Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koalas March
May 21, 2007

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I wish Black Panther was out in time to watch around Christmas instead of another loving Star Wars movie.

Same. Especially if what I hear about them doing to Finn is true. gently caress Rian's dumbass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I wish Black Panther was out in time to watch around Christmas instead of another loving Star Wars movie.

It probably could, but after all that money Disney spent on acquiring Star Wars, they don't want to dare hurt the box office receipts.

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

VanSandman posted:

I just wanna know where can I talk about the Afro-Futurism aesthetic of this film and others with similar looks because I could see this becoming a whole thing.

"Afro-Futurism aesthetic" gave me flashback to the Alastair Reynolds book trology featuring a future where earth was rebuilt after only Africa survived the collapse of civilization. I remain convinced the whole thing was just an elaborate excuse to be able to make sentient elephants in spacesuits a credible event in our future.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Koalas March posted:

Alternately:

I wish this one was real so I could share the clip from Youtube (he says "insomnia" instead of "fascism" though). :smith:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

New Star Wars is a pretty obvious allegory for the 1970s though. Their heroes lost their way and it's up to the next generation to implement full communism now.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

quote:

I’m not ashamed to say it: I PRAY FOR PRESIDENT TRUMP!

You too, I’m sure!

I can tell you firsthand, Donald Trump needs and appreciates our prayers—for God’s wisdom and guidance, for His grace and protection, and for His will to be done and our nation blessed to the glory of God.

As committed followers of Jesus Christ, we are directed to pray for the leaders God has placed in authority across our land. All Americans—especially God’s people—could probably use a gentle reminder in these troubled times.

Not since 9/11 can I recall a time when our president needed praying Christians like you and me in his corner more than he does today.

https://twitter.com/RightWingWatch/status/943849503639171072?ref_src=twcamp%5Eshare%7Ctwsrc%5Em5%7Ctwgr%5Eemail%7Ctwcon%5E7046%7Ctwterm%5E1

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Koalas March posted:

Same. Especially if what I hear about them doing to Finn is true. gently caress Rian's dumbass.

What did they do? I just saw the movie and far as I can tell he was fine. Aside from one of the plotlines he took part in being messy and pointless.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think so 1 Tim 2:1-4

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Koalas March posted:

finn is fine and good in the movie. its just kinda underwelming. he has a decent arc too.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Mummy Xzibit posted:

Counterpoint: soup.

counter-counterpoint: a pasty is a stew sandwich

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

DaveWoo posted:

What the gently caress
Because of the filibuster, the Senate has different thresholds that a bill needs to clear in order to pass. It also has its own equivalent but independent subcommittees that a supplemental budget bill needs to pass. "Ignore this bill" doesn't necessarily mean "ignore the problem the bill addresses,"* it might just mean "Senate is doing their own version with different numbers".

*Or maybe it does! Who knows!

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

I'm actually shocked there's a person earning a million dollars a year that this bill raises taxes on. But you're sort of missing the point of how insidious this article is: it presents three "middle class" families that get a tax cut, then manages to somehow find the one unambiguiously wealthy person who gets a tax increase. It's trying to pretend that the bill isn't hilariously tilted towards the wealthy.

The real tell is earning $1m in wages. Nobody does that besides, like, sports stars. Everyone else who makes that much money has pass-through businesses, investment income, or some other structure that's tax-favored, not wages.

(i assume they realized they botched their math after they tweeted the link but updated the article anyway).

USA Today are the same people who did the "1 million less uninsured!" headline for the Senate version of Obamacare repeal.

Meaning it only uninsured 23 million, not 24 million.

There's somebody drinking the Trump Kool-Aid working there and writing some crazy spin.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

evilmiera posted:

What did they do? I just saw the movie and far as I can tell he was fine. Aside from one of the plotlines he took part in being messy and pointless.

Some people are taking the hug at the end to indicate that Finn is no longer in a romantic subplot with Rey, if, indeed, he ever was. Non-Han Solo Star Wars is so sexless it's kinda hard to tell.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

A million dollars in income and a renter lol

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Just like they prayed for Obama

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Bronze posted:

vs. Domino's

There's a lot of good articles from a few years ago about how Domino's isn't really a pizza company anymore, it's a tech company focused on delivery that just happens to deal in pizza. As someone who used to order a lot of lovely delivery I can attest that Domino's is a much better ordering experience than most other pizza places. If only cuz of the pizza tracker.

I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people — for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness. This is good, and pleases God our Savior, who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the truth.

but tell us more about how KING OBAMA is going to cancel the 2016 elections

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Stereotype posted:

I imagine a good number of millionaire start-up Tech Bros rent high-end furnished apartments.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Now what will he do when he's not sitting in his castle and counting the money he saved by underpaying his uninsured workers? :ohdear:

AceOfFlames posted:

Plus, they still have their uses (it would be awesome if this was in Deadpool 2 thanks t the Fox deal):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Tj3tx27_w

...I miss when Arrow was good better than what is is now.

Koalas March posted:

Finn was fine in the movie. He got to kill Boba Fett 2.0 (though Phasma did more than take credit for the work of others) but there's not much Finn could do in that movie to match the gently caress Yeah moments of several other characters. Especially Holdo (eventually) deciding to warp a Mon Calamari Cruiser through Snoke's flagship and the FO fleet.

Or Kylo Ren murdering Snoke and making the whole "who is Snoke" mystery irrelevant.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Dec 21, 2017

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I really like the new Star Wars. Rain essentially took the idea of "kill your heroes " and ran with it. Characters aren't beholden and have self-determination. The galaxy isn't good or bad, it is and systematic oppression exists outside of the First Order. Heroes will not save you, but they can be a guide

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Some people are taking the hug at the end to indicate that Finn is no longer in a romantic subplot with Rey, if, indeed, he ever was. Non-Han Solo Star Wars is so sexless it's kinda hard to tell.

why would he cheat on Poe?

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008

Stereotype posted:

If he's renting, why would he be paying any property taxes at all?

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

...I miss when Arrow was good better than what is is now.
I've gotten 2 different friends into watching The Flash. I have no regrets. I'm stoked for Black Lightning though.

quote:

Finn was fine in the movie. He got to kill Boba Fett 2.0 (though Phasma did more than take credit for the work of others) but there's not much Finn could do in that movie to match the gently caress Yeah moments of several other characters. Especially Holdo (eventually) deciding to warp a Mon Calamari Cruiser through Snoke's flagship and the FO fleet.

Or Kylo Ren murdering Snoke and making the whole "who is Snoke" mystery irrelevant.

I am too broke to go to the movies, so I'm just getting info second hand from friends and such. They are not happy lol.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

emptyspace posted:

If he's renting, why would he be paying any property taxes at all?

when you rent you're paying your share of your landlord's property tax on the structure

if you live under a roof, you pay property taxes. it just may not be your name on the bill

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

boner confessor posted:

when you rent you're paying your share of your landlord's property tax on the structure

not in a way that lets you deduct it though, and the USA Today suggested he was deducting property taxes as a renter

the real answer is just that the USA Today hosed up their wording and millionare wages guy is deducting $10k in income taxes, not property taxes

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
New Star Wars was loving great and Black Panther will be too. gently caress the Disney haters.

And goddamn this thread is boring when there’s no news.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Tfw the person in your info graphic donates more to charity than you make in annual income

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

evilweasel posted:

not in a way that lets you deduct it though, and the USA Today suggested he was deducting property taxes as a renter

ah word i didn't see the rest of the convo

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/KrupaliRai/status/943888286212349952
Requesting name change to Big Balls Botswana.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Koalas March posted:

They are not happy lol.

Yeah but why?

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium

evilweasel posted:

the real answer is just that the USA Today hosed up their wording and millionare wages guy is deducting $10k in income taxes, not property taxes

Minnesota allows you to deduct property taxes as a renter, but phases out at a pretty reasonable income level.

Edit:
http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/individuals/prop_tax_refund/pages/renters_property_tax_refund.aspx

quote:

For purposes of the renters refund, 17 percent of the rent you paid in 2016 is considered to be for property tax.

The maximum renters refund for 2016 is $2,060. The information below will help you determine if you qualify and how to claim a refund.

Cru Jones fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 21, 2017

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kjhealy/status/943850012685070337/photo/1

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I've gotten 2 different friends into watching The Flash. I have no regrets. I'm stoked for Black Lightning though.

I am too broke to go to the movies, so I'm just getting info second hand from friends and such. They are not happy lol.

You like The Flash and say gently caress Rian Johnson without having seen the movie. Hmm yes you seem to be a good source for what is and isn’t good.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

5. An Elderly Married Couple With Assets Valued At $30 Million, Who Dies In 2018

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/943963779028500480

i just wanted to show this treat from the alt right mock thread. holy poo poo is he dumb on multiple levels.

Koalas March posted:

i liked it. it has issues, mostly pacing, but its not reactionary or anything. its pretty loving progressive in interesting ways.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I was disappointed by the new Star Wars if only because the seem physically incapable of not following the old movies to the letter. gently caress, if you're going to do something, do something new, don't just redo the old movies with different scenery and some different twists.

Also the script desperately needed an editor

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I was disappointed by the new Star Wars if only because the seem physically incapable of not following the old movies to the letter. gently caress, if you're going to do something, do something new, don't just redo the old movies with different scenery and some different twists.

What? It literally broke the format of every other Star Wars...

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Acebuckeye13 posted:

people turning out to see star wars in 2017 definitely do not want deviations from the norm

it's basically the picadilly cafeteria of franchises. nice hot, filling content, not too flavorful, just like it was last time

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
New Star Wars sucked on a structural and editing level but because it pissed off fanboys with its plot decisions it's being hailed as great by many.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Oh I bet they're going to have storm in the new black panther movie since they have the rights now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

the entire point of TLJ was to poo poo on past Star Wars films :laffo:

• Locked thread