Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Where are you finding condemned shacks for only 750k? Looks like a good no work flip opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Elephanthead posted:

Where are you finding condemned shacks for only 750k? Looks like a good no work flip opportunity.

In Seattle there is currently an entirely burned out home on Beacon Hill for sale at a list price of $550k so it's not totally unreasonable

seiferguy posted:

Presented without comment:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

HEY NONG MAN posted:

In Seattle there is currently an entirely burned out home on Beacon Hill for sale at a list price of $550k so it's not totally unreasonable

Lol, that's a couple of blocks from where I used to work. Sounds like property values are going up uP UP in flames

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I kept seeing a listing for a 2000 sq. ft. “home” in a nice neighborhood in Denver, only 330. Turns out, it’s actually a 4000 sq ft empty lot that they’re trying to subdivide and sell as individual plots (at 330 ea.) for someone to build on.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
3 weeks later but we're finally in contract :toot: Now to get denied on the mortgage or find the house has no c/o's!

Edit: question, with rates the way they are now do FHA streamlines still make sense? We were thinking of streamlining from 30yr to 5/1. We can afford the 30 yr rate I just think that rates will stay low so I'd like to go lower now.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 5, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sepist posted:

3 weeks later but we're finally in contract :toot: Now to get denied on the mortgage or find the house has no c/o's!

Edit: question, with rates the way they are now do FHA streamlines still make sense? We were thinking of streamlining from 30yr to 5/1. We can afford the 30 yr rate I just think that rates will stay low so I'd like to go lower now.

Don't do a variable rate loan when rates are at historic lows. Certainly don't do a variable FHA loan.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF
Did the builder walk-through in my new house today. Found a lot of very minor paint issues, but hilariously one of the HVAC units poo poo the bed while we were there. It was making some weird noise so the supervisor walking the house with us called their HVAC contractor to come look at it real quick. Guy says the unit is trying to heat and cool at the same time and the compressor is toast now from switching on and off non stop, said they would replace the unit entirely once his boss showed up to agree/approve of it. So his boss shows up and low and behold it's the same dude that installed a new HVAC in my current house last summer and has known my wife since high school. His wife was even our travel agent for our honeymoon and poo poo. He pulled me aside and said he would replace it with a upgraded unit for the "inconvenience" so that was nice, I don't even own the house yet.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

thebushcommander posted:

Did the builder walk-through in my new house today. Found a lot of very minor paint issues, but hilariously one of the HVAC units poo poo the bed while we were there. He pulled me aside and said he would replace it with a upgraded unit for the "inconvenience" so that was nice, I don't even own the house yet.

That guy probably just did you more of a solid than you know. The bulk builder units are absolute garbage meant to just barely outlast the warranty while eating start/run capacitors for lunch (not covered) and cooling inefficiently. Definitely get that guy a bottle of his favorite drink.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
But also consider that he's loving your wife.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

HEY NONG MAN posted:

But also consider that he's loving your wife.

Hey man, he just wants it to be nice and cool (or warm) when he comes over and plows the old lady. He's a goddamned gentleman, that's what he is.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

H110Hawk posted:

That guy probably just did you more of a solid than you know. The bulk builder units are absolute garbage meant to just barely outlast the warranty while eating start/run capacitors for lunch (not covered) and cooling inefficiently. Definitely get that guy a bottle of his favorite drink.

Yeah I actually looked the models up online and they are well reviewed Carrier units. One is 17.5 SEER and the other is ~20 SEER so pretty efficient. I remember when my brother moved into his new construction home a couple years back and they had used some low-end Goodman brand (has since died and been replaced) that couldn't keep the temp within 12 degrees of what it was outside. Where I live where it's 100+ in the summer that sucks.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
lol

"A Metro Codes Department blunder helped enable builders to construct at least 85 homes too close together in the booming Nations neighborhood in Nashville. "

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2017/12/06/blunder-enabled-homes-nations-get-squeezed-closer-than-law-allows/926290001/

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Mandalay posted:

Took a dump in my new home. Now it’s truly mine.

Just recently looked at a house and we opened a bathroom. Something didn't smell right. So I opened the list and someone had taken a massive fermenting poo poo and didn't flush it. I tried to flush it but the water was off. The stench was so bad I vomited over the top of that dudes poo poo.

A couple weeks later and our realtor told us her colleague was showing the same house. The vomit poo poo was still there.

Either way I kind of liked the home but I'll never forget the overwhelming stench. Didn't buy.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Impressive. I didn’t think to poop before purchase. That’s a bit presumptuous

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It was horrible.

Then we found a home we liked. The sellers didn't make a single update to it. The windows were terrible aluminum or something, we could feel the cold air blowing in. The roof is 24 years old. Limited comps in the area because it's the kind of town where people sell to their children. Good neighborhood, schools. But they were asking a bit much. For 70k more in the same neighborhood 2 months ago, there was a well updated home with an additional 1200 sq ft. We could technically afford that price range but not if we want a family soon. Similar and better maintained homes sold in the 480's 12+ months earlier.

Our realtor (wifes childhood friend) sends over the sex predator listing. I look it up out of curiosity and see my wifes sisters husband on it. I send it to her without thinking and now there's this whole blow up right as we put in an offer for the home.

Anyway sellers meet us halfway but my wife wants to lowball them a bit, so I agree to it. It's 5k less than their counteroffer (asking 510k and 10k closing credit). Will see!

Oh yeah VA Loan, so we're basically financing closing costs. Seller will make a handy profit either way, but apparently they're 'insulted'.

FAGGY CLAUSE fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 15, 2017

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

They're insulted you're using a VA loan?

Why did your realtor even feel the need to relay that message?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

No Butt Stuff posted:

They're insulted you're using a VA loan?

Why did your realtor even feel the need to relay that message?

Insulted about the low ball offer, I'm assuming

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Oh ok. I misread. I still don't know why realtors feel the need to pass that along. I don't give a poo poo if you have an emotional connection to a financial transaction. Either you're selling it to me or not.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS
We close on Monday, so we are supposed to wire the down payment/closing costs to the settlement company this morning so it's there by Monday morning. Our money was in Capital One 360, but their web login has been down since 7am, so we can't see, transfer, wire, or do anything with our money right now. Awesome.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah insulted by the low offer.

My agent explained a couple things to me regarding VA loans. One is that they're more strict when it comes to appraisals(or was it inspections? jesus)

The other is that many veterans go through USAA assuming that their awesome customer service in other areas applies to home loans. But apparently it doesn't and they're terrible at it. She said she's even seen offers rejected outright if they see it coming from USAA. The VA loan shouldn't be an issue in this case as the seller used one.

Anyway, sellers counter offer again and they're stuck on netting 505k. Wife just won't budge from 500k net. She really likes the home but doesn't love it apparently.

FAGGY CLAUSE fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 15, 2017

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ObsidianBeast posted:

We close on Monday, so we are supposed to wire the down payment/closing costs to the settlement company this morning so it's there by Monday morning. Our money was in Capital One 360, but their web login has been down since 7am, so we can't see, transfer, wire, or do anything with our money right now. Awesome.

You can call to wire funds. You can't do a wire from their site anyways as I recall.

ObsidianBeast
Jan 17, 2008

SKA SUCKS

H110Hawk posted:

You can call to wire funds. You can't do a wire from their site anyways as I recall.

We called and they had us send the instructions via fax or email and they would initiate, but their FAQ explicitly says to do everything online. It helps if your online-only bank account has a working login when you need it.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FAGGY CLAUSE posted:

Yeah insulted by the low offer.

My agent explained a couple things to me regarding VA loans. One is that they're more strict when it comes to appraisals(or was it inspections? jesus)

The other is that many veterans go through USAA assuming that their awesome customer service in other areas applies to home loans. But apparently it doesn't and they're terrible at it. She said she's even seen offers rejected outright if they see it coming from USAA. The VA loan shouldn't be an issue in this case as the seller used one.

Anyway, sellers counter offer again and they're stuck on netting 505k. Wife just won't budge from 500k net. She really likes the home but doesn't love it apparently.

You do not have a good agent.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

ObsidianBeast posted:

We called and they had us send the instructions via fax or email and they would initiate, but their FAQ explicitly says to do everything online. It helps if your online-only bank account has a working login when you need it.

Fair enough, the last time I tried to wire money from them it was INGDirect.

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Elephanthead posted:

You do not have a good agent.

Probably not, although moreso for reasons I haven't given here. What in particular makes you say that?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
So we have received our appraisal, inspection, and title search - all came back without issues. We're just waiting for the survey which we're not expecting issues on. Assuming that is clean, should we expect to close in ~3 weeks or longer? Our original estimate was Feb 1st. Our financials are also very sound, as we don't have any large withdraws or deposits out of our accounts and most of ledger just contains paycheck deposits and credit card payments (I pay everything on my amex, nothing from checking/savings)

Reason I ask is I need to provide an estimated start date to a new job, I will be switching right after we close.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sepist posted:

So we have received our appraisal, inspection, and title search - all came back without issues. We're just waiting for the survey which we're not expecting issues on. Assuming that is clean, should we expect to close in ~3 weeks or longer? Our original estimate was Feb 1st. Our financials are also very sound, as we don't have any large withdraws or deposits out of our accounts and most of ledger just contains paycheck deposits and credit card payments (I pay everything on my amex, nothing from checking/savings)

Reason I ask is I need to provide an estimated start date to a new job, I will be switching right after we close.

With no problems on anything you should hit your estimate as long as you stay on top of people to move paperwork. It is not out of line to ask for an expected turn around day on anything asked of anyone, then hold them to it. Set calendar reminders. Wire the money a few days early (ask them how) to prevent any last minute surprises. Round up. They will cut you a check for overage but will screw everything up if you are a dollar under.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
I just closed on a house, today.

Welp.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Welp.

Congratudolences.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

Welp.

How much have you spent at Lowe's so far

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

oh christ.

so : my closing day for the sale of my house was pushed back to the 29th because of the buyer's lender. i'm closing the sale and purchase of the new house on the same day.
i've been waiting for early access to the place i'm buying, and expect that to come in any day now. the seller of my new house got early access to their place on monday, the 18th.

allegedly, my realtor told my buyer's realtor this, and the buyer's realtor told the buyer that THEY WOULD HAVE EARLY ACCESS TO MY PLACE today. never mind that no lawyers have been involved with early access for my buyer at all. no paperwork, nothing. So now my buyer's pissed and threatening to 'back out of the deal' if they don't at least get access to my place by friday afternoon. my lawyer told them that if they back out of the deal, they'd be sued.

so my house is half packed, i took the whole week off of work, movers are scheduled for the 26th, but now i'm waiting to hopefully hear tomorrow that the realtors and the lawyers straightened the buyer out.

if it all goes through, i sure hope this house collapses on their loving heads the day after closing.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.

Photex posted:

How much have you spent at Lowe's so far

So far: $0.

I take possession on the 29th and then have a 2 week overlap with my current apartment.

The attic is accessible by a normal door/stairs so I want to get the roof insulated with closed-cell insulation.

Then there's some mold in the basement I want to get removed.

My inspector suggested I seal the foundation in the spring so I might look into/read about doing that.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nerdrock posted:

allegedly, my realtor told my buyer's realtor this, and the buyer's realtor told the buyer that THEY WOULD HAVE EARLY ACCESS TO MY PLACE today. never mind that no lawyers have been involved with early access for my buyer at all. no paperwork, nothing. So now my buyer's pissed and threatening to 'back out of the deal' if they don't at least get access to my place by friday afternoon. my lawyer told them that if they back out of the deal, they'd be sued.

What does your realtor say to that? What does their boss say to that? This is something that needs to be reported to the licensing agency if true.

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

baquerd posted:

What does your realtor say to that? What does their boss say to that? This is something that needs to be reported to the licensing agency if true.

My Realtor said that their realtor claims that my realtor told them that they'd have early access on the 20th. My realtor says that she didn't say that at all, and that she told them that they were hoping I'd get early access to the place I'm buying on the 20th. Reaching out to bosses will do little good probably. I learned after hiring my agent that they're by a VERY large margin the top grossing performer in the agency, which explains why she's lovely and useless to me. Bonus points : the buyer's agent is in a different agency, and he's the owner's brother. Also their lawyer I've had multiple friends who've dealt with him (one selling to this lawyer's client , and one buying from this lawyer's client) and both have very unkind things to say about him.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
This is all he-said she-said and because your agent shouldn't be blabbing about your plans the other agent can hand waive this away as "oh I misunderstood that as you telling me that my client could get in then if they did paperwork. Sorry my client over reacted."

Unless they are true poo poo heaps they should be able to walk their client back from the edge, assuming it wasn't just faux histrionics to get you to cave.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
This is such a non-issue I can't believe you have to deal with that. Nothing in the contract, and a verbal conversation to boot. What shitheads

Our appraisal and inspection was supposed to be submitted yesterday after having been completed last week, however nothing has been uploaded. drat holidays :(

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

This is all he-said she-said and because your agent shouldn't be blabbing about your plans the other agent can hand waive this away as "oh I misunderstood that as you telling me that my client could get in then if they did paperwork. Sorry my client over reacted."

Unless they are true poo poo heaps they should be able to walk their client back from the edge, assuming it wasn't just faux histrionics to get you to cave.

yeah. my concern is that they are indeed true shitheaps. that's my luck anyways. the only person in this whole equation i have any trust in whatsoever is my attorney. (New York State is I guess the only state that has one for both parties?)

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I don't see how backing out at this point is beneficial for anyone. If they're inconvenienced by not having early access, not buying a house at all will only add to the inconvenience.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002
It's a verbal "agreement" which I doubt you have to honor. There's a reason all this poo poo is spelled out in the contract.

Also, early Christmas gift! Someone subleased my old place, 10k saved!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0craztinazn
Feb 24, 2006
I just closed on a house yesterday. The immediate feelings of regret weren't surprising, but holy crap, the selling realtor was a large reason for said feelings. If you can't upload documents required for closing, wouldn't it make sense to identify someone to assist you with that? At least the sewer line was cleaned out and repaired as part of the deal. A+ to this thread for useful buying advice that steered me away from two other homes.

Total cost spent on supplies from Home Depot thus far: $2.61.

pr0craztinazn fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 22, 2017