Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The spawn system in this game is so loving bizarre. Every one in a while it just decides that I'm going to get the same 2 spawns on the same side of the map no matter what, and spawning near the RL or LG basically means you just die over and over to the people fighting over those guns 2 seconds out of spawn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sdoots posted:

The flags in CTF powered a respawn machine. You shut down the other teams machine by capturing enough flags. It was something like that, anyways.

Oh I was thinking it was more elaborated considering that the gang nature of the game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I recall the single player story having a ton of stupid "You can only respawn so many times using technology so oh no now this character's gonna plot-die for realsies!" stuff that was just kind of bad.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Unreal Tournament 3 was such garbage in so many levels. It even shipped with a completely broken friends system so you couldn’t even play with your buddies. Then CliffyB flipped his poo poo and said PC gaming was dead and blamed everything on that so welp.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Yodzilla posted:

Unreal Tournament 3 was such garbage in so many levels. It even shipped with a completely broken friends system so you couldn’t even play with your buddies. Then CliffyB flipped his poo poo and said PC gaming was dead and blamed everything on that so welp.

What a thing to look at with the benefit of hindsight, accurate only if you footnote it with “* dead if you overinvest massively to keep up graphically while having no vision in gameplay, story or overall execution”.

Honestly it’s really disappointing to play games over the last 10 years and see where they start to curve away from well crafted single player, or multiplayer stuffed with content and potential, towards more and more limited or badly paced products chasing open world playtimes, or micro transaction economies supported by broken base game pacing. All this time and money dressing up experiences actively hurting the qualities that make them compelling in the first place.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Actually, videogames are good.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The Kins posted:

lets not say things we can't take back

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
one neat trick to deal with bad videogames is to not spend any money on them.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

The Kins posted:

Didn't say that. There's plenty of great videogames, just that there are an awful lot of AAA bench mark games that are blazing lovely trails that don't actually care about making good games anymore, and then blame the platform for their failures (or mere drops in sales performance) rather than their lack of vision or care about their games.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Best thing about Unreal 3 is that is not even a benchmark game. Is just bad overall and still beaten by UT99 and 2k4 in everything.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I remember looking for matches not long (within 6 months) after it was released and the server browser was basically dead, apart from a few servers filled with bots. Bit sad, but not surprising. It was a very weird game and died almost immediately.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Been playing couple matches. Very very rare hiccups during matches with the rollback, but overall Im running everything on Ultra and everything looks great.

Is Ranger slower than average or something? I can't change my direction from a strafe jump and maintain my speed. Haven't tried Visor yet.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Only Sorlag and Anarki have that kind of air control. Ranger is decently fast, I think 320 +forward/640 air max? And visor is a little slower on the ground but air speed cap is like 2000.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I was getting crushed left and right and beginning as if I was on dial-up and maybe beginning to think I was only good in high school because of my youth and my inappropriately-prescribed Ritalin making me an eSports Adderall user before such a thing existed.

Turns out nope, it's because this fun game is a technical nightmare of bad programming! Following the instructions on some Reddit thread I found caused the game to perform exactly like I'd expect from a Quake game, and suddenly I'm decent and winning 2v1s in Team DM regularly.

I dig this game concept, but I wish this game had the underlying technical prowess of Doom.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Craptacular! posted:

I was getting crushed left and right and beginning as if I was on dial-up and maybe beginning to think I was only good in high school because of my youth and my inappropriately-prescribed Ritalin making me an eSports Adderall user before such a thing existed.

Turns out nope, it's because this fun game is a technical nightmare of bad programming! Following the instructions on some Reddit thread I found caused the game to perform exactly like I'd expect from a Quake game, and suddenly I'm decent and winning 2v1s in Team DM regularly.

I dig this game concept, but I wish this game had the underlying technical prowess of Doom.

its probably "max pre-rendered frames =1" that made the most difference.
also, i'd suggest setting the power options to "maximum performance" rather than "optimal power" as that's a power saving/throttling option.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
It takes a while finding matches. They've been pretty good so far though.

Edit: nevermind. Blue screened on an i9 GTX1080ti.

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Dec 27, 2017

no_funeral
Jul 4, 2004

why
just got bodied by winz in a dm, was fun

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
so how do you get lore now?

and when does the christmas stuff stop dropping?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jose Mengelez posted:

so how do you get lore now?

and when does the christmas stuff stop dropping?

randomly at the end of a match

literally the only way they could have made it worse lol

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
If I played Id games since the day Quake II came out just how long will I last before I request a refund on this? What could get worse than what I've read so far, does it have it's own account system so you buy it on Steam and still have to log in with a big Bethesda launcher or what am I not considering?

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

Buy on Steam, you don't have to mess about with the Bethesda launcher.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Buy on Steam, you don't have to mess about with the Bethesda launcher.

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Bethesda.net (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Have I been pranked? It's crazy to imagine there isn't any huge viable Quake game alive. Tried to get back into Quake Live, must be 20 people on my coast playing on an average night.

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

extra stout posted:

Requires 3rd-Party Account: Bethesda.net (Supports Linking to Steam Account)

Have I been pranked? It's crazy to imagine there isn't any huge viable Quake game alive. Tried to get back into Quake Live, must be 20 people on my coast playing on an average night.

There's no separate launcher, it just asks you to make a Bethesda account on startup and then your steam account is linked to it. A few games have similar things.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

extra stout posted:

If I played Id games since the day Quake II came out just how long will I last before I request a refund on this? What could get worse than what I've read so far, does it have it's own account system so you buy it on Steam and still have to log in with a big Bethesda launcher or what am I not considering?

might as well wait till it's finished. or at least till the january update fixes the hitboxes.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I thought BJ was the slowest character in the game, but apparently it's actually Scalebearer.

Doomslayer is still really fun.

Pomp posted:

randomly at the end of a match

literally the only way they could have made it worse lol

That's like two steps forward with the patch, one step back with this and the drop system.

At least I get stuff every now and then from random drops for all the characters, but it's pretty meh. Obviously, it's a lovely F2P ingame economy.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Obviously, it's a lovely F2P ingame economy.

personally I'm holding off judgement until i see $5 backpack keys and a community market with $800 gauntlet reskins.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Jose Mengelez posted:

personally I'm holding off judgement until i see $5 backpack keys and a community market with $800 gauntlet reskins.

Eh, just because they’re not the worst examples in gaming today doesn’t exclude the system being poo poo on its own merits. Thoroughly gone are the days where a progression system is balanced based on feeling like progression, there’s now an inherent calculation against how much the player will put up vs their breaking point to paying cash for what they used to be rewarded as par for the course.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
It's Bathesda and it's gonna be lovely. So far, my drops have been pretty good, but I'm waiting for the next patch where all we get are common or uncommon drops and 10% chance of getting post-match lore drops.

Either way, ignoring all of this, the game is getting better. Anarki is still really strong, Clutch can fly into space now, doomslayer is still good and fun and Scalebearer is kind of lovely. Managed to do a Scalebearer charge through 5 people once and it was worth the it, but the buffed health and armour really doesn't help. He's good for sacrafice.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Maluco Marinero posted:

Eh, just because they’re not the worst examples in gaming today doesn’t exclude the system being poo poo on its own merits. Thoroughly gone are the days where a progression system is balanced based on feeling like progression, there’s now an inherent calculation against how much the player will put up vs their breaking point to paying cash for what they used to be rewarded as par for the course.

I'll be happy if they just go easy on the cosmetics, nobody wants another tf2 where everyone's some kind of neon pink and green meme clown.

Uncle Kitchener posted:

He's good for sacrafice.

he's the all star quarterback of sacrifice.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The things missing from this game right now are more maps and more modes. I try searching for Sacrifice and I can't find anyone in EU. It's mostly DM or TDM.

Edit: also is it just me or can Clutch see a hidden Nyx through his shield? She comes out as a white outline. That's pretty good if it's the case

Jose Mengelez posted:

I'll be happy if they just go easy on the cosmetics, nobody wants another tf2 where everyone's some kind of neon pink and green meme clown.

A little too late for that *comes out as WWII purple rain santa*

Uncle Kitchener fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Dec 28, 2017

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Edit: also is it just me or can Clutch see a hidden Nyx through his shield? She comes out as a white outline. That's pretty good if it's the case

Yep this was an intentional feature I guess.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Actually males him a pretty good pick for duels, esoecially as a counter-matchup against Nyx.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Game is in a much better state than it was when i previously played it, matchmaking wait times are under control and outside of a few minor technical issues where i momentarily lose sound the game is remarkably stable. At this point I think they just need to start adding more modes and maps to prepare it for full release.

And one of those modes better be CTF

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Since picking this game back up last week, I've been getting into DM and TDM matches after about 30 seconds of queueing with the filter set to queue for everything. Today I got into my first Sacrifice game and now I can't get anything else but that stupid mode. When I set DM TDM only on the filter I get 5 minute plus queue times compared to an hour ago when it would pop for DM or TDM in about 20 seconds every time. It's like no one wants to play DM or TDM all of a sudden.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Gunder posted:

Since picking this game back up last week, I've been getting into DM and TDM matches after about 30 seconds of queueing with the filter set to queue for everything. Today I got into my first Sacrifice game and now I can't get anything else but that stupid mode. When I set DM TDM only on the filter I get 5 minute plus queue times compared to an hour ago when it would pop for DM or TDM in about 20 seconds every time. It's like no one wants to play DM or TDM all of a sudden.

I think it may be the opposite reason; everyone is playing DM and TDM and the servers are keeping a lot of people in the queues.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong. Check and see which servers you're connected to. I'm in the UK and I'm connected to Frakfurt and Russia.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

I’m on Frankfurt, Ireland, east Russia and Warsaw. Also in the uk.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I got the champions pack with my Ryzen 5. Yesterday I bought a mouse with angles and colored lights along with a huge mousepad after getting all jazzed at the idea of having Quake in my life again. It plays great and they've really nailed that Quake feel while adding a lot of depth to the movement with dudes like vizor, sorlag, slash, and anarki. The abilities are fun, the weapons feel great, and the maps are super tight and visually gorgeous to boot. It's just a shame that everything in between launching the game and actually playing a match is so tremendously poo poo, and I haven't even looked at my 26 free loot crates yet.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Waiting for a match is the least fun part of each game and that alone is around an average of 2-3 minutes on good days. On bad days, it can go for more than five minutes. At least the matches last longer.

Gunder posted:

I’m on Frankfurt, Ireland, east Russia and Warsaw. Also in the uk.

Forgot about Ireland. I think I had better and quicked matches overall when I was just connected to Frankfurt and Ireland, so I might tick Russia off for now.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Does the matchmaker care at all about player skill levels? Quite a few of my games end up being one way stomps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
I don't think so. It just matches based on connections apparently, but maybe that's also the small playerbase.

Duel seems to be very much the focus.