wear two pairs of boots.
Por que no los dos?

IronicDongz posted:

I don't think felids should get two pairs of boots, but I do think formicids should get two pairs of gloves
I feel like this would be a fantastic rebalance if easy-access to haste comes back, because the loss of it did a soft un-nerf to buggybugs.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Joking aside, Mountain Dwarves should come back in a reworked, interesting form if only to make the weirdness of Deep Dwarves stand out more. No idea what that would be, but surely we haven't tapped every possible fighter race idea.

Sludge Elves technically had a niche, but their apts were just barely ahead of Merfolk wrt Transmutation/Unarmed. Octopodes, Draconians and Trolls honestly make more interesting Transmuters (or Earth Elementalists turned Transmuters, in a Troll's case).

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

pathetic little tramp posted:

we already have jester class, automatically worships nemelex and is equipped with 6 throwing pies

not making that up, it's still in the code somewhere

Oooh, can we add that in?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Oooh, can we add that in?
Please?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

FebrezeNinja posted:

Like what? There's always the chance someone here might be bored over Christmas week. *cough*

They're more kind of thought experiments on what sort of balancing would be needed to get cool ideas at least not instantly shut down by the current devs, or they're the result of trying to find new design space from combinations of spell schools. I guess at the least opening them to discussion is better than me sitting on them forever.

First up is wanting to have a player castable blink bolt. This is easily the one I've put the most thought into. So there's the monster spell that's already in the game, and you can cast it in wizard mode, complete with the camera following the bolt. The monster version requires a target and the range is to the edge of LOS and if it hits a wall it bounces like shock or lightning bolt. This is kind of extremely strong and it's completely understandable why the monster version isn't in the hands of the player, it's way more predictable than normal balance allows for translocation spells even with a spell level over passage of Golubria. I feel the targeting and the linearity are a vital part of the flavor and can also be a solid limiting factor due to enemies moving in ways the player can't control, so my proposal is to randomize how far the player travels along the line because that fits the design space of both translocations in general and electric spells in terms of targeting. Roll a dice equal to the amount of free spaces in the range and if the target enemy wouldn't get hit on the resulting line have the animation go to the edge of the range and back to the landing square and double zap the enemy. This means there's some choice and skill involved in the spell, the enemy is more likely to get double zapped the further away from you they are (and at the maximum range it's guaranteed) and the closer they are the more likely you're going to end up on the other side of them. If there's no free space along the line due to enemies then have all of them get double zapped and don't move the player, but make that the only case where the player doesn't move when casting. The average damage per single zap should be less than a single cast of static discharge. Obviously it shouldn't be able to target an elec resisting enemy, if one is on the other side of a valid target have it count as the max range. The initial idea was to make a level 4 spell to fit the gap in the book of air that airstrike later filled, but level 5 like the monster spell might be a decent fit. I don't want it to be a no-brainer spam it for damage spell, more of something where it's fiddly but can be used with skill for great effect. I think it would work in the books of air and the warp, or the books of spatial translocations and the sky, or maybe even just keep it as a mid/high level spell and have it in the books of the warp and the sky, all depending on where it fits best but I don't think it should be in more than one starting book.

Everything else is half-assed in comparison.

Two turn/action time stop! Level 9 Enchantments/Hexes spell. Perhaps make it exhaust you after you use it or hurt you if you cast it too many times in quick succession, say it's because you start to feel the weight of the world as you use it more. Though there's already kind of an upper limit in place on how much you can cast it just on sheer mana cost, even with ways to refill it. Mostly gimmicky.

I kind of wanted an earth/ice spell where icicles (made of frozen groundwater maybe? Call it groundwater spears?) erupt from the ground and pin an enemy in place, like netting them but with a chance to do a bit of damage if they break free. Perhaps make the spell work like several throw icicles and/or stone arrows in terms of damage and targeting, with a certain number needing to hit for the pin to happen. Flying enemies can get an evasion bonus and can't get pinned, but they still take full damage. Creatures with higher HD get better chances to break free. Spell level 6 or 7. Smite targeted, but with a maximum range of 4 or 5.

So when I was taking my time to get my thoughts together for this post I wanted to mention that I know it's kind of a nerd trap to try to make a spell for every combination of two spell schools, even if the spells feel unique every school would feel homogeneous because it has a combo with everything else. I tried to come up with an example for a school combo that didn't really need to happen and I thought of earth/necromancy. Then I was like "Wait, there's actually a cool flavorful idea if done right! You kill and poison the land and everything suffers around you!" After that I didn't want to try to come up with another combination to use as an example.

Anyway, level 5 or 6, maybe even 7 Necromancy/Poison/Earth. Call it wasteland, or land of death, or blight land, there's a lot of potential names. For a duration of like 20 or more turns you infuse the ground with death and decay. Living creatures should get sick and weak. Clouds of miasma and poison roil across your view. Plants wither. Water loses color and spectral mist wafts above it (spectral things, if any, should be neutral to everything). Lava takes on the grey of surface pyroclastic flow and sulfur (Mephitic I guess) clouds vent from it. Even the mere act of walking can cause the ground to give way and hurt whoever is moving (make it like stepping in a blade trap or a one turn net trap). All of these things should be part of a result of the land protesting against you, and even Qazlal shouldn't be able to prevent the clouds from affecting you. After the effect ends make it take like another 50 turns before the spell can be cast again, I guess flavor it as you can't do it again or the whole floor might start to give way and collapse completely. I gotta be honest, I think I might have gotten the kernel of this idea from talking to someone in my chat while playing at one point and forgotten about the details, so I just kind of filled poo poo in off the top of my head.

I have some other spell ideas, but a lot are like "Hey, what about a spell school where you write magic circles/arrays in the air or on the ground that power up or increase the efficiency of your spells, or give you access to spells you wouldn't otherwise be able to cast." Needs a lot more meat to the idea.

cheetah7071 posted:

At one point I looked into how easy it'd be to implement the unique King Krab which is a crab that comes with a pack of other crabs, breaths random breath, and drops the unrand +2 Krab Krown {rCloud} but I couldn't even figure out how to make a unique come with a pack even trying to use Louise as an example

Did you try checking how Azrael and Sojobo do it?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Akett posted:

Two turn/action time stop! Level 9 Enchantments/Hexes spell. Perhaps make it exhaust you after you use it or hurt you if you cast it too many times in quick succession, say it's because you start to feel the weight of the world as you use it more. Though there's already kind of an upper limit in place on how much you can cast it just on sheer mana cost, even with ways to refill it. Mostly gimmicky.

Just for reference, look at the Serpent's Lash ability for WJC.

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Huh, haha, derp, I don't think I played WJC since before they were added to trunk, just haven't played any characters where they fit what I was doing. I was kind of more thinking of specifically a JoJo's Bizzarre Adventure reference, and also it was kind of a thought experiment to have it as a spell instead of tethering it to a god. My initial version kind of had the idea of it starting as just two turns and going up as far as five with enough spell power, because again JoJo's reference.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Floodkiller posted:

Survey for the first batch of feature requests is located here:
https://goo.gl/forms/dUNVjwRSWNHMQvvi2

Posting this again for this page in case anyone missed it yesterday. The more responses, the better!

I'll likely get around to closing the survey and compiling results around Christmas Eve, although I might close it earlier if responses stop coming in. After that, I'll put together the to-do list on the Project page on GitHub for any simple features that will go into Gooncrawl v1.0 (to get something out the door). Complex approved features will have design discussion pages created on the wiki, and will get added to the to-do list once a final design is decided upon.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FK is a goon superhero.

Feature request: Floodkiller as a unique water elemental in Shoals

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I put it in the survey but I don't think Distill should come back as-is. The corpse system is different now (and returning brown chunks is a bad thing) and the old combo was frankly overpowered. You could coast almost entirely on that all through orc/lair/hive/elf because it was mephitic cloud and poisonous cloud all in one package at basically zero cost.

I'd rather see a version of distillation that consumed good potions (of your choice) instead of corpses and gave you stronger fuel for evaporate. Maybe also give spellpower a bigger influence so that it's not just a pair of level 2 spells anyone can get with minimum investment.

E: Also I'm surprised no one mentioned hive as a thing to bring back.

E2: Actually with the above suggestion you could combine the spells into one level 4 necromancy/transmute spell that consumes a potion and immediately throws it as if it were a potion of rot. Basically like how mephitic cloud works but with miasma and expending a potion.

Darox fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 21, 2017

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Darox posted:

E: Also I'm surprised no one mentioned hive as a thing to bring back.

Totally forgot about it, it's been so long.

A timed vault with loot at the end and puddles of honey that act like shallow water would be sweet.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

FK is a goon superhero.

Feature request: Floodkiller as a unique water elemental in Shoals
This isn't actually a shitpost, I make a legit motion that the first new content should be a unique of some kind for Flood. Giving a well deserved little shout out for herding us cats in a productive direction.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Clearly he should come with a pack of Felids with that comment.

FnF
Apr 10, 2008
I'm a little surprised that re-instating Repel Missiles (spell) hasn't been mentioned. Was there a general consensus on whether its removal was a good thing or not? If it's felt to be too strong, why not make it so you can't have it active when you're wearing armour heavier than leather (like Ozo's).

Either way, I really appreciate the positive & productive way this thread's turned :)

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Heithinn Grasida posted:

:awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon:
Beware! I'm about to tell you why you all suck!
:awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon::awesomelon:

No, actually this is what I think is wrong with crawl design and how gooncrawl could improve on it. I don't blame you if you don't like my posts. I write long, wordy posts about game design because I'm a huge nerd and that's what I like to do.

I once described Crawl as a minimalist game with maximalist tendencies. I've always favored a slightly more maximalist approach compared to the status quo, but in recent versions, I feel the game is shrinking towards a much stricter minimalism as its cardinal principle. Cutting extraneous content is good design. The reasons for that have been brought up many times and I fundamentally agree. But the meaning of extraneous is not inherently clear. Something can be extraneous in one way and not another. The criteria for determining what kind of content is desirable have shifted in DCSS. Here I'll list what I think are the various ways in which development has moved towards an excessively minimalist approach and how I think a potential Gooncrawl should differ. These statements are not absolute. In fact, in most cases, I think the devs handle these issue well, and are only off by a matter of degree, not principle.

-Excessive denial of fantasy: 'Roleplay' is a dirty word for Crawl, and that's fine. This is not that kind of game. But it is still a fantasy RPG. Ogres, dwarves and elves are inseparable from the game to a certain extent. Even if their names are changed, they shouldn't be completely separated. On a macro scale, the specific features of a species, or any other piece of content, are far more significant than its name. But if its name is dissonant with what the content represents in game mechanics, either the name or the mechanics should change. The above is not controversial. What is more so, but I believe to be an important failing of current dev trends, is that content ought to accommodate fantasy to a certain degree. People want to make an agile swordsman character that wears light armor and casts some spells. Previously, they played high elf for that. High elf was removed with the idea in mind that they ought to just be playing human, draconian or another strong hybrid species and invest in dex and dodging. But that's not very psychologically rewarding, since not only the name, but also the numbers associated with the species don't feel rewarding to someone who goes into the character creation screen with a certain concept in mind. So, high elf, even if we accept the argument that it was mechanically extraneous, was important in the more significant realm of player reward. Even if we accept the argument that lowering Ogres' m&f apt creates more choices, it doesn't have that effect in the mind of the majority of players looking at the character creation screen. Crawl is now tending to ignore what people want to play in favor of what they ought to want to play, which is a bad direction to go.

-Emphasis on removing fluff: hammers, pizza and boulder beetles didn't add much to the game mechanically. People even didn't like boulder beetles for understandable reasons. But just because something is not necessary to game mechanics, doesn't mean it should be removed. The game needs texture. There need to be things that ground the player in the game and let them create images of what's going on aside from pure mechanics. And there need to be things that take them out of the game and have a break. Removing those hurts the game.

-Too much focus on preventing optimal, but very unlikely play. Duvessa posted in the Tavern that vampires and mummies pose a serious design problem. She said that either those species should be removed or they should be required to eat. If they don't, a player could stand on the stairs for tens of thousands of turns, while all the enemies come to them one by one, and stair dance them in safety. Certainly it's necessary for the game to prevent abusive play to an extent. If it confers such such an advantage compared the tedium of performing it that players feel it isn't a choice, it needs to be removed. But if Duvessa is the only person who would ever even conceive of doing it, it shouldn't be removed. Optimal, but tedious play needs to be balanced against the soft value such play provides to the game. Resting for tens of thousands of turns at the stairs is the correct punishment for resting for tens of thousands of turns at the stairs.

-Not enough attention payed to what the community likes: It's perfectly reasonable for the dev team to make the game they like. And I hardly believe that every change suggested by the community ought to make it into the game. But changes are now overly conservative, and dev responses to what people like are overtly caustic and diminutive. I don't view the devs as an elite, but most people think they speak to others as if they are. I think it's very likely a number of people community have just as good a sense of design as the devs. So the devs ought to be willing to engage more, and need to post nasty remarks less, unless the nasty remarks are funny, interesting and contribute to the discussion (they aren't and they don't).

-Excessive focus on simplicity: Insistence on simple play and clear mechanics (except with the large number of cases where the devs arbitrarily think this rule doesn't apply, like with accuracy, spell power depictions and damage numbers) generally differentiates, and in my opinion, elevates Crawl above other roguelikes. But again, the value of clear mechanics has to be weighed against other factors. Making people feel like the game has cool flavorful options that give players choices, like book amnesia, is more important than perfect simplicity and clarity of design.

If anyone actually made it to the end of that, please tell me why it's wrong. Maybe this is pointless, Floodkiller will get bored and decide we suck anyway, and nobody else will work on the project. But I'm writing about and discussing the game because that's what I like to do.

As a final point, I want to post a comment PF made to a commit in 2014.

I don't think any dev would make this comment today, and that's why I think today's devs suck.

Hell, same.

Maybe I misread or misremembered you as one of the people q.qing that we upset dpeg to the point that he ran away sobbing like an infant when he was disagreed with in the typical, playfully hyperbolic SA fashion.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Don't forget him basically telling us we were playing it wrong.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Everyone that isn’t HAM is technically playing the game wrong. This is an example of everything bad with current Crawl design.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Also, how long ago did DCB give up on placating the thread?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

gently caress, forgot to turn the survey off at 27 responses, the whole project's ruined :negative:

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Floodkiller posted:

gently caress, forgot to turn the survey off at 27 responses, the whole project's ruined :negative:

Another one bites the dust.....

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's more than 27 questions so the whole thing was rotten from the start

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

There's more than 27 questions so the whole thing was rotten from the start

You're right, we probably should have actually been thinking about how to pare Crawl down to 27 total features.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Winning is not one of them.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Is it too early to think about playable boulder beetles yet

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Darox posted:

I put it in the survey but I don't think Distill should come back as-is. The corpse system is different now (and returning brown chunks is a bad thing) and the old combo was frankly overpowered. You could coast almost entirely on that all through orc/lair/hive/elf because it was mephitic cloud and poisonous cloud all in one package at basically zero cost.

I'd rather see a version of distillation that consumed good potions (of your choice) instead of corpses and gave you stronger fuel for evaporate. Maybe also give spellpower a bigger influence so that it's not just a pair of level 2 spells anyone can get with minimum investment.

I totally get that, but I just love Fullsome distillation, balance be damned. I want use the power of alchemy to confuse dudes and then chop them up with my sludge elf's scissor hands, like Xom intended.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So on the subject of potential mechanic reforms, I was thinking about malmutate the other day. Someone said that to replace purple chunks, chaotic creatures could spawn mutagenic clouds on death. That made me think; why not turn malutate into a breath attack that spews mutagenic clouds? Make it operate with the same mechanics that catoblepas petrification dust does; having it sprayed on you does nothing, but if you stay in it for more than 1 turn you begin to suffer from bad mutations.

I feel this is a good replacement for malumtate for several reasons;

-its functions like an earlier breath attack so the player can use the same tactics to avoid it
-it maintains malmutates status as a spell that causes permanent damage
-it allows the player to avoid the spell but turns it into a hazard that can influence their choices in a fight beyond the turn the monster uses the spell

The main issue I can see with this is that it would mean monsters would get caught in mutagenic clouds and I'm not familiar with how that affects them. Might have to tweak the effects of those clouds on monsters to keep it from being beneficial to the player, if it even is.

Not saying this needs to go in Gooncrawl ASAP, just something to consider for the future.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Internet Kraken posted:

So on the subject of potential mechanic reforms, I was thinking about malmutate the other day. Someone said that to replace purple chunks, chaotic creatures could spawn mutagenic clouds on death. That made me think; why not turn malutate into a breath attack that spews mutagenic clouds? Make it operate with the same mechanics that catoblepas petrification dust does; having it sprayed on you does nothing, but if you stay in it for more than 1 turn you begin to suffer from bad mutations.

I feel this is a good replacement for malumtate for several reasons;

-its functions like an earlier breath attack so the player can use the same tactics to avoid it
-it maintains malmutates status as a spell that causes permanent damage
-it allows the player to avoid the spell but turns it into a hazard that can influence their choices in a fight beyond the turn the monster uses the spell

The main issue I can see with this is that it would mean monsters would get caught in mutagenic clouds and I'm not familiar with how that affects them. Might have to tweak the effects of those clouds on monsters to keep it from being beneficial to the player, if it even is.

Mutagenic clouds polymorph monsters or malmutates them, IIRC. Malmutate on monsters gives them a penalty of -1 AC, -1 speed if their speed is over a certain minimum (I don't remember where that is but it's pretty slow), and -10% less damage output, stacking three or four times (I forget that too). It does not time out.

The effects of mutagenic clouds on monsters might need to be tweaked if this goes in but I like making it work like petrification dust. It's still a real danger if you can't maneuver, and monsters who can cause it are more likely to get you in hard-to-avoid positions than fighting catoblepas in Lair, but you can always try to back off and find better ground for it.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Cicadalek posted:

Is it too early to think about playable boulder beetles yet

No, I think we are already behind schedule implementing BB.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Malmute changes: Remove.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
In a one-on-one fight Catoblepas breath is basically a free turn so this would reduce the scariness of OoFs in one on one situations. Might be fine or might mean you just remove it from their spell list as part of their reform

If this gets implemented and remains on OoF and Mnoleg spell lists it'd be neat to have Killer Klowns get buffed by mutagenic clouds

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Catoblepas are slower than the player so them wasting their turn is more substantial. Creatures with the same or higher speed than the player wouldn't really be wasting their turn by spawning mutagenic clouds because it forces a movement action from you, and most of the time your movement options have no offensive value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
I am extremely excited for the idea of a Crawl that hasn't had all the joy and fun slowly sucked out of it. Good luck.

• Locked thread