Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

WW1 is one of those things where I don't think straight-up documentary realism or such can ever adequately convey its horror, to properly do it justice you need you a painter like Otto Dix:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waffles beyond waffles
Jun 22, 2008

Oh, what a day...
What a lovely day!
Hardcore History's Blueprint for Armageddon does a good job detailing the horror of barb wire. It is basically immune to artillery shells.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They just needed to carry a sample size of carpet around, throw that over the barbed wire and climb on over easy peasy!

Ok I know it’s not always that easy but sometimes it is :)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I was surprised that Garrath didn't know hanging from the old barbed wire.

As I heard it, it goes down the ranks where the officers do things like sleep, get drunk, etc. Then it ends with the private. The first and last verse go something like this.

Hanging on the Old Barbed Wire posted:

If you want to find the general
I know where he is, I know where he is, I know where he is
If you want to find the general, I know where he is
He's hanging another medal on his chest.
I saw him, I saw him, hanging another medal on his chest
Hanging another medal on his chest.

If you want to find the private
I know where he is, I know where he is, I know where he is
If you want to find the private, I know where he is
He's hanging on the old barbed wire.
I saw him, I saw him, hanging on the old barbed wire
Hanging on the old barbed wire

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
I have a scar on my chest from walking into a barbed wire fence I couldn't see in the dark. It ruined my shirt too. 😕

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.
I'm going through the archives, and I just noticed Episode 63 is missing. Anyone know what episode that was/why it's gone?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

Binowru posted:

I'm going through the archives, and I just noticed Episode 63 is missing. Anyone know what episode that was/why it's gone?

They deleted a few because of "plagiarism"

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
The missing episodes are still on their old site. Like http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-63-smollop/

Just enter the episode number in the search.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Donnerberg posted:

The missing episodes are still on their old site. Like http://thedollop.net/wp/episode-63-smollop/

Just enter the episode number in the search.

that is... quite a website

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
edit: nvm

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 12, 2017

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Previa_fun posted:

SubSEEquent.

Also the new ep was pretty good. Maybe it's just the contrast with all the live episodes lately. The only real good live ones are with Wil Anderson IMO and audio can be hit or miss (but seems to have gotten better as of late)

He had a speech impediment as a kid. Was one of the words he said over and over and this was how it was pronounced to get over his impediment.

He explained this on Facebook.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

LentThem posted:

The part that gets rough for me is Dave not actually understanding anything he has in his script leading to situations where:
-Dave reads a passage and some phrase comes up that I don't understand, Dave doesn't understand, and Gareth doesn't understand
-Gareth asks Dave what he means
-Dave repeats his sentence, shuffling the exact same words around each time Gareth prompts him
-Gareth eventually gives up and pretends that he now understands, making a quip that is probably wrong
-Dave moves on to the next passage

If I'm not at a computer to look it up myself, then I have to just give up and wonder why Dave left in a passage that he couldn't understand or explain - it gets super close to "I stole someone else's book report for my presentation and hope the teacher doesn't notice" territory.

I've noticed this too but those are often quotes from a long time ago and the language is confusing. Quote are quotes.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

dougdougdougdoug posted:

He had a speech impediment as a kid. Was one of the words he said over and over and this was how it was pronounced to get over his impediment.

He got over his speech impediment by mispronouncing a word?

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Snowy posted:

He got over his speech impediment by mispronouncing a word?

They probably wanted him to move his tongue in a certain way and didn't care about the word. This wasn't uncommon at the time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

dougdougdougdoug posted:

Yo I'm aware but thanks

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
He's not a kid anymore.

Arguably.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Gareth thought a "firefight" included literal flames. :newlol:

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

prefect posted:

Gareth thought a "firefight" included literal flames. :newlol:

I also enjoyed a couple 2017 urbanites completely mystified by old time ranching practices. "But they were concerned about nature, right?"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

stealie72 posted:

I also enjoyed a couple 2017 urbanites completely mystified by old time ranching practices. "But they were concerned about nature, right?"

Yeah, somewhere along the line, Gareth decided the anti-wire people were doing it because it was more "natural". :rolleye: :newlol:

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

Some interesting news about Uber today.

BuzzFeed posted:

Uber Accused Of Espionage, Bribery, Hacking, And More In Bombshell Letter

A former Uber employee accused the company of corporate espionage, unlawful surveillance, illegal wiretapping, bribery of foreign officials, and illicit hacking.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanmac/ric-jacobs-uber-letter-allegations-waymo?utm_term=.uypWqOr49#.fkzKpqBEM

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
one question as a newer listener. Gareth always likes to joke about how serious hats used to be. I was wondering if anyone knows what episode that bit originally came from, since I don't really see one that makes it jump out

there is probably enough material since late May alone that would justify an Uber part 2

discovery for the Uber/Waymo case didn't start until a few weeks before the episode was done, around the same time that Travis Kalanick's mother drowned in a tragic boating accident which he used as cover to step down from running the company

the lawsuit might be dead around now if the judge didn't get that letter at the end of discovery and ordered them back because he could not believe that any company could be as stupid as Uber

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hats started as some serious business very early in the show, best to just start at the beginning and work through it all so the references make sense. Someone else might know better though.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Straw Hat Riot is the big one, as I recall.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Hats get mentioned here and there but yeah, Straw Hat Riot is the ep that really burns "hats were serious business" into Gareth's mind.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

i was like "straw hat riot wasn't an early episode???" but it's one 129 out of currently 306, so yeah, i guess that counts as early now, wow

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Episode 30 (The Taxidermist) laid some groundwork too, I think, with Gareth shocked at the ridiculous nature documentary scenes that were being put on hats.

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

My question is, when did wearing a hat become a requirement?

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
I could be wrong but I think they made the revelation about hats during the episode where a new bridge was built and everyone wanted to go walk on it, and in news articles about the crowded claustrophobic panic the kept drawing attention to how people were losing their hats in the chaos - it was given about as much significance as losing track of your family on the bridge.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A distant second to the importance of hats is how much attention ship arrivals and departures used to get.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

LentThem posted:

I could be wrong but I think they made the revelation about hats during the episode where a new bridge was built and everyone wanted to go walk on it, and in news articles about the crowded claustrophobic panic the kept drawing attention to how people were losing their hats in the chaos - it was given about as much significance as losing track of your family on the bridge.

Yeah I think that was the Brooklyn bridge crushing episode. Was just looking for that one in reference to the hat thing.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I love the hats in the taxidermist episode

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

See also Mashers and Hatpins, in which we learn women used to stab catcallers with the giant spikes that were holding dead birds in place on their heads.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Episode 232 - Breaking Glenn Burke was the first episode that ever invoked a real visceral response for me. I was crying by the end of the show. I wish Glenn could've been the openly gay, loving awesome baseball player he was always meant to be.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Gone Fashing posted:

Yeah I think that was the Brooklyn bridge crushing episode. Was just looking for that one in reference to the hat thing.

There's also the Orange Catholic Riots, where it doesn't hit home for people how many people were just massacred until they see all their hats laid out.

God, that's such a great episode.

dougdougdougdoug
Jun 10, 2016

Gargamel Gibson posted:

He's not a kid anymore.

Arguably.

Imagine how peaceful and simple the world would be if people could easily get over things from childhood.

But, as we've heard in endless episodes of The Dollop, that's not how life works.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

dougdougdougdoug posted:

Imagine how peaceful and simple the world would be if people could easily get over things from childhood.

But, as we've heard in endless episodes of The Dollop, that's not how life works.

Imagine a world where the Rube got that puppy

Lor
Oct 9, 2006

Man, I love this podcast. History and comedy and (ultra-short-form?) improv(?) - turns out it's just my thing, and I'm not even that interested in American history (or at least I thought I wasn't). Discovered it about 3 weeks ago and have gone through about a hundred.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-22522695

I recently saw this and all I can think of goddamn loving Burke and Wills.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd be surprised if the dollop weren't already selling hats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

They should be doing licensed taxidermy hats

Ps happy new year