Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beet Wagon posted:

Hell, same. I don't know as much about video games development as Toops but IMO Mark Hamill looks melty and bad.

I feel like they wanted to weather him somehow, but the end result is really weird without being outstanding in any particular way.

There seems to be a similar look across most of the characters. Like they wanted to go for some kind of a style but opted for something so close to realistic that it's impossible to look at the models without thinking they failed to achieve one goal instead of accomplishing another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

XK posted:

Figure out what happened to Gary Oldman.

i wonder if it bugs him to have this garbage fire perpetually at the top of his filmography

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000198/

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

hardycore posted:

it breaks my heart we wont ever get another live demo disaster reel like in august

CIG: Hold my beer.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The Titanic posted:

Tell us how well “walking around space stations talking to people in first person between trade runs” went for them? Because I hear it’s a big feature in Star Citizen and I hope they do it right. :allears:

It was one of the first things they patched out.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

Scoops extracted:

I hope this is true because if you have to go through five chapters before you get to do anything or fly a ship it will literally be loving hilarious. And it is so much a Chris Roberts thing to do.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

The Titanic posted:

Also having any characters that treat the main character like crap for no reason isn’t immersive.

This is Chris Roberts' (tm) Squadron 42 (tm): A Chris Roberts Story, so you have to expect it is going to follow certain narrative tropes. The wet behind the ears newbie will get a dressing down and a bunch of tough talk from each of the senior cast members, and then on his first real mission a big disaster will happen and he will have to step up. Perhaps he will save the ship they're all flying on? This will earn him the grudging respect of all of his peers, except for whoever turns out to be the traitor in the cast- that person will continue to be hostile. Then later, Old Man will sacrifice himself to stop something-or-other related to that betrayal and the player will have to step up again and become WING COMMANDER.

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

Nicholas posted:

i wonder if it bugs him to have this garbage fire perpetually at the top of his filmography

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000198/

Post-production??? Hahahahahaha.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Womp womp.

Captain_Richard took a unpaid day off work to do this stream btw.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

someone took the day off to watch a 2 hour commercial.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The Titanic posted:

Making Hamill either not a lovable guy, or a hilariously over the top tongue in cheek super villain, is a crime.

Also having any characters that treat the main character like crap for no reason isn’t immersive.

This is my problem with that teaser. People are criticizing the technical aspects of it, or that it doesn't show any space flight or combat. All valid criticisms. My issue is that the guy is presented as a straight up rear end in a top hat. You're really going to talk like that to the crew maintaining your ship, or your wingman who's tasked with the responsibility of having your back and helping protect your life?

I'm average Joe, I'm going to want to play a game where I have to take poo poo from somebody just like my incompetent jerk boss? The first thing I'd want to do is friendly fire that oval office.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

wait, what? Is this real? They paid IGN for that promo and now can't deliver the livestream?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

226 posted:

Wow, the inner-thought system is terrible. I thought you guys were exaggerating. Why is the voice over for the "thought" so robotic? Why are the "thoughts" actions/dialogue instead of thoughts?

Seriously, put an audio filter over the voice work to make it more like an internal monologue, and change the options to something like "Wow, It's THE 'Oldman'", and "Ugh, what an idiot". And it could actually be pretty cool.
The best - and only consideration for Roberts - thing about the Inner Thought System™ is that it almost doubles the player voice-acting needing to be recorded for no reason at all.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

i wonder how many hours this is in a row for the guys working on the demo reel

it's that plus 24 now lol

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

XK posted:

This is my problem with that teaser. People are criticizing the technical aspects of it, or that it doesn't show any space flight or combat. All valid criticisms. My issue is that the guy is presented as a straight up rear end in a top hat. You're really going to talk like that to the crew maintaining your ship, or your wingman who's tasked with the responsibility of having your back and helping protect your life?

I'm average Joe, I'm going to want to play a game where I have to take poo poo from somebody just like my incompetent jerk boss? The first thing I'd want to do is friendly fire that oval office.

Stay frosty.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

They're always late, and it's always poo poo

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Ahahahahaha

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Does this mean our Uncle and Dear Leader will delay 24 hours his thoughts as well? :ohdear:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Derek, please post some stuff

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Nicholas posted:

CIG live stream events are a lot like groundhogs day:

Livestream starts on time: footage is a pre-rendered cut scene, outsourced from another company
Livestream starts late: footage is live in-engine, and the stream is delayed due to the devs working to the last minute to get a working engine build.

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

hahahah no loving way

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

What's that? Star Citizen is delayed? Well that's never happened before.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Poor devs....no sleep tonight

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Hahahaha holy gently caress. Let's rub!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

During our FINAL REVIEW we discovered that none of our poo poo works, so we need another whole day to figure it out.

Wow that's really unfortunate, CIG. I'm absolutely certain that all your SQ42 in-game demo poo poo was working perfectly up until just moments before the broadcast, where it all went tits-up during your final review, which implies there were other tiers of review before this during which everything worked 100%. What a coincidence!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

What a trainwreck.

The hits keep on coming.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

tuo posted:

Derek, please post some stuff

There's no point, Chris will chop all the scoops out of the stream by tomorrow. That's why the delay is happening.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

24 hour delay. Delicious.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Hell, same. I don't know as much about video games development as Toops but IMO Mark Hamill looks melty and bad.

lol it's just my opinion man. And honestly, the fact that I've actually modeled 3d faces myself probably makes me the biased one. I'm really poo poo at modeling, so I probably give CIG too much leeway, especially given how many professional "best in class" artists they have, let alone how much they've oversold the ground breaking fidelity that Star Citizen will revolutionize PC gaming with.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hot balls man no homo posted:

What's that? Star Citizen is delayed? Well that's never happened before.

adepto a refugium

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

For the contest, I said it would it would be delayed 13 minutes. I actually meant 24 hours + 13 minutes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

Hahahaha holy gently caress. Let's rub!

Derek alt spotted.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Someone find footage of the final review

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

tuo posted:

Poor devs....no sleep tonight

lol, like they slept any of the last 4 or 5 nights

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

XK posted:

Not a Star Citizen. They would eat that poo poo up and gleefully submit to throwing more spacebucks at CIG so Mark Hamill can be a oval office to them in game.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Saddest Robot posted:

I think the problem is more with the lighting and directing rather than the actual model and mocap. The lights are way too intense and the skin looks too shiny and fake because of it. Lighting can be very hard to get right and often what you think looks good or right in one context will look very wrong when you add in the scene and environment.

Yeah this is the point I'm trying to make. The models are there. Yeah they could use some touch-up, and Hamill's forehead area turns into a cylinder which looks bad, but all that is absolutely dwarfed by the terrible, awful camera moves, lighting, and shot composition.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Rad Russian posted:

It was a JPEG, probably heavily photoshopped. Other short cutscenes they probably did in Maya. This is realtime render off a 3D model in CryEngine so obviously it will look like poo poo because CIG is incompetent. Like people mentioned, Hellblade had to do mocap on a shoestring budget with a home-made rig that they themselves designed and looks 100 times better. Because they have competent devs.

Also even though this looks like it was done in CryEngine it was obviously still re-touched and pre-rendered with additional effects (flares, inner thoughts, director angles, lightning). So in-game it will actually look worse than this. Probably ~2010 level of quality at best.

Hav posted:

Why doesn't that look like cryengine?

I mean, seriously, look at Oldman:

Then look at the render quality of that bullshot.

So what I’m hearing is CIG has been making renders in Maya and saying “it’s totally real guys!!!” In much the same way as a ship is parked on a photograph of some real world location is also “totally in game!!!” And now when they actually have to start showing stuff it turns out Maya has a significantly better renderer than CryEngine does even with all the bells and whistles set to maximum fidelity.

But even with that... the character looks nothing like Hamill. They may of well of just had him email them a voice clip and they could glue it into whatever they wanted. There’s no point in using Hollywood stars if they literally look nothing like the actor they are aiming for. Like when they had Kevin Spacey, it literally looked just like Kevin Spacey. But that’s probably from a better dev team who knows what they’re doing.

Dunno! :shrug:

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hahahahahahhahahahahahaha

I’m dying

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

It's always fun to hit the sub right after news like this comes out, before the Star Citizen Anti-Defamation League has got their marching orders. The anger is really raw:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7lbpsg/looks_like_the_stream_will_now_be_on_the_22nd/?st=jbgvww32&sh=f1b91a40
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7lbppu/holiday_atv_special_rescheduled/?st=jbgvwwy1&sh=ab66ef2d
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7lbq6y/live_stream_delayed/?st=jbgvz462&sh=d74b3711