Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

Yeah agree that other commodities are equally “useless” but as you pointed out they developed over the history of civilization because at one point they fit the bill. Just the right amount of scarcity plus a certain durability. Gold made sense a long time ago and now it’s almost ingrained in our DNA.

Bitcoin is loving stupid and while I’m sure people will make money, people will lose an equal amount because it doesn’t generate any money, as it’s pure speculation. If you make $100k someone will lose $100k eventually when it pops.

There will be suicides shared online when it happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Can't wait for the blockchains to take up ~50% of any reasonably sized hard drive

Can't wait for the markets to go even more topsy-turvy if there's ever an internet/power blackout for an extended period in a metro area

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

paternity suitor posted:

Yeah agree that other commodities are equally “useless” but as you pointed out they developed over the history of civilization because at one point they fit the bill. Just the right amount of scarcity plus a certain durability. Gold made sense a long time ago and now it’s almost ingrained in our DNA.

Bitcoin is loving stupid and while I’m sure people will make money, people will lose an equal amount because it doesn’t generate any money, as it’s pure speculation. If you make $100k someone will lose $100k eventually when it pops.

There will be suicides shared online when it happens.

It's already happened in previous bubbles. And some people have killed themselves because they lost their wallets years ago and now that lost BTC is worth something.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

i want to eat ribs MYO :yum:

in 3.40 swing gogogogogo

https://www.finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=341&t=MYO
https://www.finviz.com/screener.ashx?v=341&t=MYO&ta=0

Only registered members can see post attachments!

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

The fungibility of bitcoins is pretty valuable, as you can buy coins for yuan, print out your wallet if you are scared of your emails being intercepted, and take it to somewhere that it can be sold for dollars.

If China makes it easier for yuan to leave though, it could be bad for bitcoin.

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

So again, bitcoin is only useful for doing otherwise illegal things

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Triglav posted:

Bitcoin is the cost of a number of kilowatt hours in your local currency.

Yah and also the amount junkies want to pay for untraceable drug

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

paternity suitor posted:

So again, bitcoin is only useful for doing otherwise illegal things

Not really, bitcoin is not anonymous, it's slow and has high fees. If you want to do anything besides hold bitcoin like an idiot you're better off converting it to another cryptocurrency that's actually useable.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Any of y'all have monthly dividend stocks that you like?
-
I don't like Bitcoin at this point. Its competitors on the other hand seem much more able to handle the load.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

Jamfrost posted:

$GAIN

EDIT:
Not monthly, but I've been watching $CTL lately. It's been a bit beat up the past few months so the yield is pretty high right now (~12%). I got in some earlier this week, hoping for a bounce back in the price.

jvick fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 21, 2017

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Jamfrost posted:

Dividend investing in this bull market seems kind of worthless but VET pays monthly and has 6% yield. Also SHAW, GAIN, and SJR are good.

You can also look at DIVB which is an new etf that holds companies likely to do buybacks as well as pay dividends but it's quarterly.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Thanks to ya two. I'll take a look at all of those.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

treerat posted:

Not really, bitcoin is not anonymous, it's slow and has high fees.
Unfortunately, 99% of people think the complete opposite.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Jamfrost posted:

-
I don't like Bitcoin at this point. Its competitors on the other hand seem much more able to handle the load.

There's a lot of good ones.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

The cool thing about this rally is there is a ton of money going into tech stocks that don't pay dividends in the blind faith that the companies will reinvest the excess capital into technological improvements that will never exist. And so a lot of traditional companies that have nothing to do with that smartly give out their excess capital back to investors. They are well managed and will survive the upcoming bear market.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

treerat posted:

Not really, bitcoin is not anonymous, it's slow and has high fees. If you want to do anything besides hold bitcoin like an idiot you're better off converting it to another cryptocurrency that's actually useable.

If you make your own wallet and transact in parking lots, it's pretty anonymous.

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

vaginal facsimile posted:

The cool thing about this rally is there is a ton of money going into tech stocks that don't pay dividends in the blind faith that the companies will reinvest the excess capital into technological improvements that will never exist. And so a lot of traditional companies that have nothing to do with that smartly give out their excess capital back to investors. They are well managed and will survive the upcoming bear market.

Stop stealing my investment thesis! Even my weed stock pays dividends!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

In that case, wouldn't it make sense for them to stockpile capital for the upcoming downturn?

treerat
Oct 4, 2005
up here so high i start to shake up here so high the sky i scrape

crazypeltast52 posted:

Stop stealing my investment thesis! Even my weed stock pays dividends!

What's a good Canadian weed stock, I wanna buy some before they legalize.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
duh qyld is where its at. gimme dat sweet .6% monthly!

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe
I’m glad I bought PCG at $55

I guess now I can double down at $40 :shepspends:

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

treerat posted:

HMMJ.TO

:2bong: :420: :350:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

treerat posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/weedstocks/

I own CVE:MJN and TSE:WEED, you can also look at comparable companies, I'd honestly say the ones under 500m CAD in market cap to capitalize on the M&A potential.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Welp after reading this I officially want all crypto speculators to spend christmas penniless and dying in the frozen streets

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/12/iced-tea-company-stock-triples-after-adding-blockchain-to-name/

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE
$24 million iced tea company says it's pivoting to the blockchain, and its stock jumps more than 200%

I think I'm going to change my farming corporation to Blockchain Farms Inc and sell it for 250% of what it's worth...

:wtf:

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

jvick posted:

$24 million iced tea company says it's pivoting to the blockchain, and its stock jumps more than 200%

I think I'm going to change my farming corporation to Blockchain Farms Inc and sell it for 250% of what it's worth...

:wtf:

You don't see it, but let me explain, Iced tea on the blockchain

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

RIOT has been a poster child for crypto-mania.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/riot/revenue-eps

Their 2017 revenue was $72,524. :stare: There are people putting their life savings into things like RIOT stock. People are going to be ruined.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Greed is a hell of a thing. I wouldn't be able to help myself but rip profits out once it doubled.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i bet that guy who made 1.3M off gbtc is really happy now

he sold at like 3100 and was angry it was still rising

invest in uhh antianxiety meds I guess, pfizer?

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

LLCoolJD posted:

RIOT has been a poster child for crypto-mania.

http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/riot/revenue-eps

Their 2017 revenue was $72,524. :stare: There are people putting their life savings into things like RIOT stock. People are going to be ruined.

With this and $GBTC, dare we say the bubble is bursting?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

freezepops posted:

I’m glad I bought PCG at $55

I guess now I can double down at $40 :shepspends:

Lol what caused the sell off? It had been on my radar to buy but was holding off until the new year

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Did someone buy RAD?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

jvick posted:

With this and $GBTC, dare we say the bubble is bursting?

Possibly. Overstock (OSTK) is weathering the day better than some of the other stocks out there. Either way, I am steering clear.

Lol what caused the sell off? It had been on my radar to buy but was holding off until the new year

I read something about them suspending their quarterly dividend to assess the fallout from these fires in California.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

treerat posted:

I'm long TWMJF, ACBFF, APHQF and MEDFF.

jvick
Jun 24, 2008

WE ARE
PENN STATE

LLCoolJD posted:

I read something about them suspending their quarterly dividend to assess the fallout from these fires in California.

FWIW
There is a constant barrage of ads on the radio from law firms trying to set up a lawsuit against PG&E. Essentially they're blaming them for all the Napa / Sonoma fires due to lack of tree maintenance around power lines. Sounds like it's gaining a bit of momentum.

With that said, I don't see them going anywhere. Who would replace them? SMUD I don't think could handle taking over. They just built a $50m gas training facility in our town. Could be a good time to get in.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

e: nm

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

treerat posted:

IIPR is US based and is a REIT that focuses on medicinal marijuana facilities, but probably not volatile enough for true weed stock gambling.

freezepops
Aug 21, 2007
witty title not included
Fun Shoe

They halted dividends until their liabilities for the recent forest fires is established.

Ah gently caress, beaten. Should have refreshed before :justpost:

freezepops fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Dec 21, 2017

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Looks like it's gonna pop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Bought SGH today thinking they'd have a good earnings call and yay up 11.5% after hours. This never happens to me so I'm happy :kiddo: