Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

That seems like a good thing.

That seems like a silly thing.

The full list of categories of groups capable of tax-receipting is:
- Registered Charities
- Registered Canadian Amateur Athletics Associations (which have caused the most problems)
- Listed housing corporations providing housing to the aged
- Listed Canadian municipalities
- Listed First Nation bands
- Registered foreign universities that have had at least 2 Canadians studying over the last 10 years
- Orgs outside of Canada HM has made a donation to in the name of Canada
- Canada itself
- United Nations and it’s agencies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MagicCube posted:

- Registered Canadian Amateur Athletics Associations (which have caused the most problems)

Does this mean garbage rich hockey parents can get a charitable deduction for funding their lovely child's awful hockey league?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

patonthebach posted:

It isn't. United Way is far from perfect but its not a scam and some 90% of donations go towards the programs they support, not 50%. There are much worse charities out there that are more popular. And yes, the CEO pay is very high, but thats pretty common for an organization of that size , public or private, charity or commercial enterprise. You dont get a lot of 1 mill earning executives that are willing to do the job for 50k a year, unfortunately. And you cant just have a volunteer who doesnt have the skills running a giant organization like that.

The lower mainland United Way in Vancouver is actually one of the best groups you can donate to around here, they rank very highly. Of course, dumb fucks still donate to the sally ann though.

Oh wait instead I should be writing a cheque to the federal government instead of donating to charity (???)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You just shouldn’t donate because the government should be handing that.

- a guy who also doesn’t tip, on philisophical grounds

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

PT6A posted:

Does this mean garbage rich hockey parents can get a charitable deduction for funding their lovely child's awful hockey league?

Yeah and a lot of it got really shady and the CRA revokes their status and/or intensely audits a bunch of them every year.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
ahahahahahaha

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-bitcoin-1.4457486

I'm not even going to post the whole article but jesus defund the cbc and close the country

quote:

Following several interviews with commercial real estate companies, economic development organizations, cryptocurrency industry players and Manitoba Hydro, CBC News has learned that several dozen out-of-province and international investors view Manitoba as a top-tier location to establish their cryptocurrency operations.

just another
Oct 16, 2009

these dead towns that make the maps wrong now

cougar cub posted:

Unfortunately you would most likely need to gain access to the partnership / land use agreements between the band and company in order to get any solid information. That usually isn’t public knowledge.
I have not heard of straight up cash payments unless it’s a rumoured bribe to council / important decision maker.
Back in November, all registered band members of Lax Kw’alaams received a $2,000 disbursement "made possible through benefits achieved by Council from the proposed PNW LNG project and the Province of BC." I don't know what that actually means but there you go.

$75,000/year cash to band member sounds bonkers, though. Maybe that's the total value of the economic partnership per person but I'd wager that money is going to the nation as a whole and is being used for things like infrastructure and social services, not just cash payments. But like James Baud said it just seems way too high an amount.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Don't support defunding the CBC you idiot

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Sorry I live in Manitoba, Blockchain capital of the world, I no longer need the CBC

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-ethics-aga-khan-1.4458220

quote:

Trudeau violated provisions of ethics law by visiting Aga Khan last Christmas

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau violated some provisions of the Conflict of Interest Act when he vacationed on a private island owned by the Aga Khan last Christmas, the federal ethics watchdog has ruled.

After months of investigation, outgoing ethics commissioner Mary Dawson released her decision on Wednesday.

"When Mr. Trudeau, as prime minister, accepted the gifts of hospitality from the Aga Khan and the use of his private island in March and December 2016, there were ongoing official dealings with the Aga Khan, and the Aga Khan Foundation Canada was registered to lobby his office," she said.

"Therefore, the vacations accepted by Mr. Trudeau or his family could reasonably be seen to have been given to influence Mr. Trudeau in his capacity as prime minister."

Discuss!

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The CPC probably just found their sponsorship scandal 2.0 they've been desperately looking for.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

I mean, I like Trudeau so I'd be fine if he only got a $75ethics fine. He definitely doesn't deserve the full $200 fine. Maybe $130 tops but that's as high as I can go.

Jordan7hm posted:

You just shouldn’t donate because the government should be handing that.

- a guy who also doesn’t tip, on philisophical grounds

Total canadian charity donations are about $10b. The government is the biggest charity in Canada. We spend like $200b a year on charity stuff like old age, EI, tech investments, education, housing, aboriginal stuff and Bombardier. I saw $88b somewhere as total spent on social services. United way bullcrap is a tiny flash in the pan next to what the federal government could be doing. I'd like people to think of the federal government as a charity so that when they waste money you'd be just as annoyed as if united way had built a $6m skating rink on parliament hill with money that they could have spent helping people.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
im glad this is being released the week before christmas which is probably just a total coincidence

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

RBC posted:

im glad this is being released the week before christmas which is probably just a total coincidence

Not everything is a conspiracy dude. It's how long it took the Ethics Commissioner to release her report.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

like i said, probably just a coincidence

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

It probably isn't a coincidence, in that the Ethics Commissioner was probably looking to get the report wrapped up before the holiday break.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I mean, I like Trudeau so I'd be fine if he only got a $75ethics fine. He definitely doesn't deserve the full $200 fine. Maybe $130 tops but that's as high as I can go.

Yeah he's not even getting that. No penalties whatsoever lmfao.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost
I caught the EC site during some sort of update or something today and I am extremely triggered.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

On Thursday we don't know what the gently caress is happening.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

McGavin posted:

On Thursday we don't know what the gently caress is happening.

"And on Thursday we predict a... well, it's going to be...

Look, have you ever seen a nature show where they do a time lapse of all the seasons?"

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

CBC is great and gently caress you for crying like a baby or even making bag dumb joke over some fluff piece bitcoin trash.

Eat poo poo. Hurrr this one article.

“I’d rather have the loving Sun! I’d rather listen to CJOB.” That’s you.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the info guys. The confusing $75k figure probably comes from:

ocrumsprug posted:

Nonsense being spread w.r.t. Natives...

In Canada...

Surely you jest?

,so it's probably a bullshit lie based on racism, but this person also has a tendency to shut down and quietly fume when presented with even basic facts, so I was hoping for something to throw out there when they brought it up.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

CBC is great and gently caress you for crying like a baby or even making bag dumb joke over some fluff piece bitcoin trash.

Eat poo poo. Hurrr this one article.

“I’d rather have the loving Sun! I’d rather listen to CJOB.” That’s you.

Trudeau saw my joke and decided to defund the CBC, it's all on me I guess

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Your move, libs

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

hes doing the robot

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DariusLikewise posted:

Trudeau saw my joke and decided to defund the CBC, it's all on me I guess

It’s a dumb rear end joke Seinfeld

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
I can't believe no one commented on PMJT's inability to cry during his apology or his failure to answer Rosemary Barton's simple line of questioning.

CBC News article is perfect in every way

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

THC posted:

Your move, libs

Well first we're gonna have to go ahead and define "people"

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

THC posted:

Your move, libs

code:
Conservative principles:
 - More money for us
 - gently caress you

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

It's a good thing there's no examples of astronomically bad conservative policy being passed literally today in a nearby superpower. It'd be really bad if everybody saw what happens when late-stage capitalism decides it's time to shut off the lights.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

THC posted:

Your move, libs

I find it unlikely that anyone could ever have a more punchable face than Ted Cruz, but holy gently caress is this wankstain ever giving it a good try.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Andrew Scheer has no principles so far other than calling for Trudeau and Morneau to resign. He literally has not made 1 platform promise so far. The Tories are just sitting back and waiting for the Libs to dick up again so they can take power.

A 384-page task force report came out today that the Manitoba PCs commissioned when they first took office. In the report they say that closing any of the ERs in Winnipeg would be dumb as poo poo because the remaining hospitals have no extra capacity so :lol:

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Bleu posted:

It's a good thing there's no examples of astronomically bad conservative policy being passed literally today in a nearby superpower. It'd be really bad if everybody saw what happens when late-stage capitalism decides it's time to shut off the lights.

Actually, according to this, Tax Cuts are always better for people than Big Government Liberalism!

https://mobile.twitter.com/USATODAY/status/943596620708446210

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

THC posted:

Actually, according to this, Tax Cuts are always better for people than Big Government Liberalism!

https://mobile.twitter.com/USATODAY/status/943596620708446210

Something seems...a little...large here :thunk:

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bleu posted:

Something seems...a little...large here :thunk:

so much in taxes...

god how can he feed his kids?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Unlike that absurd WSJ piece (won't somebody think of the poor seniors making hundreds of thousands of dollars from investments!), the main article from that story is actually pretty reasonable, and talks about how taxes are going down for just about everybody, from simple single earners to families, and how that effects which deduction option you should take, etc.

That graphic in particular appears to be a case of them trying to see how much they have to stretch reality before you find somebody who actually pays significantly more.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Time to defund the CBC

https://mobile.twitter.com/CANADALAND/status/941389532628422656

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

o poo poo, I thought that graphic was suggesting the million dollar renter would end up paying less taxes

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

infernal machines posted:

Well first we're gonna have to go ahead and define "people"

"Old Stock Canadians"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Aug 26, 2018