Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Toops posted:

lol it's just my opinion man. And honestly, the fact that I've actually modeled 3d faces myself probably makes me the biased one. I'm really poo poo at modeling, so I probably give CIG too much leeway, especially given how many professional "best in class" artists they have, let alone how much they've oversold the ground breaking fidelity that Star Citizen will revolutionize PC gaming with.

Nah sorry, it wasn't meant to come off as snarky, I was just being honest - I legit have less experience with any of this stuff than you. I wasn't intentionally being a dick, just accidentally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

Hahahahahahhahahahahahaha

I’m dying

Here Ben, have another doughnut.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Imagine not beeing able to show gameplay of your game after five years of development

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Hav posted:

adepto a refugium

LMFAO they literally can't do anything right. Ever.

Worst company in history.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

quote:

Not even funny. I planned my day around this event and now you just say "nah, tomorrow" ..... you had a whole year of preparation guys....... not professional.

quote:

Here comes the entitled brat brigade!

quote:

Get over yourself. Reactions like yours are exactly why game devs usually dont have open development.

monkeytek
Jun 8, 2010

It wasn't an ELE that wiped out the backer funds. It was Tristan Timothy Taylor.
If only there was somewhere that I could surreptitiously read the heart broken comments of citizen faithful...

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Captain_Richard took a unpaid day off work to do this stream btw.

kill jester

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I was wrong, delaying the stream by a day would be the cherry on the cake lol

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
I hope everyone is staying frosty

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Lladre posted:

Oh man. this made me realize.

All the inner thought and voice responses for a female avatar are going to be Sandi.

Bahahahahahaha!
This is going to be epic.
All reply options in thoughts and voice are

'Bitch!'

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

CIG yanks the football away at the last second again.

I love you CIG, I really, really do.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MarcusSA posted:

I’m dying

So is the game.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/wayn72/status/943925698477154304

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

P.S. Star Citizen's "Main competitor," Elite Dangerous, has been out for so many years that you can now buy it for $7.50 on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/Elite_Dangerous/

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Seriously these guys were probably promised that they were going to have tomorrow off after working their asses off all week but nope

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

It's almost like real professional outfits would have their poo poo together a few days or even weeks ahead of time.

CIG tries to ram everything together the day of, like a college student staying up all night to put together their paper after loving around for 4 months.

What a poo poo show.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

hot balls man no homo posted:

I hope everyone is staying frosty

Frostier than a snowman's nuts in Siberia.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Sarsapariller posted:

It's always fun to hit the sub right after news like this comes out, before the Star Citizen Anti-Defamation League has got their marching orders. The anger is really raw:

I'm the guy posting about how this is to be expected when your company doesn't put any money into marketing.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Beet Wagon posted:

Nah sorry, it wasn't meant to come off as snarky, I was just being honest - I legit have less experience with any of this stuff than you. I wasn't intentionally being a dick, just accidentally.

Oh no you're good man, I felt like I was the one being a bit snarky and hifalutin'. That was my awkward attempt at a mea culpa. Was just trying to say your opinion is at least as valid as mine, if not moreso.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
So a completely broken engine that is only realized as being unsuitable for presentation is discovered as such literally minutes before the event thanks to a final review.

But, with a year or more to prepare, and assuming this thing was ready to go until that final review revealed it was complete poo poo, how can they be certain that 24 hours is enough time to get it working? 5 years certainly hasn't been enough.

24 hours does seem to be sufficient time to re-jigger the event around pre-recorded snippets of actual gameplay, rather than live in-engine shots. Calling it now.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I'm the people that think a company that can't put together a 2 hour livestream with a year's notice can build the Most Ambitious Game in History™.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

tuo posted:

Imagine not beeing able to show gameplay of your game after five years of development

There just wasn't enough time. six years

Like last year, they almost finished that SQ42 trailer, but just barely didn't make it.

Are they going to make another documentary video about how they tried so hard to have things ready for the 2017 holiday stream?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Seriously these guys were probably promised that they were going to have tomorrow off after working their asses off all week but nope

Star Citizens are basically gaming masochists at this point. That's the overlap with Eve, I think.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

The Titanic posted:

So what I’m hearing is CIG has been making renders in Maya and saying “it’s totally real guys!!!” In much the same way as a ship is parked on a photograph of some real world location is also “totally in game!!!” And now when they actually have to start showing stuff it turns out Maya has a significantly better renderer than CryEngine does even with all the bells and whistles set to maximum fidelity.

But even with that... the character looks nothing like Hamill. They may of well of just had him email them a voice clip and they could glue it into whatever they wanted. There’s no point in using Hollywood stars if they literally look nothing like the actor they are aiming for. Like when they had Kevin Spacey, it literally looked just like Kevin Spacey. But that’s probably from a better dev team who knows what they’re doing.

Dunno! :shrug:

CIG probably can't pay the bespoke animation sweat-shop contractor for the full cutscene and violated all terms of their contract.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Yesterday:
The eyes of the world are upon you, CIG! This is your moment! Take my energy!

Today:
Only an entitled shitbaby thinks that the company owes him a presentation!

This is peak Star Citizen

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7lbu1x/tried_to_get_friends_to_watch_the_stream_i_am/

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
Yeah, we couldn't get our poo poo together in time for CitizenCon so we pushed it back to the Holiday Stream, but then we couldn't get our Best drat Jank Simulator Cinematic to work right still and everyone made fun of Mark looking like a downey, so Chris wants more emergency polish done to up the fidelity levels, so we are going to have to push our stream back another 24 hours.

But join us tomorrow, it's going to be epic! We have our very own Space Hobo to tell you all about our new Tank Simulator for sale as well as plugging our usual lineup of JPEGs!

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Scruffpuff posted:

So a completely broken engine that is only realized as being unsuitable for presentation is discovered as such literally minutes before the event thanks to a final review.

But, with a year or more to prepare, and assuming this thing was ready to go until that final review revealed it was complete poo poo, how can they be certain that 24 hours is enough time to get it working? 5 years certainly hasn't been enough.

24 hours does seem to be sufficient time to re-jigger the event around pre-recorded snippets of actual gameplay, rather than live in-engine shots. Calling it now.

Chris kept saying "Oh things are better now that all the people that question me are out of the company" last year and the faithful was lead to believe that all the pipelines were clean and ready to go now that the leavers were gone but nope. 2-3 major releases this year turned into 0, SQ42 was definitely coming out this year and now they cant put together a 2 hour presentation of it. 3.0 is realistically months away from a stable, feature complete version.

A Neurotic Corncob
Nov 12, 2016

A light wind swept over the corn, and all nature laughed in the sunshine.
an extremely star citizen holiday surprise

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Sarsapariller posted:

P.S. Star Citizen's "Main competitor," Elite Dangerous, has been out for so many years that you can now buy it for $7.50 on Steam.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/359320/Elite_Dangerous/

P.S. Elite Dangerous has been out for so many years that it's now old.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

tuo posted:

Someone find footage of the final review

https://i.imgur.com/6AcrCi1.gifv

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

XK posted:

P.S. Elite Dangerous has been out for so many years that it's now old.

More or less. Still consistently fun to jump into, though.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Oh did I miss the fun?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Oh did I miss the fun?

Fun was delayed by 24h

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Meanwhile Chris Roberts is running around with bright purple temples because Ben screwed up the hair dye.

*laughtrack*

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Sickening posted:

Womp womp.

Captain_Richard took a unpaid day off work to do this stream btw.

:allears:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Daztek posted:

Fun was delayed by 24h

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

gently caress these clowns.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Remember that time when Blizzard got on the stage at Blizzcon and announced that the presentation for the next big project got delayed for 24 hours?

Or when Sony cancelled their appearance at E3 because their new super secret console needed some polishing?

Or when EA promised a new trailer and failed to air the commercial for the latest Madden game because of technical reasons?

What do you mean no?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
I'm just glad CIG has done so much ground-work and now the pipelines are lubed and tubed and parping out content hot and heavy.

What a Clownfiesta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Scruffpuff posted:

Tomorrow's livestream will be a video of all the programmers trying really hard to get a vertical slice of gameplay out but because Chris is such a perfectionist they had to show nothing. Wait, this sounds familiar...