Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Zesty posted:

Besides the fact map size presets are exponential?

i'd assume that if it takes 5 seconds + history crunching to make a 63x63, it shouldnt take an hour to make a 126x126 or whatever the sizes are

for whatever reason, the medium ones take like 2 minutes to place rivers and mountains, and then fail constantly while the smalls just crush through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m not having that issue.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
Is the best way to make everyone a vampire to kill a vampire and dump it in the central well?

[edit] Who killed the world?

Nosfereefer fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Dec 21, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Nosfereefer posted:

Is the best way to make everyone a vampire to kill a vampire and dump it in the central well?

As I understand it's better to design a custom vampire well one tile deep with a spike trap hooked to a lever in it, so that once you fill it in with water you can get more vampire blood contamination in the water on demand in the event the blood spontaneously ceases to exist. It's not like the vampire dwarf is going to drown, or anything.

Nosfereefer posted:

[edit] Who killed the world?

Sadly policy-making about the issue is hindered by the reluctance of nobles to admit dwarfocentric climate change is a reality.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM

Shady Amish Terror posted:

As I understand it's better to design a custom vampire well one tile deep with a spike trap hooked to a lever in it, so that once you fill it in with water you can get more vampire blood contamination in the water on demand in the event the blood spontaneously ceases to exist. It's not like the vampire dwarf is going to drown, or anything.

This seems like a reasonable solution. However; necromancers - do they even drink water anymore?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007

Nosfereefer posted:

This seems like a reasonable solution. However; necromancers - do they even drink water anymore?

The wiki doesn't seem to make it very clear, but it appears that necromancers don't need anything anymore in terms of food, water, and sleep. If that manifests in the same way that vampirism does (dwarves won't drink alcohol, or anything really, unless a tavern foists the task upon them simply because they don't need to even thought that makes them grumpy), then it seems like the best thing to do would be to achieve 100% vampirism first, and THEN go after the secrets of raising the dead.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

The wiki doesn't seem to make it very clear, but it appears that necromancers don't need anything anymore in terms of food, water, and sleep. If that manifests in the same way that vampirism does (dwarves won't drink alcohol, or anything really, unless a tavern foists the task upon them simply because they don't need to even thought that makes them grumpy), then it seems like the best thing to do would be to achieve 100% vampirism first, and THEN go after the secrets of raising the dead.

Or just make sure your favourite, like, 30-40 dwarves are vampires, and then cheerfully go about your business while they eat everyone else and any stragglers get mauled by undead bits. Migrants? More like pending undead recruits! :buddy:

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!
Will vampires feed on guests?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

TheCIASentMe posted:

Will vampires feed on guests?

I think so. God, I hope so. You could put the tavern right in the middle of the vampire residential zone and call it The Larder of Bloods or something

VoltairePunk
Dec 26, 2012

I have become Umlaut, destroyer of words

Angry Diplomat posted:

I think so. God, I hope so. You could put the tavern right in the middle of the vampire residential zone and call it The Larder of Bloods or something

So basically you can create something like a "From Dusk Till Dawn" story in a Dwarf Fortress universe... Oh yes!

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
You'll want to make sure there's lots of private room space for the guests; I'm pretty sure vampires will only attack lone individuals, and I think generally only if they're sleeping. Do regular non-naturalized tavern guests sleep in tavern rooms? My previous taverns were too much of a clusterfuck to tell.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I believe if you want to be a vampire AND a necromancer in adventure mode, you need to become the vampire first, as you can't become a vampire if you're not an alive person.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh, the tracker says that Toady fixed the adventurer flooding problem yesterday. No fooling, he's hard at work.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Urist McSteinman. "They won't! STAY! STILL!"

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

:golfclap: How do you get the description to wrap?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Verviticus posted:

i'd assume that if it takes 5 seconds + history crunching to make a 63x63, it shouldnt take an hour to make a 126x126 or whatever the sizes are

for whatever reason, the medium ones take like 2 minutes to place rivers and mountains, and then fail constantly while the smalls just crush through

I can generate a large world in about 60 seconds if I turn the number of sites down to about 500 and limit the population to 10000.

Granted that makes for a very boring world, but its not the terrain. Same reason the first 100 years of history generate in moments where the next 1000 take a noticeable amount of time per year. As the number of sites grows the number of cross site interactions grows exponentially.

edit; Oh if youre having issues like that in terrain generation that might be something weird in your map gen options. Did you change them or use an old versions? Placing rivers and resources tends to be the longest part if it stalls at all.

On another note, incoming succession fort world with 24 civs has 255000 inhabitants and took nearly 8 hours to generate. There are two potential sites, one has a strip of terrifying swamp but lots of iron and flux, the other is more peaceful, but only has a ton of copper and silver.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 21, 2017

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I hope the future dwarven economy implements mania-fueled ingredient price bubbles every time someone gets a mood

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

You'll want to make sure there's lots of private room space for the guests; I'm pretty sure vampires will only attack lone individuals, and I think generally only if they're sleeping. Do regular non-naturalized tavern guests sleep in tavern rooms? My previous taverns were too much of a clusterfuck to tell.

I know they'll claim tavern rooms you set up but I'm not sure if I've ever actually seen any of them using it.

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

Okay...?

a few DRUNK BONERS
Mar 25, 2016

A monitor is a lizard

Nosfereefer
Jun 15, 2011

That's a bummer.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Now you will know why you fear the night.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

So Math posted:

:golfclap: How do you get the description to wrap?

I dunno, it just does that by itself in the "design symbol" menu at embarkation. You could probably also manually resize the window.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Internet Kraken posted:

Keep in mind Komodo Dragons are a variety of monitor lizard.

a Were-Komodo would be goddamn terrifying.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Internet Kraken posted:

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
So thats why none of my dwarves made it out of that hallway.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I had been neglecting my military for a long time, and thought I would promote a 13 year old dwarf to be captain. She was born and raised in my fort after all, and at this point is the only non-skilled member of the fortress.

The first thing she did was beat the everloving poo poo out of my master mason. I don't know what he did to earn a punishment. Maybe too many missed mandates? If so, half my fort is going to be in the hospital.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

captain innocuous posted:

I had been neglecting my military for a long time, and thought I would promote a 13 year old dwarf to be captain. She was born and raised in my fort after all, and at this point is the only non-skilled member of the fortress.

The first thing she did was beat the everloving poo poo out of my master mason. I don't know what he did to earn a punishment. Maybe too many missed mandates? If so, half my fort is going to be in the hospital.

There's a justice screen that I think appears once you have a captain/sheriff which will tell you what crimes are awaiting what punishments.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Keep in mind Komodo Dragons are a variety of monitor lizard.

a Were-Komodo would be goddamn terrifying.

Except that the komodo dragon tactic is to bite you and then just hang out till it's ultra nasty mouth germs kills you.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i genuinely dont understand why anyone would ever appoint a sheriff or hammerer, except to make their game harder. they dont contribute anything and they make a bad system (nobles) worse

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

Except that the komodo dragon tactic is to bite you and then just hang out till it's ultra nasty mouth germs kills you.

Turns out that germ thing is a myth, they have actual venom after all.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
They're also perfectly willing to just rip things apart right then and there while its still alive if they're hungry enough.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Verviticus posted:

i genuinely dont understand why anyone would ever appoint a sheriff or hammerer, except to make their game harder. they dont contribute anything and they make a bad system (nobles) worse

It's more about the simulation and story-telling. The "game" portion isn't hard to master. The overall point is how everything interacts to provide interesting stories.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Yeah, generating Fun is absolutely the reason you indulge the existence of dwarven nobility. Sometimes your Dwarven Impeachment Lever sets the fort on fire. Sometimes the mayor demands everyone with even novice skill in stonecrafting hammered 30 times because your fortress isn't capable of meeting their demands for petrified wood earrings. Sometimes that includes the mayor themselves. It's great.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

See also: the time my husband was running a a fort and his best engraver got in a fight with a dwarf who detested rats, then walked around the fortress engraving masterful images of said other dwarf terrified and surrounded by rats.

No meaningful benefit to the fortress, but an unforgettable example of procedural storytelling.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Angry Diplomat posted:

See also: the time my husband was running a a fort and his best engraver got in a fight with a dwarf who detested rats, then walked around the fortress engraving masterful images of said other dwarf terrified and surrounded by rats.

No meaningful benefit to the fortress, but an unforgettable example of procedural storytelling.

Wouldn't the rat-fearing Dwarf also get upset by all the depictions of rats? I think I've heard that's a thing that can happen

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Wouldn't the rat-fearing Dwarf also get upset by all the depictions of rats? I think I've heard that's a thing that can happen

I dunno but I definitely remember one of the engravings ending up in his room.

Urist Gatinbomrek has created a masterpiece petty vengeance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Verviticus posted:

I never do it. I really like the concept of the guards - especially with the new updates to thieving adventurers stealing my stuff - but they kill dwarves a lot unless you intentionally keep them gimped and then that kind of defeats the point of guards for me. Although maybe that's different now that there's nonlethal combat and whatnot?

It would be really cool if I could imprison some humans for a month or two for starting a nasty bar brawl which then pissed off the local town's lord who is petty and a dick and then that might escalate... or maybe I just let them off the hook but then that pisses off the local elf settlement because the humans beat the crap out of some elves pretty bad. But as it is now, eh.

It is cool when you can use it to put a guilty verdict on a vampire for murder, though.

e:

If this was working that'd be nice! :redhammer:

quote:

Conspiracy to Slow Labor - deliberately slowing down the workflow of the fortress by delaying jobs (currently does not happen)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Dec 22, 2017