Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Dandywalken posted:

This mod seems cool. Hadn't heard of it before.

They announced it on Reddit originally, but it was kind of a wet dream for someone who played TT from 5th-7th and always dreamed of a TW Warhammer (even if just MP battles). But TW Warhammer honestly doesn't feel like TT, and this mod fixes that.

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any reason you couldn't bring ranged for some reason? Basically any semblance of ranged infantry will see off almost any skirmish cav. I agree that its a little annoying how archers can get range/RoF/damage/accuracy bonuses with lords, tech, vet, etc, while anti-ranged units just kind of stay static. Even light cav starts falling off a bit in general.

e: I'd rather see it doing more morale damage but decrease accuracy in general. That way it'd still be a decent counter to larger targets like monsters, etc while being less effective against general troops.

Playing a coop VC campaign right now, for one. I'm not sure if it's SFO, but normal counters (fell bars, wolves) have trouble even running off Free Company and quarrelers with SFO. Shades, gutter runners, chameleon skinks, reavers, and Glade riders are obnoxious to fight no matter what you bring.

Mostly my complaint about it is :spergin: I played a MP battle this week (no mods) against the cancer of Wood Elves. 2 units of Glade guard routed a unit of Bestigors before they even made it there, and the Bestigors had just finished beating up sea guard, so they weren't far away. As a TT player, I have some problems with this. Mostly that ranged on TT wasn't very effective unless you specifically build a gunline, but also that you only took a panic test if you suffered 25% casualties from ranged in one turn, and that didn't cause any leadership penalties for the test.

For comparison, 2 units of Glade guard on TT (assuming 10 wide, 2 ranks deep) get 40 shots. They'll hit with 26. 13 will wound. 10 will make it through saves. This will cause a panic test, yes, but they have a 5/6 chance of passing it if they're near a Lord, then they munch the shooty elves.

In general, shooting was painful, but the game was decided in close combat. And there wasn't a TW-ish leadership bar which had to regen. Getting basically anything into combat with a war machine crew was an instant win. Flank charging was basically an instant rout except elite units.

And it absolutely wasn't a counter to monster except war machines.

TW just doesn't feel like Warhammer. That's fine. It's not actually the same game. I don't even want to talk about RoR. But a little tweaking makes it feel better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

evol262 posted:

They announced it on Reddit originally, but it was kind of a wet dream for someone who played TT from 5th-7th and always dreamed of a TW Warhammer (even if just MP battles). But TW Warhammer honestly doesn't feel like TT, and this mod fixes that.

Playing a coop VC campaign right now, for one. I'm not sure if it's SFO, but normal counters (fell bars, wolves) have trouble even running off Free Company and quarrelers with SFO. Shades, gutter runners, chameleon skinks, reavers, and Glade riders are obnoxious to fight no matter what you bring.

Mostly my complaint about it is :spergin: I played a MP battle this week (no mods) against the cancer of Wood Elves. 2 units of Glade guard routed a unit of Bestigors before they even made it there, and the Bestigors had just finished beating up sea guard, so they weren't far away. As a TT player, I have some problems with this. Mostly that ranged on TT wasn't very effective unless you specifically build a gunline, but also that you only took a panic test if you suffered 25% casualties from ranged in one turn, and that didn't cause any leadership penalties for the test.

For comparison, 2 units of Glade guard on TT (assuming 10 wide, 2 ranks deep) get 40 shots. They'll hit with 26. 13 will wound. 10 will make it through saves. This will cause a panic test, yes, but they have a 5/6 chance of passing it if they're near a Lord, then they munch the shooty elves.

In general, shooting was painful, but the game was decided in close combat. And there wasn't a TW-ish leadership bar which had to regen. Getting basically anything into combat with a war machine crew was an instant win. Flank charging was basically an instant rout except elite units.

And it absolutely wasn't a counter to monster except war machines.

TW just doesn't feel like Warhammer. That's fine. It's not actually the same game. I don't even want to talk about RoR. But a little tweaking makes it feel better.

In my Norsca SFO campaign warhounds and icewolves were able to take care of pretty much any and all skirmishing units without much issue.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
which of you guys stole from the tomb kings and cursed this thread

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Guys how much damage would a Varghulf or Carnosaur do to a Swiss Pike Block

I need to know or else I won't be able to enjoy Warhammer anymore

EDIT: Boyz will be Boyz looks really cool, how long until we find out it was created by a zombified Heinrich Himmler

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Psycho Landlord posted:

Guys how much damage would a Varghulf or Carnosaur do to a Swiss Pike Block

I need to know or else I won't be able to enjoy Warhammer anymore

EDIT: Boyz will be Boyz looks really cool, how long until we find out it was created by a zombified Heinrich Himmler

Historically pike blocks were the best weapons to use against rogue dinosaurs in the aftermath of the Finnish-Korean Hyperwar, so they'd definitely work against a Carnosaur in this hypothetic scenario. Probably would do well against Varghulfs as well, but in this case the closest historical record is against the Giant Bats of colonial Australia and the Pike had fallen out of favour with the British Empire by then, so they were mostly shot to poo poo by the early redcoat. It didn't really kill them (due to regeneration), but it usually scared the beasts and they eventually went extinct as their grazing areas were settled.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Historically pike blocks were the best weapons to use against rogue dinosaurs in the aftermath of the Finnish-Korean Hyperwar, so they'd definitely work against a Carnosaur in this hypothetic scenario. Probably would do well against Varghulfs as well, but in this case the closest historical record is against the Giant Bats of colonial Australia and the Pike had fallen out of favour with the British Empire by then, so they were mostly shot to poo poo by the early redcoat. It didn't really kill them (due to regeneration), but it usually scared the beasts and they eventually went extinct as their grazing areas were settled.

Thank you, this has set my mind at ease. I am now back to being unreasonably stoked for Tomb Kings.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Angry Lobster posted:

The actual reason for the Empire not using pikes is because they are a Tilean and Estalian thing, it would be the same as admitting that these fuckers are better than the men of the Empire at warfare and we cannot have that.

Very Warhammer, I like it. Reminds me of how Nuln was first settled by Tileans long before Sigmar united the warring pre-Empire tribes. Which the Empire vehemently denies, because there is NO WAY their pinnacle of industry was founded by a gang of shifty, treacherous schemers from the south.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

ZearothK posted:

see now we have a definitive answer so can we shut the gently caress up about historical realism and get turbo-boners about mummies again?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

rockopete posted:

Very Warhammer, I like it. Reminds me of how Nuln was first settled by Tileans long before Sigmar united the warring pre-Empire tribes. Which the Empire vehemently denies, because there is NO WAY their pinnacle of industry was founded by a gang of shifty, treacherous schemers from the south.

It is a canonical academic arguing tactic for Tilean scholars to claim 'Of course, this idea has a long history of being originally Tilean' about literally anything. Privately they acknowledge they do it wholly to piss Imperials off.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition

ZearothK posted:

:hist101:

Excellent research into this sadly often forgotten part of history.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I got a question that always bugged me. Why are bright wizard's beards made of fire and lava but, like, a jade wizard has regular hair just like an amber wizard etc. Wouldn't they all have themed beards?

Also, what makes a bright wizard's beard turn into lava?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

jokes posted:

Continued exposure to their Wind of Magic does weird stuff to wizards. You get stuff like plants growing in a Jade wizard's wake, or people being unable to remember a Grey wizard's face, as they grow in power and keep using the stuff.

They actually have a bunch of cool rules for that in the TTRPG.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

jokes posted:

I got a question that always bugged me. Why are bright wizard's beards made of fire and lava but, like, a jade wizard has regular hair just like an amber wizard etc. Wouldn't they all have themed beards?

part of the reason why humans have all flavors of magic is that Teclis, in his infinite wisdom, dropped off the magical equivalent of some subcritical plutonium in Altdorf and told them "go nuts." normally you need training out the rear end to be capable of wielding the winds of magic at all reliably. the Eight Keys bypass that. a student of the Colleges of Magic can accomplish in a year what hedge mages cannot master in a lifetime.

the unspoken catch, which Teclis politely neglects to mention, is that over any reasonable length of time- a hundred years or so- the wizard goes HOPELESSLY insane, as more and more of what they fundamentally are is overwritten by the Wind of Magic for which they have the Key. fortunately almost no humans live that long, so hey! self-solving problem!

this is part of why Balthasar Gelt's battle speeches are all about HELL YES GET ME THE SWEET SHINY THING, THAT WILL RULE, the Wind of Metal is starting to creep up on his thinkin' meats.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Ze Pollack posted:

part of the reason why humans have all flavors of magic is that Teclis, in his infinite wisdom, dropped off the magical equivalent of some subcritical plutonium in Altdorf and told them "go nuts." normally you need training out the rear end to be capable of wielding the winds of magic at all reliably. the Eight Keys bypass that. a student of the Colleges of Magic can accomplish in a year what hedge mages cannot master in a lifetime.

the unspoken catch, which Teclis politely neglects to mention, is that over any reasonable length of time- a hundred years or so- the wizard goes HOPELESSLY insane, as more and more of what they fundamentally are is overwritten by the Wind of Magic for which they have the Key. fortunately almost no humans live that long, so hey! self-solving problem!

this is part of why Balthasar Gelt's battle speeches are all about HELL YES GET ME THE SWEET SHINY THING, THAT WILL RULE, the Wind of Metal is starting to creep up on his thinkin' meats.

Interestingly enough Dark Magic (Dhar) is not one of the eight keys but is similarly corrosive to mortal thoughts, this is why Necromancers (Necromancy is a modified form of Dhar) are almost universally insane. Only by becoming an actual undead (either vampire or liche) can the Necromancer avoid becoming hopelessly insane since the undead themselves are immune to the more damaging effects of using Dhar.

Someone earlier in the thread also asked why other factions besides the Dark Elves don't get access to Dark Magic and the reason is that they do its just called Necromancy since the first thing Humans try to do with Dark Magic is acheive immortality thanks to their(our?) desire to escape death. Meanwhile Elves are literally incapable of grasping the purpose of Necromancy since they don't experience mortality the same way humans do.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Ze Pollack posted:

What is this from? I never knew this!

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Rookersh posted:

What is this from? I never knew this!

I can't remember where it's from, but it's one of those things that's less sinister than it sounds, I think.

Teclis' official word on training humans, according to the RPG book was 'We can show them enough to be very helpful, but also to make sure they don't blow up the world.' He actually really likes the human colleges and mages.

E: Also, similarly, the reason humans don't get High Magic is less 'the evil Teclis is hiding true power from them' and more 'it takes like 80 years, minimum, for most students of either race to be able to use it at all', which is kind of prohibitive to humans.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Dec 21, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah, Teclis is basically the pre-eminent good guy Elf who actually really like Humans and desires to travel around and make sure everyone can defend themselves from Chaos.

He just figured out a way to give humans a magical crash course so they could get beyond cantrips 101 before they croaked :v:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't understand the goobers whining about real world military history comparisons itt when TW:Warhammer is part of a game series that was until recently dedicated to depicting real world military history battles (with added ninjas).

"Why don't we have pikes in TWW and if we did what would they be good for?" is an entirely valid question.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

sassassin posted:

I don't understand the goobers whining about real world military history comparisons itt when TW:Warhammer is part of a game series that was until recently dedicated to depicting real world military history battles (with added ninjas).

"Why don't we have pikes in TWW and if we did what would they be good for?" is an entirely valid question.

Someone please edit that cartoon about not wanting Parthia and change it to pikes. TIA.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
So I've been thinking about the VC units Arkhan will get and the only things that make sense for him to have that aren't already in the Tomb Kings roster are zombies an the wraith units (cairn wraith, hexwraiths, and mortis engine). Everything else is either out of place (blood knights), already has it's role filled by existing Tomb Kings units (varghulf, black coach), or already has an existing equivalent (all the skeleton infantry).

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Someone please edit that cartoon about not wanting Parthia and change it to pikes. TIA.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i still think the best version of that was the xcom one with the chance to hit, cause dad jumps out the window in exactly the same way the squaddies do

aww yeah playin it safe

Soup du Journey fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Dec 21, 2017

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

good god the staff he's holding looks like they took some preexisting art and photoshopped it to be skewed without correcting for it being a flat image

it's hideous

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

How do chaos invasions really work in the new patch?

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

President Ark posted:

good god the staff he's holding looks like they took some preexisting art and photoshopped it to be skewed without correcting for it being a flat image

it's hideous

If that bothers you don't look at his thumbs.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Honestly I think the problem is that anti large isn't granular enough. I mean something that is good at dealing with a goblin riding a wolf isn't necessarily going to be equally potent against a giant.

I had a concept that suited the fantasy setting better, which was three tiers of anti large:

The first would be anti cav which is like anti large now but ONLY affects horse sized cavalry or smaller. So knights, wolf riders, some velociraptors, etc fall into this category, the closest to the historical use of anti large which was striking distance but also unhorsing the attacker as well.

Trolls and other squad large bipeds fight differently than cavalry. They're probably more agile, able to juke and grab at pole arms. So a unit good at taking them down isn't necessarily going to be a bunch of guys with pointy sticks but rather dudes that know how to bring down bigger monsters.

Then you have the really colossal adversaries, mammoths, giants, dragons, huge fuckoff Egyptian mechs, etc. These typically would need something similarly massive to go against them effectively because they could literally just trample through enemies.

Splitting it up into three categories lets rosters retain some significance for units that would otherwise be obsolete. It also helps establish more individuality to various armies' units; some would be specialized toward one type over the other.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Baron Porkface posted:

How do chaos invasions really work in the new patch?

They start out at war with everyone, and then promptly ignore everyone (and are ignored in turn) to beeline directly to you to gently caress you up. Because reasons. Also they pretty much don't stop coming. You can wipe them out dozens of times, and if the end times event is still happening they will still keep ignoring the rest of the world to attack you.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ze Pollack posted:

It only really becomes an issue in about the second century of usage, so for normal human mages this is not an issue at all.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Panfilo posted:

Honestly I think the problem is that anti large isn't granular enough. I mean something that is good at dealing with a goblin riding a wolf isn't necessarily going to be equally potent against a giant.

I had a concept that suited the fantasy setting better, which was three tiers of anti large:

The first would be anti cav which is like anti large now but ONLY affects horse sized cavalry or smaller. So knights, wolf riders, some velociraptors, etc fall into this category, the closest to the historical use of anti large which was striking distance but also unhorsing the attacker as well.

Trolls and other squad large bipeds fight differently than cavalry. They're probably more agile, able to juke and grab at pole arms. So a unit good at taking them down isn't necessarily going to be a bunch of guys with pointy sticks but rather dudes that know how to bring down bigger monsters.

Then you have the really colossal adversaries, mammoths, giants, dragons, huge fuckoff Egyptian mechs, etc. These typically would need something similarly massive to go against them effectively because they could literally just trample through enemies.

Splitting it up into three categories lets rosters retain some significance for units that would otherwise be obsolete. It also helps establish more individuality to various armies' units; some would be specialized toward one type over the other.

Sounds like a balance and composition nightmare

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Gonkish posted:

They start out at war with everyone, and then promptly ignore everyone (and are ignored in turn) to beeline directly to you to gently caress you up. Because reasons. Also they pretty much don't stop coming. You can wipe them out dozens of times, and if the end times event is still happening they will still keep ignoring the rest of the world to attack you.

Yeah if you own an extensive empire they will find the undefended settlements and raze them on their action turn. When chaos invasion really triggers, have multiple armies defending across your empire. And hope the chaos hero armies get to you quickly.

I abandoned a delf ME campaigns because of chaos sub factions constantly respawning around my vertically expansive empire while sigvald screwed around in the northern wastes. Thankfully autoresolve is unfriendly to chaos/friendly to delves

loving hellcannons are so unfun

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

If that bothers you don't look at his thumbs.

Oh my loving god

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder if Settra will get massive diplomacy penalties. Seems in character.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Dartonus posted:

Gortrek and Felix: The Serpent Queen.

Of loving course it was. The Gotrek and Felix series was awesome, and it's a shame that it got canceled and forced into a "rocks fall, everyone dies" style finale to act as fluff and hype for the end times event.

Hell, they were even developing interesting spin offs prior to that. It was basically branching out to become it's own "thing" within the franchise.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 21, 2017

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Aurubin posted:

I wonder if Settra will get massive diplomacy penalties. Seems in character.
At the very least, it's impossible for him to be confederated by other TK factions, which I thought was hilarious.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Ravenfood posted:

At the very least, it's impossible for him to be confederated by other TK factions, which I thought was hilarious.

Settra does not kneel. :argh:

At least, until modders get a hold of him.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Soup du Journey posted:

i still think the best version of that was the xcom one with the chance to hit, cause dad jumps out the window in exactly the same way the squaddies do

aww yeah playin it safe

The worst was in the Stellaris thread, where people used it to defend pointless micromanagement being necessary, the exact opposite of why Pontus meme exists :smith:

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

Pretty sure Pontus memes exist to make fun of total war nerds who were mad about Pontus, dude

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Ravenfood posted:

Instead if you go for the confederate option, YOU get confederated and you're now playing Settra's faction.

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

Beamed posted:

The worst was in the Stellaris thread, where people used it to defend pointless micromanagement being necessary, the exact opposite of why Pontus meme exists :smith:

:nallears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I had to psychologically abuse this thread for months to get the we're the rats title and I'll be damned if it's changing