Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I love that grenadiers traditionally had conical hats, instead of tricorns which were in vogue when most armies started fielding them. That's because slinging your musket over your head, so you can throw your grenade, in the heat of battle is a lot easier if you wear a cone on your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I gather the overall effectiveness of them is what led to the development of the Shako to replace the Tricorne by the Napoleonic era?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Phi230 posted:

Same with Dragoons. Dragoons evolved to just be heavy cavalry but stuck with the designation

That's more of a British thing to not have to pay them so much.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

zokie posted:

I love that grenadiers traditionally had conical hats, instead of tricorns which were in vogue when most armies started fielding them. That's because slinging your musket over your head, so you can throw your grenade, in the heat of battle is a lot easier if you wear a cone on your head.

I can tell you from personal experience that cocked hats (most armies actually wore bicorns) are a pain in the neck when moving your musket to the shoulder.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Who does 28mm Napoleonic Swedes? Looking for a small force for Forager

edit: Perrys will apparently be releasing a line soon: https://www.facebook.com/perryminiatures/posts/1323202574468512

Fish and Chimps fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 5, 2017

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Making some process on my French MDF wagon (with some green stuff additions)

I feel like the green stuff and the mud paint hides the square MDF look pretty decently.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

....aaaand it's done! Now I just need to paint up a driver as well.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
Hi guys. I plan on getting some Perry Samurai guys for Test of Honour (Peasants, Ikko Ikki, bandits, etc). Does anyone know if they do January sales?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I would just like the record to reflect: gently caress you guys - last night I had a dream about Napoleonics.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Thundercloud posted:

Hi guys. I plan on getting some Perry Samurai guys for Test of Honour (Peasants, Ikko Ikki, bandits, etc). Does anyone know if they do January sales?

I’ve followed Perry for ten years, and haven’t seen a single sale.

Ilor posted:

I would just like the record to reflect: gently caress you guys - last night I had a dream about Napoleonics.

Speaking of, a clubmate even recently dreamt that I was the mastermind behind a miniature smuggler ring, using match box sized army transport bags to get through customs.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 18, 2017

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Perry don't do sales, but their miniatures are pretty cheap as normal - particularly if you live outside of the UK and don't have to pay VAT :v:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Endman posted:

Perry don't do sales, but their miniatures are pretty cheap as normal - particularly if you live outside of the UK and don't have to pay VAT :v:

You can get the plastic kits on discount at other shops though, and many of them will have free international shipping if you spend some £40-50, so there's basically no incentive to buy the plastic boxes directly from Perry.

For example, https://www.firestormgames.co.uk/ has their boxes at a constant 10% off, and with free international shipping for £40+ orders. I think Thewarstore has pretty good discounts if you are in the US.

E:
Tonight I fished out a tank that had been in storage for a year or so, and got to work on giving it decals. It's a bit of a fantasy tank, a French Foreign Legion Sherman being used to support the Free French in North africa:

Now I just need to give it a coat of Micro Sol, some varnish, and then it's desert weathering time baby!

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 18, 2017

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
More news from HEAVY METAL PARKING LOT: THE GAME

I nicked an M577 and repurposed it for my westgermans

I've also started working on PSC's new Leopard 1 models. In a hilarious manufacturing fuckup, they managed to forget to include the driver's hatch on the plans sent to the factory, so they now have to retool the mould. Whoops!

At least their mistake means i'll get 5 additional Leopard 1, meaning i'll probably never have to buy more of them except for conversions into engineering vehicles.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

A friend has been busy building Hitlers fevered dreams for his alternate reality afrika korps. the ratte and monster are mostly cardboard and plasticard.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Needs more skulls.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
This inspires a Games Workshop designer.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
Those are to scale with the little ones aren't they.....

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This would be the best OGRE expansion...

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

moths posted:

This would be the best OGRE expansion...

Mention it to Steve Jackson at a con and he'll steal your idea. Speaking from experience here...

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
No, it's the allies who had nukes. The Ogre in this case would be some upscaled T-35-esque monstrosity straight out of a nazi's meth-withdrawal nightmares. Five turrets, one of which lobs teeny nukes and annihilates entire panzer units.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

DiHK posted:

Those are to scale with the little ones aren't they.....

Yeep, these are indeed 15mm 1: 100 and the world is a better place for it.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
How would you even provide rules for those things

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Play Ogre with them.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Phi230 posted:

How would you even provide rules for those things

Immobile gun emplacements.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Imagine the fuel use for those things.

Rule - Every time this unit moves, roll a d6, on anything but a 6 it runs out of fuel and is immobile for the rest of the game.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
On a one, part of the vehicle spontaneously combusts.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

On a 2-4 it sinks into the ground, destroying any roads or other terrain features beneath it.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Were they actually hoping to use those in Africa? How would they even get one there?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth
You move the factory there first, duh.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

moths posted:

Were they actually hoping to use those in Africa? How would they even get one there?

By driving it over the hydroelectric dam across the Strait of Gibraltar, duh!

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
You can't move it over water! It's bad enough that it attracts every allied pilot with a spare hand grenade, now you're just begging the torpedo bombers to have a shot.

If you must, though, the secret to floating it is a very large river barge, pulled by horses. Shh. It's superior wunderwaffe secret Nazi technologies, ja.

(I should go paint a tank, but eh)

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I love when history gets on the cusp of bad scifi moments before getting off the crazy train.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Mainly because the crazy train shot himself....

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

6mm is God's own scale

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Yeah, I was on some TY FB site today and those 15mm parking lots are just off the hook.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Polikarpov posted:

6mm is God's own scale

Helllll

Yeahhhhhhh

Das_Ubermike
Sep 2, 2011

www.oldmanmurray.com
Does anyone know where I can get individual guns and support weapons in 15mm scale for Chain of Command? I've got Soviet, British, German and American infantry platoons and a handful of tanks, but i'm having a hard time sourcing single sets of mortars and AT guns. I don't really want to spend $12 to buy a pack of AT guns or a mortar platoon from Battlefront and wind up with a bunch of leftovers I won't use.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Peter Pig might do what you're looking for well enough.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Peter Pig's website is just the most beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Peter Pig's website is just the most beautiful thing.

Shopping here is when you know you have finally embraced the historical madness!