Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
No Mantic game bans premeasuring.

In X-Wing it at least makes thematic sense since everything is in constant motion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

It's good in X-Wing because the movement is by templates anyway, so judging your end location is both doable and adds some skill to the game. Picking the right move to make sure you swing up next to an asteroid instead of landing right on top of it and blowing up your ship is a good example of how the game can feel pretty exciting because of that rule.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:
18 months, two supplements, an almanac and a bunch of FAQ's later, GW finally gets around to reverting to the LRB6 method of inducements.... on Facebook:

http://www.sann0638.co.uk/ruling-on-inducements/

...which will be included in the next FAQ. Not in the almanac they just released. Or in an interim FAQ. Or anywhere else.

:drat:

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Redvenom posted:

18 months, two supplements, an almanac and a bunch of FAQ's later, GW finally gets around to reverting to the LRB6 method of inducements.... on Facebook:

http://www.sann0638.co.uk/ruling-on-inducements/

...which will be included in the next FAQ. Not in the almanac they just released. Or in an interim FAQ. Or anywhere else.

:drat:

Hell yeah, at least they are fixing it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Atlas Hugged posted:

No Mantic game bans premeasuring.

In X-Wing it at least makes thematic sense since everything is in constant motion.

It makes sense in NM too - you're an untrained drug-addict running through a dark underhive, God knows what underfoot, while people are shooting at you.

I prefer pre-measuring, but it the exclusion makes sense in the NM game world.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

berzerkmonkey posted:

It makes sense in NM too - you're an untrained drug-addict running through a dark underhive, God knows what underfoot, while people are shooting at you.

I honestly like it for small scale skirmish games. They should be quick to play out but challenging to make decisions for, and I think pre-measuring is part of that. It also helps me put myself in the place of my little dudes, trying to make judgments on what to do, so for necromunda ‘can I make it to that guy with my lead pipe before he shoots me’ etc.

So Gang War does just say TLoS, making the whole thing moot. Overall I like the bulk of new ideas/tweaks/changes, although experience gain does seem slower than old Necromunda and I’m not sure Juves will really be worth it as they were in the old version, it will take a lot of games to even get their stats up to those of gangers, let alone the champions they are supposed to promote to. This is all based on a read through though, haven’t played yet.

Book’s editing and layout is utter crap though, already found a few omissions or mistakes and it weirdly repeats some Underhive stuff, leaves out other bits, and bits of info are all over the place. I will still buy Gang War 2, both because I want to and because I will back Necromunda to the hilt in order to try and get them to support it more heavily; however I really would be happier with a complete, better edited compendium rulebook (or just have updated digital versions like any other modern company!).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

berzerkmonkey posted:

I don't want for a rule to make sense in the world of the game, I want a rule that keeps the game enjoyable. If measuring makes it better then measure. If not measuring makes it better then don't measure.

It's like the failed charge rule. Rolled a 2? I guess your guys couldn't run 3 inches to get into combat because they were arguing among themselves, or the ground is not as flat as the table top so they tripped over rubble. It's all kind of dumb. I don't want good excuses, just good games.

I'm not railing at you BM, you're cool. I'm just sick of people rationalizing crappy rules.

Edit: I just realized that it's a hang up from when I played Woodelves many editions ago. You couldn't shoot your bows except from your front rank. As if bows shot in a line like a rifle and not a parabola like... A BOW! It drove me nuts. Thinking about it, even riflemen could shoot muskets in ranks in real life! Goddamn that drove me nuts.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I like premeasuring because making people guess distances is basically tacking on an additional stealth skill requirement that can be frustrating for new players. If you have been playing GW games for years guessing distances isn't a big deal, but if someone wants to try out a game then they may not have any experience with it and it can be really frustrating. It would be like you went to a buffet, but not only do you build your own meal, you have to correctly guess it's total volume before you get to eat it.

I am not a huge fan of randomizers in moves, but I understand why they are there and because they are clearly stated most people can grasp the implications fairly readily, more or less like rolling to hit or wound. The double whammy of random movement and no measuring is a dick though, because it means that people have to apply that randomization to an estimate they're making and a lot of the time it seems like a downer without any real benefit.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Indolent Bastard posted:

Edit: I just realized that it's a hang up from when I played Woodelves many editions ago. You couldn't shoot your bows except from your front rank. As if bows shot in a line like a rifle and not a parabola like... A BOW! It drove me nuts. Thinking about it, even riflemen could shoot muskets in ranks in real life! Goddamn that drove me nuts.
That got changed later. Every ranged weapon could fire in two ranks and bows got half of their shots for every rank beyond that.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Pre-measuring for lyfe. The argument of "but then everyone measures all the time and it slows the game down" is almost never a practical reality - except in Infinity, where everyone is on overwatch all the time and so pre-measuring really WOULD slow the game to a crawl, which is why its the only game really designed for and correctly not allowing pre-measure.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
No-measuring in Necromunda is for me a key part of the game. Pretty much what Genghis said really.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Is this a thread to discuss LOTR Battle Companies?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

ineptmule posted:

No-measuring in Necromunda is for me a key part of the game. Pretty much what Genghis said really.

:same:

muggins posted:

Is this a thread to discuss LOTR Battle Companies?

Considering that I don't think it has a thread (or the Hobbit game either, that I can see?) and it's a niche outside of 30k/40k/AOS, then sure. I can add it to the OP.

Do you play? I admit that it caught my eye, because it seemed rather like a Tolkien Mordheim, which would very much be my jam.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Kinda interested into giving it a go. There's a growing scene for it up here and I've always fancied some Uruks.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005

Shadin posted:

: Tolkien Mordheim

Omg, what?
Edit- wow this thread is just the best. Gotta run that by the group.

always be closing fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 22, 2017

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
I actually have zero knowledge of LOTR game, other than ppl say the rules are good, battle companies are small war bands, and the line was sculpted by the (Godlike) Perrys. I need to get the book first but it seems like the models are hard to get.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Is Battle Companies a stand-alone or do I need the other book?

The website is strangely vague on the issue.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

Is Battle Companies a stand-alone or do I need the other book?

The website is strangely vague on the issue.

Some quick reading on some random threads I found seems to indicate that you need the base rules, along with this line on the page:

Games Workshop posted:

An expansion for the Middle-earth™ Strategy Battle Game

However, someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I went back to see how I missed that and it's the first line of the description.

I do wonder if it's a stand alone expansion, I'm actually pretty excited for this.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I really miss the early 00s when I could stroll into a Barnes and Noble and buy a Fellowship of the Ring starter for half off.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Just play the game with any of the brilliant 3rd party fantasy minis available now. Red Box, Hasslefree, Frostgrave/Osprey, and I’m sure dozens of others will be selling appropriate minis that you can ‘fit’ to one of the lore factions in the game.

It would seem very strange for GW to release an expansion like this and not re-release a stand-alone rulebook for the core system, as denying people access to the rules is just going to kill this new product in its infancy. If the required rules are included then it wouldn’t be so necessary.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
There is a Hobbit stand alone rulebook and there are miniatures on sale for every faction in the rulebook.

One of the tenets of NuGW is death before giving an opportunity for third-party devs.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Apparently they're going to release a new LOTR rulebook "soon" so tbh I'm just gonna grab the battle companies thing to look at and not get a rulebook yet.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Apparently the core book and Fallen Kingdoms guide will set me back about $100USD. So I'm looking at a $160 investment in a game (which nobody plays locally) if this isn't self contained.

I think this is what discourages me every time I start to get interested in the LOTR battles game.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I love the lotr game, played it a ton a decade ago when the store had people that played. then I moved to the east coast where apparently no one cares about the game.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

Apparently the core book and Fallen Kingdoms guide will set me back about $100USD. So I'm looking at a $160 investment in a game (which nobody plays locally) if this isn't self contained.

I think this is what discourages me every time I start to get interested in the LOTR battles game.

What’s the Fallen Kingdom book? Everything I’m seeing is indicating that only the core rules and Battle Companies are required.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

It's the army list for the Haradrim, Easterlings, and the other humans who sided with Sauron.

Although looking at it now, I think their rules might be repeated in the skirmish book as well?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

It's the army list for the Haradrim, Easterlings, and the other humans who sided with Sauron.

Although looking at it now, I think their rules might be repeated in the skirmish book as well?

Yeah that’s my understanding, that the BC book has lists for all the war bands you can use already in it. So either buying the core rules or acquiring a convenient PDF along with the BC book should be golden.

I’ll probably wait on the purchase of the core rules to see what the new rulebook looks like.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That seems like the most reasonable approach.

Plus it'll give me a chance to put some paint on my middle eastern middle earthmen.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009
I guess, if you insist on being a filthy Easterling. :colbert:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Nobody likes the Easterlings! I actually picked up a ton of Haradrim when they went blow out sales, it's one of the upsides of living on the East coast.

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

moths posted:

Nobody likes the Easterlings! I actually picked up a ton of Haradrim when they went blow out sales, it's one of the upsides of living on the East coast.

That’s awesome. I was too late to the game to actually find any of the Middle-Earth stuff in stores. At least a BC from Forgeworld seems pretty reasonable (for FW).

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

Shadin posted:

Yeah that’s my understanding, that the BC book has lists for all the war bands you can use already in it. So either buying the core rules or acquiring a convenient PDF along with the BC book should be golden.

I’ll probably wait on the purchase of the core rules to see what the new rulebook looks like.

The stats and rules for heroes and warriors are not in Battle Companies. BC is just rules, Warband lists (what you take and how you upgrade it), missions and a narrative campaign.

You still need your army's sourcebook and the core game rules. The only options for core rules right now are to buy the heavy hardcover Hobbit book or get the Escape From Goblin-town box, which would be a good one if you want to play those gross goblins or use Thorin's company as the dwarf warband. The army sourcebooks are cheaper than codexes or Sigmar battletomes so picking one of those up is less bad.

The upfront on this going in new is a lot (as I did) but I really want play a Mordor warband and I like these sculpts.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Hobbit book has all the statlines for all the miniatures, all armies included.

Also, shut your whore mouths, Easterlings and Haradrim 4 lyfe.

And the initial warbands are very cheap. Haradrim box: 6 archers, 6 spearmen.

Haradrim team: 4 archers, 4 spearmen.

Unfortunately, they all upgrade to raiders.

Easterlings are troublesome since they only have two pikes in the box, and that's the starting number, so if you roll more, you need an another box.

OTOH, they upgrade to Black Dragons, which are... Haradrim+? Just buy an another box and paint them black.

Danimo
Jul 2, 2005

JcDent posted:

The Hobbit book has all the statlines for all the miniatures, all armies included.

I forgot about that. Since the Battle Companies are all made of basic warrior models you could probably just use that for a while. Those stat lines don't include any special rules like Terror but I think each company just has a slim chance of recruiting a model with extra rules.

I bought the Mordor orcs box which had the 9 you need plus 3 extras. Not a bad deal.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Trying something a bit different for my Escher gang, using heads from Statuesque gifted by a kind goon. I like the pseudo-military feel it gives them, which I might play up with the paint job (perhaps using the old Ork Kommando idea of camouflage patterns far too garish to be real camouflage).

If I didn't already have far too many things to paint and build, I'd be tempted to buy an extra box to build some different weapon combos and poses, and use the Statuesque Bionic Female head set.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Two great games of Newcromunda against Genghis Cohen today. I was sceptical about the game but any reservations are completely gone! It’s definitely a good game.

People who complain that Escher are underpowered against Goliath need to L2P :smuggo:

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Did you play the box game version with tiles, or the 3D gang war?

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Box with tiles. Escher will be even better in the 3D game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JcDent
May 13, 2013

One down, nine to go :/