Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Incoherent light side

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Sinding Johansson posted:

8: Chronologically; has regressed into uncritically accepting the jedi teachings (implied), contemplates murdering his nephew and abandons his friends and family when things get tough. Communicates to Rey the same thoughts on the force as were communicated to him, with the addition of an incoherent light side, and the subtraction of all his development in 5 and 6 after leaving Yoda. Is spurned by Rey into confronting Kylo but accomplishes nothing. Dies.
Ah, okay. I get it now. We somehow saw different movies.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Can you actually explain what movie you saw?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

General Dog posted:

It's possible that that's how the character has been written, but if so that's disappointing. With the lengths that both movies have gone to to humanize him, it just doesn't jive that he'd murder his father and do all these unthinkable things and burn down the galaxy with no higher purpose in mind.

edit: I mean "higher purpose" in his mind, not in an objective sense.

He did have a higher purpose, he wanted to be a good sith apprentice, become Vader, etc. When that didn't go as planned in TFA he started questioning everything and arrives at the point he's at in TLJ. He's not lying to Rey, he was conflicted. Killing Snoke wasn't premeditated but it was the logical conclusion of his arc: you can see the seeds of "gently caress this old generation" throughout the film. I don't think he has a concrete plan by the end of the film just because he doesn't really have time to breath from the climax to the end.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

5 of the 7 Star Wars films that feature Jedi are explicitly critical of them (episodes 4 and 7 being the exception).

Old Luke and young Luke might as well be different characters for all they have in common.

The new understanding of the force is literally the same as the old one, with now there being a tacked on, nonsense light side.

Leia, Yoda, Han, Obiwan, Vader, the empire or the original rebels are not critically considered at all.

That this film is iconoclastic is the weirdest meme.

Old Luke is the same character as young Luke.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

its an easy mistake to make because bigger luke is definitely a different character

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Zas posted:

its an easy mistake to make because bigger luke is definitely a different character

Different from what? He's a clear extension from OT Luke.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lord Hydronium posted:

I'm not sure he has one at the moment. Killing Snoke is more of a spur of the moment thing, and his actions after that are entirely reactive, being driven by his "kill the past" philosophy rather than any sort of long term vision. His internal narrative seems to be "once I've destroyed all the remnants of the past, we can get started on making something new", but he doesn't seem to know what that new thing is.

I don't think it was spur of the moment at all actually.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Bip Roberts posted:

Different from what? He's a clear extension from OT Luke.

There's a bigger Luke Skywalker. Here's like Luke Skywalker but bigger. Sure people have a dumb theory that it's a smaller Han but it's obviously a bigger Luke. This was established in ESB.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Al Borland Corp. posted:

There's a bigger Luke Skywalker. Here's like Luke Skywalker but bigger. Sure people have a dumb theory that it's a smaller Han but it's obviously a bigger Luke. This was established in ESB.

Finally someone is making sense

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Can you actually explain what movie you saw?
Probably not to you.

Other people have made great posts about how neat Luke's perspective is in this that resonated with what I saw. I have no idea what you're talking about.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finally someone is making sense

I'm not sure if Luke or bigger Luke are the one in this film though cause I don't have a grasp on Daisy Ridley's size.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I'm not sure if Luke or bigger Luke are the one in this film though cause I don't have a grasp on Daisy Ridley's size.

She has large ankles which is probably important to unlocking the mystery.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Bigger Luke is trapped inside R2 (we see him in Jabba's palace) so I think the Luke in this movie is regular Luke.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

If anyone wants to tell me what they thought about Rey and the infinite mirror I'd like to hear. Serious request.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

PT6A posted:

The fact that 90% of everyone who's made significant story criticisms has presented worse alternatives makes me pretty sure they actually did a good job.

What is says to me is that fundamentally what the film needed was a rewrite, rather than what anyone could hope to do by slapping bandaids on things.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What if the rewriting made it worse.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

euphronius posted:

If anyone wants to tell me what they thought about Rey and the infinite mirror I'd like to hear. Serious request.
The dark side is loneliness. There's no answers there, and nothing but your own self to keep with you.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

unlawfulsoup posted:

What is says to me is that fundamentally what the film needed was a rewrite, rather than what anyone could hope to do by slapping bandaids on things.

It is paced and cut very strangely, but more and more expensive action movies seem like that to me.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

euphronius posted:

My only thought on it was that it was reflective of "nothing matters but me, I'm the beginning and the end," mentality that would be characteristic of the dark side. Solipsism, I guess. I'm open to other takes though, I'm kind of surprised it hasn't been more talked about.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
In esb Luke goes on a vision quest where he kills Vader, then sees his own face behind Vader's mask. It signifies that Luke's fear is that he isn't so different from Vader and explains his despair when he discovers Vader is his father.

In tlj, Rey sees only herself signifying her fear that she isn't some part of a larger whole but is alone. It explains her preoccupation with Kylo and why his revelations about her parentage are used to hurt her.

Sinding Johansson fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 21, 2017

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

unlawfulsoup posted:

We hate writing/direction by committee, but giving unilateral power to one person can be just as bad (George Lucas and the prequels as the best example).

This film was fun and had some really cool ideas, but it absolutely could have used a few passes through other people's hands before it filmed.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Not sure the prequels are a good example for you there.

At least explain how they have bad scripts.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You need to go back and see the scenes of Rey with Han, then you can compare it to Luke. I don't think the wiki has been updated yet with this.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Yoda had some great lines in his training. Like re the force: 'luminous beings we are' or re Luke's inquiry into what's in the cave where he goes to have his vision, 'only what you take with you'.

All I remember in this one is Luke saying the jedi should die. Lame dialogue!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Luke isn't lame. He doesn't even walk with a stick. Yoda has he lame lines.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Danger posted:

You need to go back and see the scenes of Rey with Han, then you can compare it to Luke. I don't think the wiki has been updated yet with this.

But Rey is bigger in this film than she was in the previous

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Bigger Rey or smaller galaxy?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

maybe star wars fandom is mad they will never get a live action Mara Jade

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

euphronius posted:

Not sure the prequels are a good example for you there.

At least explain how they have bad scripts.

There are hours of videos you can watch that deconstructs the sloppy writing involved in the prequels. Most notably the first one.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mike the TV posted:

There are hours of videos you can watch that deconstructs the sloppy writing involved in the prequels. Most notably the first one.

You mean the blue rays of the prequels ? I've seen them many times. What does sloppy mean and how does it apply ?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

euphronius posted:

Solipsism is an interesting take on the Dark Side. The difference between dark and light and balance have never been that coherent in Star Wars. When Luke talked about decay giving birth to new life it was interesting because it didn't seem like he was talking about decay being dark and life being light. He was talking about that whole interconnected cycle.

The dark side is presented as the opposite- losing your connections. It's feeling like you're the only thing.

At least that was one thought I had after. I'd also be interested in hearing different takes though.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Bip Roberts posted:

Old Luke is the same character as young Luke.

I thought the whole drat point was that Old Luke is, you know, older, and that he's not the same idealistic young man anymore. He briefly considered murdering his nephew, for Christ's sake.

Like, did people assume that thirty year old Luke smiling at the ghosts of his father and teacher is still gonna be that smiling dude when he's nearly 70 and had a lot of dark poo poo happen to him in the interim?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Luke Skywalkerdied the way he lived. A virgin.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Esb did a great job of Luke confronting his failed idealism. Tlj Luke is like what if he founded a Jedi school after episode 4 and episode 5 and 6 never happened to him.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Eiba posted:

The difference between dark and light and balance have never been that coherent in Star Wars. When Luke talked about decay giving birth to new life it was interesting because it didn't seem like he was talking about decay being dark and life being light. He was talking about that whole interconnected cycle.

The dark side is presented as the opposite- losing your connections. It's feeling like you're the only thing.

At least that was one thought I had after. I'd also be interested in hearing different takes though.

Does not jive with the other films. In the original two trilogies the dark side is always signified by excessive attachment.

For Luke it's excessive attachment to justice - his anger at Vader and the emperor for hurting his friends.

For Anakin it's excessive attachment to Padme

For Vader it's for maintaining order

For Maul it's for his people (taking revenge)

For Dooku it's for the past (he's a libertarian crossed with an aristocrat who doesn't like liberal democracy)

For Palpatine it's obviously to power

There is no light side and the jedi way is explicitly detachment from things (Luke rejects this)

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Luuke*

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Why do characters religious ideas have to jive across time?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's not bigger Luke. Luuke is a clone of Luke made from his chopped off hand. It is unknown if there is a bigger Luuke, though this would explain a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Well, I'm not the one claiming that this film is iconoclastic or a successful commentary on the past of the franchise.

I'm saying that the discrepancy is part of the failure for the film to be those things. It's a Star Wars film for people who never watched Star Wars. The connection to other films is superficial at best.