Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Update: this thing is definitely a miner’s dream.

Another underrated feature, you can park this thing next to a sun and it’ll stay at 60% heat. Which means if you’re patient you can stick a C4 scoop on it and just wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

It’s really big. I am having trouble docking it more so than I ever did with an anaconda.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish they would let you get bigger ships. And build your own production facilities/stations. And maybe have traders under your employ to do automated trade runs.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Made it out to Cygnus X-1. HDE 226868 is there, but the black hole isn't there :smith:

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Phi230 posted:

I wish they would let you get bigger ships. And build your own production facilities/stations. And maybe have traders under your employ to do automated trade runs.

You're in the wrong game, or is this :thejoke:

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Phi230 posted:

I too wish X3 didn't suck donkey balls for UI, graphics and gameplay.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

So the general gist is that the type-10 is good for thargoid shooting, but has to Hull tank and is quite slow. It is not so good at all for regular combat due to the small power distributor, and maybe can eek out 30ly jumps for travels.

It is a huge rad ship that looks nearly identical to the drop ship in Aliens, but it doesn’t seem otherwise that useful.

I only have about 200mil and can’t decide between an anaconda or a type 10 for general muckery. I have the modules for either really.

Edit: god man, i just rediscovered this guy and this is from four months ago but Isinona’s videos are like movies and he flies like no other, it is rad. https://youtu.be/moITRrezrUI

I’ll never forget his dbx fight in the asteroid belt.

Blind Rasputin fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 21, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

limaCAT posted:

I too wish X3 didn't suck donkey balls for UI, graphics and gameplay.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392160/X4_Foundations/

Got a game for you!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd probably be playing the poo poo out of X series if I could play with my friends :sigh:

Nahrix
Mar 17, 2004

Can't afford to eat out
Quick question. I heard that white dwarf and neutron stars would boost your jump range to 4x, but after getting my FSD boosted in a white dwarf, in a Viper mk4, I raised my jump range from ~30 to ~40ly. Is it the ship, the FSD, the fuel tank size, or the method I used (method was to lightly graze the jet's edge at low speed)?

Edit: On another note, to readjust my next jump, I went back into the galaxy map and re-entered the destination as a path, but I wasn't allowed. I can't remember the message, but it was something along the lines of my ship can't support that path.

Nahrix fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Dec 21, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Dwarves boost much less than neutrons is the answer.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I don't really understand why some people become so angry about the engineering. Yes, it's a grind but it's not a mandatory one!

Just don't do it then? It's just a GAME, not your flipping job.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Nahrix posted:

Quick question. I heard that white dwarf and neutron stars would boost your jump range to 4x, but after getting my FSD boosted in a white dwarf, in a Viper mk4, I raised my jump range from ~30 to ~40ly. Is it the ship, the FSD, the fuel tank size, or the method I used (method was to lightly graze the jet's edge at low speed)?

Edit: On another note, to readjust my next jump, I went back into the galaxy map and re-entered the destination as a path, but I wasn't allowed. I can't remember the message, but it was something along the lines of my ship can't support that path.

As previously mentioned it depends on what you're boosting on. 50% increase for a white dwarf and 300% for a neutron star.

In my ASP with an engineered FSD, this is my regular jump:

This is the ASP boosted by a Neutron Star:

Turmoil fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

John F Bennett posted:

I don't really understand why some people become so angry about the engineering. Yes, it's a grind but it's not a mandatory one!

Just don't do it then? It's just a GAME, not your flipping job.

dirty drives makes the game actually fun to play though

vvv: that too

Truga fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Dec 21, 2017

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Having a non-engineered FSD multiplies the tedium in getting from A to B.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

I have an L5 engineered FSD, though. Sure, it's handy when you have a destination inside colonised space. I just don't understand why you need one to explore the galaxy. You may be able to reach star C from star A, instead of going past star B first. But star B might have an Earthlike that you now have missed because of your upgraded drive.

Either way, it should be possible to just buy every kind of upgrade if you really want them. In most cases, RNG is not good design.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
RNG is poo poo, and from what I read the new system is better. It's still bad though.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

How useless / Bad am I going to feel if I start this game like now? Is there fun stuff to do early on or am I going to be like shitfarming until I catch up to cool people with big fancy ships?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I regret not going for Dirty Drive first of all. It seems to be a huge gamechanger.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Stormgale posted:

How useless / Bad am I going to feel if I start this game like now? Is there fun stuff to do early on or am I going to be like shitfarming until I catch up to cool people with big fancy ships?

this is kind of like asking if you should start playing witcher 3 now or are you going to be shitfarming until you catch up to cool people with big fancy swords.

not to compare elite to W3, but it's a game where interactions with other players are completely optional.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

The early game is real fun, because everything you do is new and fun. If you like just the act of flying a spaceship there's a 99% chance you'll like the game early on. The bad parts don't start showing until a couple 10s of hours in, IMO.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
A grade 5 FSD took like, 4 hours of grinding. I did have a lot of exploration data saved up to sell farseer when I got there so I imagine that helped. All of the materials were available at Dav's Hope (Google it) for free.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

iospace posted:

Yeah, it's showing up as a O class in the map, which would be correct. I'm definitely not going to be the first one out there (nor am I with all of the systems I'm coming across), but gently caress it, I want to see the first object we figured out was a black hole.

If you find any earthlikes or waterworlds discovered by a CMDR Kurr on your way to Cygnus don't drink the water. I peed in it :v:

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

The Yong mart at Gollobo has the T10 at a discount

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

iospace posted:

Made it out to Cygnus X-1. HDE 226868 is there, but the black hole isn't there :smith:

The black hole is actually Cygni X-1. I was there, it looks like this:

The system you're looking for is: V1357 Cygni

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Dec 21, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

The black hole is actually Cygni X-1. I was there, it looks like this:

Gods drat it. :argh:

Guess that means a change of trip plans then (current plan was the crab pulsar then Sgr A*, but I can detour)!

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Lima posted:

The Yong mart at Gollobo has the T10 at a discount

You really think I'm that Gullible?

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Sorry that y'all wrestle with so much space ship envy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I'm pretty pissed at fdev with this new cg this week. It's a big slap in my face when I spent a good month and a half grinding fed rank and God knows how much I spent in credits on donation missions.

They are giving a 20% discount on some of the ranked ships and making rank not required to buy for a week.

With all that money I could have fully upgraded a type 10.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
So what's the jump range ceiling of a stripped down, highly engineered Type-10? Once I get back to the bubble, I'll need a new gimmick vanity exploration project to work on.

Say >40 say >40 say >40

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zooted heh posted:

I'm pretty pissed at fdev with this new cg this week. It's a big slap in my face when I spent a good month and a half grinding fed rank and God knows how much I spent in credits on donation missions.

They are giving a 20% discount on some of the ranked ships and making rank not required to buy for a week.

What?

What do you mean?

E: Never mind, just saw it. Maybe I'll pick up a FAS just for the heck of it. What's the best Core Dynamics ship of those to buy, really? Is it the gunship? I feel like I don't need any of them.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 21, 2017

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

zooted heh posted:

Thank you for validating my life choices with your public display of regret.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Trustworthy posted:

So what's the jump range ceiling of a stripped down, highly engineered Type-10? Once I get back to the bubble, I'll need a new gimmick vanity exploration project to work on.

Say >40 say >40 say >40

You might be able to just hit 40 with some crazy rolls, but expect to get around 37.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Stormgale posted:

You’ll be fine. We’ve got people who have sunk months into the game and have billions of credits who still mostly fly stuff like the Vulture (reasonably cheap mid size heavy fighter) because it’s fun as heck.

Regardless of anything else you may see us complain about here, the one thing Elite does extremely well is the flight model and starting out is especially awesome in that regard since you progress through a ton of the smaller ships and get a feel for how they’re different from each other.

Also, join up with the Diamond Frogs. There’s nothing resembling player organisation in game (although it’s supposedly coming late 2018) so it’s all done through third party stuff like Discord and everyone loves more Discord servers. In your case specifically we have a fairly active Euro wing so there’s always people around to chat with.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Mercurius posted:

You’ll be fine. We’ve got people who have sunk months into the game and have billions of credits who still mostly fly stuff like the Vulture (reasonably cheap mid size heavy fighter) because it’s fun as heck.

Regardless of anything else you may see us complain about here, the one thing Elite does extremely well is the flight model and starting out is especially awesome in that regard since you progress through a ton of the smaller ships and get a feel for how they’re different from each other.

Also, join up with the Diamond Frogs. There’s nothing resembling player organisation in game (although it’s supposedly coming late 2018) so it’s all done through third party stuff like Discord and everyone loves more Discord servers. In your case specifically we have a fairly active Euro wing so there’s always people around to chat with.

This is some great advice right here, I will second all of it. Starting out in this game is great, it only starts to suck once you've gotten a lot of hours of fun out of it, and even then you can just join the Diamond Frogs and the game will suck less.

I think I probably went wrong with getting the Anaconda which with engineering now can do just about everything I care to do with it without me having to change ships. I should just buy a Vulture and have fun again, because that's seriously a BAD rear end ship.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

zooted heh posted:

Just buy one at a discount and sell the one you have now.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Well despite the fact I don't play anymore, I'm still going to buy a Fed Gunship on discount. Not sure I want to spent the time to engineer it, just nice to have it. Really I'm hoping the Chieftan is fun and good. New ships to fly always pull me into the game (until I'm bored with them 2 hours later)

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
its not the discount it's more of the billions of credits I did for donation missions to get it.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Yeah if I had to pick a ship to tell everyone to get it would be a Vulture and then put two large multicannons on it.

The Asp is a decent all-arounder for when you want to decide to break into engineering since it can do (if I recall) all of the dumb requirements to talk to them. It’s not great at combat or anything, but it moves you around fast.

DbX or Asp are your early/mid explorer ships, but the scanners are a barrier to entry on very, very early exploration. You can always do a quick trip to a nearby nebula or the Road to Riches and earn the money for them before your maximum space madness run.

Don’t bulk trade from station to station, like ever. It’s bad and I’m pretty sure isn’t even that good of money these days.

Also a tip to newcomers from the steam sale is probably wait on Engineering? It seems like the system might change to be less bullshit in Q1. I say that with a question mark because it’s Frontier and god knows they could also make it worse too.

A personal request to all players, old and new alike, is to somehow get Frontier’s attention to both 1. Add a multi crew seat to the keelback and 2. Give it a minor buff so it’s not such a defenseless pig. I really want to drag my friends into smuggling and millennium falcon situations. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Adder is the first ship I installed an ADS into. Nobody needs more than that for early exploration.

Advice to newbies: Fly around aimlessly (just make enough to keep flying) and figure as much as you can about the game from inside the game itself. Don't spoil it by asking for hints too early. Collect materials (scan signals when flying around) even if you don't know what it does and by the time you do you should have enough.

• Locked thread