Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
I died twice in a row last night to blind-fired scatters into enclosed hallways, which was new because I'm used to at least having to turn the corner to get deleted from max health. I wasn't even Sonic'd either, it was just one bullshit lucky Hanzo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Thor-Stryker posted:

This is already in the game.

Sake!

HMM...

HMM...

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Give Hanzo Piercing Arrow. It can go through multiple characters and ignores armor and shield HP. Barriers still stop it.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
delete hanzo and a good chunk of the toxic playerbase will probably go with it

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr

Constantine XI posted:

Give Hanzo Piercing Arrow. It can go through multiple characters and ignores armor and shield HP. Barriers still stop it.

If you go that direction you should go with a ramping damage conept. First target hit takes normal damage, with each target in line pierced increasing damage.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

are the air movement changes still only on the PTR?

I want to try out some incredibly dumb jumps while sprinting

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Less Possible Fixes

Replace his scatter arrow with a new "duty arrow". Duty arrow seeks out the nearest enemy Hanzo and upon hitting the target, checks to see if Hanzo is the target's most played character. If so, it changes the target to a class the team actually needs.

Replace his scatter arrow with a new "honor arrow". Honor arrow automatically kills any hero struck by it. On a miss, your battle.net account is deleted permanently to expunge the shame of your failure.

Replace his scatter arrow with a new "loot arrow". Loot arrow spawns a loot box at the location that can be picked up to distract foes. Upon testing, however, it has no actual effect, as players just ignore the boxes because cosmetics don't matter.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Cosmetics are the only thing that matter, friend

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

My actual suggestion is that they change scatter arrow to a single ricochet arrow. When the arrow hits a surface, it should have a small amount of enemy-seeking adjustment to its angle. Prioritize targets that are illuminated by sonic arrow but out of hanzo's direct line of sight. Now it does what it was supposed to do without also dealing unreasonable damage to people's feet. It just does normal arrow damage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Blizzard has admitted that Hanzo would be "pretty anemic" without scatter, so you're going to have to improve some aspect of his kit if you ditch scatter.

DeliciousCookie
Mar 4, 2011
Well the main problem with Scatter is more as someone else had said, its a poorman's shotgun. If they reduced the damage, or lessened the number of shots that sprang out, it would have been more likely to be used to finish or weaken opponents.

That said, I think simply improving Hanzo's UI would be an incredible buff to him. Make it so that charging is visible on the aiming retical to give you at least an idea of where it'll land. Or make it arc less overall.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Replace scatter arrow with a shot that goes through barriers

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
give hanzo a sword that does 120 damage per hit in melee

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

turtlecrunch posted:

You can also apparently blind fire at their spawn. :allears:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smiuNuom5cM

I think what he did was stand in the room on our side that is parallel to their spawn door and fired a diagonal at the exit, aka simple geometry.
Would like it if this game could reach a point where we don't all lose our poo poo because the Mercy died.

At a lower SR I accidentally will kill Mercy with dragon all the time. It's like they see someone with low health and fly to them like a moth to flame.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Pendent posted:

Replace scatter arrow with a shot that goes through barriers

I actually really sorta like this one-- but I still think you need to give Hanzo some sort of escape/cqb option. Give him this and double jump.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Something like replacing scatter with 'exploding arrow' (simple radius AOE) and adding 'piercing arrow' (goes through barriers) to his kit would be hella rad.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Hanzo's problem is that his scatter arrow is unreliable, his 2nd skill is just a mini widow ult, and his ult while strong, can easily be avoided.

If his 2nd skill allowed his arrows to go through walls to hit enemies, would that make him better?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Dizz posted:

If his 2nd skill allowed his arrows to go through walls to hit enemies, would that make him better?

I think that would be a cool ability, if instead of scatter arrow he had a special arrow that pierces walls, presumably can't headshot and only up to 50m or some such.

It would unfortunately leave him without any sort of defensive or escape ability. Maybe you could give Sonar arrow some extra effect when you peg an enemy with it? Slowing or stunning them or something? Though then that would discourage using it for recon and that's the closest thing to team play most Hanzo players engage in.

I dunno, I think he's due a rework overall.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Make an explosive arrow just a regular part of his kit, but he has to stand completely still and let a momentary animation play out to pull the bowstring hard enough. He can move about two steps after finishing his charge before he goes back to his regular stance.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Dizz posted:

Hanzo's problem is that his scatter arrow is unreliable, his 2nd skill is just a mini widow ult, and his ult while strong, can easily be avoided.

I don't think they should double down on his current design of Randomly Make People Die. It's honestly hard to propose any rework to Hanzo because all of his abilities are stupid. Scatter Arrow is fine as a skillshot but sometimes doesn't work for no reason or kills someone you weren't aiming at and couldn't even see by chance. The Sonic Arrow means that he can catch you as you go around a corner with no warning. His leftclick is a spammable shot that occasionally just take you out at any range.

To be clear I'm not claiming that Hanzo is overpowered - most of the time he whiffs all his shots and achieves nothing, which is why he's bad. But I don't think his gameplay of essentially random pickoffs is good either. For me it's just never fun to play against a Hanzo, I'm just strafing and hoping that this time isn't the 20% of the time he happens to land a killshot on me.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Honestly scattered arrows would be work better if it had more arrows firing around, but they don't do headshot damage anymore and do maybe the same damage a say DVA's rockets. That way they are very dangerous in a hallway, but can be minor elsewhere.

The Blue Caboose
May 20, 2007

jeff gerstmann hates fun

Rirse posted:

Honestly scattered arrows would be work better if it had more arrows firing around, but they don't do headshot damage anymore and do maybe the same damage a say DVA's rockets. That way they are very dangerous in a hallway, but can be minor elsewhere.

Scatter arrows don't headshot now. Reducing them to the same damage as D.Va's rockets would constitute something like a 60% damage nerf.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

The Blue Caboose posted:

Scatter arrows don't headshot now. Reducing them to the same damage as D.Va's rockets would constitute something like a 60% damage nerf.

Wait they don't? Then what keeps instant killing me as Orisa with them? Or is that part of the PTR change?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

You can headshot with the initial arrow before it scatters (like with Sonic Arrow and even Dragonstrike), which is why you sometimes see a red scatter arrow in the killfeed.

e: also the max damage with Scatter Arrow is 450 so it can one-shot Orisa if all 6 shots hit.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
I'm pretty new to the game, does anyone have tips for dealing with faster characters like Genji and Tracer? I play tanks and healers, but Orisa is especially a problem for me - I just got out of a game where I just could not even touch the enemy tracer and they pretty much just hunted me down and killed me all game.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Play winston to shoo them away. Play mccree to stun tracer and then shoot her.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Maybe scatter arrow, if it's kept in a rework, despawns the arrows if they haven't hit another surface within 0.2s after the first bounce? So an infinite number of theoretical bounces in a confined space with no need of homing, and makes it impossible to get ganked randomly when the Hanzo isn't even after you. You could even reasonably reduce scatters max damage at that point.

Star Frog
Nov 15, 2000

just spitballen here, two things:

Give Hanso double jump like his brother
Turn scatter arrow into quick volley, Instant shot lazy tracking that throws an arrow at everyone in a generous reticle.

Make him more of a brawler.

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Less Possible Fixes

Replace his scatter arrow with a new "duty arrow". Duty arrow seeks out the nearest enemy Hanzo and upon hitting the target, checks to see if Hanzo is the target's most played character. If so, it changes the target to a class the team actually needs.

Replace his scatter arrow with a new "honor arrow". Honor arrow automatically kills any hero struck by it. On a miss, your battle.net account is deleted permanently to expunge the shame of your failure.

Replace his scatter arrow with a new "loot arrow". Loot arrow spawns a loot box at the location that can be picked up to distract foes. Upon testing, however, it has no actual effect, as players just ignore the boxes because cosmetics don't matter.

I would play no one but Hanzo if his new ability instantly turned an enemy into a random support or tank.

pech
Jul 19, 2004

What if it shot 3-4 arrows simultaneously in a line that cumulatively did less than 200 damage but you could rotate the line of arrows horizontally or vertically (like meis ice wall i guess) to shoot around corners and stuff

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

I'm glad we are all way worse at character design than Blizzard

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

what if blizzard fired hanzo out of a cannon into the sun

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Manatee Cannon posted:

what if blizzard fired hanzo out of a cannon into the sun

Look scatter arrow isn't any better if it comes from the skybox.

EmpyreanFlux fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Dec 21, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I'm surprised they haven't done a Japanese subway attendant skin for hanjo which makes him yell whatever japanese is for all aboard or mind the gap before firing a loving train out of his bow.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

FAUXTON posted:

I'm surprised they haven't done a Japanese subway attendant skin for hanjo which makes him yell whatever japanese is for all aboard or mind the gap before firing a loving train out of his bow.
This is inspired, and I'm hoping that a Blizzard employee/forums poster somehow sees it and passes the idea along to the art team.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ersatz posted:

This is inspired, and I'm hoping that a Blizzard employee/forums poster somehow sees it and passes the idea along to the art team.

you and me both

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2T_61NPdg&t=63s

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uz2T_61NPdg&t=18s

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 21, 2017

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That is the best idea

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
It's already almost been done, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNaTZV8qS1I

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
Got off my rear end and finished my placements. Played mostly Zenyatta this time as opposed to Soldier/Junkrat the previous two seasons. Placed at 2907. Down from 3100 from the last two seasons as dps. Dps ranking bias blah blah blah.

Very last game I played out of my mind as Zenyatta and actually beat out the Mercy on my team in healing. Ended with over 14,000 healing done (gold) and 10,000 damage done (silver). Transcendence healing done was about 6,000. Sometimes micromanaging heals just clicks and things like that happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

lol @ blizzard being harrassed into making hipster hanzo more hot