Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Shugojin posted:

Gibson already makes those the sub brand is maestro or something

I want the brand devalued so much that it makes the blueslawyer types upset that they spent 7k on a garbage guitar.

Gibson is basically everything that sucks about guitar culture condensed into one brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

For all the silly music poo poo the other companies do Gibson is the one who does the most utterly stupid music poo poo. Like BC Rich makes a bunch of silly, gaudy, 80s as hell guitars but at least you don't need to make partner at the firm before you can buy one.

Also I assume if an artist who has a signature deal with them says "don't chamber my signature model" they will, you know, not chamber the drat guitar.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Shugojin posted:

Also I assume if an artist who has a signature deal with them says "don't chamber my signature model" they will, you know, not chamber the drat guitar.

Wait, what? I assume this is from an actual case.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

hexwren posted:

Wait, what? I assume this is from an actual case.

Bill Kelliher from Mastodon.

"Bill Kelliher posted:

It was a lot of reasons.

“I never really felt like I was accepted at Gibson. The communication over there is terrible.

“They kept loving up my guitars that I was asking for. I didn’t ask for a lot – I just had a few certain things that I would like with my guitar – I told them I didn’t want it chambered and they made my second guitar chambered.

“All the guys I worked with over there – the A&R guys were getting fired left and right and the company just seemed to be falling apart to me. There were new guys who would come in and they didn’t know poo poo.

“It was a breath of fresh air working with ESP. They were interested and would ask me what gauge strings I played and what tunings I play – Gibson never cared about any of that stuff.

“Kids would get my guitar in the mail and ask me how to tune it because it wasn’t tuned and then I would tell them how to tune it and they would say it still doesn’t sound right and it’s because they’re not putting my gauge strings on there.

“They weren’t even tuning the guitars to my settings or specifications – just little things like that. Things that make the guitar a Bill Kelliher model, like put it in my tuning so that when it shows up, it’s different.

“ESP wanted to know all that stuff. They’re just friendly and nice and they’re interested in me and my band and what they can do for me rather than this company.

“Gibson just wasn’t… I don’t know, I think they’re on their way downhill honestly.

“Every guy I talk to – I mean, look at James Hetfield. He was at Gibson, played Gibson stuff and they didn’t want to work with him, so he went to ESP. And he’s one of the biggest loving guitar players in our kind of music.

“It seems like there are a lot of bad decisions being made over there.

“But ESP is really great. They treat me really well. I love my Sparrowhawk that I designed. It’s the best playing guitar that I own.”

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That’s super hilarious to me because from everything I’ve heard Kelliher is like the nicest most easy going guy around. It’s baffling how they could gently caress up so hard.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

yikes

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
The Bill Kelliher ESPs really are basically just Gibsons with ESP logos on them (they even made the BK-600 thicker than the typical Eclipse so it would have the traditional Les Paul body thickness.) It would've been no trouble at all for Gibson to give him exactly what he wanted but apparently they just couldn't be bothered.

I looked hard at the BK-600 before buying my EC-1000 but I decided I didn't want the extra weight.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Stupid Music poo poo: Your guitar that needed routing done to fit a pickup just had that done, still needs to be wired. Original invoice date January 2016.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Weird BIAS posted:

Stupid Music poo poo: Your guitar that needed routing done to fit a pickup just had that done, still needs to be wired. Original invoice date January 2016.

So I'm confused. Did somebody else hold your guitar hostage for the last two years just not doing anything with it? Also how much are you going to charge them in leasing fees?

Or did I misunderstand and you have been sitting on a pickup-less guitar for two years?

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
What kind of amp casters do I gotta buy for maximum tone?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
None, the bottom should be entirely made of surgical grade stainless steel polished to micron consistency for maximum contact with the ground, improving earth shaking and therefore overall tone.

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 19, 2017

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

None, the bottom should be entirely made of surgical grade stainless steel polished to micron consistency for maximum contact with the ground, improving earth shaking and therefore overall tone.

No copper. Still polished. Make sure your chassis ground is the one true ground to eliminate distortions caused by the incoming power.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just saw this on the shopgoodwill auction site
https://www.shopgoodwill.com/Item/46709442
Eeeesh

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.

Spanish Manlove posted:

It was a trick question. I just wanted to see who the real tonesmiths are in this thread. You are correct that no self respecting tonesmith would ever use casters, but you forgot to add in the part where the bottom of the amp must be put on a series of “tone springs” and then bolted down to the floor with special “tone bolts” to get a natural speaker response and maximum tonez. Praise Bonamassa.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

No copper. Still polished. Make sure your chassis ground is the one true ground to eliminate distortions caused by the incoming power.

the One True Ground

Forged in the fires of Mount Blues by the dark lord Clapton

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

GreatGreen posted:

So I'm confused. Did somebody else hold your guitar hostage for the last two years just not doing anything with it? Also how much are you going to charge them in leasing fees?

Or did I misunderstand and you have been sitting on a pickup-less guitar for two years?

My guitar tech has been holding onto my guitar that doesn't have any pickups installed in it for two years doing the work slowly. He did previous work for me on the cheap but reasonable time because we worked together.

Literally all he needed to do was rout the body a little deeper and install the pickups (it's one of those little thunder pickups so it was too deep to fit in the neck slot). And if I wasn't trying to keep on good terms with him and the store he works with I'd have just taken the guitar back.

Part of the stupid in this music poo poo is me putting up with it and not just stealing the loving thing back.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
If he's taking 2 years to do a half hour job it doesn't really sound like he's someone you need to keep on good terms with anymore.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Yeah for real gently caress that

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Jonny Nox posted:

lol just lol if you don't carry a six foot aluminum stake hardwired into your amp's ground and hammer it into the earth wherever you play

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Schpyder posted:

lol just lol if you don't carry a six foot aluminum stake hardwired into your amp's ground and hammer it into the earth wherever you play

Jokes aside, Neil Young mounts his spring reverb on a stand drilled through the stage and bolted to the concrete floor of the arena, which is pretty committed.

I used to play with a crazy-rear end drummer who used to like getting a rise out of sound men and venue owners by carrying a battered block of 2x4 around with his rig. He'd set the kit up, then spend ages conspicuously positioning the block in front of the kick and making tiny adjustments; once he was sure everyone was watching he would pull out a hammer and a bag of nails and start whaling away pretending to nail it into the stage. He was many things (including an utterly terrible drummer who routinely forgot entire songs we had been playing for months) but dull was not in his repertoire.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

I used to play with a crazy-rear end drummer who used to like getting a rise out of sound men and venue owners by carrying a battered block of 2x4 around with his rig. He'd set the kit up, then spend ages conspicuously positioning the block in front of the kick and making tiny adjustments; once he was sure everyone was watching he would pull out a hammer and a bag of nails and start whaling away pretending to nail it into the stage. He was many things (including an utterly terrible drummer who routinely forgot entire songs we had been playing for months) but dull was not in his repertoire.

I'd like this guy to join my band

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
hmm triggering the sound guy before even soundchecking the kit, sounds smart and good

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Concatenation posted:

hmm triggering the sound guy before even soundchecking the kit, sounds smart and good

He was neither of those things, but honestly we probably sounded like hot garbage even when the sound guy was on our side. At the time we were practicing in a squat complex and sharing a room with a crustpunk band who believed firmly in the communal sharing of all equipment despite not owning any, so all our poo poo was constantly being wrecked - we'd regularly turn up and find out they'd used our gear at a show the night before and then left it at the venue because they couldn't afford a taxi back.

Fun times and I miss them (but not so much I want to go back). Somebody start a PYF band stories thread.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Sorry if this sounds too internet tough guy but how did you not kick the living poo poo out of those guys? Do you not have an ounce of self-respect?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Most people handle their differences with words.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

GreatGreen posted:

Sorry if this sounds too internet tough guy but how did you not kick the living poo poo out of those guys? Do you not have an ounce of self-respect?

Mostly because I'm selectively recounting parts of a bigger story for humorous effect, but we can pretend I did that too if it helps. :shrug:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

He was neither of those things, but honestly we probably sounded like hot garbage even when the sound guy was on our side. At the time we were practicing in a squat complex and sharing a room with a crustpunk band who believed firmly in the communal sharing of all equipment despite not owning any, so all our poo poo was constantly being wrecked - we'd regularly turn up and find out they'd used our gear at a show the night before and then left it at the venue because they couldn't afford a taxi back.

Fun times and I miss them (but not so much I want to go back). Somebody start a PYF band stories thread.

Bands that sound like garbage and use wrecked equipment are much cooler than bands that are technically precise or whatever

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The idea of sharing my equipment with crusters makes my skin crawl

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
totally

that's why the only thing i ever shared with them was needles

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The idea of sharing my equipment with crusters makes my skin crawl

Crust punks are cool and I bet the stench makes the guitars sound better.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

A human heart posted:

Bands that sound like garbage and use wrecked equipment are much cooler than bands that are technically precise or whatever

Only in our own hearts, sadly. We were too far out for normie poo poo like 'practice' or 'tuning', or even 'songs'. Now I play Girl From Ipanema to disinterested restaurants and try not to choke on my own bile; it's cool to a negative value but significantly more lucrative.

A human heart posted:

Crust punks are cool and I bet the stench makes the guitars sound better.

Normally but they were of the dreaded crustfolk persuasion, which meant electric ukeleles and mandolins and no drummer and awful poo poo like that. Can't recommend.

darkwasthenight fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Dec 20, 2017

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

darkwasthenight posted:

Normally but they were of the dreaded crustfolk persuasion, which meant electric ukeleles and mandolins and no drummer and awful poo poo like that. Can't recommend.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

awesmoe posted:

My father is an accordion player (as the old joke goes: "Is your father musical too?" "No, he plays the accordion.") and I was exposed to an excessive amount of traditional English music and folk customs growing up, so in fact I do not. I believe they class it as child abuse these days, but they were different times.

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

darkwasthenight posted:

My father is an accordion player (as the old joke goes: "Is your father musical too?" "No, he plays the accordion.") and I was exposed to an excessive amount of traditional English music and folk customs growing up, so in fact I do not. I believe they class it as child abuse these days, but they were different times.

It's great to see positive stories like yours in this thread. sometimes we just post stupid guitars and we forget about the huge, almost insurmountable challenges people have overcome to get where they are today.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

awesmoe posted:

This unironically

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

If a crust punk even thinks about touching my poo poo I get upset. :(

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Last time i leant my guitar to a crust band it came back with a more expensive strap and like a gram of weed in an empty cigarette box. Win/win imo, just lol if you care about your gear/life.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

If you guys are giving your poo poo to street punks and not d-beat crusters then thats probably the issue

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

darkwasthenight posted:

Only in our own hearts, sadly. We were too far out for normie poo poo like 'practice' or 'tuning', or even 'songs'. Now I play Girl From Ipanema to disinterested restaurants and try not to choke on my own bile; it's cool to a negative value but significantly more lucrative.

Folk punks are a totally different animal to your regular crusties, please consult your Field Guide to Punks of the World more carefully in future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like the two opinions above