Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It genuinely matters less if a Pomeranian is violent because (this is an important detail) it is not extremely easy for a Pomeranian to rip out your throat, killing you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Humans don't deserve dogs, some breeds are just more aware of that than others.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
I personally think that you shouldn't be allowed to breed purebreds. Most of them are physically hosed up so it's basically animal abuse. Like you can still get a cute mutt that looks like whatever breed you are so obsessed with having with a lesser risk of them having seizures, their eyes popping out of their head or not being able to breath.
Like I would love to get a Shiba Inu but I'm not going to because 1. I have very bad social anxiety so long walks every day isn't likely to happen and 2. they have known health problems. I have a cat I had to let go off because he lived with my parents for a while and I saw how much better it was for him to be outside in a rural area than being cooped up in a tiny apartment. He was a great emotional support and helped me a lot with my anxiety but he's an actual living being and not here for my "amusement".
But the problem is that people who mostly get purebreds are people who don't really care because they see their animals as accessories.

I miss my coon mutt :(

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarcopenia posted:

I personally think that you shouldn't be allowed to breed purebreds. Most of them are physically hosed up so it's basically animal abuse. Like you can still get a cute mutt that looks like whatever breed you are so obsessed with having with a lesser risk of them having seizures, their eyes popping out of their head or not being able to breath.
Like I would love to get a Shiba Inu but I'm not going to because 1. I have very bad social anxiety so long walks every day isn't likely to happen and 2. they have known health problems. I have a cat I had to let go off because he lived with my parents for a while and I saw how much better it was for him to be outside in a rural area than being cooped up in a tiny apartment. He was a great emotional support and helped me a lot with my anxiety but he's an actual living being and not here for my "amusement".
But the problem is that people who mostly get purebreds are people who don't really care because they see their animals as accessories.

I miss my coon mutt :(

The best dog I ever had was half pit/half miscellaneous. Just a fat, lazy slug of a dog.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Randaconda posted:

The best dog I ever had was half pit/half miscellaneous. Just a fat, lazy slug of a dog.

So a goon mutt.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Jedit posted:

Same story I linked up the thread, except I got mine from a legitimate news source.
Whoops, I missed your post up there.

pookel
Oct 27, 2011

Ultra Carp

Pick posted:

It genuinely matters less if a Pomeranian is violent because (this is an important detail) it is not extremely easy for a Pomeranian to rip out your throat, killing you
But still, never, ever leave one alone with a newborn. I once read through the Wikipedia list of fatal dog attacks over the years, and it included Poms as well as cocker spaniels and even chihuahuas, iirc. Pretty much all the victims in those cases were babies who had been left alone with the dog.

The small pile of fluff in my avatar weighs 15 lbs and is usually as sweet as she looks, but I still don't let her out of arms' reach if there's a baby or toddler in the room.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In summary, dogs are a land of contradiction.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don’t leave any animal with a baby, even pet rats have been known to chew off fingers and toes.

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
Humans are really dumb when it comes to animals they think are cute.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

StrangersInTheNight posted:

If we're talking serial killers, there's an active one around Long Island that hasn't been caught, though he hasn't struck in a while. Although it may be more than one, as "it is clear that the area in and around Gilgo Beach has been used to discard human remains for some period of time".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Island_serial_killer

i wonder why, if they've noticed an area is primo body dumping groun they don't stake it out or at least set up some game cameras

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Sarcopenia posted:

Humans are really dumb when it comes to animals they think are cute.

We've got a lot of love to give.

Somehow this didn't end up with us being a weird evolutionary footnote rather than the species that destroyed an entire planet, but I guess there's still time.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Randaconda posted:

I always leave the Amber Alerts on. :ohdearsass: Just in case.

i'm the opposite - i leave on disasters but turn off amber.

the world is overpopulated, we don't need more kids

DesolateRampage
Feb 16, 2011

maskenfreiheit posted:

That's really hosed up.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Dec 28, 2007

Kiss this and hang

DesolateRampage posted:

That's really hosed up.

It's also incorrect, classist and dog whistle racist :buddy:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

PetraCore posted:

I've heard reports where attacks by other breeds get recorded as pit bull attacks because 'pit bulls are the violent dogs', and I have no doubt it happens, but... dismissing it as 'pit bulls don't have any instinctive holdover from being bred for dog fights' is not good, either. It's a mess.

There's one record where a raccoon attack was reported as a pit bull. There was a hit-and-run identified as a pit bull. Dog bite statistics are crazily skewed because the person making the report will say any dog that looks vaguely bully is a pit, because pits are the current "bad dog." There are no standards, no genetic testing, and often the person who was attacked gets to identify what breed they think it was. On top of that news reports will say "pit bull" any chance they get because of ratings.

https://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/ineffective-policies/visual-breed-identification

https://stories.barkpost.com/study-proves-difficult-visually-identify-pit-bulls/

You want skewed statistics? That's how you get skewed statistics.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Dec 21, 2017

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

maskenfreiheit posted:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Pastry of the Year posted:

We've got a lot of love to give.

Somehow this didn't end up with us being a weird evolutionary footnote rather than the species that destroyed an entire planet, but I guess there's still time.

Definitely more time. Someone will build evil AIs that look cute as poo poo and we're hosed.

E: pretty sure Furby would have killed us if it had a bigger brain.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 22:01 on Dec 21, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:randpop:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Scathach posted:

There's one record where a raccoon attack was reported as a pit bull. There was a hit-and-run identified as a pit bull. Dog bite statistics are crazily skewed because the person making the report will say any dog that looks vaguely bully is a pit, because pits are the current "bad dog." There are no standards, no genetic testing, and often the person who was attacked gets to identify what breed they think it was. On top of that news reports will say "pit bull" any chance they get because of ratings.

It's really funny how pit bull defenders go out and buy or rescue dogs specifically because they look like pit bulls and act like pit bulls and they talk about how much they love pit bulls and they're perfectly happy to present them as pit bulls. But then as soon as one attacks they say wait a minute, that's not a pit bull, visual identification is difficult.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/accidents/Eight-months-pregnant-she-saved-her-mother-s-life-but-stabbed-her-dog-to-death_162992039
http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/crime/article53003700.html

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

So the first one was a massively neglected dog, the second one someone that neglected the child and likely the dogs too. That's not evidence one dog breed is aggressive, it's evidence that lovely people shouldn't have kids or dogs and people that don't understand neglected/abused animals shouldn't adopt special cases.

Like who the hell leaves a kid alone with any animal? "Here Timmy, you just take this horse and I'll be home tonight." Holy poo poo I wouldn't even leave a kid alone with my rat terrier.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Is there even a theoretical end to your apologia, or is it a religious belief?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Phanatic posted:

Okay, it's dumb for you to argue that 'pitbull attacks get skewed by misreporting' is apologia if there's evidence of that happening in a hit and run case. Abused dogs react aggressively. That's not defending the dogs because then they're aggressive dogs that you can't have around people. But by presenting it as breed exclusive and unrelated to neglect or abuse, aren't you sweeping animal abuse under the rug?

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Dogs that don't give warning before they attack have likely been abused by their owners into thinking that growling and the like will lead to punishment. Those are important safety signs that a dog is too stressed or afraid to feel safe and essentially abusing them out of the animal never leads to good things.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Sorry I don't make conclusions based on faulty anecdotal evidence :shrug: I mean if I went with that I'd also be on the side of "black men are more violent than white men" because they get arrested more, jailed more and reported in the news more than white men for the same crimes.

Anyway I like reading about creepy radiation poo poo and thus bring you the demon core.

https://nerdist.com/tickling-the-dragons-tail-the-story-of-the-demon-core/

Also creepy, I got "serial killers that were n....ecessary" in autocomplete while searching killers that were never caught. WTF Google.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Phanatic posted:

The plural of "anecdote" isn't "data".

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The American Bull Terrier is the worst dog ever and we should eliminate them from the face of the earth. Also any dog that is brown and black because all of those dogs are scary too (Doberman, Rottweiler, that one kind of dog from the movie K9 starring James Belushi, etc). Until these hell beasts have been tamed no man, woman, or child is safe.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

ewe2 posted:

What a stone cold sociopath and an insanely compromised legal system. Imagine if you didn't have an intelligent objective defence attorney in that situation. It must happen a lot, especially if the judge got suspended for 4 dodgy trials.

what's scary is if she hadn't murdered that last guy she might well have gotten away with it

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Scathach posted:

https://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/ineffective-policies/visual-breed-identification

https://stories.barkpost.com/study-proves-difficult-visually-identify-pit-bulls/

Next thing the news reports will be calling them "assault dogs."

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Scathach posted:

I honestly do not blame those dogs for eating that woman.

I am, however, pretty mad that another idiot owner made pit bulls all look like crazed killers.

they're good dogs brent

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've owned several pits, and I have never had a single problem with them.

But sure, let's demonize the whole breed so hand wringers can prove how tough on dogs they are, instead of dealing with the real problem of lovely owners.

Also, I feel like there's a weird racial element intertwined, as well, since a lot of African Americans own pit bulls.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang posted:

It's also incorrect, classist and dog whistle racist :buddy:

just because someone fakeposts something nihilistic doesn't mean they're a racist or classicist, i resent the implication

also if you'd taken a second to think, you'd realize i live in an affluent west country, whereas the types of people who use that logic in a racist way always think it's "those people who breed too much" that are the problem, not the soccer mom driving an suv to pick up a cup of starbucks that collective cost more carbon pumped into the atmosphere than thousands of subsistence farmers in sub saharan africa.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Pit bull defenders are literally the same as gun enthusiasts.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

As a not-nearly-as-sad corollary to the Elise the Great story, I have one of my own.

I work at several area hospital ORs and at one particular facility there is a gentleman who’s well-known to the ER and OR staff. He has been in on multiple occasions in the past year for surgery due to gangrenous fingers and toes. That’s not that unusual in patients with uncontrolled diabetes. What’s crazy is that because of the diabetic-related neuropathy he doesn’t feel it when his dogs and cats chew on his fingers and toes so he repeatedly comes in with animal bite and chew marks. He’s had to have repeat debridements and multiple amputations as well. I think he’s lost both feet and at least half a hand. What’s also crazy to me is that his wife and adult daughter live with him and does nothing to dissuade the animals from feasting. They just keep trucking him on back to the hospital...

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Groda posted:

Pit bull defenders are literally the same as gun enthusiasts.

pit bulls aren't the problem, people who abuse them are.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
do aliens count as unnerving?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/16/us/politics/pentagon-program-ufo-harry-reid.html

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Randaconda posted:

I've owned several pits, and I have never had a single problem with them.

But sure, let's demonize the whole breed so hand wringers can prove how tough on dogs they are, instead of dealing with the real problem of lovely owners.

Also, I feel like there's a weird racial element intertwined, as well, since a lot of African Americans own pit bulls.

This is a big part of the backlash against pit bulls. Back in the 50's and 60's Bull Terriers and Staffordshire Terriers were incredibly popular with white people. They were used as mascots for war bonds and widely celebrated. Then in the 70's and 80's black people started buying pitbulls and for some reason after that they become nationally known as vicious thug dogs who lust for the blood of the innocent.

They aren't the first dog breed to be villified in America. Bloodhounds were seen as vicious mankillers for many years.

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
The dog was hunting and found the easiest prey, human children.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Anything poor people like is automatically looked down upon and stigmatized. We can wrap race into that because of systemic problems, but really it all boils down to "poor people like this so it's bad." Same reason cheap beer and cheap food gets called "trashy." Poor people drink and eat it so fast food is "gross" and Busch Light is "trashy."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Here's a good (but sad) article about the pit bull/racism/classism thing. It has some good links, too.

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/the-ugly-racist-underpinnings-of-pit-bull-laws/