Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Zesty posted:

Googled Hostile Architecture. It really pisses me off we go this far out of our way to tell the most vulnerable class in our society to gently caress off.

Thank goodness we got rid of those unsightly homeless by making our city inhospitable to human life.

I'm the inevitable liability lawsuit when some dumbshit kid injures himself playing on these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

If that bench had had more spikes, this never would have happened.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

BraveUlysses posted:

:thunk:

that's just a bench m8

The reason why benches at bus-stops, stations and airports are so loving awful, is to keep homeless people away.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Straight White Shark posted:

I'm the inevitable liability lawsuit when some dumbshit kid injures himself playing on these

I was thinking the same thing, cool looking spikey poo poo is a magnet for boys.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Zesty posted:

Googled Hostile Architecture. It really pisses me off we go this far out of our way to tell the most vulnerable class in our society to gently caress off.

Thank goodness we got rid of those unsightly homeless by making our city inhospitable to human life.

Shoulda used menacing earthworks.

Let the homeless know that this bench is not a place of honor for the next 100,000 years.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
What was that experiment in Scotland (?) where they gave heroin as in straight up heroin without any other gunk in it to addicted criminals? Might have helped them administer it too? Iirc crime went down as did mortality and other complications, and some people were even able to take on a job and start paying taxes once they were no longer forced to crime to get their powder for the day that may not be laundry detergent. Did I dream this? If not then that seems like a cheaper deal than spike boulder bridges. No? Am I crazy?

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Karate Bastard posted:

What was that experiment in Scotland (?) where they gave heroin as in straight up heroin without any other gunk in it to addicted criminals? Might have helped them administer it too? Iirc crime went down as did mortality and other complications, and some people were even able to take on a job and start paying taxes once they were no longer forced to crime to get their powder for the day that may not be laundry detergent. Did I dream this? If not then that seems like a cheaper deal than spike boulder bridges. No? Am I crazy?

This could never work in America where those who use drugs are every bit (if not more) evil than those who push them, and deserve hellfire and torment for infinity.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Field Mousepad posted:

I was thinking the same thing, cool looking spikey poo poo is a magnet for boys.

Kids need to play more Megaman.

Mu Zeta posted:

So my city has been having homeless problems for a while now. Camps would be cleared out by Public Works crew and then they would just come back a few days later and it repeats ad nauseum. So what do they do? Spend $8,700 to put these boulders around the problem spots. How does a bunch of rocks cost almost 9 grand? Also, the rocks can be easily moved by two people.

Back when I worked in a Fortune 500 company, some executive shill came in to discuss the pressing need to go open office. During this discussion, he said that moving a box, like a normal one you carry your poo poo in, from one building on campus to another costs about $400. It was at that point that I realized that I was in the wrong industry.

Here's some schadenfreude from r/legaladvice, although my STDH meter isn't calibrated so:

quote:

To preface, I'm a 20 year old girl who is involved in an online fetish called "findom". For those who don't know it's basically like being a sugar baby, but it's all online and involves the aspect of humiliation.

I do this all over twitter and instagram, and 8 months ago I met a guy who wanted to be a "slave/paypig" of mine. All this means is that it wont be a one time thing, and he would consistently send me a minimum amount of money that we agreed upon. It was a whole application we did, and I know all his information with proof. The agreement was for one year, and if he ever backed out I was given permission to share humiliating photos he sent me, known as consensual blackmail.

For the entire duration of this agreement, there were no issues. He consistently sent me the amount we agreed upon when starting all this, if it matters that amount was $2,000. I would also do a PC control session, where I could use his accounts to send myself money and gift cards from amazon and other stores. All of this was done with his permission.

The Legal Issue

About two months he gave me his credit card information and allowed me to spend another $2,000 a month at will. These cards were his, all the information matched that he provided me with proof when we first started this contract.

Two weeks ago he allowed me to use the cards without limit as a treat for the holidays. I got carried away and pretty much maxed them all out, to the amount of $45,000. He got angry at me for doing this even though he gave explicit permission that I could use the cards however I wanted. He reported all his cards stolen and said I am hosed because I cannot use someone's card without them being present. He also said that blackmail is illegal, even though what we did was CONSENSUAL BLACKMAIL. I have messages from him on twitter and text where he agreed to all the terms when we started. I also made him take a video for further proof.

I am panicking now because I will almost certainly be visited by police eventually when the credit cards investigate all of this. Was he right in saying that it doesn't matter if he agreed to all of this beforehand that it is still a felony?

The guy is from Arizona

I don't know who the schadenfreude is technically on.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GrandpaPants posted:

Here's some schadenfreude from r/legaladvice, although my STDH meter isn't calibrated so:

:randpop:

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Me for reading that nonsense

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Karate Bastard posted:

Did you mean this article? http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/Heroin

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I'm pretty sure a city in Canada tried this out as well. Toronto or Vancouver, maybe. They didn't provide the drugs but they provided a clean location to use, as well as free and clean needles and sterilization materials to help reduce disease transmission. Not sure if it's still going on and what its success rate was for reducing things like HIV and hepatitis.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Raptor1033 posted:

I'm pretty sure a city in Canada tried this out as well. Toronto or Vancouver, maybe. They didn't provide the drugs but they provided a clean location to use, as well as free and clean needles and sterilization materials to help reduce disease transmission. Not sure if it's still going on and what its success rate was for reducing things like HIV and hepatitis.

it still exists in vancouver and they are considering opening them in the seattle area, which has tons of people freaking out

some dumbshits even went as far as trying to create a voter initiative to ban these sites and it was slapped down by the courts before it made it to a vote

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/10/18/washington-state-judge-rules-in-favor-supervised-injection-sites.html

dat lede doe

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Raptor1033 posted:

Needle exchanges, at least, are a tried and true method with pretty much no downsides, and people will fight tooth and nail to stop them from existing.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

GrandpaPants posted:

It's on the homeless people puncturing their lungs on sidewalk spikes while that dude literally pays someone to spend his money because he has too much of it.

Goon Danton posted:

Needle exchanges, at least, are a tried and true method with pretty much no downsides, and people will fight tooth and nail to stop them from existing.

As I'm sure you know, this is because many people would rather have other people to judge and look down on, than have an actual solution to a pervasive and damaging problem. It's also because people are too loving stupid to see that $100/year coming out of their taxes for a social program saves them $200/year in bullshit.

Veni Vidi Ameche! has a new favorite as of 16:54 on Dec 21, 2017

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Don't expect the federal government to step in and offer assistance. Pence basically shut down all the poo poo that was working in Indiana when he was Governor, and the CDC got called in because of the resulting AIDS epidemic.

He still sees no wrong in what he did. He eventually got in with the ACA to help, but it's not like AIDS is curable, so yea he's a fuckwit.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

It's on the homeless people puncturing their lungs on sidewalk spikes while that dude literally pays someone to spend his money because he has too much of it.

The solution here is clearly to create an army of findom ladies to fundraise for pro-homeless causes.

"hey paypig, I just spent your money on a hot meal and hotel for several homeless people"

Financial cucking? That could work

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GrandpaPants posted:

the F+ did an episode on FinDom and it's crazier than you can imagine. I completely believe that this happened in some fashion.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Solice Kirsk posted:

Get upset at the spikes if you want, but you wouldn't let two or three homeless people sleep in your yard either.

Why not? If you have the room and aren't using it who cares?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Just lol if you're not catfishing several paypigs at once to finance your yacht-crashing habit.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tdu4uKSZ3M

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

food court bailiff posted:

Just lol if you're not catfishing several paypigs at once to finance your yacht-crashing habit.

Yeah if paypalling money to me will make anyone's jerk off sessions more fulfilling, I won't say no.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Moron throws out HDD containing 7500 bitcoins four years ago, is surprised city won't let him tear up their entire landfill to find it.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I know the answer to any bitcoin related question is always the dumbest one or there just isn't an answer because they don't know what they're doing but:
With a real currency, the government is always replacing/printing money to ensure the right supply based on their economic policies. If 10 billion dollars in physical currency went to the bottom of the ocean every year that would not be a problem, they'd just print more, there's no worry about running out.

But with bitcoin I'm constantly hearing stories of people losing their coins, forgetting passwords, that sort of poo poo. As bitcoins become more and more impossible to "mine" yet more and more coins are simply lost, is the solution just to keep inflating the "value" of the coins? What happens when a majority of coins are lost and just floating uselessly?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
The Free Market will provide, stop spreading FUD.

realistically, Bitcoin will probably be replaced by Bitcoin 2.0 (for real this time!) or someone will figure out how to brute force wallet passwords economically and collapse the whole thing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Atmus posted:

The Free Market will provide, stop spreading FUD.

realistically, Bitcoin will probably be replaced by Bitcoin 2.0 (for real this time!) or someone will figure out how to brute force wallet passwords economically and collapse the whole thing

People are already doing that. I don't remember what the site was called but last time I checked people have succesfully bruteforced around 15 private keys that contain (small amounts of) bitcoin.

Hermsgervørden
Apr 23, 2004
Møøse Trainer

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm convinced there's a "homelessness industry" because the yearly budget is like $250 million and nothing gets done. Somebody is funneling that money.

I also live in San Francisco, and have been involved in homeless issues to a certain degree. While I appreciate how wild that number is, there are a lot of misconceptions about that amount. The main thing to understand is that about half of that money ($110,000,000) is spent on acquiring and maintaining and subsidizing permanent housing for formerly homeless people. That population is actually several times greater than the number of people sleeping on the streets (~7500) and is cheaper than leaving them unhoused. We know this because the next largest line item from the homeless services budget is medical care at ~$46 million. Eviction prevention also accounted for $29 million, which is also much cheaper than letting those people end up on the streets. So, a lot gets done that is invisible to you, guy who only sees people camping on the sidewalk and never sees the people who would be there except they are housed instead.

There is a lot of disfunction in the city, and homeless services could be way better, but the accomplishments of the DHSH are actually impressive and deserve respect instead of derision.

By the way, I successfully advocated for a homeless navigation center in my neighborhood, so I have walked this walk.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
The currency of the future!

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ElGroucho posted:

The currency of the future!

What about all these bottlecaps I've been saving???

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

But with bitcoin I'm constantly hearing stories of people losing their coins, forgetting passwords, that sort of poo poo. As bitcoins become more and more impossible to "mine" yet more and more coins are simply lost, is the solution just to keep inflating the "value" of the coins? What happens when a majority of coins are lost and just floating uselessly?

Deflation, something already occurring to an extreme and which has already pushed pretty much anyone attempting to use bitcoin as a medium of exchange out of it. Bitcoin is also inherently deflationary; there's a maximum number of coins possible and severely diminishing returns on mining them.

So what deflation does is make the currency inherently worth more. If one bit coin buys a pizza today and hyper deflation kicks in, that same bitcoin buys a car next month. Consequentially, people don't want to spend their money; it'll be worth more later if they just hang onto it. In the real world this doesn't impact most people on a day to day basis, but even slight deflation makes financial institutions wary because they need a better return on their cash than just holding onto it to make it worthwhile. Starting to see the problem here?

To bring this back around to real currency, this kind of thing is why the penny still exists. While it costs more to make a penny than a penny is worth, the fact that pennies tend to vanish from the economy to sit in coin jars and the like keeps them profitable to make.

Farmdizzle
May 26, 2009

Hagel satan
Grimey Drawer
Aren't there a shitload of bitcoin wallet keys that are generated using the John Galt speech as a seed?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Bitcoin is deflationary because its not based on real life economics but rather the whims of maniac libertarians.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

So I know the answer to any bitcoin related question is always the dumbest one or there just isn't an answer because they don't know what they're doing but:
With a real currency, the government is always replacing/printing money to ensure the right supply based on their economic policies. If 10 billion dollars in physical currency went to the bottom of the ocean every year that would not be a problem, they'd just print more, there's no worry about running out.

Essentially the idea is, if the bitcoin economy is worth $10T in 2017 dollars 20 years from now, that value will be "split" among all the bitcoins circulating. So if half of them get lost, the rest would double in value (deflation). This is okay because there isn't (as much of?) a hard lower division on bitcoins as there is on cash: we can only go down to pennies in cash transactions, but they'll happily spend .000004 bitcoins on something if that's the value it has.

In fact, this is one of the things driving the diehards. Just like collecting comic books, you're relying on other people's bitcoin wallets getting thrown out or wrecked somehow, so that yours have value through scarcity.

e: beaten a bunch

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
"When I'm the only one with access to Bitcoin, I'll be a trillionaire!"

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

orange sky posted:

Now we'll discover all the children raping rings he had

How do you go about "discovering" the existence of the Roman Catholic Church :confused:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there any good scootin' frooty from the MRA-types about Ocean's 8 yet?

The trailer looks fun. Certainly better than Ghostbusters was.

People hated on that because it was all women, when that wasn't the problem. (the problem was piss poor writing and a bad cast)

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Randaconda posted:

The trailer looks fun. Certainly better than Ghostbusters was.

People hated on that because it was all women, when that wasn't the problem. (the problem was piss poor writing and a bad cast)

Nah, the problem with Ghostbusters was it wasn't a Ghostbusters movie. It was a movie about people busting ghosts, which is fine, but don't call that Ghostbusters.

The teaser for the trailer for Ocean's 8 (why is that a thing) had some pretty awful poo poo in it, though. Like, straight up hope for a supernova because this planet was a mistake style bad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Straight White Shark posted:

How about an elderly person stumbling or slipping and hitting their head on one of those things?

e: Kruller, source your quotes.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, check just under your post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

nerdz posted:

The solution here is clearly to create an army of findom ladies to fundraise for pro-homeless causes.

"hey paypig, I just spent your money on a hot meal and hotel for several homeless people"

Financial cucking? That could work

This might work. You'd just need a platform with features that would attract both findoms and finsubs. You take a cut, or offer paying memberships to your list of verified findoms, or something like that, and funnel the money to charities. I'd work on this project.