Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

GoutPatrol posted:

but what about those lebbos australians hate so much
Australia just legalized gay marriage, so I think that situation is slowly improving. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

controversial

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Aren't these violent acts against Asians just college professors stating factually accurate things that go against Chinese state propaganda? 台灣第一名 for example.

To me it sounds like, "Chinese have hurt feelings, therefore all of Asia will stop contributing immigrants," which is completely absurd.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

GoutPatrol posted:

yes yes yes

but what about those lebbos australians hate so much

Lebbos are vaguely muslim looking but like Cronulla was 2003 or something, muslim bashing is the new hotness

value-brand cereal posted:

You people don't know how to make gently caress? :confused: Like I could teach you but I'd have to charge.

All western popuulations have declining birth rates but maybe we can fix that over a drink :bigtran:

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 21, 2017

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Atlas Hugged posted:

"Chinese have hurt feelings, therefore all of Asia will stop contributing immigrants," which is completely absurd.

Was gonna say, to everyone but the mainlanders that's probably an incentive.

Insulting mainlanders, that is. Not the immigration blockade.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
I'm in Malaysia visiting Legoland with my family and it's so weird to be at a theme park without thousands of tours filled with shouting Henan nongs

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Mods please wordfilter “nong” to one of the following:

1. hayseed
2. hooplehead
3. bong lol

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
No why

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
not here, but in D&D you will be reported within minutes

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The Great Autismo! posted:

not here, but in D&D you will be reported within minutes

🤔

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://gslb.miaopai.com/stream/CN5kQ4IBLRSEZkJ71~TkCv3c~2le8bc8kAB3Dw__.mp4

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Another good Chinese thing I think I haven't seen mentioned in here somehow is the way Chinese people are content to sit around the apartments with all the lights off even if it's pretty dark out. I think this is solely to save the pennies that it costs to have lights on, yet they will open the windows when they have A/C on lol.

My most China memories are being at my in-laws' apartment and there is like some really lovely reality TV show on where some guy is constantly yelling 哇!哇!哇!啊!哇!we're sitting around with all the lights off at like 6pm and can barely see anything, and then everyone is super loudly slurping watermelon. There's a little plastic garbage can on the table so that you can throw in your watermelon rinds and spit seeds into it. I try to drink my water that's been sitting there cooling for ten minutes, but someone tells me it's "cold" and tries to pour me fresh hot water, and I tell them for like the 60th time that I am fine drinking "cold" water.

I still catch my wife on this where I'll come home at like 4:30pm and it's winter in Pennsylvania so it's barely light out, and she's hunched over her tiny laptop screen with every single light in the apartment out. You can barely see anything and I'm sure it's further ruining her already lovely eyesight trying to look at a bright screen with all the other lights out. It just never occurs to her "it's dark out, I should get up and turn on the lights."

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
watch the wei guan develop in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbA0WKv77k

edit: getting a 403 on the direct link now; rehosted

big time bisexual fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Dec 21, 2017

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

big time bisexual posted:

watch the wei guan develop in real time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhbA0WKv77k

edit: getting a 403 on the direct link now; rehosted

:3: he's like a lil cockatiel bird! Looks at a car, screams, and then starts destroying it!

Also, I'm the cop who looks at my watch wondering how long this 'being shown evidence' bullshit is going to take.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
So I'm stumbling home tonight when I finally arrive at my hotel. The guy manning the door leaps to his feet and asks if I need help getting to my room. In this process he states precisely what my floor and room is without ever having been told.

I ask, "Sir, how do you know my room number?" To which he replies, "Sir, that's my duty," and I press, "Sure, sir, but how did you instantly know my room and floor?"

He laughs back, "Because we have cameras."

I suck in air and then say, "How many foreigners stay here?"

And he says, "I couldn't tell you that. Japanese. Korean. Many come here."

And I nodded and said to myself, "At least I'm counted by those he can't count." Ostensibly. Ostensibly.

But the one white face? He knew that man by the sticky note left on the table.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I heard Chinese media is focusing on incidents of racism against Asians in Australia as a way to distract from their soft power plays in the country.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

https://twitter.com/uscirf/status/943958254022934528

imagine an australian uni banning chinese new year celebrations

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nickmeister posted:

I heard Chinese media is focusing on incidents of racism against Asians in Australia as a way to distract from their soft power plays in the country.

Making a huge deal about something meaningless as a distraction while you're doing other, more illegal, amoral, wrong things in the background is a pretty standard MO for loud, brutish, babythinking people and groups. E.g. 'that girl' who always pivots to something pointless when you try to critisize, or the current POTUS, NRA (T think has done that a few times)...

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
i work for an online retailer that sells a lot of chinese imported items, and i've been wondering why the word "Fashion" is on Every. God. Damned. Box. somehow?

is the google translation hosed or what, do they honestly think a cheap little microSD spy camera is fashionable??!?

it's baffling how often they use the word as branding on the box, do they have like a list of "HOTT" english words or something?

oh and don't even get me started on the shoddy china > english google translate manuals these products come with, good god. i've spent many hours literally debugging these gadgets with my hands in order to write a legible manual, the translated ones are so hellish and usually the only feedback you get when doing something is an LED flashing a few times in red or blue. and the manual will say something like "WHEN CRIMSON LED CLOSE, PLEASE CONTINUE PLAY, IS GOING." ahh yes hmm that makes things easy thanks for the amazing quality assurance, china!

would anyone be willing to manually translate a picture of a tidbit of one of these manuals, just so i can see if the chinese instructions are equally as retarded as the auto translated ones?

:)

:(:(:(:(

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
its also cool when our chinese suppliers play the "never lose face" card and we end up arguing about useless poo poo for 10 minutes until they finally, oh finally, give an extremely simple answer with just what i was wondering about.

gently caress this poo poo is second hand shortening my life span, im not even in china!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Baronjutter posted:

Why are there so many videos of chinese people seemingly purposefully throwing them selves down the plethora of open pits and shafts that exist in the celestial empire? Sure there's tons of videos of people very much accidentally falling down some sort of pit because of extremely unsafe conditions, but almost every single video I've ever seen of someone seemingly purposefully driving or throwing them selves into a pit has come from china.

it is every citizen's final duty to go into the pit, and become one with all the people

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

angel opportunity posted:

Another good Chinese thing I think I haven't seen mentioned in here somehow is the way Chinese people are content to sit around the apartments with all the lights off even if it's pretty dark out. I think this is solely to save the pennies that it costs to have lights on, yet they will open the windows when they have A/C on lol.

My most China memories are being at my in-laws' apartment and there is like some really lovely reality TV show on where some guy is constantly yelling 哇!哇!哇!啊!哇!we're sitting around with all the lights off at like 6pm and can barely see anything, and then everyone is super loudly slurping watermelon. There's a little plastic garbage can on the table so that you can throw in your watermelon rinds and spit seeds into it. I try to drink my water that's been sitting there cooling for ten minutes, but someone tells me it's "cold" and tries to pour me fresh hot water, and I tell them for like the 60th time that I am fine drinking "cold" water.

I still catch my wife on this where I'll come home at like 4:30pm and it's winter in Pennsylvania so it's barely light out, and she's hunched over her tiny laptop screen with every single light in the apartment out. You can barely see anything and I'm sure it's further ruining her already lovely eyesight trying to look at a bright screen with all the other lights out. It just never occurs to her "it's dark out, I should get up and turn on the lights."

lol

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

AEMINAL posted:

i work for an online retailer that sells a lot of chinese imported items, and i've been wondering why the word "Fashion" is on Every. God. Damned. Box. somehow?

is the google translation hosed or what, do they honestly think a cheap little microSD spy camera is fashionable??!?

it's baffling how often they use the word as branding on the box, do they have like a list of "HOTT" english words or something?

oh and don't even get me started on the shoddy china > english google translate manuals these products come with, good god. i've spent many hours literally debugging these gadgets with my hands in order to write a legible manual, the translated ones are so hellish and usually the only feedback you get when doing something is an LED flashing a few times in red or blue. and the manual will say something like "WHEN CRIMSON LED CLOSE, PLEASE CONTINUE PLAY, IS GOING." ahh yes hmm that makes things easy thanks for the amazing quality assurance, china!

would anyone be willing to manually translate a picture of a tidbit of one of these manuals, just so i can see if the chinese instructions are equally as retarded as the auto translated ones?

:)

:(:(:(:(

"Fashion" is likely a poor translation of the word 時尚 (shi2 shang4) which just means "fashionable, trendy, currently popular" etc. It just happens to be a popular word in the commercial world in China (and Taiwan). Even correctly translated it sounds strange to a native English speaker because it's just a different culture I guess.

My parents love to leave the lights off well into the night. But they're not Chinese, just lazy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

AEMINAL posted:

A friend of mine recently asked me about tiny clip-on MP3 players, and sent me a link to a few from eBay that do what she wants. Each one is from China, and they cost $2 or less including postage. I told her that any specs she sees for them are likely to be made up but if she wants to blow the cost of a takeaway lunch on a bunch of them, why not. It's just not worth umming and aahing over stuff when it's that cheap - you just have to expect them to be utter shite.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nickmeister posted:

"Fashion" is likely a poor translation of the word 時尚 (shi2 shang4) which just means "fashionable, trendy, currently popular" etc. It just happens to be a popular word in the commercial world in China (and Taiwan). Even correctly translated it sounds strange to a native English speaker because it's just a different culture I guess.

My parents love to leave the lights off well into the night. But they're not Chinese, just lazy.

If I'm working at home I sometimes don;t notice its getting dark until someone comes home and is "Why are you sitting in the dark like a creepy rear end in a top hat Outrail?", and then I turn on the lights becuse low and behold it's dim as gently caress and I'm sitting in the dark like a creepy rear end in a top hat.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

This must be regional. I try to keep the lights off and use natural light as much as possible, but every Chinese person I know/work with insists on turning on every single light available at all times, no matter what, and claim if you don't have 40 fluorescent lights on it's too dark and your eyes will explode or whatever. I'll turn lights off in my own classroom or when I'm sitting alone in a fully sunlit room and random Chinese people will pop in and turn all the lights on for me and then vanish.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

The rape of Nanjing anniversary was a week or so ago, and I argued with some Chinese people on twitter about it.

There's a really "interesting" line they are brainwashed to say about it: "Never forget national humiliation."

It's kind of like "never forget" in the US I guess, but the phrasing is so bad to me for a number of reasons. The rape of Nanjing was an atrocity. It was really really bad and the Japanese were in like a nationalistic brainwashed fervor and put kids' heads on pikes and poo poo. It's like on the level of the holocaust, but more savage and frenzied and less calculated. So rightly China does not have positive feelings toward it, but of all the words to use to describe your national feeling toward this atrocity...humiliation? It's like pulling in the loving face aspect or something. If you are the victim of a genocide or the victim of Americans napalming your village for no reason or something, I think the fact that it was "humiliating" is near the bottom of your list of concerns.

It shows to me that the reason Chinese are mad about it is purely nationalistic and face based rather than a less alien version of what it should actually be. When people in the west visit holocaust museums, it's this sombre thing where we reflect on the potential cruelty of human beings, and how we should learn from those mistakes. Germans have a nice big compound word for it (Vergangenheitsbewältigung) which can I guess be non-literally translated to: "struggle to overcome the negatives of the past." For Germans and all these western countries who share very similar cultures and roots to Germany (most of Europe and US, Australia, Canada, etc.) we see these atrocities and realize that if we aren't careful, we could quickly become the ones inflicting these atrocities and cruelty onto others.

For the Chinese, I guess it's just like: "We lost face when Japan came onto our country and HUMILIATED us (by putting babies on bayonets and raping people's eye sockets). We better never forget how humiliating that was and what a loss of face it was. The lesson here for us is that there is something in the Japanese genes or physiology that will lead them specifically to commit atrocities like this again." They completely miss the real lesson of this, and their response to it is to get super nationalistic and war-mongery against Japan, which could never lead to Chinese committing an atrocity against Japan.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
old guy fed up with ofos and mobikes clogging the sidewalk

https://my.mixtape.moe/ulngbg.mp4

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That man is a hero.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd be lying if I said I haven't done that myself.

Velisarius
Nov 1, 2009
A huge amount of institutions, especially in education, are heavily influlenced by or entirely bought out by Chinese interests, as are huge swathes of farmland.
The sorts of articles that were posted above are generally self-serving, whilst pointing out the growing discontent of the usually docile Australian public (drunken fights are not indicative of general attitudes, despite thoughts to the contrary).

As someone currently living in Melbourne, it's quite disconcerting to see the huge amount of catering to a group of people in any capacity, whether it be for money or for partiular religious interests. That people from a particular place feel the need to write articles to justify their existence with sole regard to 'economic benefits' is largely telling of that community.

As mentioned, the Chinese are, in general, isolated, do little to actually contribute to local colour, and really only pop their heads out when they just have to defend their beautiful 5000 year old civilisation at events that mostly only Chinese go to, or poo poo like this.
Chinese 'soft power' is definitely an issue as numerous politicians have been gifted sums of money in order to encourage pro-Chinese stances.

There's a lot more that could be said, obviously, but frankly you all know what I'm talking about and I just felt the need for a brief bout of light complaining.

Speaking of 'racism', it's not uncommon to hear around the office 'I was the only white face in a sea of yellow today,' with regard to the public transport. Although it's more of a truthful observation.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Pirate Radar posted:

Mods please wordfilter “nong” to one of the following:

1. hayseed
2. hooplehead
3. bong lol

And here I thought hooplehead was just something StarkRavingMad made up for Boatmurdered.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I also do this, lol

The rape of Nanjing anniversary was a week or so ago, and I argued with some Chinese people on twitter about it.

There's a really "interesting" line they are brainwashed to say about it: "Never forget national humiliation."

It's kind of like "never forget" in the US I guess, but the phrasing is so bad to me for a number of reasons. The rape of Nanjing was an atrocity. It was really really bad and the Japanese were in like a nationalistic brainwashed fervor and put kids' heads on pikes and poo poo. It's like on the level of the holocaust, but more savage and frenzied and less calculated. So rightly China does not have positive feelings toward it, but of all the words to use to describe your national feeling toward this atrocity...humiliation? It's like pulling in the loving face aspect or something. If you are the victim of a genocide or the victim of Americans napalming your village for no reason or something, I think the fact that it was "humiliating" is near the bottom of your list of concerns.

It shows to me that the reason Chinese are mad about it is purely nationalistic and face based rather than a less alien version of what it should actually be. When people in the west visit holocaust museums, it's this sombre thing where we reflect on the potential cruelty of human beings, and how we should learn from those mistakes. Germans have a nice big compound word for it (Vergangenheitsbewältigung) which can I guess be non-literally translated to: "struggle to overcome the negatives of the past." For Germans and all these western countries who share very similar cultures and roots to Germany (most of Europe and US, Australia, Canada, etc.) we see these atrocities and realize that if we aren't careful, we could quickly become the ones inflicting these atrocities and cruelty onto others.

For the Chinese, I guess it's just like: "We lost face when Japan came onto our country and HUMILIATED us (by putting babies on bayonets and raping people's eye sockets). We better never forget how humiliating that was and what a loss of face it was. The lesson here for us is that there is something in the Japanese genes or physiology that will lead them specifically to commit atrocities like this again." They completely miss the real lesson of this, and their response to it is to get super nationalistic and war-mongery against Japan, which could never lead to Chinese committing an atrocity against Japan.

this is a good post, thanks for posting

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

The idea that the culture of remembrance stuff being used as fuel for nationalist/ethnic hatred is somehow a perverse or unnatural and unforeseen consequence seems just hilariously naive to me. That quote about those who don't remember history repeat it etc is one of the dumbest tidbits floating around in the liberal imagination IMO. It's literally the opposite. Every single nationalist rivalry/hatred in history has justified itself by claims to ancient injustices it seeks to avenge. One of the unique features of the Holocaust was that Jewish nationalism didn't really care about Germany either before or after the war, it focused on Arabs.

I basically take the position of David Rieff in his book

https://yalebooks.yale.edu/book/9780300182798/praise-forgetting

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/mar/02/cult-of-memory-when-history-does-more-harm-than-good

quote:

As a reporter in the Bosnian war, in 1993 I went to Belgrade to visit Vuk Drašković, the Serb nationalist politician and writer who was then leading the mass opposition against the Slobodan Milošević regime. Drašković had drawn liberal as well as ultra-nationalist support in Serbia for his cause. As I was leaving his office, one of Drašković’s young aides pressed a folded bit of paper into my hand. It turned out to be blank except for a date: 1453 – the year Orthodox Constantinople fell to the Muslim Ottomans.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 22, 2017

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

That line isn't about Nanjing per se, that's just the worst episode of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century_of_humiliation

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Back to weed chat a bit. I was walking by the police headquarters near my apartment, when I saw a scruffy-lookin guy (Han, or close to it, I think) walking the other way on the sidewalk. He had this long, thin, ornate pipe in his mouth. It looked like something you'd expect Lo Pan to smoke from. As he passed by me, yup, big old weed cloud trailing behind him. The cops in the parking lot booths he'd just walked by should probably have been able to smell it.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

they should just be like japan and pretend it never happened lol

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Why do people feel like they need to be parked perpendicular across the sidewalk? These things wouldn't be a problem if they parked them parallel.

Darkest Auer
Dec 30, 2006

They're silly

Ramrod XTreme

VideoTapir posted:

Why do people feel like they need to be parked perpendicular across the sidewalk? These things wouldn't be a problem if they parked them parallel.

The moment people step off the bike it's no longer their problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Darkest Auer posted:

The moment people step off the bike it's no longer their problem

Why make things easy for others when you can be an rear end in a top hat?

• Locked thread